◆ SNAIL [THE LOBANARO LOUNGE] No longer runningPS4 

• Thread starter aerolite
  • 7,567 comments
We had our first official SRM PC night last night racing in AMS2. It was fun, casual, some good banter, very close to our Lounge Monday night. Let's see if I can remember the regulars who were there, Mike, Red, CB, Mcinnis, Spiffy and myself, and ex Lounge guy's Alex and MPhile. I think the rest of the guys were friends of Alex and Mphile from iracing, good racers all.
If any of you are on the fence regarding getting a PC, my experience over the last couple of weeks has been nothing but positive going that route. AMS2 is what PCars 3 should have been, and ACC is just amazing.
I also just got the new MS Flight Sim, which is really good.
Missing the rest of you, come on over to the darker side, you did it before, you can do it again, :lol: (Sgeti, I know your credit card is flipping in your fingers!)
:cheers:

It was a lot of FUN and I second everything Steve said. Totally worth it.

I will add that you do not have to spend a ton of money. I already had a decent HP desktop, bought a GPU (GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6GB) and a new power supply about two years ago to play PUBG and the same machine runs AMS2 on 1440@60fps flawlessly. You can probably find the same GPU on ebay for under $100. I use the same TV I use on PS4.

Comon guys, DO IT. DO IT. DO IT.

We had our first official SRM PC night last night racing in AMS2. It was fun, casual, some good banter, very close to our Lounge Monday night. Let's see if I can remember the regulars who were there, Mike, Red, CB, Mcinnis, Spiffy and myself, and ex Lounge guy's Alex and MPhile. I think the rest of the guys were friends of Alex and Mphile from iracing, good racers all.
If any of you are on the fence regarding getting a PC, my experience over the last couple of weeks has been nothing but positive going that route. AMS2 is what PCars 3 should have been, and ACC is just amazing.
I also just got the new MS Flight Sim, which is really good.
Missing the rest of you, come on over to the darker side, you did it before, you can do it again, :lol: (Sgeti, I know your credit card is flipping in your fingers!)
:cheers:
Alright Steve, NO B.S. What would it realistically cost me to get into a PC?

Granted, a PS5 will probably be $500, so how much more than that? I don't want any, "this would probably get you by" crap, because I'm pretty sure you all know me better than that by now. A Journeyman that I apprenticed with became a great friend, and he said I only had one motto: "Go big or Go home!" Now, this wouldn't necessarily apply to a PC for me. I'm really not an I.T. guy. And frankly, I can't stand mouse clicking trying to make programs run when I could be out in my garage fabricating something out of metal, or rebuilding something mechanical. BUT!!! I also wouldn't be able to stand sub-par performance because I cut a few corners. So, given that, what's a "respectable" system going to cost? It would sit in the basement, attached to my rig, and only get fired up when I race. I wouldn't even check email on it. (This is why it's tough for me to justify). But I really want to join you guys. I don't want any more sim-cade racing games. And F1 isn't enough to live by, and that's taking a big leap saying F1 isn't sim-cade. Automobilista, RaceRoom, Assetto Corsa (with button-box and third party app support + mods), Assetto Corsa Competizione', and just possibly the grand daddy some day, iRacing. They all make me drool. Everything I've bought is PC compatible, so it would just be a system and games. Ball Park it. Anyone else feel free to jump in. I'm really on the fence here. My son will almost certainly be getting a new XBox for Christmas, plus an XBox Live account. So, do I pile another $500 into a PS5 to hook up to my rig, or do I just bite the bullet and get a PC? Are PCs forever - meaning endlessly up-gradable? Hmm... It was so much easier when I had a PlayStation crew.

On a lighter note, my wife showed me this video a couple hours ago. She fully warned me it would probably make me cry. I'm such a sap when it comes to kids.

I just teared up again watching it. :rolleyes:

Granted, a PS5 will probably be $500, so how much more than that? I don't want any, "this would probably get you by" crap, because I'm pretty sure you all know me better than that by now. A Journeyman that I apprenticed with became a great friend, and he said I only had one motto: "Go big or Go home!" Now, this wouldn't necessarily apply to a PC for me. I'm really not an I.T. guy. And frankly, I can't stand mouse clicking trying to make programs run when I could be out in my garage fabricating something out of metal, or rebuilding something mechanical. BUT!!! I also wouldn't be able to stand sub-par performance because I cut a few corners. So, given that, what's a "respectable" system going to cost? It would sit in the basement, attached to my rig, and only get fired up when I race. I wouldn't even check email on it. (This is why it's tough for me to justify). But I really want to join you guys. I don't want any more sim-cade racing games. And F1 isn't enough to live by, and that's taking a big leap saying F1 isn't sim-cade. Automobilista, RaceRoom, Assetto Corsa (with button-box and third party app support + mods), Assetto Corsa Competizione', and just possibly the grand daddy some day, iRacing. They all make me drool. Everything I've bought is PC compatible, so it would just be a system and games. Ball Park it. Anyone else feel free to jump in. I'm really on the fence here. My son will almost certainly be getting a new XBox for Christmas, plus an XBox Live account. So, do I pile another $500 into a PS5 to hook up to my rig, or do I just bite the bullet and get a PC? Are PCs forever - meaning endlessly up-gradable? Hmm... It was so much easier when I had a PlayStation crew.

On a lighter note, my wife showed me this video a couple hours ago. She fully warned me it would probably make me cry. I'm such a sap when it comes to kids.

It really comes down to what monitor you want to run. If your 1080P, a 1K system will be fantastic (this is what I run, and @SGETI s is similar). If you go 1440P+ you’ll need a little more horse power to keep max graphics settings. You really shouldn’t need more than a 2K machine, but figure in a new monitor if you go that route, otherwise it’s just wasting power.

Only about $10,000 USD and a very good anti-virus program.

Fake news. How much did you spend on that Fanatec wheel to play Project Cars 3 and Wreckfest? Must be a good investment, haven’t heard you complain about it once. ;)

Fake news. How much did you spend on that Fanatec wheel to play Project Cars 3 and Wreckfest? Must be a good investment, haven’t heard you complain about it once. ;)
Yeah but the wheel is a good investment. And the games are small change.
As for the console that is a minuscule cost in comparison to him now having to spend a heaping bunch of money to build a decent gaming PC including the numerous items needed for it. Additionally having to spend yet more money on a proper capable monitor or monitors. Plus don't forget the good anti-virus software. It all adds up. So there. :P

Mike had his contact build me a PC to meet the recommended requirements for the new MS Flight Sim, which is plenty for my racing needs. It cost $1300 CDN. I’m still using everything else I had when using the PS4 and it’s just fine.
I really like the monitor that Mike got and I might go with one of those, more for my vision needs than anything else.
When I’m on my computer I’ll send you a break down of the PC.

@Gr8_Lakes , this is whjat I finally decided upon. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sgeti/saved/#view=rFjH23

I also struggled with the idea of dropping up to $2k on a pc that will only be used to advance my driving fantasy in an alternative reality. Also with PS5 coming out, est. price $499. - $699. the time to make the change for me is now. You can go to the top of the mountain like @Rednose58 and the price will easily climb past the $2K mark. What a beast of a machine Red, :bowdown:.

When I started to 'build' my PC I reached for the clouds and soon realized my eyes where much bigger than my stomach. That is saying a lot, especially if you have seen my stomach. I read, talked, youtube and asked questions, @2pfspiff is a library of information. :bowdown::cheers:. I was able to find a sweet spot for my needs in regards to value vs performance. Needs vs. wants.

Will I be upgrading my system I have yet to build? More than likely, that wide azz monitor @Mike Lobban is sporting is tops of my list. :cheers:

I just teared up again watching it

That one pulled hard at my heart strings. thank you. :bowdown::cheers:👍

@Gr8_Lakes , this is whjat I finally decided upon. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sgeti/saved/#view=rFjH23

I also struggled with the idea of dropping up to $2k on a pc that will only be used to advance my driving fantasy in an alternative reality. Also with PS5 coming out, est. price $499. - $699. the time to make the change for me is now. You can go to the top of the mountain like @Rednose58 and the price will easily climb past the $2K mark. What a beast of a machine Red, :bowdown:.

When I started to 'build' my PC I reached for the clouds and soon realized my eyes where much bigger than my stomach. That is saying a lot, especially if you have seen my stomach. I read, talked, youtube and asked questions, @2pfspiff is a library of information. :bowdown::cheers:. I was able to find a sweet spot for my needs in regards to value vs performance. Needs vs. wants.

Will I be upgrading my system I have yet to build? More than likely, that wide azz monitor @Mike Lobban is sporting is tops of my list. :cheers:

That one pulled hard at my heart strings. thank you. :bowdown::cheers:👍

My components were "mostly reasonable", except for the video card. That was a bit expensive. But, I can run all the settings at maximum and that is kinda nice. ACC on PS4 on Thursday nights.... it's like having a mosquito net in front of the monitor.

Yeah but the wheel is a good investment. And the games are small change.
As for the console that is a minuscule cost in comparison to him now having to spend a heaping bunch of money to build a decent gaming PC including the numerous items needed for it. Additionally having to spend yet more money on a proper capable monitor or monitors. Plus don't forget the good anti-virus software. It all adds up. So there. :P

The people that are looking for answers know who they should and shouldn’t take advice from.

if you want to drop $600 on a wheel to play games designed for a $60 controller. More power to you.

The people that are looking for answers know who they should and shouldn’t take advice from.

if you want to drop $600 on a wheel to play games designed for a $60 controller. More power to you.
Yeah but with that high tech 10x times processing speed, extra high quality graphics etc etc coming with the new PS5 and Xbox consoles at a fraction of the price to building a gaming PC the games will play much better and probably equitable to a gaming PC. Win-Win.
Don't say I didn't tell you.

RHiD0K65NxxLO.gif

Yeah I won't be dropping 2K on a PC, guess I'll see you guys later.

Who said if had to be 2K? Pretty sure I said mine and Sgetis are 1k and do everything well. Keeping your monitor/tv and wheel. Only extras are games.

Yeah but with that high tech 10x times processing speed, extra high quality graphics etc etc coming with the new PS5 and Xbox consoles at a fraction of the price to building a gaming PC the games will play much better and probably equitable to a gaming PC. Win-Win.
Don't say I didn't tell you.

What racing games are you going to play on your PS5?

I really don't want to drag this out. :lol:

Yeah I won't be dropping 2K on a PC, guess I'll see you guys later.

You really don't NEED to drop $2K or even $3K on a new PC. You may want to, I know at the beginning of this journey I wanted all the bells and whistles, max out everything on elite settings. I was able to come to a balance on performance vs. cost. The way I look at it, I only paid $400. more than I would for a PS5. ($600. est.)

Since I only paid $400. for my new PC, I have money remaining to upgrade in the future. Logical.

Sorry I have been AWOL guys. Been caught up with family drama and transitioning out of my dad's apartment for good. I will let you all know when the dust settles and I am free to race again.

Sorry to hear that Stinko. Family drama sucks.
I’m sorry guys for starting family drama here just because I built a PC. I didn’t mean to open this can of worms. Seeing that I’m old and decrepit (not as old as David tho), I’m spending money on things I enjoy, money that’s just sitting in a bank collecting dust. My kids are well established in their careers and have already received their inheritance money from my Mom and I have also been very generous to them over the years as well. There’s money set aside to plant me when that time comes. I won’t ever be put into an old folks home.....I’ll kill myself first.
My computer was bought to be able to play the new flight sim, the racing as it turns out is AWWWESOME as well. ..except for the public rooms, they still suck. Me and Steve were flying down a river canyon in Idaho landing on sandbars yesterday. What a riot. Steve can post a couple of pics.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that consoles are dead to me. I feel bad the Lobanaro Lounge is in a coma for the time being.....if it reopens it will be on pc. I know some of you guys are pissed aboot that but hey, it was time to move up for me. The

Since I built my pc, I have only played Star Wars Battlefront, Tomb Raider (cuz my wife like's it too) and Ride 3 - because Ride 4 isn't out yet on PC - on PS4. i built up a PC like Red's so I didn't feel like I "wished" I had got that, or that, that... and so on. My build is ready for what I have now, triples, or VR.

But as stated, you don't need to spend that kind of money... you could find a half decent pc on Fb marketplace or Craigslist and spend a few $$$'s on it and have a machine that will run any of today's games. I went and spent the money on ACC for PS4 - what a waste of money that was. You won't go back to console, or at least I can't, once you race on a PC. The steering wheels and pedals even work better on PC than on consoles... not sure why, but it is a thing.

I sure miss racing with you guys (but did download AMS2 Friday night - like so far, what PCars 2 should've evolved to) but also still race with some of you guys once in awhile. Alex and I race once or twice a week in iRacing and I am running in a weekly league with some really good guys and having a total blast racing with an organized league and clean racers.

Not sure where the hell this was going... :rolleyes: all I can say is that if you ever play a racing game on PC, like I got to play PCars 2 in VR, you'll see how much better that platform is to spend time in our hobby. Hope to see you guys soon on track! :cheers:

VR...... I was tempted to get the VR on PS4 for GTSport, but they only have limited off-line capabilities and the resolution was crap. I tested it at my brother's place. The experience was unbelievable but I decided to wait until things are better quality. I also want to have it available for all modes of the game.

What are the opinions out there: Are we there yet? or do I wait a bit longer?

Thinks that I would like to know:
- Does it come with it's own head phones or can I use my current set? (Might have to develop a F1 neck)
- Are they Bluetooth or do you have to deal with a wire running to the PC?
- Those of you who have one - are you really "blown away" or are you just saying that to save face because you spent a lot of money?
- What is the single thing that is the most annoying about it?

VR...... I was tempted to get the VR on PS4 for GTSport, but they only have limited off-line capabilities and the resolution was crap. I tested it at my brother's place. The experience was unbelievable but I decided to wait until things are better quality. I also want to have it available for all modes of the game.

- Does it come with it's own head phones or can I use my current set? (Might have to develop a F1 neck)
- Those of you who have one - are you really "blown away" or are you just saying that to save face because you spent a lot of money?

Red, get on the Discord and ask those guys. B_Matt (Brian) and Chris Richards use VR almost exclusively.

Sorry to hear that Stinko. Family drama sucks.
I’m sorry guys for starting family drama here just because I built a PC. I didn’t mean to open this can of worms. Seeing that I’m old and decrepit (not as old as David tho), I’m spending money on things I enjoy, money that’s just sitting in a bank collecting dust. My kids are well established in their careers and have already received their inheritance money from my Mom and I have also been very generous to them over the years as well. There’s money set aside to plant me when that time comes. I won’t ever be put into an old folks home.....I’ll kill myself first.
My computer was bought to be able to play the new flight sim, the racing as it turns out is AWWWESOME as well. ..except for the public rooms, they still suck. Me and Steve were flying down a river canyon in Idaho landing on sandbars yesterday. What a riot. Steve can post a couple of pics.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that consoles are dead to me. I feel bad the Lobanaro Lounge is in a coma for the time being.....if it reopens it will be on pc. I know some of you guys are pissed aboot that but hey, it was time to move up for me. The
As a 20 y/o it can be hard to relate to the old-heads sometimes :lol:, but I totally understand. You've worked your entire life and your kids have been taken care of and are (seemingly) successful. No use bringing your money to the grave. Have fun, and spend it on what you want. God bless

Yes, jump on there and ask those guys. Most of them swear by it. Edward, Zii, only runs in VR now. I watched him stream a race after I crashed the car that Alex and I were in in the Endurance race at Bathurst. :lol: And it is intriguing to watch.

When I played it on Pcars2, it was amazing... I don't own it, obviously, but to look behind you and see the entire car modeled is crazy ****!! Best I can describe it is running triples with a 3d effect. I don't have triples either, but got to try those as well. I got a bit dizzy the first ten minutes or so, but adjusted to it. Not sure I would want to have an extended gaming period with it, or do a 45 minute "serious" race, either. Pretty content with what I am running (for now). :mischievous:

I’ve watched and read quite a bit about VR on PC. From what I understand, don’t even try it until you’re ready to commit to using it full time. It’s been compared to the jump from a controller to a wheel - that kind of difference.

I can only speak to the PS4 VR headset. It requires earbuds plugged into the cable powering/transmitting to the headset. The headset is light and pretty comfy, even after a couple hours. I’ve tried my sound headset over the VR headset. It works, kinda, but isn’t comfy and the sound isn’t that much better than some regular Sony rubber tipped earbuds ($18). The PS4s resolution is crap compared to PC versions, but the immersion is still mind blowing. I really feel like VR was made for sim-racing or flight sims. Games where you sit in a seat and look around.

It won’t be too soon, but I think Steve has turned me off of a PS5. I don’t play any games other than sim-racing titles, and it just doesn’t make sense to buy a PS5 when everything I really want is on PC. If GT had kept up with the realism of other titles, I’d be anxious to see what the new generation console can deliver. But it really sounds like it’s just going to be the same types of games with better graphics and faster load times. I just don’t think us BOBS are the target demographic for console game studios.

Anyone try rFactor 2 yet? Also drool worthy for me. Built on SMS’s Madness engine, but a more refined game. Again, what PCars should’ve evolved into. Ian Bell really is... well, I don’t want to violate the GTPlanet code of conduct. Just a lost opportunity with the franchise, at least so far. It’ll be interesting to see what Codemasters does in the future.

Hopefully it won’t be too long until we’re reunited. But this IS NOT going to go over well with the Mrs. - Kinda like a loud fart in church!

Going to have to get creative with this endeavor

Creative.

Do you ever buy items off Craig's list or another local listing site?

Yes, we may proceed.

The idea is for you buy or build your gaming PC. Do not use a joint credit card or checking account.

If you are building have the parts sent to a local friend or job address.

Take only 2 or 3 pics. Make sure the back drop can not be traced to your house or work.

Send those pics to one of us. We all have your back.

The fake add is placed, with pictures, phony addr and phone. $1400. PC for only $800. but, but,

you tell her you talked him down to $600 or $650. If you are not known as a savvy negotiator, we have, excuse me, you will have a harder sell. Try, the guy was desperate, needs $$, covid related.

She may express her feelings about the money and timing of said purchase.

This part is key, you need to sell her, You need to convince her you will be breaking even, remind her the cost of the new PS5 you were planning to buy is estimated to be around $600. Amazing, it’s like breaking even.

This is the cherry on top, this is the action which will win her over. You may even get some….. Since you did not spend all the money you had planned, depending on purchase price you lied about you give her the $150. or $200., What married wife do you know who would not be elated that her caring husband was thinking of her. Don’t F up the and forget what you told her you paid for the PC. The amount you give her will determine how cheap you really are.

If she asks to see the add, it will have been deleted.

If she asks to see the text msg/ You will delete any browsing and/or text msg. If she asks why you deleted? just don’t need them.

Some may say creative, Some may say devious, some may say, including this guy, if you try pulling the s h it make sure you also have the money needed for first, last and security deposit on your new apartment.

Back