◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 148,235 comments
hillracing
I think going down to 4 divisions isn't a bad idea. The grids in D1 have been a little small the last few months and I'd like to have more people to race against. As far as awarding attendance I don't know about that. For me I always race unless real life gets in the way. I had something come up last min last night or I would have raced. I think the thing to look at is why are our numbers dropping? We should look and see when they started to drop and what was changed around that time. I'm guessing we did something as there seems to have been a lot of changes over time. Anyways that's my .02

Being fairly close to the drivers that come and go, I don't think it's a situation of more drivers leaving, it's fewer joining. We've always had a pretty high turnover rate. What made it possible to grow was we attracted/recruited more drivers than we lost, over the last few months that's not happened.

Recruiting is the best bet to grow/maintain numbers in S.N.A.I.L.

what if u drop to 4 divison with 2 time zones...seems like this would allow more racers to participate... therefor it may equal out to the same grids as now? and for ppl like apmaddock who wants a hour later would only have to join the west costers at 8 and est could start at 9 ...anyway just a thought

I like the idea of finding ways to increase attendence, I can't really say much about that though since I missed the last three race nights. I don't really like the idea of taking out a division to create more participants in a race though. As stated earlier, taking out a division would create a huge gap of skill between drivers. Of course, this is a good thing to encourage slow drivers like me to learn a few things and get faster. Having said that, it might be a bit intimidating when atleast half the field is already way faster than you. Im sure people will be willing to teach other a few tricks, but if you are like me you want to learn in an environment where everyone is running about the same pace as I do. This is just my opinion though, I'll be glad as long as I still get clean racing every Sunday night.

I'll throw my 2 cents into the bigger grid conversation... I have also been thinking about it a good amount as well.

What if we qualified for division placement every week (i.e. same as we do when you sign up for SNAIL, except we would do it every week) using the lap time from one of the week’s combos, or a combined lap time from all of the week’s combos. So we would have to send in our lap times to the race organizers sometime before Sunday.

I like this, if I was to throw out an idea like this i would say to just use the results of the combo that stays since 2 will be changed for the next week

1- I fully agree in cut one division off since a lot of people is not showing up. I love races with at least 12 racers and is just not happening.

2- I'M DA KING OF DA CORVETTE, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
(won both races(( cuz 2armedman was off:sly:))

I like this, if I was to throw out an idea like this i would say to just use the results of the combo that stays since 2 will be changed for the next week

Just a question? How hard it would be to cut off 2 seconds of the time you send to organizers just to race in a higher division?
I would go for compressing divisions to make sure all rooms have 12 to 14 racers.

Just a question? How hard it would be to cut off 2 seconds of the time you send to organizers just to race in a higher division?
I would go for compressing divisions to make sure all rooms have 12 to 14 racers.

I understand the interest, and support that the Front Runners have for condensing into 5 Divisions. However, for us "Also-Rans" that run in the middle of the pack, or at the back of Div 5 most of the time (aka Permanent Residents)........ having to deal with Div 4 drivers each week (reverse grid, primarily) would be discouraging.

Doubt that any of us Div 5 Permanent Residents would ever be up front, win a Pole, and much less have a chance at Winning a race. Those thoughts are purely selfish, I know. Seems like we deal with very hot drivers who come into the League, join/are assigned Div 5, take command of the division and then move onward and upward. Not denying them their due rewards ....... just hate running in the Mid-Group or worse each week.

Disclaimer: I won a race Sunday night and took a Pole position with some very fast drivers who are certain to move up. Just got a lucky break and didn't make my usual one mistake in each race ....... though I made up for it later in the evening.

Not complaining - just giving the discussion a Voice from the Rear point of view.

The results of the races are recorded, I was saying use the results of the combo from the previous weeks races so we wouldn't all have to run an extra quali every week, just use the previous weeks results

30 minutes earlier would put me out of the league. It's as simple as that. I'm already at the far end of what I can stretch.

On the other hand, 30 minutes later and I could join a few mid-week events.

An hour later and I could join most of them!

Stop watching replays right after the races if you want to get to bed by midnight.

Also, tex, I knew that several left. Unfortunately D5 is the most volatile when it comes to things like that.

Getting to bed by midnight wouldn't happen even if I didn't watch replays, which were incidental to winding down after the races, since we didn't get finished until midnight in any event. I still don't see how the west coast folks are locked in to a 7pm start. But I guess having dinner an hour earlier or after 9 just can't be worked into the schedule. As well, some people just can't be lost to the league I reckon.

No big deal, I tried it out for a few months and discovered I didn't want to sacrifice the time. 'Tis no different for anyone else I reckon.

Having two time slots would not divide by division but by location. That would make the competition more spread out, which is not what people are looking for here.

Moving things an hour earlier would put the races directly in the middle of dinnertime for west coast types.

I wouldn't change a thing regarding that.

Sigh.

This is a very relevent concern. I am thinking of this based on two time zones. Eastern and Central as one / Mountain and Pacific as one. The key would be researching this to find out where everyone is and in what divisions. Once you look at the numbers it may not work at all, or you may find enough people with similar time zones to make it work. The reason I quote Apmaddock is because (as far as I have seen in my short time) he is among the most consistent in attendance. It's not fair and would not be right IMHO to basically push him out based on the time he has available to race. Especially when he signed up based on the time he believed the races would happen.

However maybe there could be a compromise in a floating time for each division based on the time zones of the members....

Example Division 3 has 5 people in Eastern/Central and 4 People in Mountain Pacific. In a four week season maybe they race Week 1 at 9:00 EST, Week 2 at 10:00 EST, Week 3 at 9:30 EST and Week 4 at 10:30 EST. This would obviously cause some confusion as to when we show up, but it could be posted along with the weekly lineup. If the vast majority of members are in one or the other time zone the division changes time.

Or....

We all vote at the end of the night on the time we want to race next week as a division. Most votes wins the time slot and it is posted in the weekly lineup. Then the people who are actually showing up get the say as to the time.

If Zero or Kcheeb have this data I would volunteer to look through it and make a report on the forum.

These are just respectful suggestions and none may not come to fruition which is totally fine. I'll race as much as possible regardless.

Here are the main reasons I joined this league and will continue to be as active a member as I can....

1) Clean Racing
2) Community of friendly members
3) Intelligent not belligerent forum posts (mostly)
4) Fun

Anything that changes these things for the membership should be discarded.

The results of the races are recorded, I was saying use the results of the combo from the previous weeks races so we wouldn't all have to run an extra quali every week, just use the previous weeks results

I understand the interest, and support that the Front Runners have for condensing into 5 Divisions. However, for us "Also-Rans" that run in the middle of the pack, or at the back of Div 5 most of the time (aka Permanent Residents)........ having to deal with Div 4 drivers each week (reverse grid, primarily) would be discouraging.

Doubt that any of us Div 5 Permanent Residents would ever be up front, win a Pole, and much less have a chance at Winning a race. Those thoughts are purely selfish, I know. Seems like we deal with very hot drivers who come into the League, join/are assigned Div 5, take command of the division and then move onward and upward. Not denying them their due rewards ....... just hate running in the Mid-Group or worse each week.

Disclaimer: I won a race Sunday night and took a Pole position with some very fast drivers who are certain to move up. Just got a lucky break and didn't make my usual one mistake in each race ....... though I made up for it later in the evening.

Not complaining - just giving the discussion a Voice from the Rear point of view.

Tex, you keep considering yourself a below average racer and THAT'S NOT TRUE! I had several chances to practice with you and you are just as fast as i am only needing to work your concentration to reduce the number of little mistakes that push you down the board as i've been trying to do since i got demoted from DIV3.
I believe, cause i race on DIV4, that you would be absolutely able to keep up with everyone else there because the difference in terms of skill is basicaly none.
You know me, i'm nothing special either but i see myself beating guys from upper divisions on the wednesdays practices very often and racing with them is the best school you can get.

[rhetoric]Why do people insist on complicating things to the greatest extent possible?[/rhetoric]

Just leave the damn times alone. No one will ever agree to a BEST time because we all live in different time zones. It's working so leave it.

I may be in for some league contraction if it will mean bigger grids. Right now the driver lists are insanely long and half show up.

Lets be clear. The racing rarely to never ends before midnight est.

I know a few people that would fill the grid if we started an hour earlier. :)

To be honest I've considered dropping out because the time is very hard to cope with.

The racing I enjoy. Which keeps me coming back. Things are on the horizon. With this time slot. You can bet this series will be cut from life first simply because of its time slot.

Take into consideration many others are in my shoes and if they all decided to say screw it. Talk about losing attendance.

I'd love to start SNAIL'ing at 4-7pm on Sunday. Be most awesome. So you west coasters have no idea how good you have it.

We should do a poll out of curiosity to see where the racers stand on start time. An anonymous poll.

Last edited:
Just leave the damn times alone. No one will ever agree to a BEST time because we all live in different time zones. It's working so leave it.

I may be in for some league contraction if it will mean bigger grids. Right now the driver lists are insanely long and half show up.

Half? Yeah, over a month. Too many times I see the usual 5-6 and only a couple of faces that I wish we saw more frequently.

I agree that the points inducement idea would not appeal to a broad enough group, nor really reward racing over the 'ribbons for everyone!' Message. :-P

That being said, I will casually poke the West Coast.. Eat yer darned dinner earlier... Finishing at midnight is not really a plus for recruiting on this side of the Divide. ;-(

I'm proud to say that D3 gets finished right about on time every week. :)

It's not just the west-coaster's dinner, it's family life for many of the rest of us.

This from can old fart. But has anyone thought of starting at 9:00 pm est rather than 10:00 est. I missed this week knowing I was going to be wiped out over lack of sleep.

You all have been running this for a long time and maybe you have found that 10:00 pm is the ideal time. If so disregard this suggestion. I am just throwing it out there on a personal level.

This being said I signed up knowing it was going to be 10:00 and I will continue to race at that time whenever extenuating circumstances don't exclude my participation.

I'd like to start an hour later. ;)

…actually 30 minutes later would be just about perfect.

Wow, seems like the league start time is more popular topic than possible contraction. Some want to start racing earlier and some want to start racing later (I've quoted the first two examples of each above). Not sure how to deal with that.. In fact, there might be nothing that can be done. :ouch:

However, it struck me as odd that nobody has stepped up and said that our start time is perfect or ideal for them. That might just be a case of the "silent majority" not feeling the need to be as vocal as the "squeaky wheels that want to get the grease", however it's got me wondering (and yeah that can be dangerous).

So against my better judgment, I'd like to take a little poll. In order to participate in the poll, simply copy and paste the section below and then put a 1, 2, or 3 at the end of each line. The number 1 indicates that this is an ideal time for you to start racing on Sunday night. The number 2 indicates that it's not a perfect time to start racing for you, but it's doable. The number 3 indicates that starting to race at that time is not possible for you:

9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - [number 1, 2, or 3]
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - [number 1, 2, or 3]
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - [number 1, 2, or 3]

(Please note that you don't have to assign each time slot a different number. For example, if you can race at any of the listed times and don't have a preference to which, simply put a "2" next to each line. Also, if you're in between two numbers, feel free to add a .5 to any number. For example, if a particular time is doable some weeks, but not possible other weeks, simple put "2.5")

Last edited:
We can start 1 hour earlier AND finish 1 hour later. That's good with me.

Re-aligning to 4 divisions works for me and many others I am sure. Many other regulars I should to clarify. Grids that are too full is a good problem to have. There is no racing without participation. Why dilute the divisions in the slim chance everyone assigned actually shows up any given Sunday? Put the onus on the drivers to show up, early. Every Sunday I am crawling out of my skin waiting to race and hoping for grids with more than 10 drivers. Do we want the grids full of SNAILs ready to make tracks or slugs that show up late because they ' forgot' it was race night?
If the lounges do fill up (:lol:), the race directors can send drivers up or down a division based on lounge size and driver's skill. Points then could be weighted.

Last edited:
9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 1
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 2
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 3

9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - 1
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - 1
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - 3

After these messages, we'll be right back to regular programming.

"Hey Bowler, do you see what I see!"
tckxeQ8.jpg

The slip that opens the door.
tdShWng.jpg

tAm2ubv.jpg

pR8wjmm.jpg

9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - 1
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - 3
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - 3

9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - 2
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - 2
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - 2

And anything after....

And for other week nights it is 1, 2.5, and 11..

I am OK with contraction, especially on such a fluid basis. If it does not work, we go back to 5...

Last edited:
9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (one hour earlier) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 3
10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific (our usual time) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 2.5
11pm Eastern / 8pm Pacific (one hour later) - [number 1, 2, or 3] 1

And anything after....

Back