• Thread starter aerolite
  • 7,567 comments
USGP 2018. Free Practice 2. Turn 11.

1F41C8B4-9004-4010-92EC-7EF3D1B415E3.jpeg
6B6D9219-E25A-4368-B03F-F538BDBC80EE.jpeg
C25D3F3A-FAF4-474B-A1A5-2058FBCDE421.jpeg
68E8FED2-E131-4EBB-9376-D09FA978B387.jpeg

Last edited:
Bear, at this point, I don't know which division you're in. If you're in the Clio, just drive the thing. Please don't remind us all night how much you hate fwd. just remember, the Clio is all throttle control to get through corners fast.
Camel, that's why I put you fast guys in a car that your division can throw around the track with confidence. I picked the Clio after testing for us lowly wankers like me who struggle with WRX racing in general.
Also, both cars are pretty even on the track, so I'm hoping for some inter division battles.
All of the penalties we normally use will be active as well.
David is JIM Carry and I'm the fat guy.

Oh by the way, did I mention I hate front wheel drive?

That first sentence, LMAO!

You’re right, Mike has been left with choosing the combos, as it is quite hard for me to do that sitting in the hospital. I could certainly just come up with some combos, but you’d be racing classic cars at great tracks each week ;) So ya, cut him some slack, he’s doing a pretty darn good job without my input each week.

That sucks Jeff, not getting the coverage. We still get our regular SkySports feed, I have practice 2 up right now. But you’re not missing much as it’s soaking wet and not much going on!

Well as it’s been alluded to here I have had a real crappy setback. I have been having a nagging muscle pain in my right thigh that keeps moving around. So I told doc on Monday that I wanted an X-ray for piece of mind, and he's saying most likely nothing but muscle stuff. But he agreed and told me would be Wednesday latest.
I wasn't hearing anything on my X-rays yesterday so went and pushed and finally got in around 3:30. The doc was here an hr later with not good news. The two big screws in the top of my right femur/hip are both bent, maybe one even broken. So now I'm keeping weight off that leg and will be doing minimal stuff here. I see the surgeon on Tuesday at 8am and find out wtf is going on! They also have a surgery spot set for Thursday. I have no choice but to continue on. I have to treat this as another bump that has happened for a reason. Hopefully the fix is a better solution and will be a better long term solution as well. I’m just glad I found this out now through my persistence of an X-ray rather than 3 or 4 months down the road. I sure hope it doesn't make my recovery that much longer, I need to get back with you guys!

Edit: Got ninja'd by Red on the F1 stuff!

Before
View attachment 774950

After
View attachment 774951
That really sucks Steve. But yeah, better to have found out now rather than later. So back in for warranty work eh?

Wow Steve, those images are intense! Way to speak up and be heard. It's so hard for guys like us, who aren't normally whiners, to be taken serious when we know something's not right. Hopefully this is an easy fix without much recovery. We're still in this together bro. We shall overcome!

Damn Steve, that sucks to hear that you’re having to go back in for surgery. I hope it all goes well and that 2019 is a much better year for you than ‘18 has been.

Thanks for the kind words once again guys, it all helps. I was so close to going home (next Friday), four months later.
It’s hard waiting until Tuesday am to find out how they plan to fix this. You can just imagine, as a Tool&DieMaker, how it’s driving me nuts because I just can’t figure out how it’s happened and why. I do have some ideas but I’m just going to have to wait. Will let you know soon!
Gutter, waive at the camera if you see one! Looks like it will be a dry qualy and a warmer sunnier day tomorrow. Hoping to see someone dethrone Lewis at Austin.

Remember fellas, 2/3 of the the brain power is out on medical leave right now. Mike's been left with all the heavy lifting of car and track selection - every week! Cut the poor guy some slack, he's been fighting the good fight to keep this league going without his partner for quite a while now. Believe me, if I weren't laid up myself, I'd be helping as much as I could to try and lighten the load on Mike - especially with car and track selection - as that's the most subjective part of the process. The rest is details that fall into calculations - that EVERYONE should be able to figure out by now. @The__Camel made a friendly suggestion - no whining. That was nice. (And made some sense to me too. Ice & 4wd = FUN!) I know it seems like @aerolite is back to helping out, since he's doing scoring, but it's still obvious to me that Lobbie is pulling this sled uphill on his own quite a bit. Personally, I'm grateful that Mike's kept the league afloat so well. I AM going to return to sim racing - and I just pray it'll still be in this league. I can't remember one occasion where Mike or Steve can be quoted as saying : "Guys, stop suggesting car and track combos, we just aren't interested in what you'd like to race on Mondays." I'm sure Mike's ears are wide open right now, and he'd take any help he can get. That's my PSA for the day.

Wanna know what really grinds my gears though? Minimal F1 coverage because the race is in my home country this weekend. No free practice, no qualifying, just the race - AND WITH COMMERCIALS because it's on an American network and not ESPN. Hopefully @GUTTERBOY3007 will be seeing it live. How about you Alex? You going this year?

That's very kind of you Jeff, but it you guys who keep this Lounge alive. We're almost two years into this endeavour and it's still going strong thanks to you guys. My job is not that hard.... I can always pick combos with minimal testing and hosting is not a big deal. It's the scoring that I have trouble with, thank God Steve is still able to do that.
Seeing those bent SS screws make me wonder why they wouldn't use unobtanium or titanium screws. I would think that the bend would be the other way from putting weight on the leg, but it's bent the other way......what's up with that?

Thinking it may have been because he might have put some extra strain on the leg during some part of the physical therapy period, maybe in trying to push it more a bit to hasten the recovery process, or could be it took an extra strain on the part when he took that fall. Remember he have some big legs too eh.

The weather Gods screwed me today. I had a chance to go flying with my instructor, but he cancelled on me due to strong winds. Too bad. I have about 10 hours of logged flights in his CT with about half of these flights with me as Pilot in command. What a sweet machine. And yes, this is considered an Ultralight in Canada.

The weather Gods screwed me today. I had a chance to go flying with my instructor, but he cancelled on me due to strong winds. Too bad. I have about 10 hours of logged flights in his CT with about half of these flights with me as Pilot in command. What a sweet machine. And yes, this is considered an Ultralight in Canada.

Allyuh old fellas real harden you know. After what happen with Aero you still taking chance to go fly aeroplane? You know what will happen if you crash? Old bones does take long to heal you know.

That's very kind of you Jeff, but it you guys who keep this Lounge alive. We're almost two years into this endeavour and it's still going strong thanks to you guys. My job is not that hard.... I can always pick combos with minimal testing and hosting is not a big deal. It's the scoring that I have trouble with, thank God Steve is still able to do that.
Seeing those bent SS screws make me wonder why they wouldn't use unobtanium or titanium screws. I would think that the bend would be the other way from putting weight on the leg, but it's bent the other way......what's up with that?
Maybe you were looking at the X-ray upside down?

Thanks for the kind words once again guys, it all helps. I was so close to going home (next Friday), four months later.
It’s hard waiting until Tuesday am to find out how they plan to fix this. You can just imagine, as a Tool&DieMaker, how it’s driving me nuts because I just can’t figure out how it’s happened and why. I do have some ideas but I’m just going to have to wait. Will let you know soon!
Gutter, waive at the camera if you see one! Looks like it will be a dry qualy and a warmer sunnier day tomorrow. Hoping to see someone dethrone Lewis at Austin.
Oh, believe me, I've often pondered how surgeons go into medical school because they don't want to work with their hands. Then they use the same tools and hardware as a carpenter or tool & die maker. Most of these surgeons couldn't hang a screen door plumb and true, but they're tasked with rebuilding our bodies. Not that I don't have confidence in surgeons, but there's always this question in my mind, "Do they really know exactly what to do, every time? Steve's hip is just a flat out hardware failure. Were those long screws ever intended to handle the load they were tasked with? Unfortunately, we never know. Because surgery mistakes are as admitted to as much as farts in church are.

Bought Dirt Rally 4 yesterday from the PS Store. 75% Off discount off the regular price = US$14.99.
Offer available till 24th Oct. Couldn't pass up the steal of a deal. Did some practicing this morning, started Career and it seems very good. Much better than V-Rally 4 which up to now is disappointing.

Last edited:
Bought Dirt Rally 4 yesterday from the PS Store. 75% Off discount off the regular price = US$14.99.
Offer available till 24th Oct. Couldn't pass up the steal of a deal. Did some practicing this morning, started Career and it seems very good. Much better than V-Rally 4 which up to now is disappointing.
Did you get DIRT 4 or DIRT RALLY? I have DIRT RALLY and I can tell you it is the best Rally game out of the new ones.

I say out of the new ones because, many experienced Sim Rally guys swear by some of the older Rally games like Colin McRae and Sebastian Loeb Racing.

However, when it comes to the new ones, I'd take DIRT RALLY.. It's even better then the new WRC 7 Game that I got recently on sale as well.

Edit: I just found out that my job tomorrow is a late one and unfortunately am going to have to miss tomorrow nights fun in the snow.. :indiff:

Did you get DIRT 4 or DIRT RALLY? I have DIRT RALLY and I can tell you it is the best Rally game out of the new ones.

I say out of the new ones because, many experienced Sim Rally guys swear by some of the older Rally games like Colin McRae and Sebastian Loeb Racing.

However, when it comes to the new ones, I'd take DIRT RALLY.. It's even better then the new WRC 7 Game that I got recently on sale as well.:indiff:
Yeah it's Dirt 4 I meant. Really nice and I like the handling and everything.

I also searched for WRC 7 when I went searching for reviews prior to purchasing Dirt 4 and Dirt 4 toped out in reviews over WRC7.
Also wasn't keen on getting WRC 7 seeing as it came out of the same stable as V-Rally 4 (Big Ben). Done wasn't impressed with V-Rally/Beg Ben and the round-a-bout ways you have to do to proceed with their games etc and limitations.

However, when it comes to the new ones, I'd take DIRT RALLY.. It's even better then the new WRC 7 Game that I got recently on sale as well.

Edit: I just found out that my job tomorrow is a late one and unfortunately am going to have to miss tomorrow nights fun in the snow.. :indiff:
Gotta agree here. Dirt Rally is just mind blowing good. PCars 2 is my favorite, Assetto and Dirt Rally tied for second favorite. No spoilers here, but man the F1 race was a hoot to watch this afternoon. Just some fine racing on an awesome (devil) track. I may fire up the PS4 just to do a few laps around COTA - as much as my back will tolerate, that is. My wife says I'm moving around noticeably better since my last hip injection. Hard for me to tell because pain is pain. But she can see improvement in my posture and says my activity has definitely increased. Baby steps, but maybe I'm healing a bit. Still see surgeon next week for final decision on surgery though. Also still hopeful for corrective surgery.

Last edited:
Great race today. I was glad to see Kimi win (possibly his last victory in F1). And it’s cool that the championship chase is still going on to the next round in Mexico. GT Planet can’t handle video clips, but here’s Kimi, Max and Lewis...

7641256E-BF0C-4890-9FAE-767D79F75D3F.jpeg

PS: I can’t make the race Monday night, school stuff to do with my daughter. See you guys next week. Have fun!

Last edited:
@GUTTERBOY3007
Hey Steve, it was a great race, cool you were able to see that one live! Looked like all the stands were full!

FYI, it's always a good idea to put posts with race results in a "Spoiler" tag, just in case someone has the race taped and didn't see it yet. It's the icon 5 from the right at the top.

:cheers:

Great race today. I was glad to see Kimi win (possibly his last victory in F1). And it’s cool that the championship chase is still going on to the next round in Mexico. GT Planet can’t handle video clips, but here’s Kimi, Max and Lewis...
Yes, turned out to be a great race..... after I considered changing the channel to "Days of Our Lives" or CNN after the first lap....

My Mr. Awwesome streak will most likely come to an end tonight - me and slippery conditions don't stick together very well. Saying that, enjoy this is video of some REAL awesomeness.

Yup, that's sure some awesome stuff right there.

Remember fellas, 2/3 of the the brain power is out on medical leave right now. Mike's been left with all the heavy lifting of car and track selection - every week! Cut the poor guy some slack, he's been fighting the good fight to keep this league going without his partner for quite a while now. Believe me, if I weren't laid up myself, I'd be helping as much as I could to try and lighten the load on Mike - especially with car and track selection - as that's the most subjective part of the process. The rest is details that fall into calculations - that EVERYONE should be able to figure out by now. @The__Camel made a friendly suggestion - no whining. That was nice. (And made some sense to me too. Ice & 4wd = FUN!) I know it seems like @aerolite is back to helping out, since he's doing scoring, but it's still obvious to me that Lobbie is pulling this sled uphill on his own quite a bit. Personally, I'm grateful that Mike's kept the league afloat so well. I AM going to return to sim racing - and I just pray it'll still be in this league. I can't remember one occasion where Mike or Steve can be quoted as saying : "Guys, stop suggesting car and track combos, we just aren't interested in what you'd like to race on Mondays." I'm sure Mike's ears are wide open right now, and he'd take any help he can get. That's my PSA for the day.

Wanna know what really grinds my gears though? Minimal F1 coverage because the race is in my home country this weekend. No free practice, no qualifying, just the race - AND WITH COMMERCIALS because it's on an American network and not ESPN. Hopefully @GUTTERBOY3007 will be seeing it live. How about you Alex? You going this year?

I didn't make it out this year but all 3 of the practice and quali were on ESPN and just the race was on ABC. I was out of town but have them all recorded.

That first sentence, LMAO!

You’re right, Mike has been left with choosing the combos,

Well as it’s been alluded to here I have had a real crappy setback. I have been having a nagging muscle pain in my right thigh that keeps moving around. So I told doc on Monday that I wanted an X-ray for piece of mind, and he's saying most likely nothing but muscle stuff. But he agreed and told me would be Wednesday lates
Man that sucks. I am glad that you persisted for the Xrays. Now, I'm not a doctor, and I'm not an engineer either, but that first picture just looks like WTF. THAT is not going to hold ANY stress in the sheer plane. Please refer your doctor to Carol Smith's books, particularly 'Engineer to Win' and 'Prepare to Win'. Even the most basic knowledge of the subject will tell someone that setup looks weak. And I agree on the titanium (or at LEAST stainless or AN bolts, those look like wood screws form Home Depot. And I am saying all of this without humor - that seems piss poor to me unless it was just a temporary emplacement with a better fix planned later. We are (almost) as frustrated as you are Steve - to see you well and back on track. Hang in there we are your support group. I will send another hula outfit if it helps.

We are very grateful for all that you are doing @Mike Lobban, and your help and presence Steve. It does take a virtual village, but you guys are the Grand Poohbahs that keep us truckin'.

Bear, at this point, I don't know which division you're in.

Sooo. does that mean last Monday he may not have been Division B? :lol:
We just got back from coldland yesterday, but I will try to make it tonight... I'll be the guy with snow tires in the GTO...

Steve and I's winter project.

Whoa, that is pretty dang cool. The video looks like something from a sci-fi movie.
Like I always say, we grew up watching 'Star Wars', now we are living it

Back