♦SNAIL WRRC (CLOSED)PS4 

• Thread starter Lessen
  • 3,864 comments
image.jpeg
My life its such a drag, right now! I can't race!

Soooooooooooooooooo.... When are we getting on our first Assetto adventure, huh?
Assetto has one amazing characteristic for those lazy tuners like @JoeW or @Lessen :dopey:
Make a little check on tire pressure and most of the cars are just ready to rock n' roll.

Soooooooooooooooooo.... When are we getting on our first Assetto adventure, huh?
Assetto has one amazing characteristic for those lazy tuners like @JoeW or @Lessen :dopey:
Make a little check on tire pressure and most of the cars are just ready to rock n' roll.

Sometime after they fix it so I can properly map my brake.... Or I get a rig...

I think I am mostly done with tuning series. Just seeing the advantage people have because of tuning skills is getting me down.

And then Lessen drives me into the wall on purpose. J/k I watched the replay and there was nothing that could be done...it's happened to me before as well. Just kinda jaded on tuning and broken games. I am a Spec guy through and through.

I think I am mostly done with tuning series. Just seeing the advantage people have because of tuning skills is getting me down.

And then Lessen drives me into the wall on purpose. J/k I watched the replay and there was nothing that could be done...it's happened to me before as well. Just kinda jaded on tuning and broken games. I am a Spec guy through and through.

I think when it comes to race night, the whole tuning thing is overrated when it comes to pace. I made minimal changes to my car from its stock setup and I couldn't touch your speed, yet I would have been legitimately 3rd without that incident. My car was predictable/saveable and doesn't get away from me until 12+ laps in tires. Just like the old Sunday series, consistency still prevails.

Joe, I have very little tuning knowledge here and don't particularly like the idea of strapping on somebody else's work. I will take the long road when it comes to learning the tune and let my racecraft carry me on Wednesdays. You're a good enough driver to finish well no matter how fast your car is.

I think when it comes to race night, the whole tuning thing is overrated when it comes to pace. I made minimal changes to my car from its stock setup and I couldn't touch your speed, yet I would have been legitimately 3rd without that incident. My car was predictable/saveable and doesn't get away from me until 12+ laps in tires. Just like the old Sunday series, consistency still prevails.

Joe, I have very little tuning knowledge here and don't particularly like the idea of strapping on somebody else's work. I will take the long road when it comes to learning the tune and let my racecraft carry me on Wednesdays. You're a good enough driver to finish well no matter how fast your car is.
I think it's just the unknown factor. I hate knowing that someone may or may not have an advantage that skill can't overcome. All things being equal, the better tune wins.

I agree with Joe, I don't like tuning because I suck at it, it takes time that I mostly don't have, and I have no idea what I'm doing 95% of the time.

But, and this is a big but, competition always trumps hot laps. So even if I may be losing pace due to my sucky tune, I haven't found anything even remotely close to how well the PITS format works for me, even if it's not multiclass. I love endurance racing and this is as good as it gets until someone makes a WEC video game.

I'd be sorry to see you leave, Joe, because you're clean, you're fast, and it's a shame to lose good people.

Well I'm not done done. But I will probably choose to race tracks that are more suited to fun racing. I can't tell you how many laps I wasted behind slower traffic who wouldn't move over. If you are being lapped then stop blocking me from trying catch the drivers up ahead. Very irritating and it made me change my pit strategy for race 2...which ended up sucking.

Oulton is just too narrow for any good door to door racing. Same with Rapuana next week.

Flip what was your pit strategy in race 2? My thinking was I was going to spend a lot of time behind slower traffic to start the race so I started on mediums and went to the 30 minute mark and changed to softs for the last 15 minutes. Bad idea. My times were terrible and I couldn't get out of my own way.

But the two stop strategy in Race 1 was frustrating because I couldn't do the times I needed to catch Hazard because I was trapped behind lapped traffic half the time.

Just a frustrating night. If it were at a track like Nurb GP/F then that would not be an issue.

The combos being selected just aren't ideal for 16 drivers. The tracks should suit the car as well as accommodate racing...not hot lapping. I couldn't even get in a solid qualifying lap last night because I always ended up behind someone.

I'm surprised you went for a 2-stop in race 1. I actually never inteded to stop twice. It never even crossed my mind that anybody would want to stop twice. I guess running 1:39s is rough on the tires...?

I'm surprised you went for a 2-stop in race 1. I actually never inteded to stop twice. It never even crossed my mind that anybody would want to stop twice. I guess running 1:39s is rough on the tires...?
Yeah, if you can find the room to run 1:39s. That was the problem. I only ran a few laps in that range because of traffic. When I was hot lapping solo, a bunch of 1:39s would get you near the bottom of your tires in 15 minutes. You could push them to 20 min maybe but you risk crashing a lot. So rigged the car for max speed...started with 20 liters and soft tires, pit at 15 min and 30 min for 20 liters and softs. Running 1:39s all race would have made the extra stop viable and I wouldn't have to be careful on bald tires.

But it never panned out because you can't turn those times in a crowd.

I should have just run softs, made 1 stop and just drive it a little slower.

Well I'm not done done. But I will probably choose to race tracks that are more suited to fun racing. I can't tell you how many laps I wasted behind slower traffic who wouldn't move over. If you are being lapped then stop blocking me from trying catch the drivers up ahead. Very irritating and it made me change my pit strategy for race 2...which ended up sucking.

Oulton is just too narrow for any good door to door racing. Same with Rapuana next week.

Flip what was your pit strategy in race 2? My thinking was I was going to spend a lot of time behind slower traffic to start the race so I started on mediums and went to the 30 minute mark and changed to softs for the last 15 minutes. Bad idea. My times were terrible and I couldn't get out of my own way.

But the two stop strategy in Race 1 was frustrating because I couldn't do the times I needed to catch Hazard because I was trapped behind lapped traffic half the time.

Just a frustrating night. If it were at a track like Nurb GP/F then that would not be an issue.

The combos being selected just aren't ideal for 16 drivers. The tracks should suit the car as well as accommodate racing...not hot lapping. I couldn't even get in a solid qualifying lap last night because I always ended up behind someone.
Same strategy as you for race 1, for R2 I did the same as you again but I started with enough fuel for the whole race (and ended with 15 litres left due to math being wrong) and changed into softs with 15' left.

I also thought a two stop would work because the softs let me go faster, but many laps were slower due to traffic so I changed for R2 due to starting in the back. But on lap 2 or 3 there was a pile up on T2 and about 5 cars were out if the way, so I could have used softs, but if I could predict the future, I would be daily driving Konnigseggs with my lottery and sports bets winnings...

I'm glad to hear you're not going away.

Who would be down for a full sim Formula style Group A series this winter?

Full tune
Interior view
No aids
200km
Every other week
6 races
Sunday morning race
Saturday evening Qually
Friday afternoon random track announcement (from short disclosed schedule)

Who would be down for a full sim Formula style Group A series this winter?

Full tune
Interior view
No aids
200km
Every other week
6 races
Sunday morning race
Saturday evening Qually
Friday afternoon random track announcement (from short disclosed schedule)
If it's after motorsport season is over, I'm in. Are we doing only Grade 1 tracks or anything goes? Nordschleife? Bathurst?

Full damage as well, right?
And is interior the same as cockpit?

Also, I just joined a F1 2016 league, if anyone wants in, there are two spots available, I believe one for Mercedes and Ferrari.

@JoeW
Send me a massage with;
- Car you're running
- Track event will take place
- How many laps
- Weather conditions
I'll tune it up for you. Why? Because I like you, because we've been running together for almost 6 years now, because I took time to learn and got a taste for it.

@JoeW
Send me a massage with;
- Car you're running
- Track event will take place
- How many laps
- Weather conditions
I'll tune it up for you. Why? Because I like you, because we've been running together for almost 6 years now, because I took time to learn and got a taste for it.
You know, one of the things I truly enjoy and admire about SNAIL is encapsulated in that message and in Birdy's attempt to get old wheels to other SNAILs that might need them.
@zer05ive and the old guard created something truly remarkable that continues to gather great people imbued with the same spirit.
It's really a good feeling to be a part of this (even if I'm not nearly as good a person).

Last edited:
If it's after motorsport season is over, I'm in. Are we doing only Grade 1 tracks or anything goes? Nordschleife? Bathurst?

Full damage as well, right?
And is interior the same as cockpit?

Also, I just joined a F1 2016 league, if anyone wants in, there are two spots available, I believe one for Mercedes and Ferrari.

Dec-Feb

I haven't looked into which tracks yet. I was thinking I'd pick 8 and each week pull one randomly. I think tracks that will offer good racing will make up most of the schedule, but one tighter track would give a bit of s different challenge. But not Monaco, don't worry. :)

I think any view that is inside the car can be used when it is restricted. Yes, full damage, mech failures, Partially random weather.

This all sounds great, but I know I'm the odd man out when I say I prefer shorter races. But for the sake of pure discussion, what is it about longer races that you all like so much? Just curious really. I want to set up a series of my own to be like Sunday SNAIL but with one combo for the night (to extend playability/variety). Would anyone even be interested since it's shorter races?

Dec-Feb

I haven't looked into which tracks yet. I was thinking I'd pick 8 and each week pull one randomly. I think tracks that will offer good racing will make up most of the schedule, but one tighter track would give a bit of s different challenge. But not Monaco, don't worry. :)

I think any view that is inside the car can be used when it is restricted. Yes, full damage, mech failures, Partially random weather.
Ok, I can work with that, especially with Monaco out. I love it, but it's simply not feasible to expect people to keep it clean there. Hell, even the professionals don't manage!

I'd be willing to help with testing, if you want company.
But, I'll leave it here: Bathurst is exceedingly fun with the Formula A car. Just sayin'...

This all sounds great, but I know I'm the odd man out when I say I prefer shorter races. But for the sake of pure discussion, what is it about longer races that you all like so much? Just curious really. I want to set up a series of my own to be like Sunday SNAIL but with one combo for the night (to extend playability/variety). Would anyone even be interested since it's shorter races?

For me, it's a different challenge, but it adds realism to the whole thing. You need concentration and most of all consistency for the whole race, not just a few laps, because if you screw up, your night is over, there aren't 5 other races to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

It also allows for strategy, for instance, you can push in the first stint to build a gap, or you can try to keep it clean and tidy and really push in the last 15' or so and make up ground on people that are now ragged and with bad tyres. You can start with a load of fuel or you can go fuel during the race and make up that time with faster laps. You can also have a bad start and still make up ground. You have to deal with traffic. The possibilities are endless. And that approximates our hobby to the real thing, which is always good.

Also, I like the immersion of going for an hour, 90', two hours, just driving and driving and driving, trying to test yourself and put your skill against the others for longer.

@Lessen , I was going to pm you about this, but thought others could benefit.

I was looking at the Assetto Corsa forum (bugs & glitches) and came across this fix for mapping your controller. I didn't know we could change button assignments in the console itself. Kind of a PIA to change controller settings back and forth for one game, but it could get you familiar with a game you otherwise wouldn't play.

http://www.howtogeek.com/245977/how-to-remap-buttons-on-your-playstation-4s-controller/

@Lessen , I was going to pm you about this, but thought others could benefit.

I was looking at the Assetto Corsa forum (bugs & glitches) and came across this fix for mapping your controller. I didn't know we could change button assignments in the console itself. Kind of a PIA to change controller settings back and forth for one game, but it could get you familiar with a game you otherwise wouldn't play.

http://www.howtogeek.com/245977/how-to-remap-buttons-on-your-playstation-4s-controller/

Nice find bro! I had no idea that feature even existed (as eluded to in the article). I may give this a shot a bit later.

*edit*

Oh phooey! Not enough flexibility for me...

"For Left stick and Right stick, you can only swap the sticks–for example, you could make the Left stick’s directional input function as the Right stick’s, and vice versa."

I map down on the right stick as my brake. According to this it won't let me do that as L2 is the brake in the game layout. Bummer. I appreciate the thought though. 👍👍

Back