120fps now

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 111 comments
VRR on, 120fps on and prioritize resolution is what I settled on.
When relatively empty and plain track, it goes up to 100-105fps. On busy scenarios I haven't seen below 60 yet, but haven't tried rain/full grids/taxing track combos.
Prioritize framerate keeps it locked at 120, but other than the big hit in resolution, I noticed way more shimmering, dithering, worse LOD etc.

90fps mode is the best looking the game can be.

IQ wise it is worse than the regular mode, but the reflections on the cockpit look much smoother and more immersive as a result of them updating at an acceptable rate. Not at 30fps

To be clear, the 90hz mode is the resolution mode with 120hz on which is uncapped right?

VRR on, 120fps on and prioritize resolution is what I settled on.
When relatively empty and plain track, it goes up to 100-105fps. On busy scenarios I haven't seen below 60 yet, but haven't tried rain/full grids/taxing track combos.
Prioritize framerate keeps it locked at 120, but other than the big hit in resolution, I noticed way more shimmering, dithering, worse LOD etc.
I mean you're on PS5, wasn't the game always running at 60 fps before today? No reason to expect it would dip under that.

I haven't gotten it to work yet, tried it yesterday, VRR on in game, TV confirmed VRR was on, prioritise frame rate mode, as usual, but it stayed at 59fps.

With my 1440p 120hz VRR HDMI 2.1 monitor, when I set the system to 1440p 120hz VRR, and turn on 120hz in game, the system shifts to 1080p output even though the system resolution setting remains at the 1440p. Lots of variables between 120hz, VRR, and framerate vs resolution mode in game. Almost feels like we need digital foundry on the case since I cant actually measure resolution and frame rate I am getting.

120Hz looks great on my 1080p with the exception of the new WTC800 Nürburgring event…that event looked pretty bad in spots but all the other events I ran looked a bit better for me. I do not play GT7 on a 4K tv nor do I have VRR as I play on an older Sony Bravia.

I have a 48CX (hdmi 2.1 120hz), game looks the same, no noticeable difference. Maybe because I barely play the game?

To double check on a 2020+ LG, you press the .. green buttons till it pops up in the corner what the display is, so its at 4k, fluctuating from 89hz to 118hz when screen is idle and displaying various portions of the track. 3840x2160P@120
running YCBCR422 8B 4L8

Last edited:
Today I played with it set on 120 on my 4K LG OLED. Ray tracing on. I didn’t notice any major improvements or degradations in visuals - but I haven’t really got the eye for it.

I did notice how much smoother everything seemed though. Even the menus.

With my 1440p 120hz VRR HDMI 2.1 monitor, when I set the system to 1440p 120hz VRR, and turn on 120hz in game, the system shifts to 1080p output even though the system resolution setting remains at the 1440p. Lots of variables between 120hz, VRR, and framerate vs resolution mode in game. Almost feels like we need digital foundry on the case since I cant actually measure resolution and frame rate I am getting.
Absolutely. Can’t wait for DF to sort this one out. :) Love those guys.

I would love to use Resolution mode with 120hz but my LG Hgig HDR drops heavily to 8bit making it almost flat :/
so thats why i have to use 4k60 but at least we got VRR now , even tho there is some bug or something that causing few second frame drops making it too obvious at start of the race

Last edited:
Hi folks

Am on a PS5. When I go into video settings in GT7 I can chose between Prioritize Frame Rate or Prioritize Ray Tracing/Resolution. However, the box below is set to 120hz and I can't change it even if I wanted to. Is this because it is set by default in my PS5 settings somewhere?

if so, and I wanted to change it, where in PS5 could I do that?

Oh, and I could not do the VRR thing as TV not compatible. I guess lots in the same boat.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi folks
Am on a PS5. When I go into video settings in GT7 I can chose between Prioritize Frame Rate or Prioritize Ray Tracing/Resolution. However, the box below is set to 120hz and I can't change it even if I wanted to. Is this because it is set by default in my PS5 settings somewhere?
Oh, and I could not do the VRR thing as TV not compatible. I guess lots in the same boat.
Thanks
most likely your TV can't do 120hz and its not hdmi 2.1

Last edited:
After not being able to make 120Hz work properly yesterday, I disabled "Apply to unsupported games" in the VRR section of PS5 video settings, then turned 120Hz support on again in GT7 and it worked,
the screen went black for a second as it changed video modes, and now I have a very smooth menu cursor :D.

So far I've only driven the Alphard TT in 120Hz RT-off mode, it holds a remarkably stable 119fps in that scenario according to my TV. It looks a bit more jagged in places due to lower resolution or less AA, but the tradeoff is worth it for the smoothness.

I have a 48CX (hdmi 2.1 120hz), game looks the same, no noticeable difference. Maybe because I barely play the game?

To double check on a 2020+ LG, you press the .. green buttons till it pops up in the corner what the display is, so its at 4k, fluctuating from 89hz to 118hz when screen is idle and displaying various portions of the track. 3840x2160P@120
running YCBCR422 8B 4L8

Mine says 1440p. What mode are you on?

I have a LG55, HDMI 2.1, when I enable GT7 on 120hz I hear a coil noise in the PS5. Did someone notice the same?. If I change to 60hz the coil noise mostly dissapear, and if I exit the game, noise gone.
This noise didn't happen on version prior to 1.31

I have a LG55, HDMI 2.1, when I enable GT7 on 120hz I hear a coil noise in the PS5. Did someone notice the same?. If I change to 60hz the coil noise mostly dissapear, and if I exit the game, noise gone.
This noise didn't happen on version prior to 1.31

Tested 120hz modes with vrr. Performance mode big quality drop but quality 120hz looks almost same like 60fps with frames around 100 during timetrials and 60-80 during race, impressive.

Last edited:
There's something fishy with the 120hz option.
Yesterday it worked great, close to 120fps in performance mode in offline races, vrr doing its job (58 fps in menu cafe, why?!).

But today, man I had loads of issues. Stuttering, screen going black, etc. Checked everything (tv, console,etc), restarted everything, nothing worked. My tv showed i was in 120fps mode, and vrr enabled.

Why I think it's the game itself : there was nothing in the 120hz option ingame, all I could see was '--', no activate or deactivate. And whenever the framerate dropped below 120fps, screen would go dark as if VRR was acting crazy.

After many restarts (logical and physical, tv console, games), disable/enable options with my tv, with my ps5, deleting my gt7 save, starting gt7 with 120hz disabled in ps5 settings, I finally was able to see again the 120hz option ingame as it should be (activate/deactivate) and make it work again. Don't know what did the trick tbh... but it is definitely not normal, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bug in this new feature with gt7.

most likely your TV can't do 120hz and its not hdmi 2.1
This. My 65“ Sony(2021 model year) doesn’t support VRR, though I did change a couple settings on my tv. Then, I played on the tv yesterday, since playing a month of PSVR2 and the graphics seem better than before the PSVR2 update.

Hi folks

Thanks
sorry to be a pest but still looking for an answer to bold?

There's something fishy with the 120hz option.
Yesterday it worked great, close to 120fps in performance mode in offline races, vrr doing its job (58 fps in menu cafe, why?!).

But today, man I had loads of issues. Stuttering, screen going black, etc. Checked everything (tv, console,etc), restarted everything, nothing worked. My tv showed i was in 120fps mode, and vrr enabled.

Why I think it's the game itself : there was nothing in the 120hz option ingame, all I could see was '--', no activate or deactivate. And whenever the framerate dropped below 120fps, screen would go dark as if VRR was acting crazy.

After many restarts (logical and physical, tv console, games), disable/enable options with my tv, with my ps5, deleting my gt7 save, starting gt7 with 120hz disabled in ps5 settings, I finally was able to see again the 120hz option ingame as it should be (activate/deactivate) and make it work again. Don't know what did the trick tbh... but it is definitely not normal, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bug in this new feature with gt7.
Agreed I think there are bugs in the implementation for this game specifically. I ran into similar behavior while trying to understand why it was switching to 1080p output when using 1440p mode (see my above post). Only happened with GT7 running, both in game switching to different menus and also switching to PS5 home screen and system settings.

Back