101st Indianapolis 500- 28 May 2017Open Wheel 

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 542 comments
honda not finnished.jpg
Honda to Alonso. (first time uploading a picture)

If anything, I thought this was one of the best put-together broadcasts of the 500 that I can remember. Of course no commercials would be ideal, but it is what it is.

When Alonso's and Hunter's engines went, I started to think regardless of the series, Honda could not produce a reliable engine. But, then the station did remind us there was still over a dozen still-running-fine Honda engines in the field. I just think it's some sort of sick curse Alonso has at this point, the unreliability is too consistent!

I was expecting this radio call when Alonso's engine blew:

"F1 engine. F1 engine. Gah!"

Mega from Sato though. And a great Indy500 overall. Glad Dixon is okay after that nasty accident too.

If Alonso doesnt secure the 2nd Ferrari or Mercedes seat for next season, Im 90% sure he's coming to Indycar in 2018 as a fulltime driver. Its his best chance to secure the triple crown before hes too far past his prime. Indycar has consistently had an off week for the Le Mans 24hr weekend, so he can race both Indy and LeMans each year no problem until he gets it done.

Even if Alonso never wins Indy or the Triple crown, what I saw in the first 50 laps of today's race was pure driving brilliance. That was some of the finest driving you will ever see. It doesnt matter if he never wins it, his all-world talent was on display for everyone to see.

If Alonso doesnt secure the 2nd Ferrari or Mercedes seat for next season, Im 90% sure he's coming to Indycar in 2018 as a fulltime driver. Its his best chance to secure the triple crown before hes too far past his prime. Indycar has consistently had an off week for the Le Mans 24hr weekend, so he can race both Indy and LeMans each year no problem until he gets it done.

Even if Alonso never wins Indy or the Triple crown, what I saw in the first 50 laps of today's race was pure driving brilliance. That was some of the finest driving you will ever see. It doesnt matter if he never wins it, his all-world talent was on display for everyone to see.
I have nothing to add. 👍

I'm amazed how quickly he picked up oval racing, looked like he'd been doing it all his life. I would love for him to take up Indycar full-time, he clearly enjoyed his 500 experience and it would give the series a huge name in drawing power.

It's quite weird seeing 3 recent/current (Alonso, Rossi, Chilton) F1 drivers shining so well in Indy, as well as at least 2 other former (Montoya, Sato, technically Andretti as well), of course, having solid careers for a number of years now. Just goes to show how skewed F1 cars can be, overshadowing drivers by a noticeable degree.

If anything I used to think F1 drivers going to Indycar were kind of desperate, especially because in recent years it has been hit or miss. But I don't look down at Indycar as much any more, although I still enjoy the tracks and more advanced technology of F1 over Indycars.

The determination of Alonso means he will do his best to clear out his schedule again to make it back next year. Thinking about that, I fully agree with the post from Earth that if Alonso doesn't gain a competitive seat over the next season, he may say farewell. Maybe pull a Button and just keep his 1 foot in for standby. But for the most part, he has at least accomplished all the major F1 goals, albeit many years ago. He doesn't have to limit the rest of his career to just one series.

I ultimately want to see Alonso at Le Mans, although today was an incredible treat, up until the cursed engine blowing!

There is no doubt about it, Nando looked like a natural on the oval, and if his engine didn't blow out, he probably would have been a solid second or third.

I wonder though, if Andretti Racing is going to go the full hog and rebrand to McLaren Andretti Racing this off season. Has there been anything in regards to this?

It's quite weird seeing 3 recent/current (Alonso, Rossi, Chilton) F1 drivers shining so well in Indy, as well as at least 2 other former (Montoya, Sato, technically Andretti as well), of course, having solid careers for a number of years now. Just goes to show how skewed F1 cars can be, overshadowing drivers by a noticeable degree.
It is weird, and it does show me how the drivers in F1 aren't the deciding factor. Granted no racing series can say that drivers are the ONLY factor in a race, but Indycar seems to be more driver-dependent than many of the other top-tier series, WEC may be close as well but I've still yet to see a WEC event properly.

I don't know that Alonso will drop F1 if he doesn't get a Ferrari or Mercedes seat, but if he does then I can see him as McLaren's Indycar spearhead, be it with Andretti or a new McLaren lead effort.

Gutted. :grumpy: I watched all the N24 and could only watch the first 50 odd laps of the 500 before I just had to go to bed. I missed Sato winning!!!! Noooooooo.

I remember a while ago Will Buxton wrote a fantastic article showing that the bottom half of the F1 field had something like 20+ championships between them. The skewed performance of F1 cars always prevented them from showing what they were capable in junior formulas. I remember Chilton used to get laughed at at his stint with Marussia, yet here he is in Indycar doing really well!

This was my first Indy 500 that I watched in full but the driver factor is unlike any other series I've seen before. I think Indycar has just gained a new full time viewer

On this Memorial day we honor the men and women who fought and died so people like this asshole Terry Frei, a sportswriter for the Denver Post, can share with the world this free and uncensored thought.

terry-frei-tweet.jpg

'merikkka

On this Memorial day we honor the men and women who fought and died so people like this asshole Terry Frei, a sportswriter for the Denver Post, can share with the world this free and uncensored thought.

terry-frei-tweet.jpg

'merikkka

I take it he's never heard of the 442nd?

I guess there will always be those idiots who complain anytime a non-American wins, but the reaction at the track should put to rest any thoughts that they are a majority.

terry-frei-tweet.jpg

'merikkka

And the hilarious thing was, would he be ok with a Brazilian winning on American power? Or an American winning on Japanese power?

Typical dumbass racists, no logic or thought.

The idiot apologized, but he'd better get disciplined properly. That was blatantly ignorant of the fact that the world isn't what it was.

Would he have said the same thing if it were an Italian or a German? Don't know, but I doubt it reading his empty apology.

What is the fastest average lap time statistic being mentioned about Alonso? Wouldn't that mean he would have been in first when he retired? It said it was at the point of retirement.

What is the fastest average lap time statistic being mentioned about Alonso? Wouldn't that mean he would have been in first when he retired? It said it was at the point of retirement.
Perhaps he'd built it up when he lead, he was making headway whenever he fell back into traffic.

Has anyone said exactly what failed on his, RHRs, and Kimballs engines?

Fastest average lap speed doesn't mean that he would have been leading, but it means he was passing cars more than others certainly. We also don't know the intervals of those averages so it could have very well been miniscule.

Eva
Fastest average lap speed doesn't mean that he would have been leading, but it means he was passing cars more than others certainly. We also don't know the intervals of those averages so it could have very well been miniscule.
Not to mention pit-lane shuffling under the yellow flag relegated him back. I am sure caution laps weren't incorporated into that average.

Latest Posts

Back