◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,840 comments
Skills
That is tonight in the Red Room of Pain. :eek:

@ panda
FR sent to b spec. I can send the Solstice.

Thanks skills! Now to go from 50K to 4 mill. credits for the 908... Should be fun running seasonals!

June 2, 2013 lineup:

ROUND ONE
Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 Twin Spark '06 (Sports Hard tires)
@Rome / Reverse (??? laps)

race1_zps1b95fb5b.jpg

ROUND TWO
Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02 (Sports Hard tires)
@Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (6 laps)

round1_zps9dc46b13.jpg

ROUND THREE
Peugeot 908 HDI FAP (Racing Medium tires)
@Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (??? laps)

race3_zps1e38396b.jpg

I love the look of the lineup! Good power spread:tup:.

I really hope we can drop Spa this time, and take that car to Le Mans or something.

Cya at practice! Gotta go whip Bob into breaking in my alfa now.

I really hope we can drop Spa this time, and take that car to Le Mans or something.

Cya at practice! Gotta go whip Bob into breaking in my alfa now.

That is the best combo!!!!

Attention D1 / D2

Host needed for tonight's practice... if you can host shoot me a PM please before 9:30 EST.

Apologies if this was already discussed, but can I assume that since the Team Peugeot Total (pictured) isn't specified, that we're free to choose the Oreca? They seem identical in the dealership, and in real life they were both built by Oreca, so I assume they actually are.

Apologies if this was already discussed, but can I assume that since the Team Peugeot Total (pictured) isn't specified, that we're free to choose the Oreca? They seem identical in the dealership, and in real life they were both built by Oreca, so I assume they actually are.

You assume correctly! :)

Thought it might be easier to have some guidelines for number of laps in the Sunday races.

eg. Lap times from 02:30 - 03:19 - 4 laps. 03:20 - 04:59 - 3 laps ...

Laps .... Lap Time
1 ........ 10:00
2 ........ 05:00
3 ........ 03:20
4 ........ 02:30
5 ........ 02:00
6 ........ 01:40
7 ........ 01:26
8 ........ 01:15
9 ........ 01:07
10 ....... 01:00
11 ....... 00:55
12 ....... 00:50
13 ....... 00:46
14 ....... 00:43
15 ....... 00:40
16 ....... 00:38
17 ....... 00:35
18 ....... 00:33
19 ....... 00:32
20 ....... 00:30

Thanks for these guidelines, cheeb! Practice room hosts, please use these tonight to take out the guessing on number on laps to set each race at.

On the other hand, do either of the practice rooms want to try out this test format:

What if we were to take take the suggested format, but still allow time for qualifying laps. But instead of using the results of the qualifying to set the grid for that race, we could simply use it as a warm-up session so that everyone has a good feel for the combo before the green flag drops. We could still award a "pole bonus" for the driver who sets the fastest lap during those 10-minutes, but the winner of that would just get 1 point and not actually get pole (since the grid would be a set by reversing the grid of the previous race). Of course, the exception to that would be Round 1's race since there wouldn't be any previous race results to reverse. In a nutshell, Round 1's race would be set to "Fastest First", while the Round 2 and 3 race would be set to "Reverse Grid".

Obviously, keeping qualifying sessions for each round would mean that we wouldn't be able to have three 25-minute races and still keep everything under 2 hours. However, three 20-minute races would be very easy to pull off within the 2-hour target. In fact, it'd be quicker than the current format because there'd be three less races to score, change the settings, and save replays for. All in all, the track time each night would remain the same, but the races would be twice as long (which would theoretically result in twice as much patience, right?). All while keeping the reverse-grid races in play! Thoughts? Suggestions? Who wants to try this out on Wednesday night? :)

In a nutshell, one race per round instead of two. Each race is about 20 minutes instead of 10. There's still the same qualifying session before each round/race, but qualifying times would only be used to form the grid in the first race (Fastest First). The second two rounds/races would be set to reverse grid.

The reason I'd like people to try this format out is so that we can have some real-world experiences without before making a decision. I'd like to hear what people think of the format after they've actually tested it out. 👍

Thanks for these guidelines, cheeb! Practice room hosts, please use these tonight to take out the guessing on number on laps to set each race at.

On the other hand, do either of the practice rooms want to try out this test format:

In a nutshell, one race per round instead of two. Each race is about 20 minutes instead of 10. There's still the same qualifying session before each round/race, but qualifying times would only be used to form the grid in the first race (Fastest First). The second two rounds/races would be set to reverse grid.

The reason I'd like people to try this format out is so that we can have some real-world experiences without before making a decision. I'd like to hear what people think of the format after they've actually tested it out. 👍

We can try this on RED tonight 👍... still looking for the winning lottery ticket

Last edited:
long races - yeah!!
Yeah indeed with 1 caveat:
There is a very real possibility of being lapped, especially since the room designations have been blurred for many weeks. Some nights ALL divisions are represented in the same room.

Please revisit SNAIL's OLR

9: Defensive Driving:

C:
Drivers that are about to get lapped have to make sure not to interfere with the lapping cars. The driver being lapped should stay on the racing line but slow down just enough to allow the lead driver an easy pass. Keep your racing line predictable and try to stay out of the way.

Some nights ALL divisions are represented.

This should not happen if everyone follows the established directions on where to go. The Hosts should be looking at the results and asking all racers to join the appropriate Red or Blue rooms.

Yeah indeed with 1 caveat:
There is a very real possibility of being lapped, especially since the room designations have been blurred for many weeks. Some nights ALL divisions are represented.

Please revisit SNAIL's OLR

9: Defensive Driving:

C:
Drivers that are about to get lapped have to make sure not to interfere with the lapping cars. The driver being lapped should stay on the racing line but slow down just enough to allow the lead driver an easy pass. Keep your racing line predictable and try to stay out of the way.

I was thinking of finding a way to make practice, but warnings on how to get lapped... Ugh. Not fun.

Good luck y'all. Please try to enjoy the intended mayhem from dabneyd (may the odds always give you fantasy tracks), and what is sure to be gripping, tight, and intensely clean racing from Iroquois.

The practice rooms are officially open! If you're assigned to Division 1 or Division 2 (or you placed in the top 5 of Division 3 this Sunday May 19 past please join with your best racecraft:

SNAIL BLUE PRACTICE ROOM

1472-6118-3615-5258-5379

Everyone else, please join with your best racecraft:
SNAIL RED PRACTICE ROOM
1472-6118-4130-9219-3204

Sorry bout not getting uniformed pics this week. Id been tied into this 24hr event and haven't been able to do much else.

Next week ill get the pics uniformed as well list PP for each on the pics. ;)

Thanks for those that stepped up this week and got the pics. ;)

Buttkicker, I used a socket method on previous rig. Mounts at the back of frame. This rig. I welded a pipe to attach too.

If anyone needs custom mounts. Hit me up. I've got the means to make it happen. SNAIL pricing too.

I was thinking of finding a way to make practice, but warnings on how to get lapped... Ugh. Not fun.

Good luck y'all. Please try to enjoy the intended mayhem from dabneyd (may the odds always give you fantasy tracks), and what is sure to be gripping, tight, and intensely clean racing from Iroquois.

Come on and RAce Handlebar!!!

Only Dgaf and I in the blue room. How many in red?

Nevermind. Blue room is closed.

Last edited:
kept getting booted...al and goat were always loading for me, again (router and PS3 rebooted, cache cleared)

Sorry I left without warning. I had a whole wave of crap hit me.. I feel horrible right now. What's scary is my left side (spleen) feels tender right now. Mono might have another round in store for me. Lets hope not.

Here's a video of how to use the Gamer or Gamer 2 with a Playseat. My first iteration used this method and worked well. Using the rubber foot isolators under the corners of the playseat makes it easier to shake too :)

If you have a rolling chair to drive with, the Gamer2 clamps directly to the middle support of the chair and works well, ask zer0 ;) I would imagine it would clamp readily to any chair with a similarly sized vertical support (leg).

I use two of the Wireless Home Theater Buttkickers, one for the left channel and one for the right channel. The plate the transducer is mounted on (included in that kit) goes under the left and right rear supports of my GranStand rig. I've got rubber isolators under key points of the rig. Feeling the vibration on my right as I run over rumble strips on the right of the car is awesome 👍

EDIT: I meant to say, if you play other games or watch a lot of action type movies, the buttkicker adds a whole lot to the experience. Seeing, hearing and feeling the explosions, gunshots etc. is way cool.

:cheers:

Buttkicker, I used a socket method on previous rig. Mounts at the back of frame. This rig. I welded a pipe to attach too.

If anyone needs custom mounts. Hit me up. I've got the means to make it happen. SNAIL pricing too.
I'm going to do some more research. I just got my den (i think I prefer this over office) set up to the point where I can start to see how much room I will have where. I want to eventually want to incorporate some sort of motion system. So I'm thinking I will build a wood base and frame the seat in with metal. I have a seat I can use already. I hasn't a good idea now of how ok going to do this. Thanks for the video cheeb and the input from you both.

Yea, I guess I am on the nay side of the alternative format. The biggest downsides are if you make a mistake early on, get a bad start or *ahem* are in the back regularly like *some* of us are, it is a very long time to be out sightseeing. Points wise, it could be an issue. One great race is like getting a two for one and like wise if you blow it on one combo it is like blowing it twice. With the standard format, you have a reasonable chance of making up one (or even a couple) of bad races... Just my pocket change...

dont like the new format

Here's my feedback...

PROS:
  • Keeps Races within the 2 hours with about 15 min to spare

CONS:
  1. It has an enduro feel to it.
  2. No qualifying for 2nd and 3rd round
  3. if someone hits you and you get spun (like I did) pretty much you're race is over, much harder to make positions... with 2 races per round at least you get a reverse grid and another chance to score points.
  4. The 1st and 2nd rounds were surprisingly tight considering we had representation from all divisions.. however there were many that drop during all 3 rounds
  5. The spread with the Peugout was the biggest with 1:07 just 1 to 6th...all others dropped

I liked the experiment, but I like the traditional way of SNAIL Racing much better.

Back