【Poll】: FD, D1, or neither?

• Thread starter UeoKatsu
  • 33 comments

Between the two which big (highpowered) drift series do you like more?

• Formula Drift

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • D1 Grand

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Don't like either (I like different series : D1NZ, KOE, EDC, etc.)

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
@alpacaflip

I'm sure there's videos around with d1 chase drivers smashing into the lead, but the crash you've shown was caused by the lead driver (Suenaga) losing his gear, boggling down and losing drift. Whereas the crashes in the "bashing FD" video was caused by the chasers. They attempt to misrepresent FD's drivers as rammers and possibly suggest that they having poor chasing abilities.

---

I'm no expert but it could be said that the laidback/KDF atmosphere was adopted by TCdrift/Proam/ASB events and that FD ditched this so that they could focus on being the first in professionally "competitive" drifting and be featured on big networks like NBC.

Yea, d1 did feel way off at times, like in the battle between Suenaga and Saito which went sudden death 3 times, daigo lost drift in the last run, but had solid chase in the 1st and 2nd runs. There are quite a few of other high profile incidents like that, but I think the majority of other tandems were actually judged on the runs.

Regardless, I understand that the sole purpose of a competition is to bring out the best, no exceptions.

---

@MLRSparco

D1 has a e92 (2jz powered) :D, but beyond that vs D1, FD takes the prize for diversity of cars -

z3, mustang, camaros, miata (though, not a fan of its aesthetics), etc. Had Saito made the viper gts a reality and if it were street looking I think it would have been as iconic as all the other cars for FD. Granted I'm biased against the newer vipers.

@alpacaflip

I'm sure there's videos around with d1 chase drivers smashing into the lead, but the crash you've shown was caused by the lead driver (Suenaga) losing his gear, boggling down and losing drift. Whereas the crashes in the "bashing FD" video was caused by the chasers. They attempt to misrepresent FD's drivers as rammers and possibly suggest that they having poor chasing abilities.

---

I'm no expert but it could be said that the laidback/KDF atmosphere was adopted by TCdrift/Proam/ASB events and that FD ditched this so that they could focus on being the first in professionally "competitive" drifting and be featured on big networks like NBC.

Yea, d1 did feel way off at times, like in the battle between Suenaga and Saito which went sudden death 3 times, daigo lost drift in the last run, but had solid chase in the 1st and 2nd runs. There are quite a few of other high profile incidents like that, but I think the majority of other tandems were actually judged on the runs.

Regardless, I understand that the sole purpose of a competition is to bring out the best, no exceptions.

---

@MLRSparco

D1 has a e92 (2jz powered) :D, but beyond that vs D1, FD takes the prize for diversity of cars -

z3, mustang, camaros, miata (though, not a fan of its aesthetics), etc. Had Saito made the viper gts a reality and if it were street looking I think it would have been as iconic as all the other cars for FD. Granted I'm biased against the newer vipers.
Yea that car is a beast,Drift Allstars also has an epic E21

didn't know Saito was thinking about using the new viper,that would've been awesome.

@alpacaflip

---

---

@MLRSparco

I only see 1 fix in pride, no others. Though there was countless roid junkies in it.

Like any sport gone mainstream. They lose their authenticity which intrigued their supporters at first, with billion dollar sponsors and the main incentive of money. Everything changes and not necessarily for the better. I have always been a fan of the D1GP Series, however i think it has more of a FD Influence on it now days. Fair enough the sport is evolving into new horizons. But call me old school, because i prefer privateer competitions, where sponsorship is only for the driver to promote through their driving. Not so much Sponsorship of the competition itself.

It's for that exact reason i'm a large fan of Drift Muscle Championship. Bringing it back to the real KDF and not the American interpretation of it.

Basically, IN MY OPINION. Drifting as a sport has lost it's roots, and is transforming into something different. Much like the automotive culture specifically the JDM Scene. It started off as JDM in Japan for just Functional Form, spreads globally and the global tweaks influence the real Japanese JDM Scene. Ultimately creating a hybrid of the two styles creating the JDM We now know as today or so it is in Australia.

Todays JDM

osaka+jdm+maishima+077.jpg

A few years back
nissan_silvia_s13_06.gif

So basically. My point is, it's human nature to pick what we like and mix it with other stuff we like. Thus, drifting will keep evolving into new horizons whether we like it or not.

Hence why now days we have most Drift cars over 600hp and every driver is questioned if you don't have 40 degree lock or more.

Back in the day 250hp and a stripped out chassis sufficed.

Back