◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,879 comments
OK... so they're under 2 min... will I get lapped twice in this race? Ouch!

Off to the wife-mandated financial planning meeting.

I'm hoping to point out to her we're good at saving and I can get a 'fun' car... :gtpflag:

If you guys are seriously getting under two minutes for Cape Ring, I demand to see the video proof :lol:

Need_4_SPD_Naurto was there, but you are welcome to join me the next time I'm in the lounge.

Duh! Add a minute to all my times! :dunce:

I didn't get my "fun car fund"... yet. ;)

But with only a 30 sec gap at the moment, I should avoid bein' lapped!

I'll see if I can get online this eve, depends on wife/family/life stuff, but I'll do my best.

If I can't get online, is there a way I can 'share' my 2 min solo-race on Cape Ring w/someone who can make suggestions, in terms broad or narrow?

I can certainly improve in more than 1 area at once, but having a "most need to..." focus has been my most successful tactic in the past for long-term improvement.

Hope to see y'all soon.

Without further adieu, here's the corrected Div 1 Snail Times Spreadsheet.

6855431894_e1246d4287_b.jpg

and link for Zer0

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/6855431894_e1246d4287_b.jpg

Thank you heartily to Miss Devious, MoPar, kcheeb, and anyone else who helped me learn both what a line looks like, feels like (when I'm following a good driver... mostly :) ) and how not to dig myself in deeper.

I am looking forward to working on the line on the course further, and using the good areas you pointed out for braking or steering towards. Once those issues are better with this car and track combo, I'll go work on another car - probably the new one, as I think I've got more to learn there as well.

Thank you again - and good eve.

Good fun practicing tonight...this is exactly what I've been looking for in a racing league. Thank you Miss Devious for the invitation and hats off to Zero for making this happen. I look forward to racing with you all.

Good fun practicing tonight...this is exactly what I've been looking for in a racing league. Thank you Miss Devious for the invitation and hats off to Zero for making this happen. I look forward to racing with you all.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! Also glad to see that you were able to get signed into gtplanet. 👍

I sent my friend invite too late to get into the practice session, but I did run several laps on my own. After seeing that a sub 3:00 lap was possible, you can imagine how disheartened I was to run a fast lap of 3:22.

I bailed on it and raced with some other friends. At the end of my night I went back to set up my Bspec drivers to break the car in. When the car didn't meet regulations, I discovered I'd not yet changed the tires away from comfort softs. Idiot. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to break the 3:05 barrier after all.

dvdoughboy
Zero

I vote that advanced notice should be at least 24 hours in advance. We discussed in my lounge my reasoning for it but I wanted to post on this thread.

Congrats Mopar. You really shined this week. And why didn't you tell us you changed genders too? ;)

For those that raced in division 2, I did the points wrong on the final race. I gave cmbeal the win rather than Zero. He pointed that out when he looked at the spreadsheet. For some reason, I thought beal won because Zero made a comment to beal about that final race. And then I looked at the standings for 3rd place on down for recording the points. With the correction, Vail and Zero tied for first place and then like Zero said, with the tie breaker, he ended in first place.

Now, on to some of the racing that occurred in Div 2. If you have any complaints, please post here with the details such as which race and time approximate. If you don't want to post, then PM it to either zero or myself and we'll go take a look. Here are some points to things I remembered.
1. tolegittoquit replied to my PM and stated that he had network issues when he left the race.
2. I watched a replay in the first daytona race where Zero said something to psycho about the yellow line and then they both went off in turn 1. After reviewing it, I don't think Psycho did anything intentionally wrong. He had a good run going into that last straight and he went below the yellow line to utilize his speed and draft to pass both Zero and Vail. It looked like he didn't intentionally dive bomb Zero going into turn 1. However, due to both of them trying to occupy the same space, that caused them both to go off in turn 1. I don't know if we have a rule about dropping below the yellow line there so I can't say he did something terrible when he made that pass.
3. I will say that aubdogg, you need to take care of your controller problems. Due to your broken controller, you had a lot of contact with others.
4. Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to save both replays of Autumn Ring so I won't be able to review any incidents that occurred there.

Thanks again for everyone in D2 for participating.

I would just like to mention something about the yellow line at Daytona. This is simulation racing therefore I think the yellow line should not be used to pass anybody. With that being said, if anybody has ever watched the 24 hours at Daytona or the Daytona 500 the yellow line is off limits to pass unless you're avoiding an accident. You cannot use the yellow line to help improve your position.

Thank you heartily to Miss Devious, MoPar, kcheeb, and anyone else who helped me learn both what a line looks like, feels like (when I'm following a good driver... mostly :) ) and how not to dig myself in deeper.

I am looking forward to working on the line on the course further, and using the good areas you pointed out for braking or steering towards. Once those issues are better with this car and track combo, I'll go work on another car - probably the new one, as I think I've got more to learn there as well.

Thank you again - and good eve.

You're welcome HandleBar, you seem to be receptive the input Mopar and I were giving you. 👍

You are welcome. See if you can get ApexVGear to join us, I know he would have lots of fun with this group.

I would just like to mention something about the yellow line at Daytona. This is simulation racing therefore I think the yellow line should not be used to pass anybody. With that being said, if anybody has ever watched the 24 hours at Daytona or the Daytona 500 the yellow line is off limits to pass unless you're avoiding an accident. You cannot use the yellow line to help improve your position.

That's true, but they are not doing standing starts either, we are. I think the standing start is grounds to dive below the yellow line to pass someone who did not get a good start off the line (accident avoidance). After that, the yellow line (for the apron) rule stands, you can not pass under the yellow line to to improve your position.

DEEP FOREST & DEEP FOREST REVERSE
I also think that we should talk about the concrete sections on Deep Forest Reverse. They are NOT part of the track, as the edge of the track is marked with a painted line as well as the rumble strips. The concrete sections clearly have both. I think we should deem these sections as "Off-Track" and treat them as such.

Any thoughts on this?

sharkie
That's true, but they are not doing standing starts either, we are. I think the standing start is grounds to dive below the yellow line to pass someone who did not get a good start off the line (accident avoidance). After that, the yellow line (for the apron) rule stands, you can not pass under the yellow line to to improve your position.

I also think that we should talk about the concrete sections on Deep Forest Reverse. They are NOT part of the track, as the edge of the track is marked with a painted line as well as the rumble strips. The concrete sections clearly have both. I think we should deem these sections as "Off-Track" and treat them as such.

Any thoughts on this?

On the start in Daytona, I'll give that to you. But definitely during the race the yellow line should not be an advancement point.
I agree also with the large concrete space should not be a short cut on Deep Forest. Even though you do not get a penalty for that. Two wheels on the curb I understand.

A quick comment on the yellow line at Daytona. Not to sound condescending, those of us in the know understand that the yellow line is not to be used to gain advantage on the other racers. If put to a vote, I vote that the line should be used for just that. No passing on the start or on the straight.

On the start in Daytona, I'll give that to you. But definitely during the race the yellow line should not be an advancement point.
I agree also with the large concrete space should not be a short cut on Deep Forest. Even though you do not get a penalty for that. Two wheels on the curb I understand.

Thanks for all the comments on this, especially to AJK-VAIL and tcrash15 for bring it up for discussion. If anyone wants to know the official league position on the yellow line at Daytona Road Course, simply read the comments above.

For this Sunday's races, anyone who crosses the yellow line in a manner that contradicts the views above will be subject to disqualification from the race in which he violated the rule.

To his credit, Psycho-Tuber PM'd me to apologize about crossing the yellow line. He did not know it could not be crossed to overtake. He knows now and it's all good. 👍

you'd need a steward to watch hours of footage to look for infractions and determine if they we purposeful. Not sure if that's time well spent.

you'd need a steward to watch hours of footage to look for infractions and determine if they we purposeful. Not sure if that's time well spent.

I don't think that's the case. Anyone who's overtaken by a driver who crossed the yellow line to do so will surely remember when it happened. This is not something I would want anyone to check for unless there was a specific complaint made. Hopefully, the post above is enough of a deterrent that it doesn't happen, but I at least wanted the penalty to already be stated in the event that someone does it anyways.

Any thoughts on this?

^This, however, might be harder to police. I agree that the the giant concrete curb/section on Deep Forest should not be cut, but this is something that can be done on every lap to lower lap times.

This is an entirely different situation than the yellow line on Daytona Road Course. Drivers don't benefit from crossing the yellow line at Daytona if they are running by themselves. Therefore, there's no need to check if anyone's doing it when no other driver is around.

However, since drivers do benefit from cutting the curb at Deep Forest on every lap, who's going to watch every replay of every lap by every driver to check for this? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't think that's the case. Anyone who's overtaken by a driver who crossed the yellow line to do so will surely remember when it happened. This is not something I would want anyone to check for unless there was a specific complaint made. Hopefully, the post above is enough of a deterrent that it doesn't happen, but I at least wanted the penalty to already be stated in the event that someone does it anyways.

I rember a time. A daring pass by mopar lap two, last race, first corner. Jumped down and over took me, racefan and badger. I didn't complain. A cause it was quite the ballzy pass. And b I didnt know it was illegal.

As far as with DF, what line does the bob take? Its been so long since Ive raced the AI. However, even though I do it, mostly because in open lobbies, well, everyones doing it. Anyway, Im good with whatever.

Last edited:
You are not penalized for using that concrete. Since the game doesn't penalize for that with penalties on weak, it would be tough for us to police that. Sure, if there's a group of ppl all grouped together someone would notice. But what about qualifying or if someone is out of view? I'm not saying ppl are going to intentionally use that concrete when someone's not looking, but why not keep it simple and say that if the game doesn't give you a short cut infraction, then you can use it?

Ok, I was confused with grand valley for a second, cleared up. So yeah, policing it doing qualify will be hard. But, my stand is the same here as it would be on other tracks. you cant go completely over the curbing. And that is definitely over the curbing.

Last edited:
The tentative schedule for Wednesday night doughboy run is as follows:

Hour 1 - Sunday combo practice

Hour 2 - recommended list, winner and loser choice. Winner will get to choose track or car. Last place will get to choose the one not picked by winner.

dvdoughboy
The tentative schedule for Wednesday night doughboy run is as follows:

Hour 1 - Sunday combo practice

Hour 2 - recommended list, winner and loser choice. Winner will get to choose track or car. Last place will get to choose the one not picked by winner.

See you all at 9pm CST in snail division 1 room

I personally won't drive over the concrete at Deep Forest, even if you do allow it.

I'm not sure what yellow line you mean at Daytona. If you mean down on the apron, yes, I try not to drive on that. There are times when I want to stay in the draft of the guy infront of me or I've just mucked up my speed and I fall onto the apron. I don't know that it is any faster, so I don't know that it is a big todo.

I remember a time. A daring pass by mopar lap two, last race, first corner. Jumped down and over took me, racefan and badger. I didn't complain. A cause it was quite the ballzy pass.

I would have to rewatch the replay on that but i believe it was because you guys were 2-3 wide going into turn 1? (correct me if im wrong). With the speed gain i was having i just made the pass, didnt think if it was illegal :/

Going into turn 1 was pretty sweet eh :sly:

Back