• Thread starter left888
  • 190 comments

left888

Grand Master Member
Premium
Canada
Alberta
left888
I know there are a few of us participating in the upcoming "120 Minutes of Thunder" at Inside Sim Racing It will be the Riley Prototype and the Cadillac CTS-VR.

To enter in the Riley Prototype apply Here
To enter in the Cadillac CTS-V apply Here

Shaun Cole
NOW AN OFFICIAL iRACING SANCTIONED EVENT (read below)

InsideSimRacing.TV 120 Minutes of Thunder @ The Glen

Event Date: Saturday, June 30th, 2012

Race Start Time: US Server, 6:00 PM EST Saturday (22:00 GMT, 3:00PM Los Angeles, 8:00AM Australia (Canberra), 11:00PM London)
Registration: Open to all iRacers that that have current memberships and the content they need to race.
Cars: Riley Daytona Prototype, Cadillac CTS-VR
Setup: Open setup. Each car will race in a separate class
Track: Watkins Glen Boot (with Chicane)

More Here

A few statistics in regards to the 120 Minutes of Thunder Event. None of these stats are 100% accurate due to inaccurate entries, ie .. double posts, deleted posts etc ..

Riley Daytona Prototype As of June 29, 2012 there are 370 entrants with an average age of 32.9 years with the youngest at 13 years and the oldest at 72 years.

Countries of Origin

USA ..... 149
U.K. ..... 44
Australia ... 35
Canada ... 22
Brazil ... 20
Germany ... 14
Denmark ... 10
France ... 8
Portugal ... 7
Italy ... 6
Belgium ... 5
Finland ... 5
Netherlands ... 5
Austria ... 4
Russia ... 4
Spain ... 4
Sweden ... 4
Hungary ... 3
Argentina ... 2
Greece ... 2
Mexico ... 2
New Zealand ... 2
Uruguay ... 2
Caribbean ... 1
Chile ... 1
Croatia ... 1
Greece ... 1
Hungary ... 1
Japan ... 1
Luxembourg ... 1
Norway ... 1
Poland ... 1
South Africa ... 1
Venezuela ... 1

Cadillac CTS-V As of June 29, 2012 there are 283 entrants with an average age of 32 years with the youngest at 14 years and the oldest at 71 years.

Countries of Origin

USA .... 103
U.K. .... 31
Australia .... 30
Germany .... 17
Canada ... 15
Spain .... 13
Denmark .... 8
Netherlands .... 8
Argentina .... 7
Brazil .... 5
Sweden .... 5
Italy .... 4
New Zealand .... 4
Portugal .... 4
China .... 3
France .... 3
Russia .... 3
Belgium .... 2
Austria .... 1
Barbados .... 1
Colombia .... 1
Croatia .... 1
Czech Republic .... 1
Dominican Republic .... 1
Finland .... 1
Greece .... 1
Hungary .... 1
Indonesia .... 1
Jamaica .... 1
Norway .... 1
Poland .... 1
Slovenia .... 1
South Africa .... 1
Switzerland .... 1
Turkey .... 1
Ukraine .... 1

Last edited:
I'm in as well, it's going to be a long race with very little time to relax regardless of the split. I just hope I don't get caught up in stupid wreck, but there is good read on forums (I'll posted it here when I get home) about passing/racing this race.

Ill be in Riley DP in rookie/D class spilt.

Red Areas Are where overtaking shouldnt happen - Into Bus stop is fine just not through it!

isrtrackguide.jpg

THINGS TO REMEMBER! And Most Important Stuff

- Do not dive bomb anyone even if you’re in the DP and there in the Cadillac... This will no doubt end your race and there’s! so if you’re not close enough wait until the straight to get them…

- DP Drivers - Once you overtake a Cadillac don’t just move straight over in front of them. Give yourself a nice gap to them then move back over to the racing line otherwise you never know they might miss there braking point into the next corner if you come right back in front of them and then bam.

- Cadillac Drivers -Biggest thing is hold your line! Don’t know move out of the way for the DP drivers they will find their way around you!

- Make your intensions CLEAR early! Don’t wait till the last minute if you’re trying to lap someone cause that’s what causes crashes

- Call out over the Mic or type “P” into chat if you’ve got someone right behind you and you’re trying to pit.

- Cadillac Drivers When you start getting lapped just remember to keep an Eye in the mirror and USE F3 or the Relative Box so you know if someone is coming up behind you.

- Don’t Not Cut from outside to inside on a car your overtaking going into a corner.

Turn 1

- Turn 1 is a perfect spot to overtake as it’s a long straight coming off the last turn and you can easily get the overtake on a slower can done there… once again do not dive bomb.

Turn 2 (Entry to the Esses)

- If you’re driving the Cadillac and you’ve got a DP close behind then you can let off going into this part of the road and let them go, what I mean is just move to the left coming out of turn one and if there close enough lift off the throttle n maybe tell them on the mic in game to go on through. Then get back on the throttle n keep going.

- DP Drivers if you’re not close enough you will have to wait!! Its pain I know but there is nothing you can do.

Turn 3 (The Esses)

-This is without doubt the WORST part on the track to try and pass someone… DO NOT TRY AND OVERTAKE. Unless you want your race to be over and cause a massive pile up.

Turn 4 (Exit of the Esses)

- Another Critical Spot on the track as there has been many of crashes here. DP Drivers need to be patient and wait for the Cadillac driver to get settled.

- DP Drivers try and overtake to the right so you’re not coming back across them into the bus stop (Chicane – Inner Loop)

- Cadillac Drivers Hold your line exiting the Esses, The Preferred line is to go left to give the DP (Faster Car) the room to go down the inside.

Turn 5a (Inner Loop/Bus Stop/ Chicane)

-This is a big problem area where a lot of crashes will happen… the most important thing is to the DP Drivers, Do not dive bomb! It will be tempting to try and pass and it’s a good spot but if not alongside the Cadillac Drivers it will most likely end in tears.

Turn 5 (Outer Loop, Carousel)

-If you don’t get the pass done into the bus stop then hopefully the Cadillac Driver will on exit stay to the left and let the DP Driver go on the inside.

Turn 6

- This is a hard spot to pass through as its very easy to under steer wide into the fence on the exit. The Cadillac will naturally want to slide wide on the exit of Turn 5 so it can cause problems into Turn 6 but it will be a tough spot to pass but patience is the key and there is a long enough straight after to get the job done.

Turn 7

- Prefect spot to overtake as there is enough room on entry to let DP Drivers by. Just hold you line and you should be fine.

Turn 8

- It’s a tricky little corner so DP Drivers get on the inside line early but if you know you’re not close enough then get back in line and Get the Cadillac Drivers on the entry to turn 9.

Turn 9

- Again this is a tricky corner as it’s off camber on exit so the back will tend to slide away from you. DP Drivers just remember that the Cadillac will push wide on the exit of turn 8 so be ready as you may have to go to the right side of the track to get the job done but once again I strongly suggest trying to get to the inside and make your intensions clear and maybe just ask on the mic or something beforehand.

Turn 10

- This is a good place to be making moves if your close enough!

Turn 11 (Last Turn)

- I will advise passing here as you can just wait till the main straight but if you’re right behind the car your lapping then you can go down the inside BUT later on during the race you may want to be careful as they could be pitting.

Hopefully this helps! Have a clean and Safe Race! Good luck

I've been joining the practice sessions the guys have been hosting! Down to the high 39s and felling very comfortable with the setup I'm using, definitely looking forward to the race!

Wait, so we ARE using the regular Boot version? The original thread sounded like it was the Classic Boot. I thought practices were just on the wrong layout.

So, Cadillac drivers, what times are you running? I know I had a 1'50.7.

I got down to a 49.8 on the Caddy, but I just like the Riley so much more! And the Caddy just felt like it was gonna fly off the track every single lap!

Eric.
So, Cadillac drivers, what times are you running? I know I had a 1'50.7.

Consistent 49's.

I haven't registered yet, but pretty sure I'll be driving the Caddy if I do. Got a thing with big heavy cars and trying to wrestle them around the track.

I have a feeling I might be passed by some caddy drivers even though I'm in a DP. Fastest I've got down to is 1.44, I don't know if it's the setup or my braking. I have to brake early in some corners so I don't spin or overshoots the corner .

There will be several splits, you will be placed according to your qualifying time. Same for the Caddy & Prototypes. I suspect Darryl (Plate88), Javier (Jav), Jose (Coxis) and Eric all to be in the top split. That's the beauty of having several splits, everybody should be racing according to there skill level.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how many laps a full tank in the Riley will get you round the glen?? Also will tyres need changing at some point in the race? Cheers

Does anybody know how many laps a full tank in the Riley will get you round the glen?? Also will tyres need changing at some point in the race? Cheers

Best thing you can do is participate in some of the practices over at ISR, possible that someone here can answer you on the fuel. I would think you will need at least two tire changes at least, perhaps more. This will depend on your driving habits of course.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few statistics in regards to the 120 Minutes of Thunder Event. None of these stats are 100% accurate due to inaccurate entries, ie .. double posts, deleted posts etc ..

Riley Daytona Prototype As of June 15, 2012 there are 114 entrants with an average age of 31.7 years with the youngest at 13 years and the oldest at 63 years.

Countries of Origin

USA ..... 47
U.K. ..... 22
Canada ... 9
Australia ... 7
Denmark ... 5
Germany ... 4
Italy ... 3
Belgium ... 2
Finland ... 2
New Zealand ... 2
Spain ... 2
Argentina ... 1
Austria ... 1
Brazil ... 1
Croatia ... 1
Greece ... 1
Hungary ... 1
Japan ... 1
Luxembourg ... 1
Mexico ... 1
Netherlands ... 1
Poland ... 1
Portugal ... 1
Russia ... 1

Cadillac CTS-V As of June 15, 2012 there are 90 entrants with an average age of 33.2 years with the youngest at 14 years and the oldest at 71 years.

Countries of Origin

USA .... 27
Australia .... 10
U.K. .... 10
Canada ... 7
Germany .... 7
Spain .... 4
Italy .... 3
Netherlands .... 3
Portugal .... 3
Argentina .... 2
Denmark .... 2
Sweden .... 2
Belgium .... 1
China .... 1
Colombia .... 1
Czech Republic .... 1
Jamaica .... 1
New Zealand .... 1
Norway .... 1
South Africa .... 1
Ukraine .... 1

Last edited:
Actually it was the other way arround, Daytona was split by time. I got Split 4 and got second row. From the pole sitter to the back row it was all covered by less than a second! 20+ cars covered by less than a second, that's just crazy!

That is crazy Gunna be some tight racing but I imagine the winners will be mainly the people who have few incidents and have good pit stops! In the top split everyone is capable of winning! It's Gunna b such a good race no matter what split your in although the bottom ones will be carnage! Lol

Oh yeah, its gonna be really tight racing. I remember back during the 2.4h race was crazy. I think the 31 DP's that were in that race were separated by no more than a second.:crazy:

Excited for this! It actually works with my schedule for once!

I'm going with the Riley DP as it's one of my favorite cars.

So far I've only been practicing with the fixed set, and only turned maybe 15 laps, but I'm at a comfortable ~1:45.5 race pace with a 1:44.3 optimal. I know with an open set and a little tweaking I can get my race pace into the 1:44's, but not sure how much more speed I can get. I won't be top split material (what else is new?) but I should at least be competitive in my split as I've been very consistent with my times.

Sure! I'll take that setup. I was just going to try the ones they have posted on ISR, but I think I would trust your setup to be a little better. As long as it's tuned more stable than loose I'll be happy with it I'm sure.

I’m thinking of joining that race, would you guys recommend it? How’s the DP compared to the caddy?

DP is faster then the Caddy, more skill is required with the DP although it is easier to drive then the Caddy. Caddy is big heavy and wanders at times but IMO it does not require as much skill as the DP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley Daytona Prototype As of June 15, 2012 there are 114 entrants with an average age of 31.7 years with the youngest at 13 years and the oldest at 63 years.

Countries of Origin

USA ..... 47
U.K. ..... 22
Canada ... 9
Australia ... 7
Denmark ... 5
Germany ... 4
Italy ... 3
Belgium ... 2
Finland ... 2
New Zealand ... 2
Spain ... 2
Argentina ... 1
Austria ... 1
Brazil ... 1
Croatia ... 1
Greece ... 1
Hungary ... 1
Japan ... 1
Luxembourg ... 1
Mexico ... 1
Netherlands ... 1
Poland ... 1
Portugal ... 1
Russia ... 1

Cadillac CTS-V As of June 15, 2012 there are 90 entrants with an average age of 33.2 years with the youngest at 14 years and the oldest at 71 years.

Countries of Origin

USA .... 27
Australia .... 10
U.K. .... 10
Canada ... 7
Germany .... 7
Spain .... 4
Italy .... 3
Netherlands .... 3
Portugal .... 3
Argentina .... 2
Denmark .... 2
Sweden .... 2
Belgium .... 1
China .... 1
Colombia .... 1
Czech Republic .... 1
Jamaica .... 1
New Zealand .... 1
Norway .... 1
South Africa .... 1
Ukraine .... 1

It looks like everyone is using that setup for the DP. My only issue is if I brake too late/too hard it wants to spin (which I'm not sure is my actual brake or the bias in the game).

superbike81
Curious.....

I figured with the Caddy being a free car it would have more entries.

I thought it would be too but I think bigger events draw more to cars they normally don't run. Similar to Daytona and that event.

I knew the Caddy would have an older age, in fact I thought it would have been 6 or 7 years older. I think the DP is widely chosen for it's blazing speed which is great for skilled drivers. Look out though for the Rookies that will behind the wheel of the DP. :D

To be honest, comparing fixed setups, I think the DP is easier to drive and more stable than the Caddy. It's not anywhere near as nervous.

At top speeds in the DP it is very easy to make a mistake, especially for the inexperienced driver. I agree the DP is easier to drive, to drive it well I think it takes a more experienced driver.

Latest Posts

Back