1/3 of X360s fail supposedly....

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 175 comments
I guess the thing to ask would be how many people clean there 360's, how many have them plugged into a surge protector, etc.

I took care of my X360 since I had it back in March 2006. Many people have also had theirs longer which means to have died after 1 year, it had to have been taken care of enough for it to last such an amount of time.

Of course, are you just going to say me, or anyone else with 1+ year old X360s didn't take enough care?

Tell me, how long have you had your X360?

A little over a year, I got it in May of 2006. I have mine in a surge protector, I used canned air to clean the vents, and I keep it off the carpet. I also use a lens cleaner every few months to clean the grim out of the inside.

A little over a year, I got it in May of 2006. I have mine in a surge protector, I used canned air to clean the vents, and I keep it off the carpet. I also use a lens cleaner every few months to clean the grim out of the inside.

So then, who will you blame should it die before it hits 2 years old?

Because the fact that only a rare number of these consoles have still survived from 2005 is unbelieveable. Yes, there's a problem with some owner faults, but there's also a problem with Microsoft. I don't know if they're cutting corners or what due to losing money on these consoles, but this is just unacceptable. A gaming console should be lasting more than a year and a half to 2 years.

I will probably blame myself since it's mine and I should take responsibility if something I own breaks. I don't like playing the blame game.

Yes there is a problem with the consoles, but I still say many problems stem from poor upkeep on them...although Microsoft should have made the console more idiot proof if you ask me. The amount of care I give it is more then any other electronic device I own.

Are you sure, you post is confusing and that last comment contradicts the implication in this one massivley. So your saying that you think the 360 is just as reliable as other consoles now.
Yet here you imply that the 360 is a lot worse than the PS2 for reliability :confused:.

I have edited my post

I don't even bother with a surge protector on my pc, for an xbox that just kinda seems like overkill to me. I can't see electrical surges being a major factor in bricking 360's realy. I did hear that they did revise the design of the heatsink recently, so tbh that sounds like the initial design wasnt that great at getting rid of hot air.

I think it might just be my area, we get a lot of power interruptions because our electric company sucks and there is more demand then supply. I have every electric device that cost over $100 surge protected.

And I agree the heat sink probably wasn't very good on the earlier gens. I haven't look inside a 360 so I don't know.

"Y'know, things break."

Just to add some insult to injury.

Yes I agree there is a high rate of problems with it, but also I really do think 360 owners treat there systems worse then any other system owners. I don't know why but everyone I've seen with a 360 has beat it to hell while people who own a PS3 do not. I think maybe it comes with the price, granted $400 is a lot of money but $600 is a lot more and people might be treating that with kid gloves.

Also I think there are more 360's out there then PS3's, if thats the case then we can expect more failures.

Honestly, I don't think we should have to treat a game system like a piece of fine china because it's very unreliable. I shouldn't have to use surge protectors, dust it daily, etc for it to work. It should just work for the next half-decade, period. Yeah, some people treat their 360s like crap, and that could set off the spark, but what about the people who treat their 360s like any other game system, whether it's the PS2, PS3, Wii, whatever, and have gone through multiple systems? That's not the owner's fault. That's MS' fault.

G.T
CThe PS3, I've not known anyone to have any serious issues that make the console unusable. Considering people do tend to mention the things they own have gone wrong rather than they work, this is quite an achievement. Nothing fanboy-ish here.

Yeah well consoles can't break if no one uses it. :dopey:

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, my opinion? I'd go with a failure rate of at least 25% for each 360 made. If we're talking about individual people who has had a 360 break down, I would not be surprised at all if it was in the 40% range, maybe even higher.

My experience? I bought a 360 back in April. A few months later, around early August it started scratching discs. I returned it to Costco, got a new 360, and it's been perfect ever since. Yeah, NFS Carbon still froze on me, but that's about as relevant as Motorstorm corrupting its game save and Warhawk freezing like a gopher on my PS3.

I will probably blame myself since it's mine and I should take responsibility if something I own breaks. I don't like playing the blame game.
Are you honestly saying that having treated your 360 with the utmost care that if it failed in warranty (or even just out of it) you would accept total responsibility for that failure?

If so may I on behalf of the entire motor industry (as that's the industry I work in) say that we would love all customers to be exactly like you, please buy as many cars as you humanly can.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy this at all, if your 360 dies you will do exactly what any sensible consumer would do and that claim under warranty.

Yes there is a problem with the consoles, but I still say many problems stem from poor upkeep on them...although Microsoft should have made the console more idiot proof if you ask me. The amount of care I give it is more then any other electronic device I own.
I just don't see how you can claim that the higher 360 fall-out rate is because 360 owners are a generally slovenly bunch who don't look after the machines, for one its a gross generalisation with little or no actual proof to back it up (other than some people you know).

In regard to comments regarding a higher level of complaint in the UK/Europe in regard to problems, that may be due to how MS in Europe handled the situation more than anything else...

The Xbox 360’s build quality came under further scrutiny last night, as the UK consumer rights TV programme Watchdog acted on the complaints of some 250 customers who’ve had to pay around £85 to have their faulty Xbox 360s fixed.

While horror stories regarding the build quality and reliability of the Xbox 360 have been widespread since the Xbox 360 launch (which we’re only too aware of, thanks to our debug unit recently dying for a second time), it’s never been of financial concern to customers who have previously been given free replacements of faulty machines.

However, now that launch consoles are out of warranty, Microsoft is reportedly charging around £85 a time for repairs or replacements, which considering the widespread issues Microsoft has had previously, seems a bit off. Especially when you consider that in the US Microsoft pledged to replace for free any units manufactured before January 2006.

This obviously got the attention of Watchdog, who after receiving over 250 complaints has decided that Microsoft probably shouldn’t be charging for repairs when the undeniable truth is that no matter how well treated, some of those early consoles just break down.

Watchdog commented: “The Xbox 360 was a global phenomenon when it was launched in the UK in December 2005. The world’s richest man and Microsoft boss Bill Gates called it the Ferrari of home entertainment. But we’ve had nearly 250 complaints from people who think it's more of a clapped-out old banger.

“Worse still, you’ve been telling us that some of the problems with your faulty Xbox 360 consoles occur when the one-year warranty has run out. That means you have to fork out to get it fixed.”

Watchdog then proceeded to wheel out some of the afflicted customers, paying special attention to the one customer who even had his replacement unit fail him…

“Alex Ainsow had no problems for a year,” Began Watchdog. “But, just after the warranty ran out, his Xbox 360 wouldn't stop crashing. He had to pay £85 for the repair. His second Xbox 360 lasted three days before it got the ‘three red lights’ – a hardware failure known in the gaming community as the ‘ring of death’. Once you see them, the box can't be fixed.”

Microsoft remained bullish however, refusing to appear on the show and insisting that there is no systematic fault with the console and that each case is unique. Which to be frank, amazes us considering the sheer volume of topics and complaints we’ve been witnessing across internet forums for the last year.

“It’s important to note that there is no systemic issue with Xbox 360,” said Microsoft in its official release. “Each incident is unique and these customer inquiries are being handled on a case-by-case basis.”

Microsoft also mentioned that the return rate for the Xbox 360 is “significantly lower” than the CE industry average of between 3 and 5 per cent. Although, we’d be keen to see Microsoft say the same about the return rate of consoles manufactured before January 2006…

That said, Microsoft was also keen to point out that the warranty it does offer is over and above what it is legally obliged, commenting: “Microsoft voluntarily provides customers with a one year manufacturer’s warranty in the UK which operates over and above the legally required retailer warranty for all consumer goods.”

Although that’s probably little comfort to anyone who’s had their launch machine break down in its 13 month.

And people say that 13 is an unlucky number…

So, how about you readers? Did you see the episode of Watchdog of which we speak? And if so what did you make of it? More to the point though, what do you make of Microsoft’s response? Let us know in the comments section below.
Source - http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=302

...quite interesting to hear MS totally deny any known systematic problem with the 360, despite the sheer volume of problems people have posted all over the web, etc.

Regards

Scaff

Again... I don't know how I avoided all these problems and still have my original but I thank god I got the warranty for it. I don't usually get the warranty for ANYTHING. :knock on wood:

The 360 is very unreliable.

I'm on my second, my friend is on HIS second, my cousin has had 3, Ebiggs is on his 4th. As is G.T

Does this tell you nothing?

I had my PS2 for 4 years. Running GT4 non-stop. It recently crapped out. The drive was damn near unusable. BUT, It hasn't exactly been pampered.

360= French car

PS2 = Japanese Car

I've never heard of a Nintendo system dying though.... My gamecube is 7 years old already.... Oh, also my NES still works.

...quite interesting to hear MS totally deny any known systematic problem with the 360, despite the sheer volume of problems people have posted all over the web, etc.

Regards

Scaff

I almost died laughing when Alex (the agent now assigned to all of my X360 cases at Microsoft (not Xbox Support!)) said that she will try to make sure I get a newer console instead of a launch console, because "everybody knows that those aren't any good...".

:lol:

Edit: James (G.T. around here) is also on his fourth.^^

These percentages could well be true. The "Ring of Death" is a serious problem now, just as the scratches on the disks right in the beginning. People might also send their consoles back because of the unbeaten crash rate of the system. Here in The Netherlands the 360's lack of reliability already made it to tv, unique for a console from my experience. That's not good...

It sure helps if you take care well of your system, but MS just was too hasty with releasing the 360 imo.

My problem was it scratched the hell out of my PGR3 disc as well as my Full Auto disc.

As for Xbox 360 owners not treating their's right, that's a bit of bull. Sure, some don't, but I'm pretty sure people would trying to take the best care of their X360s after 1 or 2 replacements.

My 360 was treated very well and with care, as I'm sure most of the adult owners' systems also. Microsoft won't acknowledge that they made a mistake by not fully testing the system before release. Sony made that mistake with the PS1 and PS2--and what's boggling my mind is Microsoft went through this same **** when the first XBOX was released. Bad form Microsoft.

Microsoft's Xbotch
By Seth Jayson of the Financial Investment Site, MotleyFool published on June 7, 2007

The Web at home
You don't have to go far on "the Internets" to find angry consumers complaining about their Xbox 360s. No, the complaints aren't the usual ones about Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT). They're not about clunky interface, lack of design leadership, or unimaginative features.

They're mostly about the hardware. It sounds like too many Xbox 360s have suffered problems, from post-update "bricking" to scratched discs to the dreaded "red ring of death," the symptoms of which include a dead console and a variety of red LEDs around the power button. I'm always careful not to draw too many conclusions from limited samples. As an investor, I realize how easy it is to be fooled by randomness. Be that as it may, Microsoft's holiday-season move to lengthen the warranty seems to me to be a good indication that there's more trouble than Mr. Softy wants to admit.

Unfortunately, I may be fooled by randomness now too, because I'm a victim of Microsoft's Xbotch myself.

Strike one
I got my first Xbotch in December of 2006. The machine showed great potential, but it had one minor, teensy flaw: The DVD drive-bay door would not open. Well, that's not quite true. A bit of experimentation and observation allowed me to identify a couple of conditions under which the drive would open. It would open when placed horizontally -- something I had no room to do. It would also open in the preferred, vertical position, but only after the machine had run for 15-20 minutes and gotten hot.

The first Xbotch went back to Best Buy (Nasdaq: BBY) within a week, and it was smooth sailing with Xbotch No. 2 -- for awhile, at least.

Strike two
After a couple of months, the handy wireless-networking adapter began to drop connectivity occasionally, maybe once every two weeks. Then it became more frequent. The problem accelerated until it could no longer hold signal for more than a few seconds. Lengthy conversations with a polite but skeptical and harried offshore customer service representative didn't go well. It must be a weak signal. (The laptop 12 inches away holds signal with no problem.) It must be my ISP. (Negative.) It must be my router. (Nope, it's not only on the Xbotch.com compatible list, I installed retrograde firmware to match the firmware listed as supported on the same site.)

After a long struggle to hear my heavily accented agent who had to shout over a roomful of barking colleagues, I finally convinced them that the problem was indeed the wireless adapter, and they agreed to replace or repair it if I sent it in. I dutifully shelled out $5 to send Microsoft its faulty product and settled in to wait.

Strike three
A few days later, the Xbotch console No. 2 gasped its last breath under the none-too-heavy strain of a family member's brief check-in with a garden in Viva Pinata. I was treated not only to a spooky "E 74" error screen, but I also got the famous red ring of death. More phone calls to a more understandable, and more sympathetic, Xbotch representative led to a diagnosis of DOA, and I'm still waiting for the postage-paid packing materials that will whisk my Xbotch to Texas for whatever magic is in store.

Strikes 4, 5, 6 ...
This might not be nearly so annoying if not for the fact that the two Zune players at my household have also been plagued by persistent hardware and software failures, including the dreaded "skip bug" and a set of bum earbuds that required more than two hours of phone time with customer service before someone finally did the logical thing and sent me a new pair.

From living room to portfolio
As an investor, I can't help but worry that my experience with Microsoft consumer products is not out of the ordinary. Not only are repairs an expensive waste of shareholder capital, but they risk alienating potential customers and crimping future growth. In effect, it doesn't matter if the rate of Xbotch failure is as low as Microsoft reportedly contends, because the perceived rate of failure is what matters to consumers. People trust what they hear. And if they hear enough from irate Xbotch or Zune customers, they aren't going to open up the wallet.

This is vitally important as Microsoft tries to step into the living room and take over. Personally, I don't believe Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ), or any of the computer makers have a chance against a working Xbox Live ecosystem. The online offerings, still slim, are nevertheless very good. The streaming music and photos, DVD, and HD DVD capabilities also blow Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) TV product out of the water, as do the real, high-definition downloads. And, of course, when the Xbotch isn't cooking its own innards, the gaming is first-rate.

The worst thing about Microsoft's Xbotch is that it throws the quality of the working product into sharp relief. We miss being able to stream music from the upstairs PCs, to look at our photographs on our wide-screen TV, to be able to download an HD movie when Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX) is late with the discs. (By the way, if anyone should pay through the nose for Netflix, it should be Microsoft. Yesterday.)

Sans botch, the Xbox 360 is a very good home media hub and deserves a build quality that matches the feature set. Microsoft can win the living room, but it needs to pay attention to the fundamentals.

At the time of publication, Seth Jayson had shares of Microsoft but no positions in any other company mentioned. After dealing with so many hours of crummy Microsoft consumer hardware, he'd love a chance to frag Bill Gates and Xbox Czar Jay Allard on Xbox Live. But first, they need to deliver a working product. See his latest blog commentary here. View his stock holdings and Fool profile here. Microsoft and Dell are Motley Fool Inside Value recommendations. Netflix is a Stock Advisor pick. Fool rules are here.

My problem was it scratched the hell out of my PGR3 disc as well as my Full Auto disc.

My first 360 destroyed Madden 07, NFS:C ( That game sucked anyway ), and partially mangled TD:U.

My 360 was treated very well and with care, as I'm sure most of the adult owners' systems also. Microsoft won't acknowledge that they made a mistake by not fully testing the system before release. Sony made that mistake with the PS1 and PS2--and what's boggling my mind is Microsoft went through this same **** when the first XBOX was released. Bad form Microsoft.

My first Xbox lasted 3 years before selling it. No problems whatso ever. Also, my power cord never caught fire.

DWA
Again... I don't know how I avoided all these problems and still have my original but I thank god I got the warranty for it. I don't usually get the warranty for ANYTHING. :knock on wood:

Didn't you get it just a couple months ago? If so, then you're not at the breaking point yet. Most X360s that have crapped out will usually run for over 6 months before the dreaded hardware lights come on.

Now, from what I've read, it's 90% of the time caused by the solder (sp?) joint breaking and losing connection within the X360. So really Joey, no matter how well you pamper it, if that joint cracks, it's not your fault. It's MS' because they did not produce a full-proof or near full-proof way from keeping the joint together after 6-12 months of use. Nobody should be on a 4th console after 3 years on the market.

DWA
I've had it for 7 mo. now... back during dec. is when I got it.

Ah ok. I thought you had recently gotten it. Well, you haven't had the Xbox 360 experience yet until you get those pesky little red lights as the term goes now.

Joey D
I know Duck has already covered this, but I need confirmation:
Are you saying that it is the owners duty to work around and protect the 360 hardware against its flaws? Is that why Sony lost that lawsuit over DRE laden PS2s?

Yes I agree there is a high rate of problems with it, but also I really do think 360 owners treat there systems worse then any other system owners. I don't know why but everyone I've seen with a 360 has beat it to hell while people who own a PS3 do not.
I will bring Nintendo into the mix:
Fact: There are nearly as many Wiis as 360s.
Fact: The number of Wiis failing (despite still being first revision hardware) is far, far less than the number of 360s failing.
And:

Joey D
I think maybe it comes with the price, granted $400 is a lot of money but $600 is a lot more and people might be treating that with kid gloves.
Fact: The Brand Spanking new, totally "redesigned" Elite 360s, which cost considerably more, are also failing.
Fact: All the above happens in difference to the 360 despite the Wii costing far, far less than the 360.
So the "kid gloves" theory doesn't apply.
Now, I'm sure you will counter with "The Wii is less advanced/powerful than the 360." However...
Fact: The PS3 is not, but it is also still first/second revision and also has a far lower rate of failures.

Umm... does the Wii get anywhere close to as hot as a 360? Although the PS3 gets just as hot or hotter and I've not heard of a problem related to it on a PS3 like I have on a 360. :dopey:

DWA
Umm... does the Wii get anywhere close to as hot as a 360?
That's not the point. Joey said that that a major reason of 360s failing was because of people treating them poorly because they are a low cost object, comparitively. The Wii is an even lower cost object, yet there are comparitively very little major failures.

Well ok that's fine but I'm asking because I do want to know. I also do want it to be purely that it's because of M$ and not anything else.

It's really unacceptable that MANY people are going though 3-4 and M$ doesn't acknowledge it or care period.

I know Duck has already covered this, but I need confirmation:
Are you saying that it is the owners duty to work around and protect the 360 hardware against its flaws? Is that why Sony lost that lawsuit over DRE laden PS2s?

I believe so yes, you need to take responsibility for the care of your equipment. I don't abuse anything, if anything I try and baby it because it makes things last longer. A think I've learned from archaeology..."take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you".

I believe so yes, you need to take responsibility for the care of your equipment. I don't abuse anything, if anything I try and baby it because it makes things last longer.
So when it overheats and it is obviously not your fault, because you have been taking care of it so much, what then? Do you blame yourself despite it not being your fault?
Remember, too, that Sony lost a lawuit over a very similar fiasco, so legal precedent disagrees with you.

So when it overheats and it is obviously not your fault, because you have been taking care of it so much, what then? Do you blame yourself despite it not being your fault?
Remember, too, that Sony lost a lawuit over a very similar fiasco, so legal precedent disagrees with you.

I think most stuff can be prevented, I mean unless it's a massive internal hardware failure I'm going to guess it's my fault. If it overheats obliviously I've either not kept it ventilated properly or I've been playing it to long. I know you guys are going to say they are meant to be played but everything has limits. I only play the 360 for maybe 5-8 hours a week.

If it overheats obliviously I've either not kept it ventilated properly
Which is either the fault of the heat sink or the concave design, and probably not the user.
Joey D
I know you guys are going to say they are meant to be played but everything has limits. I only play the 360 for maybe 5-8 hours a week.
I once had my PS2 on for over a week straight, running GT4 B-Spec (start a race before I went to bed, start a race before I went to school, and start a race when I got home). And something you should know about the circumstances at the time: I had kept my PS2 in a wooden lock box facing out the open doorway, all encased within an entertainment center (I thought it looked cool) with a closed glass door. I once measured how hot it got in the box after an hour of playtime to see whether I should take it out of the box when playing it (this was afterwards), and it was 87.2 degrees. But the PS2 never, ever fussed, despite being used in what was essentially a coffin. And it was a 1st revision (SCPH-39001) model.
Furthermore, I know for a fact that many people on this forum put their PS3s through their paces running things like F@H, leaving them on for multiple nights straight and whatnot. Yet I know of none that reported problems. And that was all with first gen. hardware.
So don't tell me that the 360 overheats because people put it on carpet or played it too long or whatever. It overheats because it is poorly designed, either internally or in overall shape, period. And one of the main reasons it fails, I don't think would be too outlandish to say, is because it overheats.

Back