◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,880 comments
Last night's mini enduros were fun, for the most part. I'd do it again.

For the first race, I was running an old [ur=http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=759]R32[/url]. Not anything special, but I turned 16 in '91, so in theory, if I had bought a car when I got my license, and if the GTS had been available in the States.... I wrecked on the first lap.

I just can't keep the car on the road. It doesn't matter how glorious any single lap may be (though in qualifying I was six seconds off the fastest time), I always wreck.

I came out of the pits 50 seconds off the leader. It was 25 laps total, so I just focused and tried to catch up. And I did with the Boost. And that was pretty awesome. I was hanging around behind the leaders in third for the last half of the race.

Last lap, and I made a pass that I didn't intend to. I didn't plan on making it, and I didn't plan on it sticking. But instead of just falling back to third, I was tapped and slipped sideways and fell further. Not my fault, and I didn't take damage, so I don't mind.

I did stuff it into the wall being aggressive on the last set of corners. Still, I count it as a victory that I went for 23 laps without wrecking.

The second race I was in an RGT. I was taking it as a challenge, but it is so well balanced, and it even understeers a little. I loved that car, though it wasn't as fast as some others.

I was smashed into a wall early in the race and my car was totaled. Not my fault, and I think five of us pit on that lap. I was then in second and behind the leader, Dabney. I was trying to push him down the straights, but I knew if we left the chicane with any gap he'd just leave me behind in his DB9. So I was trying to balance braking early to keep from stuffing him as we entered the chicane with braking later so I could keep up with him as we left.

I tapped him. It didn't knock him off his line too much, but it gave me minor suspension damage across the front.

I pit again.

I was blasting along trying to catch up and I came up on one of the Camaros spun out and blocking the corner in Indianapolis. I was hard on the brakes, but couldn't stop in time. Smashed into him and wrecked my car again.

3rd pit.

That summed up the second race. There was way too much crashing and pitting going on. It was humorous and a good time, but not really good racing.

:) Good day fellow S.N.A.I.L's.:) I just want to make a comment about sharkie's tutoring. When I came acrossed this league and read what it was all about, I said "this is for me". All skills levels was the kicker for me to join. I have raced for 3 weeks now and enjoyed every minute.👍 Then I read that someone was willing to tutor racers and help them make their Sim Racing a better experence and I checked it out. WOW!!!!!! I'm addicted! Sharkie's tutoring has help a great deal with learning the the race track and its subtleties. I am amazed on how just finding these subtleties and learning braking points and acceleration points how I improved.
Here's an example of times for this weeks races;
Deep Forest-1:29.332 to 1:27.272
Trail Mtn-1:30.784 to 1:28.533
Grand Valley-1:05.224 to 1:03.922
I would say that thats a huge improvement!:)
These examples are testament on the tutoring that I received because I took sharkie up on it. If you want to see for yourself, just watch for the posts sharkie makes on the thread when she is having tutoring and go. Don't be :nervous: she doesn't bite. I can't leave mopar out of this because he had influence in the tutoring also:)
Zero, thanks for running a great league. You opened up an opportunity for me to meet some good people. Thanks!!
For any new people reading this post, check this league out.You won't be disappointed.:)👍

Sunday Night American Improvement League FTW!! 👍

:) Good day fellow S.N.A.I.L's.:) I just want to make a comment about sharkie's tutoring. When I came acrossed this league and read what it was all about, I said "this is for me". All skills levels was the kicker for me to join. I have raced for 3 weeks now and enjoyed every minute.👍 Then I read that someone was willing to tutor racers and help them make their Sim Racing a better experence and I checked it out. WOW!!!!!! I'm addicted! Sharkie's tutoring has help a great deal with learning the the race track and its subtleties. I am amazed on how just finding these subtleties and learning braking points and acceleration points how I improved.
Here's an example of times for this weeks races;
Deep Forest-1:29.332 to 1:27.272
Trail Mtn-1:30.784 to 1:28.533
Grand Valley-1:05.224 to 1:03.922
I would say that thats a huge improvement!:)
These examples are testament on the tutoring that I received because I took sharkie up on it. If you want to see for yourself, just watch for the posts sharkie makes on the thread when she is having tutoring and go. Don't be :nervous: she doesn't bite. I can't leave mopar out of this because he had influence in the tutoring also:)
Zero, thanks for running a great league. You opened up an opportunity for me to meet some good people. Thanks!!
For any new people reading this post, check this league out.You won't be disappointed.:)👍

Wow! Thank you Tom! I appreciate the praise, but all I did was show you a few things and you did all the needed work. You were the one that took the information and applied it to every turn. You were the one that learned and then started to figure out that I wasn't just giving you information on how best to take this or that turn, but rather I was giving you the tools needed for you to figure out things on your own. Like last night with "That Right Hand Turn" (you know the one), Mopar & I showed you how to take that turn, lap after lap, and you were still not getting it right. Neither of us again told you how to take that turn, we let you figure it out, and as soon as you did, your lap time dropped another 0.3xx consistently. We gave you the tools to figure out what was wrong and you did. That was you - all you. Honestly, How rewarding was it to figure it out for yourself? Nice Work! I'm proud of you. I'll say "Thank You", but truth be told, I should be saying, "You're Welcome."

If I may say, I'm impressed with you and with AJK-VAIL. Both of you seem to have this strong desire to learn what I have to offer, and that makes teaching you a lot easier. The private tutoring sessions has really paid-off for the both of you and it's very evident when we do the practice races. It's clear to me that both you of you are now fast drivers, but that's just not enough. Both of you have now learned to "Drive" - now it's time to learn to "Race". I'm sure you have noticed, that the focus of the tutoring sessions (for you 2) has not really been about how to drive the track, but rather racing concepts and tactics that are subtle but will make a huge difference in a race.

I have say, tcrash15 & AJK-VAIL, you are both by far the best students I've had the pleasure of educating in the fine art of racing, with the exception of Mopar. Both of you have really impressed me with how quickly you are picking up on things. Thank you for the praise but like I said, I've only shown you what you needed to to on to improve - you are the one who has to put in the seat time to make that information stick. The praise really goes to you.

Good Job! Keep up the good work & I'll see you tonight for more tutoring - it will be an open tutoring session tonight, there are others that need the seat time as well.

Last edited:
This sounds like what I have been looking for!! Please add me! Thanks

Hey exosphere64!

I'll add you to the drivers list, you'll be starting in Division 3.

PSN friend requests will be sent to you from SNAIL_Division1, SNAIL_Division2 and SNAIL_Division3. Their lounges are where we race Sunday night and hold our various events. Here's a breakdown of the ways we use the different lounges.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

The original post also has a lot of information regarding the league, have a browse through it.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Very cool! I have spend the past couple of hours getting myself educated on all of the league standards and have my cars in the barn! Thanks again, and look forward to doing some racing with you all!!

Exo...

I'm practicing and tutoring in SNAIL_DIVISION1 Lounge for anyone who is interested.

kcheeb's weekly rules/etiquette awareness post

From our oft quoted OLR a little something about how to act as a lead and following driver.

06: Running into the car ahead of you:

A:
The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.

B:
In case you brake too late for a corner or partially lose control of your car, but can prevent an accident by steering into the dirt, grass or a wall, you are expected to do so.

C:
The ahead driver must not do any malicious or inappropriate braking or slowing. Leading cars MUST NOT EVER 'brake check' the car(s) behind them because they are following too closely. The ahead driver IS entitled to be slower or use longer and earlier braking zones than others. They are also entitled to turn in earlier or later and/or apex earlier or later.

I was in this at the beginning but dropped out. I'm interested in joining again though!

Hey ianjames25 (iceburgeson)!

I'll add you to the drivers list, you'll be starting in Division 3.

One thing though, we may end up with a full Division 3 room tomorrow. If that does happen, not likely but possible, and a previously registered member is not able to join, we'd ask that you back out for this week. We've set the driver lineup for tomorrow and prefer not to have to shuffle it around at this late date. Again, I doubt this will be necessary, but I just wanted you to be aware :)

PSN friend requests will be sent to you from SNAIL_Division1, SNAIL_Division2 and SNAIL_Division3. Their lounges are where we race Sunday night and hold our various events. Here's a breakdown of the ways we use the different lounges.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

The original post also has a lot of information regarding the league, have a browse through it.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

One thing though, we may end up with a full Division 3 room tomorrow. If that does happen, not likely but possible, and a previously registered member is not able to join, we'd ask that you back out for this week.

I'll try to check the forum PMs. If you can't get on, let me know. If you are higher on the list than someone that is in the room, I'll bump them.

p.s. Well, I'll ask them to leave, since this is a private lounge, he can't be kicked.

Last edited:
one thing though, we may end up with a full division 3 room tomorrow. If that does happen, not likely but possible, and a previously registered member is not able to join, we'd ask that you back out for this week.

i'll try to check the forum pms. If you can't get on, let me know. If you are higher on the list than someone that is in the room, i'll bump them.

p.s. well, i'll ask them to leave, since this is a private lounge, he can't be kicked.

Actually, I prefer this idea over asking anyone to leave.

Garris, if Division 3 grows to 13 drivers at any point before the first qualifying session starts, please ask ChuthuluGoat to go to Division 2. It would be a last-minute promotion for the purpose of division-leveling. It would also reduce the chance of Division 3 encountering any lag-related issues caused by too many drivers in the lounge.

If (after ChuthuluGoat leaves) the room grows to 14 drivers before qualifying starts, please ask cmbeal317 to go to Division 2 as well. The chances of this being necessary are so remote that I almost feel silly typing it out, but as they say.. "always be prepared"

Last edited:

Garris, if Division 3 grows to 13 drivers at any point before the first qualifying session starts, please ask ChuthuluGoat to go to Division 2. It would be a last-minute promotion for the purpose of division-leveling. It would also reduce the chance of Division 3 encountering any lag-related issues caused by too many drivers in the lounge.

Ah, very good idea.

Chuthulu, keep your eyes on the room. If we reach luck number 13, you get to move up! :)

If (after ChuthuluGoat leaves) the room grows to 14 drivers before qualifying starts, please ask cmbeal317 to go to Division 2 as well. The chances of this being necessary are so remote that I almost feel silly typing it out, but as they say.. "always be prepared"

Good idea 👍

Should have remembered, ahhhh age ...

I see the BTCC have copied our use of kerbs; anyone who didn't keep the inside wheels on the track (on the kerb itself wasn't good enough) during qualifying got their time disallowed...we are trend setters :lol:

Seeing as i haven't really practiced this week, and opening day of trout season, TODAY!!, is to cold and rainy for me to venture out. I will be practicing in the D1 lounge. Not sure how long cause my girlfriend is STILL sleeping, when she wakes up she will want breakfast and thats where i come in.

Good morning all!! Will be racing for the first time tonight and just wanted to clarify a couple of things. Reading through some of the older posts, am I to assume tranny and suspension mods are allowed or are we running box stock off the showroom floor? I would also like a little more info on the qualifying process. I just want to make sure all my ducks have the right feathers! Thanks and see you all tonight!

Hello exo, the snail racing is done with totally stock, off the showroom floor cars. Just break them in, oil changes, paint/tire scheme you like and throw on tires that the p.p. range calls for. (chart on first page of thread). And off you go. If you haven't broken the cars in yet, you may want to get started doing so. Take care and good luck.

Rex

Back