◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,838 comments
For most of our Divisions though, the differences in times between drivers is not great. Do you want someone else to get pole position over you because they were able to gain a tenth on the last straight because of a draft?

Just asking :)

I say leave it how it is. If anything, turn collisions off during qualifying and it becomes a true test of who can hot-lap the fastest.

I say leave it how it is. If anything, turn collisions off during qualifying and it becomes a true test of who can hot-lap the fastest.

If this is a possibilty then yes, do that by all means. I'm just saying that I won't be heartbroken if its not

And cheeb, no I wouldn't like being beat like that, but I would prefer to have to deal with that possibility than jump through a bunch of unnecesary hoops to get the grid lined up

I'm all for turning it off during qualifying. The problem is that one of the last place qualifiers will probably have to back out and switch the setting. Is this something that seems coordinateable?

Your qualifying is about how fast YOU can go. Not how fast you can go with help.

The guy being drafted is being used IMO. I personally won't go for that. Plan on me pulling off if anyone attempts to steal time by using my draft. Like as in zapping back to pits.

That's what I said two pages ago, Ap :lol:

Your qualifying is about how fast YOU can go. Not how fast you can go with help.

The guy being drafted is being used IMO. I personally won't go for that. Plan on me pulling off if anyone attempts to steal time by using my draft.

Either that or brake-checking....can easily get away with doing it by claiming you're creating space to the car in front :sly:

I'm all for turning it off during qualifying. The problem is that one of the last place qualifiers will probably have to back out and switch the setting. Is this something that seems coordinateable?

coordinateable?, yes last place qualifier resets it!

For most of our Divisions though, the differences in times between drivers is not great. Do you want someone else to get pole position over you because they were able to gain a tenth on the last straight because of a draft?

Just asking :)

If I'm not good enough at my strategy in qualifying to figure out how to use the draft to my advantage then I don't deserve pole just like if I'm not good enough to figure out the fastest line I don't deserve pole. It's part of racing and the good drivers will still rise to the top. Besides if you lose pole you can still win the race. Honestly though most of the tracks won't give enough advantage for it to matter. Those that do people will have to figure it out. Also some people will have trouble using the draft and not braking to late trying to draft which will throw away the time gained.

hillracing
If I'm not good enough at my strategy in qualifying to figure out how to use the draft to my advantage then I don't deserve pole just like if I'm not good enough to figure out the fastest line I don't deserve pole. It's part of racing and the good drivers will still rise to the top. Besides if you lose pole you can still win the race. Honestly though most of the tracks won't give enough advantage for it to matter. Those that do people will have to figure it out. Also some people will have trouble using the draft and not braking to late trying to draft which will throw away the time gained.

Or two people practice during the week pushing each other and we all get smacked come Wednesday.

Draft and qualifying is a failure anyway you slice it. Qualifying is about the driver and his ability to run the course. Adding in anything that gives advantage based on circumstance is not the goal of qualifying.

tezgm99
Devious and Mopar rocked at that....they'd be 1-2 every session in D1 with drafting :lol:

Exactly.

We will have to wait and see what the bosses say.

Right we can only express concerns. Ultimately the choice will be theirs.

I'm gonna have to side with Hill on this one. At most tracks, the draft won't even be an issue. And when it does become an issue, I still cant picture it being a deciding factor. If you're sandbagging to get a good draft off someone, you'll obviously loose time through the corners, and there's no garuntee you'll make it all back up on the straights. Even if you do, that just gives the person behind you the option to draft off of you.

Will this lead to an increase in "racing" durring qualifying? Probably yes.

But the drivers who qualify the best will not be the ones who are racing, it will be the ones who play their cards right and leave optimal spacing to be able to get through turns quick AND catch the draft on straights.

If anything, this change would make the smart driver less inclined to "race" with his oponents, not more so. There's no advantage to be gained by jockying for position with other drivers.
👍

Or two people practice during the week pushing each other and we all get smacked come Wednesday.

Draft and qualifying is a failure anyway you slice it. Qualifying is about the driver and his ability to run the course. Adding in anything that gives advantage based on circumstance is not the goal of qualifying.

So find someone to work with in qualifying. I used to do that in karting all the time. Some tracks it was way faster to work with someone so you'd find a friend and work with them to get better times together. If you are behind you push the guy in front and you both get a good time. Sometimes it doesn't work out though look at Monza for Ferrari this year they tried it and couldn't make it work.

Honestly though most of the tracks won't give enough advantage for it to matter.
The problem is that most of the tracks are fast tracks...
The guy being drafted is being used IMO....
I'm with you on that.
Bump drafting can make you a lot faster...I experienced that recently with someone in the Camaro cup. ;)

My two cents, goto your local track, Waterford Hill for me, on a track day, and see how they run qualifying. Everyone's out there running times, with no options for turning off drafts or collisions. At best they do qualifying in a few tiers, but you never run alone, with the ability to turn stuff off. I have no issue with the draft. I will differ if it turns out that collision can be turned off, without wiping the feild. Otherwise, I vote draft and collision on.

I think this will spread the gap between the fastest and the slowest in each division.The slowest people in each division won't be able to figure what they are doing wrong (racing line/track section...) if any of both parties are using the draft.

coordinateable?, yes last place qualifier resets it!

That's the problem. Tell that to the last place qualifier in D5 who never reads the thread, won't listen to the coordinator, and doesn't speak English natively…

So find someone to work with in qualifying. I used to do that in karting all the time. Some tracks it was way faster to work with someone so you'd find a friend and work with them to get better times together. If you are behind you push the guy in front and you both get a good time. Sometimes it doesn't work out though look at Monza for Ferrari this year they tried it and couldn't make it work.

So now we're supposed to work on teamwork for qualifying? Suddenly it's becoming an entirely different league.

My two cents, goto your local track, Waterford Hill for me, on a track day, and see how they run qualifying. Everyone's out there running times, with no options for turning off drafts or collisions. At best they do qualifying in a few tiers, but you never run alone, with the ability to turn stuff off. I have no issue with the draft. I will differ if it turns out that collision can be turned off, without wiping the feild. Otherwise, I vote draft and collision on.

I'll bet the draft at Waterford Hill isn't even a quarter as strong as it is in GT5.

That's the problem. Tell that to the last place qualifier in D5 who never reads the thread, won't listen to the coordinator, and doesn't speak English natively…

So now we're supposed to work on teamwork for qualifying? Suddenly it's becoming an entirely different league.

I'll bet the draft at Waterford Hill isn't even a quarter as strong as it is in GT5.

Nope. But that is semantics we could go on and on about. I was just stating my opinion on the subject, and my reasoning for it. However. Turning collision off altogether, lends itself well to qualifying since you don't really have to worry about that car you just caught in the middle of a good run. Just breeze through and rock that good lap.

Alright guys, here's the lowdown. We're gonna have to deal with drafting during qualifying, as turning collision detection on and off DOES reset the room. There is no way around this, no way to do a race for qualifying, etc.

Oh well, maybe add an extra minute in qualifying to let everyone get on the track with ample room for their ten minutes.

EDIT: May I suggest letting everyone on the track in no specific order, and having us all pause our game to let the car roll around. This way we can get everyone evenly spaced and then once everyone is on the track with lots of room, start our ten minutes before the first car out hits the last corner. Or maybe just letting us use a first free lap to get our tires warm as we see fit, etc. We could play around with it during practice tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well. That's that then. Quick vote. On or off. No need to bicker, we all got a gist of all the pros and cons. We the snails speak. And the mighty zero car will grace us with which direction we shall go.

It worked for Massa, and would have worked for Alonso had his sway bar stayed in one piece. :lol:

Fair enough Rally. Considering that changing the collision settings resets the field, its seems like the most reasonable thing to do is to leave everything the same as it was, and learn to deal with the draft. That's my vote.

There's no need to vote. Collisions during the race are more important to me than not drafting during qualifying. I'd venture a guess that's true for the vast majority.

Sorry AP. Wasn't even thinking about that issue. Indeed. That is a pretty strong trump card. Anyone up for some impromptu cat and mouse?

Back