101 USES and More for Gran Turismo by GTPlanet Users.

So much this! Other than taking off using a racing wheel can really help learn how to drive a stick. When I learned how to drive a stick I didn't have much practice before I stopped for months. During that time I used the H-pattern on my wheel and when I went back in the actual car again I was stunned at how natural it felt.
I completely agree. Learning to take off is literally the only part that you cannot learn on the game. And one other actually, and that is shifting without using the clutch.

I learned how to drive using a stick, and my first car is a stick. My dad has been driving manuals his whole life. He know them in and out. Learning to shift with out using the clutch will save wear and tear more than you would imagine. :)

......xsnipx......So i started using GT as a tool to improve my FPS gameplay.

It worked like magic!

What an incredible idea. That really blows my mind - in a sense we are using the same parameters for reaction, but, wow. . . .

The AI definitely helps with real life defensive action on the road.

This hit me so hard a few days ago - I was 'sheparding' a funeral procession of over twenty cars from parlour to church to cemetary, and it was almost surreal at one point when I realized I was using many of the same skills I had picked up doing some of the more far-out driving events that take place in the AI Hub to make sure no other traffic barged in, or that stragglers were not left behind and got lost.
Suddenly all the other non-mourner cars became AI cars, and I could almost foresee the dumb (or intelligently trollish) moves they were going to make to disrupt this procession in their impatience to cut in and not slow down and make way for the procession to pass - the required custom of traffic over here.

This happens with emergency vehicles, too - I may spot an Emergency vehicle way behind me, lights flashing, long before much of the other traffic is aware - because of having been used to being aware of what's behind me, consciously, as a routine, while doing these ' offensive traffic'-type events in Gran Turismo.
This means I react quicker to slow the traffic behind me, and signal to get them all off to the side; more drivers behind me would be glancing unconsciously at their rear-view mirrors as soon as I slow down. I signal urgency by tapping my brake lights, and flicking my indicator on, and I can see in my rear view mirror everybody reacting to slow down, too, and move to a side, clearing a path for the EMT or FD vehicle to get through.

So, yes, a great tool to simulate a variety of situations in defensive driving and the various driving solutions that can be experienced reactively - and thereafter retro-actively if it happens IRL. TDU2 has this, too, to an extent, but overall, the physics and graphical simulation of Gran Turismo hits the nail on the head a lot more squarely than most other games offering complex and quite-possible-to-experience-in-reality driving situations.

My apologies for letting this thread slide; shall work to firm up the OP better and encapsulate as much info and ideas as possible in an at-a-glance format. And, yes . . . I don't think we've hit 101, yet. :)

The AI definitely helps with real life defencive action on the road.

As frustrating as the AI can be because they're such weak competition. You may be on to something. The skills learned dodging AI stupidity is the same skills you'll need to be aware of and dodge all the Maldonado's driving on public roads.

I use it to work out my road rage. Nothing like flying past a pack of cars from the shoulder after a particularly crappy commute. Bonus points when you see a like make and model car from today's traffic jam. Excuse me while I "love tap" you into the guard rail, punk!

:lol:

Can't help laughing. But, this is so true. PD seems to have based many of the AI on the lines of many a RL driver out there today, blissfully stomping on the 'GO!' pedal, or the 'STOP!" pedal or suddenly sawing away at the 'Turning thing'.
Or just toodling along while being totally somewhere else.

How often is it that we'll be on a lonely stretch of road, no cars way ahead, no cars way behind, but just in front of us two cars going side by side, taking up both available lanes, sedately doing 50 kph in a 60 zone.

And we stalk them and stalk them and stalk them waiting to pass while thinking about the AI in GT.

So . . . Venting? Harmless outlet for Road Rage?

Then this game is saving lives. :) Another use. 👍

^ So true, so true. 👍

GT is our BFFF. :D

And now? Course Maker! Or whatever the hell fancy name it has now - GT TPE. So much to do in there - so many uses that it will get a whole section. I await your imagination! Tell me what uses you are putting it to.
Reading over the OP again - I realise it was written before we even got B-Spec ! (Let alone Course Maker - which we were screaming for at the time.)

So a ton of uses for B-Spec, too.

Riding with Bob is one - watching him fly though the Ring is quite the learning experience. Sometimes when I want to ride the ring, I'll get Bob to drive. (While I snack and watch.)

I also use him to study a new track I'm going to use - I get him to drive and ride shotgun checking out the breaking points, etc.

So a ton of uses for B-Spec, too.

Riding with Bob is one - watching him fly though the Ring is quite the learning experience. Sometimes when I want to ride the ring, I'll get Bob to drive. (While I snack and watch.)

I also use him to study a new track I'm going to use - I get him to drive and ride shotgun checking out the breaking points, etc.

In GT4 BSpec Bob taught me how to drive, I got tired of getting beat and watched his lines. They were'nt perfect, But it was how I learned the lines to most of the tracks in the GT Series.

GT6 can be used to put your family/friends to shame :

"My video game remembered my birthday , and you didn't ?"
"Another photo frame ? Even my freaking video game gave me a better present than this . "

I'm looking forward to someone forgetting my Birthday now. Hahah

Back