◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,805 comments
Yep. Oh well. Ascari will return.

Sure... and once we see evidence of a second pedal being used regularly when needed, Ascari may even be enjoyed... Just sayin' - some things are optional, and others, when stated as "Must not..." or similar verbiage, means...

Do what you absolutely have to do to make sure you "not" the "must not" condition.

It ain't 'fast' if it doesn't follow the rules. Seems simple 'nuff.

I do believe Ascari will return as well, and if people want to take so much time policing the races, then so be it.

The ruling is the way it is for good reason. We cannot have rules where discretion will play in or "grey areas". If you're allowed to hit " some" grass then who's to say what " some" is. It has to be grass or no grass and well, if you go with grass then those turns turn into straight thrus, no need to slow and take the turn as intended by design.

Last edited:
We already have the rule of two wheels on track at all times. Treating the chicane sides as ruble strips just seems more as the way they were designed to be run. Has anyone done any research on the real track to see how they are handled in real racing?

I agree, Ascari's gotta go. I hate that first chicane, in fact I hate all of the chicanes on that track. I got 3 IR's for cutting them. That's only the three I got spanked for, there were many others. My bad. Really, who can truthfully say they never cut one corner on that track during the race? I didn't gain any time or positions
I don't know about anyone else, but, I can only drive one car. I'm to busy hanging on for dear life driving that car to worry if some guy cut a chicane, let alone file IR's on it.

Who reviews IRs for Div. 7?

Let's see... No IRs for my first 5 months in snail....stewart joins the division.....5 IRs filed in three race weekends all by the same guy, who just happens to be a stewart......hmmmm.

Fun factor for me took a hit this weekend.

We already have the rule of two wheels on track at all times. Treating the chicane sides as ruble strips just seems more as the way they were designed to be run. Has anyone done any research on the real track to see how they are handled in real racing?

See the post just before yours.

Really, who can truthfully say they never cut one corner on that track during the race?

I'm pretty sure I made all Laps clean, and I was competitive in my division. Meaning... I wasn't poosyfuttin around in last just trying to stay within track limits. We were given the heads up on this. No surprises here. Actually, from what I've seen (and I'm not a steward), I'd say ALL of D4 did a fantastic job at Ascari and the chicanes. Super strong effort to do it right!

GTP_very post: 10379739
Wrong. There are several clubs that use ascari for actual club racing. Just like willow springs. it is not only for hot lapping.

Clubs use it for track days and practices ,. Everything I've read or see says no passing is done. I could be wrong....happens lots

I'm pretty sure I made all Laps clean, and I was competitive in my division. Meaning... I wasn't poosyfuttin around in last just trying to stay within track limits. We were given the heads up on this. No surprises here. Actually, from what I've seen (and I'm not a steward), I'd say ALL of D4 did a fantastic job at Ascari and the chicanes. Super strong effort to do it right!
Its not an impossible feat, like some would have you believe

In regards to issues with Ascari. When we raced there last (March 16th and March 23rd), there was some very heavy discussion and debating over the chicanes. Here are the two posts that led us to the current guidelines and @JLBowler's post on the track boundaries from the track boundry guideline post.

Even if you weren't here in March to have been a part of the discussion, that does not exempt you from knowing the track boundaries for the tracks we are racing at.

I love the white line rule at Ascari, with one exception, the chicanes. Adhering to the white line rule through them seriously interrupts the flow of the track. It appears to me they were shaved down specifically for this purpose.

I think a special case for the chicanes at Ascari could be made and that the rule should be that while the concrete triangle thingies (technical term) are considered part of the track, two wheels in the grass through them would be considered out of bounds.

This video illustrates the areas well:

Notice the cones indicating out of bounds.

Never let it be said that I am not flexible or that I am unwilling to change. After reading fizzers post about the chicanes at Ascari and watching the video he posted and many other lap videos of the track. There will be an exception to the white line rule for Ascari.

Both chicanes will have the concrete triangles considered part of the track but you must have all four wheels on the paved area. Any contact with the grass to the inside will result in a penalty from the stewards. After watching the videos it is quite clear that the original rumble strips were ground down for safety due to the fact that this track is driven by amateur drivers in very expensive cars a lot of the time. The track places cones on the edge of the grass to keep drivers off the grass area.

D3 can guarantee that someone will be watching every driver go through the chicanes on every lap.

As for the guys that are cheating in qualifying. It's not something new that is going to happen at Ascari that hasn't been happening anywhere else. Even with the lines showing up, there is still no replay so we still have no video evidence. People are cheating in qualifying and it's pretty obvious.

Watch for the full details of track boundaries in this weeks upcoming edition of "Points of Interest"

Truncated to only include Ascari.

Points of Interest

This week S.N.A.I.L. will be running at Ascari Race Resort, Cape Ring, and Spa Francorchamps. Ascari is making it's second straight appearance in S.N.A.I.L., Cape Ring is making it's GT6 S.N.A.I.L. debut, and Spa Francorchamps is making it's fourth straight appearance. Without further ado, here are your points of interest for this week.

Ascari Race Resort
ascari_map.gif
The Ascari Race Resort offers an impressive closed circuit where you can enjoy the speed in its purest form, without limits but always with a maximum safety. With 26 corners (13 left hand and 13 right hand corners) and incredible cambers and slopes, the Ascari circuit proud to be the longest track in Spain thanks to its length of 5,425 meters ,with the possibility to divide into three different sections or combinations.

The circuit is built with the highest quality, with a width of 12,2 meters throughout the whole length, the asphalt pavement gives a perfect balance between grip and tire wear as well as being an excellent drainage.

The above was taken from the Ascari Race Resort web page. Being that the track is a private resort and specializes in renting cars to customers or allowing them to drive their own cars on the track, they don't host actual races so the things we are used to seeing in a race track are not always present. The most glaring example would be that there are no proper rumble strips at Ascari. With this in mind, the track boundaries are a little different here. The white line serves as the boundary with the only exceptions coming at the chicanes on the track that have the wide areas of painted concrete. They will be shown in the photos below. The painted mounds at the edge of the track are NOT rumble strips and are NOT part of the track at any place on the track.

Two shots from the first chicane. You may use the painted areas as track but you must not put any part of any tire on the grass.

NKxy0Pv.jpg

RBTZEcS.jpg

Two shots from the second chicane. It's the same as the first. You may use the painted area as track but you must not put a tire on the grass.

bLMD1AG.jpg
JDUYSMD.jpg

If it looks like this then the white line is the boundary. You must have two tires on or inside the white line.

XsGkArN.jpg

Back