1.04 update - Physics changes - Your impressions?

Sand traps... They are called traps for a reason and were much more effective in the days of old.

The whole point was that the car would dig in and bury isn't self in the soft sand.

Much less effective in today's cars that only have 1-2 inches to the flat floor... But still effective at an angle.

The leading reason sand traps are going away is to reduce yellow flags. A car stuck in the trap is an instant yellow so it can get towed out. Not good for spectators. It has nothing to do with cars.

But some track designs still have to have them due to no other acceptable means to decelerate the car in a corner with no run off that can't be extended.

Laguna Seca turn two is a perfect example. They extended the track by 20 feet in recent years but kept the sand... As there was virtually no run off and that turn was tight and narrow, forcing the over ambitious to retreat to the sand... Yellow flags every other lap...

I have been working on the BMW Z4 GT3 '11 for the last few days on the ring. I first set it up the way you would in real life to reduce the understeer by making the front softer than the rear. This had in fact had the stupid reverse effect know to happen on some cars in GT6. Afterthe update 2 thing have changed.
  1. The cars reversed suspension is now junk and is working with the proper real life setting. IE softer front more oversteer.
  2. Not sure if this is true on all races will test out later but on the IA 15 Minute race(the ring) if you get the "bonus lap in IE starting a third lap before the 15 minutes is up the tires have 🤬 for grip. Its like they go totally cold. My 3rd lap was closer to my first lap and a lot slower than my second lap.
So in conclusion I will say at least for this car the physics have changed. I also have never noticed the tires go to default cold on the bonus lap glitch.

Brake balance was broken before; in free run and time trial modes, all cars effectively had a setting of 10/10, regardless of what it said in the settings. Now this is fixed.
I'm not sure if it's better now, at least on real cars I have driven which have no ABS if I push hard the brakes, even at low speeds like 60km/h the front tires instantly lock.
It used to be the same in GT, unfortunately they changed it.

I'm not sure if it's better now, at least on real cars I have driven which have no ABS if I push hard the brakes, even at low speeds like 60km/h the front tires instantly lock.
Try Aston One-77 on SH, its brakes lock up in 1.03 very easily, now it's little harder, but still they lock up very easy

That depends very much on the specific car. There is no rule that says all cars have the same brake pressure to lock up, they are all different. Not to mention different tires, too. You cannot say how a car should brake in the game without having driven the exact same car in real life.

The Super License with the Bugatti is a lot more difficult. The car spins loads on launch and out of a few corners.
I can see my friends launches being much quicker (did it before update).
Yesterday it was fine.

That depends very much on the specific car. There is no rule that says all cars have the same brake pressure to lock up, they are all different. Not to mention different tires, too. You cannot say how a car should brake in the game without having driven the exact same car in real life.
oh well...

All this talk of off track speed not being realistic is nonsense. The point is to stay on track. I agree with the others who say the sand traps are for slowing the car down to avoid contact with walls or barriers which in real life the idea would be to save the car. That is precisely why they are in place to begin with. How many times have you seen F1 cars stuck in the sand and have to get cherry picked out or road race car flip because they dug in sideways into the sand pit? I'm sure there are exceptions such as lmp cars with flat bottoms, but their reactions to a sand pit is not the rule.

road race car flip because they dug in sideways into the sand pit?

I've always been disappointed that this isn't really reflected in any game or simulator. I guess it's difficult to put it in place without having cars flip over way more often than they should.

Has the off-track physics been tested with Grip Reduction on Real? Most places in the game are of course automatically set to Low so maybe there will be a more desired effect when it's on the Real setting.

I agree at 60kph which is nearly 40mph i to could get my real car brakes to lock up with ease, in gt5 i always adjusted brake balance so i could get my wheels to start locking at around 60-70mph mark, i couldnt do this in 1.03 but in 1.04 i was driving the ruf btr cs tyres and standard bias would make it lock at those speeds in a straight line.

The reason i want the car to lock up at those speeds is because i remember doing a test in my real road car, was a ae86, i travelled@110mph then slammed on the brakes as hard as i could and the offside wheel locked up first then the drivers side and that was@around 70mph, this was with mintex fast road pads and goodyear f1 eagles. i have been driving non abs cars over for 20 years, all cars stock except ae86 which had some thicker bilstein shocks and 30mm progressive lowering springs which were on the softer side (im pretty sure i did the brake test when the car was stock),also the newest car i owned was built in 1988

Though i dont drive much now and im no race car driver i can say what lawndart says is correct, in all that time i hardly ever locked up the wheels, even when braking hard and turning the wheels didnt lock, i think gt6 has is a bit excessive here because it seems to lock too quick once you start turning, still have not messed with bias settings so maybe i can sort that.

I never used to worry about lock up in the dry but in the wet its a different story and definitely a worry, in winter ice snow conditions or when driving on a rainbow coloured road ie petrol its a guaranteed lock up when you touch the brakes so engine braking is a must

Is FFB any better because I won't play it if its still ****. Its the main reason why I hated the last patch and didn't play gt6 much in the meantime. I like the sound of the braking model changes though.
FFB or overall game feels fluffy, too soft, car feels like spongebob with wheels.. tested on F40 online, full stock, fast tyre wear.
Same lobby settings and same car day before update feels sharper and more like car, now it feels spongebob.

Putting GT6 to sleep, wathing only for new updates, and when PD decides to stop playing around with game and starts just fixing errors and keeping cars STABLE, so you can start to "learn" cars, now you got as many different variants of same STOCK car as you have updates(or nijaupdates).. Getting tired of this, just lock settings to somewhere and let them be there or make user configurable realism levers to game/online where you can switch "easy MR cars" or "sudden death tires" etc..

Please say it isn't so!

False alarm. Chassis needed fixing. The car is just a beautiful as before. :bowdown:

They've completely fixed the bug in timed racers now.

I stayed in 1st place all through the 3rd lap of the 15 minutes of Nurburgring and the cars that didn't make the timer cut off were shown at the bottom of the results screen immediately it was shown. :cool:

Seems all fine to me. I was tuning my Huayra last night around ascari. On 1.04, the times were +/1 0.1 second.

Camber is definitely working. You can feel it in the corners.

Last edited:
I tried 1.04 at last. Used the same Ford GT40 at Willow Springs on CS that I used last night (pre-1.04) at Willow. There's a huge difference with off-track slow down - you really slow down a lot, and suddenly. Seems more realistic, for sure. (And I came off the track quite a few times :) )

I can't say I noticed any difference in the car's handling on track though: It was a great car to drive pre-1.04 and it's still great to drive.

As for a change with the brakes, I don't know.

Really hate the new off track setup...I understand a trap slowing you down, but grass or regular dirt? There is no reason why my evoke can't go above 24 mph at willow springs...

I was actually hoping they would turn off the forced TCS when you're offtrack. Looks like they went the opposite way.

Sand traps or off track areas are terrible. They might as well put an invisible wall at the edges of the track. No more off-roading at Willow Springs with my lifted Ram with super soft suspension :grumpy:

I liked off roading at willow is was great but now it's is hopeless (it was my most used track). I wish they had left it alone in off line mode (its not cheating anyone but me). On le mans track it makes the sand traps actually easier to skip over down the main straight.

May be gt was better when they had to get things nearly right before launching rather than this ever changing physics of the endless updates.

Paul

pb5
I liked off roading at willow is was great but now it's is hopeless (it was my most used track). I wish they had left it alone in off line mode (its not cheating anyone but me). On le mans track it makes the sand traps actually easier to skip over down the main straight.

May be gt was better when they had to get things nearly right before launching rather than this ever changing physics of the endless updates.

Paul

Off-roading/straying off-track at Willow, having been on location...
...is very hazardous to tires, suspension, and sometimes driver's health.
Its not smooth like GT6, its sand and lots and lots of rocks.
See link in my signature for what happened to a Mustang that went off road between T8 & T9.

Oh god people, who cares about the off road handling? I want to know about the physics, like the camber bug and the MR cars etc... Don't go off track, simple, I'm personally sick of seeing people go off track online and hitting a wall, getting back on the track, without losing a second off their time.

Off-roading at Willow, having been on location...
...is very hazardous to tires, suspension, and sometimes driver's health.
Its not smooth like GT6, its sand and lots and lots of rocks.
See link in my signature for what happened to a Mustang that went off road between T8 & T9.
Oh good Ol' Willow, I've had a few offs there too, but one in particular that taught me quite a bit about the WS infields was on a bike during a WSMC sportbike race (many many years ago)... I lowsided entering T5 and ate *** hard, slid about 20-30 yards into the infield... My organs were like scrambled eggs when I came to a stop... and keeping the bike front running over me the whole slide was what I remember the most...

Oh, the good old days... I actually placed 3 before failing tech for bent forks and sub frame... Later the chiropractor told me my spine was twisted and this was making me loose grip strength meaning I no longer met regulation health standards until I healed... Funny thing is he gave me the report, I just never turned it in, and kept on racing...

Sorry sorry, WAY off topic... My fellow car racers don't like to hear my old bike racing stories. Bikers turned car racers are a much different breed of driver than pure car racers...

pb5

Paul
Yeah, too bad there's no offroad now... PD should allow host to chose off-track physics, like they did with "handling on wet track", so we can chose how we want to race. For example in serious racing leagues host can chose to when you go off track, it will slow you down. If you want to have fun on Willow Springs you're turning it off and doing crazy stunt-jumps all over the track :D Also turning off body degradation would be appreciated feature too

Oh good Ol' Willow, I've had a few offs there too, but one in particular that taught me quite a bit about the WS infields was on a bike during a WSMC sportbike race (many many years ago)... I lowsided entering T5 and ate *** hard, slid about 20-30 yards into the infield... My organs were like scrambled eggs when I came to a stop... and keeping the bike front running over me the whole slide was what I remember the most...

Oh, the good old days... I actually placed 3 before failing tech for bent forks and sub frame... Later the chiropractor told me my spine was twisted and this was making me loose grip strength meaning I no longer met regulation health standards until I healed... Funny thing is he gave me the report, I just never turned it in, and kept on racing...

Sorry sorry, WAY off topic... My fellow car racers don't like to hear my old bike racing stories. Bikers turned car racers are a much different breed of driver than pure car racers...

Yes, So-Cal. dirt is generally much harder pack and rock-strewn than the dark loamy stuff you guys have up north.

I do get that high-side deja-vu feeling occasionally when X-Bow gets twitchy though. :D

Last edited:
I race on all the tracks up here too; Thunderhill is lots of grass and about the most mistake friendly track, Infineon (please bring back to GT) you're likely to hit a wall before realizing there was a few feet of grass... And Laguna Seca is too slow... With only 1 dangerous turn (T9).

I like the new backround engine sound (although its maybe not the most realistic) it feels more immersive. Does anybody know if 0 0 camber is still ideal on all cars (along with max ride height on many cars) or is it still the same?

I feel like Camber is still not working? Still seem easier to drive without adding any camber and laptime seems to be reflecting this.

Haha, reading some comments on this thread, you realise its impossible to make everyone happy, it seems.

For me I dont care much about the phyisics changes.
The point is that YOU as a driver have to adapt to the game+car+track+power+everything all the time, and not the other way round

Anyone played with camber at all since 1.04?

Ive done some testing, but I'm no where near certain of what's happened with it.

I had a Lotus Esprit tuned to my liking with 0 camber all around. After the update it was much more twitchy in a straight line, under braking, and off throttle. I did add some camber (still less than a degree all around), adjust brake bias, and LSD decel (slightly) to dial it back in. I think it actually feels better now than before the update. More stable.

Also as a side note my slightly understeering miata is much more neutral now with no changes to tuning. It actually, you know, turns in when I steer into the corner.

I feel like Camber is still not working? Still seem easier to drive without adding any camber and laptime seems to be reflecting this.
Still not fixed. I've been testing, and added camber still results in slower laps times (on curvy/technical circuits).

Back