1-Series M Coupe

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mazerati
  • 46 comments
  • 2,543 views
O.K, maybe my opinion isn't as agreeable as expected. In the end i wouldn't buy a car which i don't like the look of (regardless of performance and ride). And, i wouldn't be bowled over because it has a bit more power (which apparently makes it fit for a badge placed on the M1, M3 CSL/GTR and the M635i E24). So, in the end ///M Power, actually means ///More Power. All in all a dissapointment in the looks department about to be made worse by ruining the CSL badge.
 
2: I like to drive FF cars as i lernt to drive in one and when i got my first car it also was an FF and i adapted my driving style to it.

How do you adjust to:
*floors it* SKID SKID SKID SKID!! :lol:

Just kidding of course, but that's probably thee first time I've heard something like that from someone who's not sitting in a FWD Honda (just kidding again, obviously).

So, in the end ///M Power, actually means ///More Power.
The ///M Badge just tells you that you've got a beefed up semi-luxury sedan with more power and better handling. Just a sportier BMW. And that's exactly what the 1M is. What else than "More Power" should the M Badge mean? Even the M GmbH isn't going to turn the 1 series (or the 3 series, or the 5, for that matter) into a supercar.
 
Last edited:
The weird thing about the 1M is that it simply does not evoke any kind of emotional reaction from me whatsoever. The automotive press can go on and on about how pleasant the car is to drive and how wonderful it sounds, but it is just not what I would have liked it to be. The pricing in my mind is what it is, more than it probably should be, but justifiable when sitting somewhere between the sDrive35is and M3.

It's funny but I don't think any M-car since about 1995 evokes any emotional reaction in me. They're all cars I can massively respect but not really desire.

As for the 1M, I do like it. I think it looks pretty good, if a bit toy-like, but I wouldn't own one. In that market my money would be going towards Porsche on a Cayman R (a bit more money, but I'd argue if you can spend £40k on a car then you can spend £50k on a car - you're unlikely to be paying for it from your savings). And if I wanted a 1-Series then in the UK I'd be more tempted by one of the diesels, dull as that sounds.

Just kidding of course, but that's probably thee first time I've heard something like that from someone who's not sitting in a FWD Honda (just kidding again, obviously).

I've owned both FWD and RWD cars and though I prefer RWD, FWD can be a hell of a lot of fun once you get the knack.

And none of them have been Hondas ;)
 
I've owned both FWD and RWD cars and though I prefer RWD, FWD can be a hell of a lot of fun once you get the knack.

And none of them have been Hondas ;)

I know FWD cars can be fun - and are fun, if it's the right car. That's why I've only been kidding.
It's just the first time I've heard someone mentioning that he's preffering FWD over RWD, when it comes driving feel and such, not driving around in snow or economical reasons. At least someone who's not totally engulfed by a company that specialises in FWD cars ;)
 
How do you adjust to:
*floors it* SKID SKID SKID SKID!! :lol:

Since i can feel the understeer i know to lift a bit, if i floor it with no real harm done.
 
AWD = FR > FF

Also comparing the 135 to the 1M is bullocks.

The 1M is somewhat limited and different.

It's like people thinking having a Audi A3 2.L Fsi quattro chipped sportsline being the same as an S3.
It's not and will never be.
I owned a modded A3 and an S3 it's 2 different pair of shoes even modded.

I would be heavily tempted by the 1M if I wouldn't be saving on a house.
 
Just watching Top Gear Season 17 Episode 1, with the 1M being tested. Now, I know to take Top Gear for what it is, an entertainment show. But I liked the line Clarkson said after beating a Porsche Cayman and a Lotus Evora S in a drag race:
"This then does to today's sportscars what the original Golf GTI did to the MG and the Triumph Spitfire: It renders them pointless."

Beating the 200 gradn more expensive Evora S in a drag race is quite something, right? That's ///M Power, right there.
 
Beating the 200 gradn more expensive Evora S in a drag race is quite something, right?

Not really. I'm not about to say that the 1M isn't a great piece of engineering, but any fool can make a car that beats an Evora S in a straight line.

Speak to anyone who has concerns greater than spending all day sideways and they'll tell you the Evora is the better handling car (and indeed, the Cayman too), but it's much less of a quantifiable thing than beating something in a straight line so doesn't make for exciting TV.

Incidentally, every single test I've read of 1M vs. Cayman R has placed the Porsche out in front, even though it's not as quick and costs £10k more.

Outright speed isn't everything.

It's also worth mentioning that the Golf GTI cut into the sports car market because it was significantly more reliable than the British sports cars available at the time, too.
 
Incidentally, every single test I've read of 1M vs. Cayman R has placed the Porsche out in front, even though it's not as quick and costs £10k more.
I do think that anybody in their right mind would expect both the Porsche and the Lotus to likely be faster around a track, seeing as they are mid engined, pure bred sports cars, instead of a semi-luxury coupe on steroids. That's why I added the "in a drag race" bit.

I still think it is a feat to beat cars that a) cost a fair bit more and b) aren't based on what's a rather sedate day to day car, whether it's a drag race, or not. It's the same as the M3, really. It's not going to kick the living crap out of pure bred sports cars, but it is fairly remarkable for what it is. And that's a relatively comfortable, roomy car with your usual FR layout. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's also worth mentioning that the Golf GTI cut into the sports car market because it was significantly more reliable than the British sports cars available at the time, too.
One of many reasons, yes. The point, I think, Clarkson was making was this one, though: While the 1M might not beat cars like the Cayman R or the Evora S around the circuit, it's fairly fast. As in, 'those cars won't destroy it' fast. The fact that the Cayman R and Evora S are competing with a car that's based on the 1 series is quite something by itself.
So, you're sacrificing a bit of your lap time so you can safe ten grand, have rear seats and a boot. That does sound a bit like the 'more room, more comfortable to life with, cheaper' bit that the hot hatches had over your average Biritish roadster, doesn't it?
 
My favorite thing about the 1M is the fender flares.
 
^
The better comparable car would be the TTRS or the RS3.

same hp, same weight.

Putting it against those lightweight cayman and evora is not a comparable car.
 
So, you're sacrificing a bit of your lap time so you can safe ten grand, have rear seats and a boot. That does sound a bit like the 'more room, more comfortable to life with, cheaper' bit that the hot hatches had over your average Biritish roadster, doesn't it?

I agree entirely - it's pretty impressive. But the segment was typically Clarkson in that he was dramatizing the whole thing a little. I'm sure the 1M is a great car, but it isn't god's gift as JC was making out.

Not least because, ironically, some of the actual hot hatchbacks around today would show the 1M a clean pair of heels on a lot of roads (and especially in poor weather), so the hot hatchback genre is still effectively doing what it did back in the mid 70s with the original GTI, which is making pukka performance cars look a bit silly on performance but offering more practicality.

That said, my money would still always go on the proper sports car, rather than the hotted-up BMW or the 300bhp hot hatchback. I'm in the camp with people who don't mind taking an outright performance hit for those little intangible extras that a proper sports car can give.

^
The better comparable car would be the TTRS or the RS3.

same hp, same weight.

Putting it against those lightweight cayman and evora is not a comparable car.

If the TT-RS is a rival, then the Cayman and Evora are too - they're all coupes, of a sort.

That said, a lot of magazines have been testing it against the RS3 as that's the most natural rival, just as the RS4 is to the M3. And many UK magazines have given the win to the BMW, because the RS3 is poor on UK roads.
 
That said, my money would still always go on the proper sports car, rather than the hotted-up BMW or the 300bhp hot hatchback. I'm in the camp with people who don't mind taking an outright performance hit for those little intangible extras that a proper sports car can give.

Count me in the camp that ultimately cares about how the car feels and how rewarding it is to drive vs outright performance. I don't "campaign" cars. I drive them. At the end of the day, there's always going to be something faster. But if your car is just a pleasure to hustle down the great roads, that's a constant.
 
I agree entirely - it's pretty impressive. But the segment was typically Clarkson in that he was dramatizing the whole thing a little. I'm sure the 1M is a great car, but it isn't god's gift as JC was making out.
Of course not. It's your typical top gear thing, and I guess just about everyone knows that. ;)

Not least because, ironically, some of the actual hot hatchbacks around today would show the 1M a clean pair of heels on a lot of roads (and especially in poor weather), so the hot hatchback genre is still effectively doing what it did back in the mid 70s with the original GTI, which is making pukka performance cars look a bit silly on performance but offering more practicality.
Personally, I consider the 1M to do exactly what the hot hatches do: Sport car performance without the sport car drawbacks.
You could of course always come up with some coonditions in which a car like, dunno, the Focus RS would win againsst the 1M, but does that mean it's a better car most of the time? I don't think so.

That said, my money would still always go on the proper sports car, rather than the hotted-up BMW or the 300bhp hot hatchback. I'm in the camp with people who don't mind taking an outright performance hit for those little intangible extras that a proper sports car can give.
The performance, I think, is one thing. But, taking a hit in the performance and every day practicality and price, that's the catch, in my opinion.

Then again, I'd go with the car that offers me most for whatever amount of money I'd be willing to spend - and in that regard, the 1M offers a pretty impressive package.
 
If the TT-RS is a rival, then the Cayman and Evora are too - they're all coupes, of a sort.

Problem is, that TT-RS is going to start right around $60K here in the US. That's $15K more (give/take) than the 1 Series M Coupe. Long story short, $60K will buy you a lot of car. Even then, $45K will still buy you a lot of car. Of the quad there, I'd have the Evora. Even in standard trim, pitter-pattering about with Camry power. Its unique, surprisingly comfortable, and I find it strange how simple the interior bits and pieces are to use. A complete opposite of everything else there.

Otherwise, I'd be a fool to buy anything other than a BOSS 302 Mustang. FOOLS!
 
Well, it does look a bit pathethic with those massive flared wheelarches to cover those massive wheels and tyres, everything under that tiny 1 series body, looks weird like a halterofilist kid... somehow.

I agree with Luminis on the performance aspect, it's a damn good value for your money and a pretty special little car. BMW says they're only have a 1-year production window granted for this car, which might even make it quite rare ( if it turns out to be true ), turning a car into a collectible item and hence, an investment.

Not to mention it's pace is on par with the M3's, but it shall be much more attainable given the torque advantage over the bigger brother.

Would I have it over a Cayman R or a Evora S? Easily, just not in that orange hue.
 
Clearly for me a Cayman R or a Evora S would be a more obvious choice. I like them better.

But an M3? Slower (not a lot I admit) and more expensive, to put more weight in the boot?

You want a fast BMW, you go for the fastest around your budget.
You want more room, you by a KIA on the side.
 
Back