1/4 Drag: The Car Classes

• Thread starter DLR
  • 416 comments
i dont know how they maintain existance.. it puzzles me how they can remember to breath..

great thread though anyway

lol yea. Thanks man 👍

Right. So you're saying that the OP, who is one of the most respected drag racers on GT5 and GTP, doesn't know a damn thing about drag? Seems to me someone hasn't done their research…or is just here to pick a fight.

Nice list, now, get going on one for SSR7 :D

I know, gotta get maf or someone to handle SSR7. Maybe we could combine the threads?

Thanks for the backup guys, didn't know how much more of that I could take :lol:

Right, back On Topic!!
, Cars to add/move. Suggestions?

Hmm……Ferrari Enzo? Is that a common drag car?

You see it now and then. Getting the launch down is a bit tricky but once you nail it not many cars are going to be beating it 👍

You forgot SL600 and SL65, I'm pretty sure they belong at least in class 2.
I'm not hating on the list, I was just responding to your statement that drag racing is harder than circuit racing.

I said before and I'll say it again - great list. 👍

Nice list, I've been starting to get into the drag scene abit on GT5 now but I notice your class's dont go as low as the FF scene, which I have a question about as I've been trying to tune a Honda Prelude Type S '98 to compete with a person on my friends list Civic and Integra's but I just get left for dust :(
I thought the Prelude would be a good choice as it makes 432HP, 39Kgfm Tq (Or 282 Ft Lbs) weighs 1090kg , but unless I drag agasint someone with no tune I loose out on the launch every time. I guess its mainly as I know nothing about drag tuning and trying to get tips on how to tune for a good launch is like getting blood from a stone in my experiance.

P.S for people that say drag racing is easy you're wrong, trying to tune a fast 1/4 car in this game has been way more difficult than tuning a car to compete on circuit racing in my experiance, (but I have been learning how to tune for circuit racing over the years of GT, while im completly new to drag tuning) so I have massive respect for the drag tuners out there.

You forgot SL600 and SL65, I'm pretty sure they belong at least in class 2.
I'm not hating on the list, I was just responding to your statement that drag racing is harder than circuit racing.

I said before and I'll say it again - great list. 👍

NP mate. We come from two very different worlds so there will be a bit of conflict when we meet. No hard feelings 👍

SL600 and SL65, hmm, I think I have those cars but never tuned them for drag, what are their specs fully tuned? HP, weight, number of gears and weight distribution please :)

Nice list, I've been starting to get into the drag scene abit on GT5 now but I notice your class's dont go as low as the FF scene, which I have a question about as I've been trying to tune a Honda Prelude Type S '98 to compete with a person on my friends list Civic and Integra's but I just get left for dust :(
I thought the Prelude would be a good choice as it makes 432HP, 39Kgfm Tq (Or 282 Ft Lbs) weighs 1090kg , but unless I drag agasint someone with no tune I loose out on the launch every time. I guess its mainly as I know nothing about drag tuning and trying to get tips on how to tune for a good launch is like getting blood from a stone in my experiance.

Yea, I'm not much of a Honda dragger myself. Will probably add some of the FF cars to the list today if I have time. All I can say to you is, add some front toe; that's all I really know about tuning FF :lol:

P.S for people that say drag racing is easy you're wrong, trying to tune a fast 1/4 car in this game has been way more difficult than tuning a car to compete on circuit racing in my experiance, (but I have been learning how to tune for circuit racing over the years of GT, while im completly new to drag tuning) so I have massive respect for the drag tuners out there.

Yea, most of the people that posted on here haven't even tried to tune a car for drag racing. I started dragging in May and still fine tuning the same cars today. That is why most of us don't like to give away our tunes :D

Is the Audi RS6 any good? 4-wheel drive and 800 HP so it should be.
P.S I'm looking to get into drag tuning. Do you have any tips to get started with?

Is the Audi RS6 any good? 4-wheel drive and 800 HP so it should be.
P.S I'm looking to get into drag tuning. Do you have any tips to get started with?

The station wagon? I've seen that soooooooooooooo many times but never actually went and bought it. I'm guessing class 3 or 4...

You want to get started into dragging? Take a look at the tuning forum, you'll always find something there :)

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=212074

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=220639

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=219921

RS6 WELL tuned can get off the line as well as a great tuned gtr or ZZ. But it's weight (I believe) makes it fall behind 1/2 way down the track. They'd be a good class 3 car.

RS6 WELL tuned can get off the line as well as a great tuned gtr or ZZ. But it's weight (I believe) makes it fall behind 1/2 way down the track. They'd be a good class 3 car.

Added in class 3 👍

I drag old muscle more than new cars and it's a blast. At times though it can really piss me off. Most of my cars that have a my standard drag tune manage about 145mph on the 1/4 mile, and the better of mine manage 150+. Getting it that far is hard because most basic tunes only get you to about 135-140mph.

Any respected drag racer will tell you that a good launch is key to winning. But at the same time being able to counteract weight with power is something you also need to look into when adjusting your transmission settings. You really need to hammer that torque curve if you want to make a heavy car a good car. Obviously theres more that goes into these things that just transmissions, but that majority of the tune is based on a good tranny.

Edit:

I think you should add any other Ford GT into Class 3 because even though a No Stripe is faster the GT is still a good drag car with a good tune. I see a lot of them out on the track at Indy. Also, a lot of the Muscle Cars in Class 5 deserve to be in class 4 even though at most the HP difference is only 75. Think about that in comparison to other cars in higher classes.

Personally, if drag racing gets implemented in the future, I'd like to see this get stickied and not only show classes, but also turn into a thread to help out fellow draggers.

Last edited:
I drag old muscle more than new cars and it's a blast. At times though it can really piss me off. Most of my cars that have a my standard drag tune manage about 145mph on the 1/4 mile, and the better of mine manage 150+. Getting it that far is hard because most basic tunes only get you to about 135-140mph.

Any respected drag racer will tell you that a good launch is key to winning. But at the same time being able to counteract weight with power is something you also need to look into when adjusting your transmission settings. You really need to hammer that torque curve if you want to make a heavy car a good car. Obviously theres more that goes into these things that just transmissions, but that majority of the tune is based on a good tranny.

Yes, I dragged some of the muscle cars but never spent that much time doing it. One thing that separates muscle cars from the rest is their soft suspension and their unusual powerbands. Lots of the time I have to set my transmission to a very high speed just to keep the car in the power curve the whole time. Suspension is also tricky...

Edit:

I think you should add any other Ford GT into Class 3 because even though a No Stripe is faster the GT is still a good drag car with a good tune. I see a lot of them out on the track at Indy. Also, a lot of the Muscle Cars in Class 5 deserve to be in class 4 even though at most the HP difference is only 75. Think about that in comparison to other cars in higher classes.

Which should be moved to class 4? I organized these by looking in my garage for the specs but you are obviously a pro in muscle.

I've put countless hours into tuning the classic beasts, and they can be a b*tch if you don't know what your doing. I still get to the point of where I want to throw my controller across the room sometimes. The soft suspension I usually leave in the front, so the the body lifts while leaving the front tires on the ground, and then really harden them in the back to pin the car to the ground therefore increasing traction. The only car with a whacky powerband I still have trouble with is the 'Cuda. You really have to shift right on to avoid losing power. I can get away with lower transmissions (like 155MPH) and then adjust individuals from there to get a good launch (and for classic cars the best thing to do is launch from second).

These should be moved:

Plymouth Superbird
Dodge Challenger R/T
Cheverolet Camaro SS
Tempest Le Mans GT0
Chevrolet Camaro SS ('69)

I've beaten stuff from the above class in a well tuned Challenger....I've beaten ACR's and Enzo's that have crap tunes with it as well. It all depends on the launch. They can be really fun, you just have to have a good tune. The reactions from beating a Cobra with a Challenger are priceless. That's not very easy to do either, most of the Cobras have bad tunes anyway.

What is the most important thing when trying to get good drag tune?

There's no one thing that is more important than the other. Everything plays its part together. If you miss something, that can make all the difference between a good drag car and a bad one.

would anyone like to help me check these for 2 reasons
1. So i can tune my cars
2. So we can test the OP's order if Class 3 can beat class 2?

Charger 440 R/T and Mach 1 need to go in the above class.

But aren't they the slower Muscle cars? I don't see a Mach 1 beating a Cuda...

What is the most important thing when trying to get good drag tune?

Look in the tuning section 👍

Ehem... Excuse me but my R34 has beaten numerous R35 Spec-V's :)
Rs6 Is defo in class 2 ive beat vipers, gtr's and tommy kairra things what ever they are

Did you not read my whole post?
I know lots if you will say "Hey I beat a car from a higher class!"; well yea, these are if the cars are properly tuned. I have beat an Enzo with my Dodge RAM before so a tune matters a lot.

My Mach 1 will whoop 'Cuda that has a bad tune. Not even. I've seen them with decent tunes and still managed to pull away, only barely winning, at points almost to close to call. Charger 440 R/T has over 800hp tuned.

SL600's pretty quick. Might be heavy but it's got so much power and torque- 1,050 horsepower to boot, and it's not all that bad off the line either.

I've seen a properly tuned SL600 stay on par with Veyrons (on 1/4 only though).
SL600 should be in Class 2 at least, it eats Speed 12.

Have you got a Pagani Zonda C12 7.3S ?
I was in a fully tuned Viper ACR and that thing totally ripped me apart :/
I haven't got one but if you do, try it! I think you should put it up there in the street hypercars.

SL600's pretty quick. Might be heavy but it's got so much power and torque- 1,050 horsepower to boot, and it's not all that bad off the line either.

I've seen a properly tuned SL600 stay on par with Veyrons (on 1/4 only though).
SL600 should be in Class 2 at least, it eats Speed 12.

I think I have a SL600, will give it a go tonight 👍

Have you got a Pagani Zonda C12 7.3S ?
I was in a fully tuned Viper ACR and that thing totally ripped me apart :/
I haven't got one but if you do, try it! I think you should put it up there in the street hypercars.

Have one but never tuned it for drag. Will also look into it tonight.

Does the 7.3 only appear after a certain amount of days? I still have never come across this car in the ucd...nor the 22B.

Back