◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,840 comments
Mine is still in 2 sections. I used 2 bar clamps Sunday night to hold them together. It was really solid. I just installed my GTEYE spring last night, though. So I'm not sure how much harder I'll be pushing under braking now.

Oh good God. That's all we needed.

They're saying if you enable "no collisions" it disables draft in Free Run. Wha? What a mess.

Have you guys attached the seat to the front section? Dabneyd - would be easy to create an abs bottom loop for the seat box to sit in and keep it from pushing away. You could still pull out the seat and hang up your abs section as normal.

Mine is still in 2 sections. I used 2 bar clamps Sunday night to hold them together. It was really solid. I just installed my GTEYE spring last night, though. So I'm not sure how much harder I'll be pushing under braking now.

Mine is still in two pieces as well. I don't really have any issue with the seat sliding, I built a base out of 2x4's and put some hook-side velcro on the bottom.

ykPn9.jpg

Yesterday was the first day I used the GTEYE spring as well.

Oh good God. That's all we needed.

They're saying if you enable "no collisions" it disables draft in Free Run. Wha? What a mess.

That's because every car is ghosted with 'no collisions' I think....can't hit something that isn't actually there :lol:

So, if we turn the draft off for qualifying, whoever is slowest will have to exit out and turn it back on for the race so as to not affect the grid :crazy:

tezgm99
That's because every car is ghosted with 'no collisions' I think....can't hit something that isn't actually there :lol:

So, if we turn the draft off for qualifying, whoever is slowest will have to exit out and turn it back on for the race so as to not affect the grid :crazy:

Usually a drivers grid spot is held as long as a driver doesn't enter car settings menu.

I think if you get off of the track (or out of the pit) you will lose your spot. (In other words, if the number of racers on track goes down by one) This will be necessary for anyone to change settings.

Got my racing rig mostly done this weekend. Still need to build a mount for the shifter and maybe make the pedals adjustable.

Includes:
MR2 seat
About $60 worth of wood, bolts, and screws
GTEYE brake spring

racerig.jpg

Is your seat frame connected to the wheel/petal mount/frame? That is what I'm going for with setup #2.

nvm

Last edited:
I'll bet a pair of U-shaped brackets made of those same two-bys would hold them together nicely and be easily removed for storage, etc. (If the seat and its support aren't in the way.)

I'll bet a pair of U-shaped brackets made of those same two-bys would hold them together nicely and be easily removed for storage, etc. (If the seat and its support aren't in the way.)

Or long bolts and wing nuts for easy removal.

I do not have a problem with draft being on for qualifying. It would be in real life so why not in S.N.A.I.L.? We all have the same opportunity to take advantage of it. In fact I feel it would add a bit more strategy to qualifying.:sly: The fastest racer is not always the fastest qualifier:)

I have a bigger issue with ghosting cars. Now that is just so unreal I feel it takes away from the racing.:crazy:

Unless turning collision detection back on resets the grid like turning tire wire on or off does.

And qualifying is usually done away from other cars so as not to affect your times.

Unless turning collision detection back on resets the grid like turning tire wire on or off does.

And qualifying is usually done away from other cars so as not to affect your times.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow night at practice :lol:

Yeah, I know it's always said prior to qualifying to distance yourself from the car in front...but not everyone bothers listening to that unfortunately :indiff:

\.

If that's the case then we don't really have a choice but to deal with the draft. I guess we'd just have to be extra careful about allowing plenty of room between drivers

If that's the case then we don't really have a choice but to deal with the draft. I guess we'd just have to be extra careful about allowing plenty of room between drivers

We do need a policy on this, saying 'leave enough room' isn't specific enough, in my humble opinion. At the risk of having to introduce yet more rules ...

Vol's running some STaTs testing tonight, we can do some farting around with the new options and report back.

Kaz, Kaz, Kaz, don't you know about S.N.A.I.L. and our requirements???

we could run a qualifying race and that way it would be monitored by saving the replay.
no draft no colision for qualify

Except for the guy in front…
Well that is where strategy comes in. Don't be out front.

Why not in SNAIL? Because drafting is too strong in GT5.
If we all feel that the draft is to strong when set to weak why not just turn it off? Because we like having some draft. We are stuck with what the game allows us we just need to make the most of it. Would you rather have some draft or no draft? Collisions or no collisions?

I vote for Collisions and drafts. If that means I am out qualified because someone got a good draft then fine. I will try to get a good draft while they are in front of me during the race. The only exception I see this is for ovals. For that I think Drafting should be off to better reflect the real life situation for qualifying in real life.

just my $.02

I really don't like that idea. The stewards have enough to do. Also, your best lap won't determine your qualifying position. Only your final position will.

Also:

Well that is where strategy comes in. Don't be out front.

That's not strategy. That's everyone sandbagging until someone gets tired of it. You'd end up with everyone bunched together on the out lap trying to get other people to go in front of them.

If we all feel that the draft is to strong when set to weak why not just turn it off? Because we like having some draft.
Turning draft off during races has never been an option. It was always weak or strong.

We are stuck with what the game allows us we just need to make the most of it. Would you rather have some draft or no draft? Collisions or no collisions?
During a race? Some draft and collisions. During practice? No draft and whatever for collisions. The problem is the probable lack of being able to change it between…though I haven't tested any of it.

All said it's a mess. If they are going to change something like this they should have made separate options. Collisions yes/no and drafting yes/no. Don't lump two rather unrelated things together. It's like the penalties/ghosting thing. Penalties without ghosting would be excellent. PD doesn't allow for that, though.

I personally don't see a problem with draft being on for qualifying. In every real racing series I've ever been a part of it exists and you just plan accordingly for your lap. Some people might find an advantage from drafting during qualifying but it's not going to be every track with every car. For example at Deep Forest how much of an advantage in the Tesla do you think there was from the draft? I know for me it wasn't enough to draft passed anyone unless I was right on someones tail and they messed up the last corner. I don't think I went any faster in the race because of the draft than qualifying. Yea some tracks and cars there will be an advantage so then you just make sure you're close enough to get in the draft. I think trying to police it or outlaw drafting in qualifying is a bad idea.

I think the bigger problem is that qualifying is going to devolve into a race. With draft as strong as it is in GT5 you're either going to be out of it or you're going to be on the next car's tail after a straight. Then you've got (at least) two cars right next to each other with both trying to run a hot lap. The behind driver is either going to have to let up or try to pass the ahead driver. . . not a good situation for qualifying.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of a small issue, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

Me im not ok whit drafting in the qualifying for that reason...If u want to have a good time u need to work for n not waiting for a draft n make you start in the top n do TRAFFIC because u not fast. Reverse result after the 1st race is enough for give chance to all. If u cant work ur time whitout draftin u need to work more.

I'm gonna have to side with Hill on this one. At most tracks, the draft won't even be an issue. And when it does become an issue, I still cant picture it being a deciding factor. If you're sandbagging to get a good draft off someone, you'll obviously loose time through the corners, and there's no garuntee you'll make it all back up on the straights. Even if you do, that just gives the person behind you the option to draft off of you.

Will this lead to an increase in "racing" durring qualifying? Probably yes.

But the drivers who qualify the best will not be the ones who are racing, it will be the ones who play their cards right and leave optimal spacing to be able to get through turns quick AND catch the draft on straights.

If anything, this change would make the smart driver less inclined to "race" with his oponents, not more so. There's no advantage to be gained by jockying for position with other drivers.

Back