Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. joe_diben

joe_diben

Practice room up!

1472-6399-8665-9409-7078

2. Oshawa-Joe

Oshawa-Joe

I practiced so much today I started getting slower, if that is possible. I think some beer and steak should help. :)

See you guys in D2 tonight.

Digzeh likes this.
  3. TEX36

TEX36 Premium

Div-4 will be run as Friends Only. If you are a part time driver, and want to race tonight - be sure and send an FR to me. Even if we were "friends" before. I've had to delete many previous friends to make room for new folks.

4. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

If you have a question about anything related to SNAIL there is a link in the 1st post of this thread that will take you to an FAQ sheet. That sheet has links to just about anything you can think of that you might need to know. This includes color/number, rules, SNAIL OLR, standings, and everything else that we though you might need.

If going to the bottom of the first post is just too much work for you, it's also linked in my signature and in Dragonwhisky's signature. I'm sure there are other members that have it linked but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Do a little bit for yourself instead of trying to get someone else to do it for you.

aerolite and fzappa like this.
  5. Blake B

Blake B

Wow, ok thanks for that.

6. zer05ive

zer05ive Premium

Excellent reminders :tup:

turnupdaheat likes this.
  7. zer05ive

zer05ive Premium

NEW ADJUSTMENT FORMULA

Starting tonight, we will be using an improved adjustment formula to compare scores between divisions (for prize purposes). As has always been the case, it's easier to score more points when there are fewer drivers on the grid to compete against. Therefore, we use these adjustment formulas so that everyone has a reasonably equal chance of winning prizes, regardless of how many drivers each division has on any given night.

To understand why we're moving to a new formula, it's important to understand the previous methods we've used to compare the performances of drivers competing in varying grid sizes. The first method we used was this multiplier that would increase or decrease a driver's point total based on how many drivers were in the division. However, the multiplier was an approximation and we couldn't know for certain if it accurately simulated the difference in difficulty of winning races with varying grid sizes.

The second adjustment method we used was a formula where points awarded per race equalled 16-zx, or better expressed as 16-z(16/y), where y equaled the number of drivers in the race and z equaled the number of positions a given driver finished behind 1st place. And while this formula provided a mathematically valid evaluation of a driver's performance, it's major weakness was that if there were changes in grid size from race to race, it was possible for a driver who didn't win his division to end up with a higher adjusted score than the division winner.

With all this in mind, I'd like to introduce everyone to our new adjustment formula:

Adjusted Points = x[(y/z)/(1/n)] or simply xn(y/z)

x = Points scored by driver
    y = Total number of drivers in each race of driver's division
    z = Total number of drivers in each race of every division
    n = Number of divisions currently in the league

This new formula is, in many ways, a hybrid of our two previous adjustment methods. It represents the best aspects of each, while solving for the weaknesses of both. In a nutshell, this new formula takes everyone's point totals and adjusts it based on grid size. However, it now uses a mathematical equation to do this rather than an arbitrary ratio. It also now makes it mathematically impossible for a division winner to have less adjusted points than a non-division winner. In fact, the adjusted rankings for every division will now be identical to the non-adjusted rankings. It's essentially a combination of our previous adjustment methods, but is superior to both; a win-win solution in the truest sense. :tup:

NOTE: Please do not plagiarize this formula or any other original content on this thread. Not only is plagiarism a calling card of the desperately unintelligent, it's also something that is strictly prohibited on GTPlanet. I hate to even mention this since 99.9% of GTPlanet members are honest people, but there is unfortunately at least one GTPlanet member who feels that plagiarism is acceptable behavior and he has plagiarized many things from us (yes, even our points adjustment formula). If you would like to use this formula (or anything else on this thread) for your own league, all you have to do is ask. However, if you instead try to pass off our content as your own, you will be reported as a plagiarist.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. Oshawa-Joe

Oshawa-Joe

Yeah, that makes sense. About time we fixed the formula. :dopey:

JoeW likes this.
  9. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

see ya....
    i remember the initial FV grids in the NE Region at Lime Rock (pretty please PD you could scan it in a day!) that damn near stretched all the way around the track, racing in snarling packs of ten to twelve. We in Formula Ford regarded FV drivers as fearless fools while they regarded us as Richer fearless fools ... in 73 a used FF was around 4000 while a used FV was less than 1/2 the price. Now new FVs go for 15 to 20 k) from an old racing buddy...he says his 25 year old car is still mid pack capable in SCCA regional racing.

Here is a picture from a 2003 VEE race at Thunderhill image.jpg

zer05ive and RobbiefromBC like this.
  10. TBongX

TBongX

Yeah, I have the list and printed it out. No one else is using the color, number combo I selected.

chatva and Dragonwhisky like this.
  11. RobbiefromBC

RobbiefromBC

Funny you post that... You can clearly see my dad in that picture (Silver car in the middle, behind Ian Sweeney and Blake Tatum in the #7). What a cool weekend, I remember everything about it even though I was only five year old. That was also his rookie season with a hastily put together motor and a 'short box' transmission which definitely suit the track, but he ended up finishing ninth on saturday. Took us 16 hours of straight driving to get down there but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Quick question, what's the name of the gentleman you mentioned? Crazy small world eh?

Nail-27, Handlebar and zer05ive like this.
  12. TEX36

TEX36 Premium

@joe_diben has a practice room open
    1472-6399-8665-9409-7078
    Four of us working on the Willow track

13. chatva

chatva (Banned)

Unreal POWER you have here!

14. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

Opened room for d6 d7 practice

15. qwietstorm

qwietstorm

Hey guys, has anyone else with a G27 ever experienced a "notchy" feeling in the wheel when turning?

LLOYDZELITE69 likes this.
  16. LLOYDZELITE69

LLOYDZELITE69 Premium

Yup, happenes to my wheel once in a while. It goes away. And then comes back, there might be a chipped gear or something but it goes away. Just drive and swing the wheel back and forth quickly or something.

qwietstorm likes this.
  17. qwietstorm

qwietstorm

Thanks. I'll try it sometime this week. I'm going to skip tonight. Just getting home, been driving from NC all day.

18. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

Well I've gone and done it. I bought a G27 wheel. My driving force gt is fading fast

MajorBlixem, Nail-27 and Handlebar like this.
  19. TEX36

TEX36 Premium

Div-4 Friends Only room is open
    "Let's Go Racing"

zer05ive and DesertPenguin09 like this.
  20. joe_diben

joe_diben

Closed.

21. chevron

chevron

Please report out on how it performs... I'm still using my gt, upshift doesn't work once in a while, other times I get a double shift... Lol.

SHOCKY_WELL likes this.
  22. TRL_Importlife

TRL_Importlife

D1 is open.

23. IceWarden

IceWarden

D2 open for practice

24. fzappa

fzappa Premium

-D3 Is Now Open-

25. racingchamp30

racingchamp30

Division 6 is now open.

26. SHOCKY_WELL

SHOCKY_WELL

D7 room up

27. DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09 (Banned)

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

28. USERID_77a23

USERID_77a23

Division 5 open

spiraldave, Handlebar and KTR5 like this.
  29. chatva

chatva (Banned)

Can't find you

30. Handlebar

Handlebar Premium

Have fun, y'all.

Remember - you can't win a race on the first corner, but you sure can lose the race (and then some) unless you drive like a winner!

fzappa likes this.