◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,844 comments
Yeah. Because D2 is so competitive we rarely win a prize. No one wins more than two or three races a night.

Indeed. I missed 1st by 1 point and I didn't win any races. That was a big part of what I liked about this week so much. I don't need D2 to win any prizes to enjoy SNAIL if the racing is that close. Every single person in our division can potentially win any race. Love it.

The Prize A and Prize B winners are clear of any complaints so the new combinations may be announced.

Hold on to Prize C, though.

I think I'll be doing some racing tonight. Hopefully we can hear about the new combos soon and I'll hold a break-in session.

Indeed. I missed 1st by 1 point and I didn't win any races. That was a big part of what I liked about this week so much. I don't need D2 to win any prizes to enjoy SNAIL if the racing is that close. Every single person in our division can potentially win any race. Love it.

Very well said!

Well when I first join SNAIL, I could barely keep up with anyone in D5, but I've grown as a driver so it should be learned that people can change speeds in a matter of days or weeks. Just sayin.

So.... help me, Dangerzone, I got here some time ago...

"Just sayin...". it's not like I am trying to be a Pinata.

Whatcher point son?

Then again... whatever. Or ... LOL! or... WTF - ROFLMAO, ROXXOR!

I guess...Enjoy?

The discussion isn't on your uberness. Danger, it's on keeping racing tight, and fun, and all divisions 'engaged' in what is going on. No more than that.

G'Night, I s'pose.

I'd like to join the league. I'm up for some clean spec racing.

Hi Worst_Driver,
Thanks for your interest. You've come to the right place if you're looking for clean spec racing. :)

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You run the Time Trial. (NOTE: The tires used for this have more grip than our current tire regulations call for, but please follow the exact directions anyways).
2. You PM me with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
3. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
4. I send you a you a PSN friend request from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all S.N.A.I.L.s to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Well when I first join SNAIL, I could barely keep up with anyone in D5, but I've grown as a driver so it should be learned that people can change speeds in a matter of days or weeks. Just sayin.
So.... help me, Dangerzone, I got here some time ago...

"Just sayin...". it's not like I am trying to be a Pinata.

Whatcher point son?
I feel there is a misconception that with enough practice we can all be Aliens. That is just not going to happen. People will peak at different levels and that is fine as long as we all get to have close clean racing. Do I want to be as fast as the D1 guys? Sure. Is it going to happen? Not likely. But I will enjoy racing in whatever division I am currently in as long as the racing is close. I would rather lose a close race than be lapping out front by myself.

I look forward to when the divisions fill up and start to level out:)

As far as the points/prize/collective Borg Nerdiffery goes, I will go with whatever the league decides but from my perspective, I AM that privateer. I don't see myself ever being in the position of picking a combo. Week in and week out I set personal goals (finish without a serious shunt/consistent lap times/top 5 finish etc.) Small potatoes for some of the better drivers but it is one of the many things that brings me back every Sunday night. After almost 8 months of SNAIL'ing, last night I collected my very first win! Epic achievement but I still have so much to learn. All things aside, this is why I am so proud to belong to this league. I am not the best driver but all the folks here make it so much fun to come back week after week no matter what my results and make me WANT to try harder and never give up. I won't call anyone out, but there are a handful of other drivers in this league that really inspire me. There have been times that I just want to give up because I am so lame at times but I watch these other drivers that do no better than I do and some have even less stellar results but they are here week in and week out and to top it off, they are an important cog in the SNAIL machine. My hats off to those that don't win (or even do all that well at times) but still show up and contribute to what makes us all so happy. Thank you all for your efforts and determination and if I can win one, so can you all!!

As far as the points/prize/collective Borg Nerdiffery goes, I will go with whatever the league decides but from my perspective, I AM that privateer. I don't see myself ever being in the position of picking a combo. Week in and week out I set personal goals (finish without a serious shunt/consistent lap times/top 5 finish etc.) Small potatoes for some of the better drivers but it is one of the many things that brings me back every Sunday night. After almost 8 months of SNAIL'ing, last night I collected my very first win! Epic achievement but I still have so much to learn. All things aside, this is why I am so proud to belong to this league. I am not the best driver but all the folks here make it so much fun to come back week after week no matter what my results and make me WANT to try harder and never give up. I won't call anyone out, but there are a handful of other drivers in this league that really inspire me. There have been times that I just want to give up because I am so lame at times but I watch these other drivers that do no better than I do and some have even less stellar results but they are here week in and week out and to top it off, they are an important cog in the SNAIL machine. My hats off to those that don't win (or even do all that well at times) but still show up and contribute to what makes us all so happy. Thank you all for your efforts and determination and if I can win one, so can you all!!

Congrats on the first win, Exo! The harder they are to come by, the more enjoyment they bring! ;)

As always, you represent what S.N.A.I.L. is all about. You may draw inspiration from others, but I draw inspiration from you. For you, racing in this league is not just about winning, it's about challenging yourself to get both faster and cleaner at the same time (and having fun while doing it :)). It's that kind of mindset that you and many others share that serve as the heartbeat of this league. 👍

Also, if you are just cruising the first race(finishing last) and starting first on the 2nd race...If you shut down your ps3 when you still have the 1st place, you would still beat half the field (in points) by not racing at all. :lol:

Exactly.

I can't figure to be beat by someone who doesn't race. In fact how can we be sure that this unfortunate driver doesn't use it as a strategy? Nice, i'm first so it's time to disconnect...

Some people have more suspect connections than others. So are they the privateer teams that break more often?

Let's stop comparing this to real racing. There are no mechanical dnfs, no engine failures, road shrapnel etc.

I still like the idea of dropping the lowest individual race finishes.

The first part of JoeW comment is the point even if what we do isn't real racing or these parameters doesn't come with GT5. Because we have at some point a control on a lot of parameters outside of the game itself. Our mental preparation, to be free of the need to go to toilet before 10PM, shotting down every computer in the house susceptible of background downloading, stop using a poor WiFi connection if it sucks, reseting our PS3 before 10PM and in counter part this league must select Official Room Host who can sustain good connection.

After that s h i t can still happens but I haven't seen much which it justified a freak mathematical system trying to avoid life badluck.

Eliminates our worst scores had always been our deepest whish but it's not realistic. :sly:

Well said Exo. I had a win once and that was just dumb luck but I still enjoy the battles and close racing. Setting goals is something I want to move towards as I get more consistant. My first goal is to be able to sandbag like you, not sure if I can make it 8 months though...

Exo you always have the best posts, and congratulations on the WIN!👍 Did anyone get any pictures? I would love to see some from D4. Went to the local F1 pole position raceway today and I had the fastest lap time for the day. I am afraid I'm becoming addicted karting. :scared:

Ok now for the points. I think the more math and manipulation of the numbers will not get us what we want, close racing. I think the system for points and prizes are fair. Only wrong division placement and disconnect will screw it up.
I think Someone that wins the first 2 nights in a month by a landslide(92+)should be promoted. They would prevent them from locking out the division they are in from receiving more prizes. Disconnect is something we can't help and I like the idea of sim mechanical failure.
Basically I'm saying leave the points and change to biweekly division adjustment with no prize lockout. This is only to quickly promote a driver that is dominating a division. Not to obsolete the regular monthly divsional leveling. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Congrats on the first win, Exo! The harder they are to come by, the more enjoyment they bring! ;)

As always, you represent what S.N.A.I.L. is all about. You may draw inspiration from others, but I draw inspiration from you. For you, racing in this league is not just about winning, it's about challenging yourself to get both faster and cleaner at the same time (and having fun while doing it :)). It's that kind of mindset that you and many others share that serve as the heartbeat of this league. 👍

Thanks zero, even more inspiration to keep on keepin' on!!

Well said Exo. I had a win once and that was just dumb luck but I still enjoy the battles and close racing. Setting goals is something I want to move towards as I get more consistant. My first goal is to be able to sandbag like you, not sure if I can make it 8 months though...

No 'baggin here, really. For those who follow AMA MX I am most likely the Kevin Windham of SNAIL. I know I have the ability to get better results but the mental side of the game tends to wreak havoc on where I end up. zero is right though. Winning is just icing on the cake. A heart pounding, sweat inducing, white knuckle fight for a 6th place finish is where it is at for me! That kind of Tom Foolery is why I am here regardless of the division I am in. (Shout out to joby's previous comment!)

...And thank you goat and RAM......

Last edited:

👍

OK, I think I have something here:

Basically, ...............

Once again, it's just a suggestion and feedback is appreciated. I'm always open to working the numbers if something is found to make it work better.

Sounds good to me 👍

For those who follow AMA MX I am most likely the Kevin Windham of SNAIL. I know I have the ability to get better results but the mental side of the game tends to wreak havoc on where I end up.

Be careful with that comment, we have a few nicknames for Mr. Windham around the big screen (and kdub isn't one of them). I know where you are coming from though, nothing but respect. You're getting me pumped for Sunday!

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Windham is one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Be careful with that comment, we have a few nicknames for Mr. Windham around the big screen (and kdub isn't one of them). I know where you are coming from though, nothing but respect. You're getting me pumped for Sunday!

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Windham is one of my favorites.

NEVAHHH!! Kdub (along with the likes of Larocco) have always been inspiring. I started following Carmichael in his Loretta Lynn days when they said he would never amount to anything!! I show up every Sunday night with my broken down box van and mish mash of parts and a heaping spoonful of hope and see what cards I am dealt. Regardless of what I get, I have a great time and always look forward to the next week!

You know what I REALLY want to change?

Instead of dropping your worst night of racing out of 4, I would love to drop my lowest 6 race finishes. This is equal to one night and would help people who may have rough outings at certain venues or get taken out every now and then.

I just hate being involved in incidents that are out of my control, finishing near dead last and then winning a few races on the same night only to get a mediocre points total for the night. I still got some wins or podiums but the night won't count due to unfortunate events. Even if I filed a complaint, I won't get counted for a win. The offending driver gets penalized but it doesn't help a driver who got punted.

It would also help big time with Disconnects like Oshawa experienced.

I see alot of upside for everyone. Even the loophole you mention would even out because people who consistently finish well will get even higher points totals. Tanking a race on purpose still doesn't guarantee a win.

Sorry for being a little late to this discussion as I know there's already been a few replies on this topic. However, I have a few points I'd like to make as well. It's important to note that the purpose of dropping one week out of the four weeks in a season is meant to serve two purposes.

The first purpose is to allow our members to still be in contention for a seasonal championship even if real life gets in the way. This means that going out of town for a cousin's wedding or celebrating grandma's birthday won't throw three weeks of stellar driving out the window.

The second purpose is to encourage more participation. As we all know, being able to drop your lowest score is an advantage. However, the only way someone can do this is by participating in all four weeks. Therefore, allowing drivers to drop their lowest score is as much of a "participation bonus" as it is anything else.

That being said, I don't feel like your idea of dropping lowest race finishes serves either of these purposes. To me it only seems to provide a safety net for drivers to fall back on if they don't perform well in certain races (regardless of the reason) and I don't think that's the true nature of motorsports specifically, and all sports in general. I understand that being involved in incidents outside of your control sucks, but that's racing.

I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, but I was really impressed with Fernando Alonso's response to losing the Formula One championship due to an incident at Spa that was completely out of his control. Just listen from 4:30 to 5:15 of this video. It's a mindset that I think we can all learn from. 👍

NEVAHHH!! Kdub (along with the likes of Larocco) have always been inspiring. I started following Carmichael in his Loretta Lynn days when they said he would never amount to anything!! I show up every Sunday night with my broken down box van and mish mash of parts and a heaping spoonful of hope and see what cards I am dealt. Regardless of what I get, I have a great time and always look forward to the next week!

I grew up watching Ricky Carmichael. He has grown a lot over time, especially when he went full time with 250's. I remember he crashed it pretty bad and got hurt in the late 90's(?) and I wasn't sure he could recover but then he took names a season or two later. Cool thing to see.

Sheeet foools! Little Rickey grew up 10 miles from here. I used to watch him somehow hold on to his KX-60 as he passed dudes on much larger equipment here at the local track. The only thing that was going to stop him from being a star was some major injury.

He and his family used to come into the shop I worked at. Nice people.

I have a lot of MX stories having worked at a shop from 87-07 here in Florida.

My hand has been revealed. MX/SX is where I draw from. F1 and other road racing is very intriguing but you that know about AMA dirt, may understand where I am coming from. I am starting to figure out that the "bowl turn" doesn't work in the SNAIL series!! lol!

My hand has been revealed. MX/SX is where I draw from. F1 and other road racing is very intriguing but you that know about AMA dirt, may understand where I am coming from. I am starting to figure out that the "bowl turn" doesn't work in the SNAIL series!! lol!

I'm still trying to figure out what button sticks my foot out the door. How do they expect me to load the suspension?

Got a few ideas to toss at you guys.

Let's lay out a scenario. Say I win D1 points and prize A. Pick my combo and off to next week. Whoa my luck is good. I win again and get high points. At this time. Since I've picked Prize A. This prize A could be picked by a vote of the other D1 drivers or D1 drivers all come up with combo idea and then these are voted on by all racers in all divisions. This way at least one persons combo from D1 gets picked and all others had influence and maybe it is a guy cough me cough that lately dont win and unless there is another Roswell won't win points let alone high enough to score Prize A or B.

I guess what everyone really wants is a chance to influence or pick the combos. Am I right?

I talked with Eric aka Dragon tonight and we discussed many options on the ideas discussed today. Basically we agreed that any multipliers or factors to alter the hard number aka current points system are simply handicaps. Handicaps are not real results.

We both agreed that SNAIL's points system now is pretty awesome. It does show a drivers worth with really good validity. The numbers don't lie so to speak. So this would be a system not to muck with.

So back to prizes. This is the hang up and the issue that plagues many. I know it's silly but we all want a chance to pick a combo.

Why not just do the combos based off a revolving system. Start out with longest active racers and maybe prize B can start second from longest. Then cycle up. Eventually if you stick around long enough and race enough you will get a chance to pick. ;)

Maybe cycle one prize choice like A and award B to points winner. Offer gift tickets to others.

Also I'm willing to send out tickets as prizes when needed or even do so for the winner of D1 each Sunday. We get a person that willing to do so from each Division, Then each Sunday the Divisional winners can be rewarded.

Ok I've rambled enough. Hopefully something good is there.

Eric feel free to expand or correct anything as it is late right now and wanna be sure I quoted our conversations context right. LoL

Last edited:
Anyone up? Going to d1 for 20-30 minutes

Mac F1 @ road course daytona got the better of me. Night all

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back