1.04 update - Physics changes - Your impressions?

Scotland
France
SillyBillyP
On the 1.04 LIVE thread, users are reporting changes to the physics (tyres, brakes, speed in run-off areas etc.)

I haven't yet tried out the 1.04 update for myself yet. I'd love to know what those who have tried it out think.

What are your impressions of the changes? Has car handling changed? How?

Only tried my favorite car and a stock nsx.
Seems grip and responsiveness and fun is back again!
The nsx was all understeer after last update, now it more turn in and the back comes out.

Since I love the grip from before and its back I will be pleased.
But I wish this patchroulette stopped now! If they cant fix one thing without crapping up the other good things in the game its better if they just let things be.
I really wonder if this is the way the game should be or if it was the other way?! Did the fix a problem now or did they mess it up again?
Whatever it was I wish they just stop fiddling now!

Well, I just noticed a change and I got really really pissed.
Now we can set ABS to 0 and your tires won't lock anymore, even using comfort tires.
You can full brake at 150km/h and probably even more and your tires will lock only when you reach about 60~~80 km/h.
I have tested only 2 cars until now.

The pre-1.04-update off-track speed was rather forgiving. I couldn't help noticing that fact yesterday evening as I drove utterly unhindered at 130 mph over the sand just to the left of Willow Springs' track. ;)

Have you ever even seen a car go 200 over a gravel trap? When going that fast it does not dig in, it just barley skims over the top.

But it should slow because of not perfect traction and after slowling, he should get trapped. The luck of the drivers it's of escaping before it happens. But in one of the top post, ppl complain about they can't go fast on the gravel, they liked more when it worked just like a concrete. Seriously, if this game wants to carry "The Real Driving Simulator" subtitle, it should actually simulate the basics, like this.

The pre-1.04-update off-track speed was rather forgiving. I couldn't help noticing that fact yesterday evening as I drove utterly unhindered at 130 mph over the sand just to the left of Willow Springs' track. ;)
Yeah, Willow Springs was a bit questionable. The sand pits however, slow you down way to much from high speed.

But it should slow because of not perfect traction and after slowling, he should get trapped. The luck of the drivers it's of escaping before it happens. But in one of the top post, ppl complain about they can't go fast on the gravel, they liked more when it worked just like a concrete. Seriously, if this game wants to carry "The Real Driving Simulator" subtitle, it should actually simulate the basics, like this.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I want it real, the speed at you accelerate from a stationary position was fine. The amount it slows you down from high speed (in 1.04) however, is not fine. It slowes you down to fast.

Edit: Double post, sorry.

Now we can set ABS to 0 and your tires won't lock anymore, even using comfort tires.
You can full brake at 150km/h and probably even more and your tires will lock only when you reach about 60~~80 km/h.

This depends entirely on your brake balance. From a few quick tests, I found brake balance works in all modes now. When testing a car in free run, it had *exactly* the same brake behaviour it had in career mode. Including lock up.

This depends entirely on your brake balance. From a few quick tests, I found brake balance works in all modes now. When testing a car in free run, it had *exactly* the same brake behaviour it had in career mode. Including lock up.
True, I just set the front brakes to 10 and it feels all good now. I might be mistaken, but I'm almost sure they have really changend how the brake works, it's the first time I need to change the brakes balance.

Something is wrong when I can sail around Bathurst Seasonal TT in Vision MB with 0 ABS...
...BB stuck at 5/5, no other aids whatsoever, and turn a 2:04:5xx, with no tire lock.

Last edited:
Is FFB any better because I won't play it if its still ****. Its the main reason why I hated the last patch and didn't play gt6 much in the meantime. I like the sound of the braking model changes though.

True, I just set the front brakes to 10 and it feels all good now. I might be mistaken, but I'm almost sure they have really changend how the brake works, it's the first time I need to change the brakes balance.

Brake balance was broken before; in free run and time trial modes, all cars effectively had a setting of 10/10, regardless of what it said in the settings. Now this is fixed.

Actually the speed on off-track it's more accurate now than before, the car should silt or grabble, most in sand and gravel out of the track. You can't fly at 200 km/h on that surface...

Actually, you can.

In fact, at high speed, you will skip right over the top of it, with no grip to speak of. Just like a stone over the water.

It is precisely for this reason that many modern tracks, and updated courses, have got to large asphalt run off areas. As the rubber compounds of modern tires are better capable of slowing the car down from speed, even in a slide, than gravel. If you look at circuits like Paul Ricard, they take it a step further, and put a high traction paint (feels like sand paper) onto the tarmac run offs to aid in slowing the car down.

Gravel is still the preferred method for medium speed corners, but it must be plowed into ridges ^^^^^^^^ so that as the car enters it in has something to dig into. If it was simply flat the car would skip across it easily even at low speed. There are also some gravel traps which use a larger aggregate stone to help the car sink down into it more. But the problem with that is the amount of pickup is much higher. And the debris much more dangerous as a result.

General rule of thumb when you hit a gravel trap is to continue to keep the car rolling without giving it too much throttle and digging the wheels in.

That is the issue though, at 200k, he wouldn't slow down. He would skip, uncontrollably, across the top of the gravel, until he hit the wall behind it. Almost any accident with a gravel trap involved ends this way. It is VERY rare that you see a car actually get stopped by the gravel trap.

Actually the speed on off-track it's more accurate now than before, the car should silt or grabble, most in sand and gravel out of the track. You can't fly at 200 km/h on that surface...

No, you'd think so but that isn't how it works.

The mu acting upon the car comes mostly from the tarmac. Once the sticky tyres are released from the tarmac there's a surge of that retarded energy. Cars in departure can actually receive an accelarative boost of several % at this point.

Flat-floored formula-type cars (such as Touring and Grand Touring cars, or open wheel racers) also have a propensity to become airborne more easily than traditionally-bodied cars and will fly over gravel very easily - downforce only gives you maximum potential within a very narrow angle of attack.

With all these things considered together it's far preferable to have tarmac runoff areas that retard departing cars as fully as the official track area does.

Where you are correct is that once the vehicle slows the retardant potential of the gravel trap becomes much higher. I think GT simulates that quite well, it's a shame they've had to artifically force the TCS on in gravel traps but presumably there's no traction at all without. Personally I think if you beach it, you beach it :D

I haven't been in the sand yet on 1.04 but I know in 1.02 I went off track in an RX7 race car at about 180mph got side ways in the grass then shot across the track trying to correct then down the other side in the grass side ways. I hit the sand at about 170mph sideways at the end of the downhill straight on bathurst and shot all the way across the sand and hit the wall hard, the sand did not even slow the car down there where IRL it would have dug in hard and possibly even flipped the car over.

Physics has reverted to something like in 1.02. I like it much better than 1.03 physics. Cars are now much more responsive.

Race driver here... It's actually incredibly hard to lock up the brakes on a race car at speed... One wheel might lock briefly as your weight transfers while slowing.

The problem in real racing is if you miss a braking point and the car doesn't slow down enough eventually leading to a lock up as the slow... This is called over cooking, as you are heating the tires from rapid deceleration to a point they lock up a bit earlier than planned...

I've not tested this in GT as I don't have a heavy braking foot but it might be a bit more realistic.

Even my Miata race car requires huge amounts of force at the initial braking point, much more than you might imagine... I can literally 'stand' on the breaks, lifting my butt off the seat... It's where the term standing on the brakes comes from, race driving.

FYI: a race driver brakes the opposite of a daily driver... On the road we gradually apply more pressure until the car slows at the rate we want it to. A race driver slams the brake and slowly releases pressure as the car slows. Its a balancing act... I think it was Sterling Moss who said he won all his races from braking?

Last edited:
Back