◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,696 comments
Can't we have one person in charge of these decisions that can simply be approached to make the call. Avoid all this back and forth stuff. Call him the Technical Director or something. Those wanting to can nominate themselves for the position and then we can do a vote.

An even better solution: Every time two or more people argue which tires should be used on a car, the car will be equipped with Comfort Medium tires for the week's races.

Bowler: You would honestly put racing slicks on a drift car?

Can't we have one person in charge of these decisions that can simply be approached to make the call. Avoid all this back and forth stuff. Call him the Technical Director or something. Those wanting to can nominate themselves for the position and then we can do a vote.

Why can't we talk about this as a group? I don't understand the need/desire for someone else to make the decision... it's everyone's league; we should all weigh in on decisions like this.

I still say that we keep the tire standards the way they are, but allow whoever picks the car to pick tires for the car as long as they below the current standards.

:)
Why can't we talk about this as a group? I don't understand the need/desire for someone else to make the decision... it's everyone's league; we should all weigh in on decisions like this.

Single point accountability. I vote for you. :)

I'm half joking most of the time, but let me explain this. We have a short time frame in which to have a car picked and broken in for practice. Decisions need to be made quickly. Decision by consensus/committee is very time consuming, not overly productive and brings about much contention - sometimes not the friendliest of ways. Every few weeks there is a technical issue that arises and is debated at length. I'm looking for a lean way of doing it. Have someone responsible for maintaining the tech aspects of the sport with the power to make the call quickly. There are a few senior snails that come to mind that would be great at it, including dabneyd.

Edit: we have something like 60-70 members now, correct? All with an opinion. We need a Technical Director.

Last edited:
Hey guys whats going on in this thr-
6xl0hzt.gif

I still say that we keep the tire standards the way they are, but allow whoever picks the car to pick tires for the car as long as they below the current standards.

That's been introduced before and more or less shot down.

:)

Single point accountability. I vote for you. :)

I'm half joking most of the time, but let me explain this. We have a short time frame in which to have a car picked and broken in for practice. Decisions need to be made quickly. Decision by consensus/committee is very time consuming, not overly productive and brings about much contention - sometimes not the friendliest of ways. Every few weeks there is a technical issue that arises and is debated at length. I'm looking for a lean way of doing it. Have someone responsible for maintaining the tech aspects of the sport with the power to make the call quickly. There are a few senior snails that come to mind that would be great at it, including dabneyd.

Edit: we have something like 60-70 members now, correct? All with an opinion. We need a Technical Director.

Joking or not, I would agree with you if there were constantly new cars being introduced in which we had to make the call on. However, that's simply not the case (unfortunately). The fact of the matter is that the cars that we're debating about right now are, for the most part, the same cars that have been available in GT5 since it's launch almost two years ago. It's just that we're only now deciding to make a list of the tuner cars to minimize future confusion as to which ones are "street" cars and which ones are "race" cars. Once we complete this list, I don't see this being an ongoing problem.

Of course, questions about "street" or "race" are bound to arise occasionally, especially when non-premium (aka standard) cars that aren't clearly "street" or "race" make it into the OCD. In those situation, I think a healthy debate/discussion about it is fine, as long as it doesn't get personal. The more different perspectives that are brought forward, the more likely we are to find the best answer to any situation. 👍

Last edited:
Sweet, Silverstone or part of has been scanned by the Gran Turismo crew 👍

No word on if it's for GT5, 6 or 7 though :(

PD have also apparently been in contact with Motorsport Vision about scanning Oulton Park (best UK circuit in many drivers opinion) i heard this from a friend of a friend who used to work for them.... hopefully its true!!

In addition, I believe we don't know what we don't know. There could be updates released, and dlc, and and at some point gt6 (new debate in 5 seconds). We would be proactively putting someone in charge of making sure we adapt quickly. It can't be zer0 as his role is to be the good guy and will need someone to make decisions not everyone agrees with.

An even better solution: Every time two or more people argue which tires should be used on a car, the car will be equipped with Comfort Medium tires for the week's races.

Bowler: You would honestly put racing slicks on a drift car?

My belief is that anything with a full roll cage attached to the frame of the car at multiple points makes it a purpose built track car. Many of these cars are in fact street legal but they are still built for a track.

To answer your question. If I was going to take a purpose built drift car and race it, I would put slicks on it. I wouldn't race a car that was set up to drift, but if I had to, I would put slicks on it.

zer05ive
But of course! Anyone else think we need a Technical Director? Or possibly nominate someone for the job or even throw their own name into the hat?

Been a while since I've posted here, mainly since I've got Saturdays league to run. Anyways what should the technical director's duties be? Obviously decide weather a concept car is classified under street or race car. Perhaps they could be in charge of outlining the boundaries of tracks that aren't as well known.

Been a while since I've posted here, mainly since I've got Saturdays league to run. Anyways what should the technical director's duties be? Obviously decide weather a concept car is classified under street or race car. Perhaps they could be in charge of outlining the boundaries of tracks that aren't as well known.

Sounds so far redundant.

JLBowler
My belief is that anything with a full roll cage attached to the frame of the car at multiple points makes it a purpose built track car. Many of these cars are in fact street legal but they are still built for a track.

To answer your question. If I was going to take a purpose built drift car and race it, I would put slicks on it. I wouldn't race a car that was set up to drift, but if I had to, I would put slicks on it.

What about a pro-street built car? Tubbed and with a cage.

PD have also apparently been in contact with Motorsport Vision about scanning Oulton Park (best UK circuit in many drivers opinion) i heard this from a friend of a friend who used to work for them.... hopefully its true!!

Ive heard the same, more so for Brands Hatch. But have heard it for Silverstone... and Donington

👍
Maybe we can all agree on this?? If the car isn't a production model, it's for "competition," any type of COMPETITION. IDK exactly what constitutes a production car in real life... I think Ill look it up... but if its not a production car, it's meant for competition. Who knows what that Trans Sexual(Cammer) is but it's not production. I think we can all agree on that?

I dont see any useful answers on what is a production car. I think NASCAR requires the car to be produced for a certain amount of time and/or a certain amount of cars made. Having trouble finding the exact numbers

Last edited:
Ive heard the same, more so for Brands Hatch. But have heard it for Silverstone... and Donington

could it be possible they're thinking of creating a british touring car type series within the game since they're possibly scanning all these circuits... i can only hope!

So rather than starting anymore argumentative things, who wants to practice tonight around ten pm eastern time? Let's just friggen race it up a bit, and eventually these valid arguments that have been brought up will be resolved.

But of course! Anyone else think we need a Technical Director? Or possibly nominate someone for the job or even throw their own name into the hat?

I think we should. I'll volunteer too, not saying I know better than anyone else but I know quite a lot about various cars and their performance capabilities.

could it be possible they're thinking of creating a british touring car type series within the game since they're possibly scanning all these circuits... i can only hope!

God I hope they do more different types of cars in 6 or come out with themed DLCs like BTCC, WTCC cars. Maybe V8 Supercars. And a NASCAR track pack or F1 track pack. But I think 6 is just gonna have a bunch of tracks and nothing different with the cars. Just updated models you know. If they do anything, I hope they come out with ALOT more DLCs for 5. Gran Turismo is like a Tool CD, you cant rush it =))

I have any extra McLaren MP4-12C '10 if anybody wants it. It's brand new and still needs to be broken-in. I'll send it to whoever claims it first.

Zero, has this been claimed? If not, I would gladly accept it as I don't have this one .👍

I am interested in racing here TSR_KOSMIC_CAN

Hey TSRKOSMIC,

Thanks for your interest 👍 And welcome to S.N.A.I.L.

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both.

Follow These Steps:
1. I add you to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. (Done)
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
4. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Back