15 Minute Limited Time Trial

• Thread starter Earth
  • 130 comments
GTP_Royalton
From the news section

Introducing the 15 min Limited Time Trial

We will be holding a 3 round, 15min. Limited Time trial in the Gran Turismo Prologue online events.

This is a special event that will only be open for just 15 minutes. The entry car, and the regulations of the course will be displayed in the Online menu of the game when the event opens. We hope you'll take part!

Dates:
Round 1: Saturday July 12, 8:00am (EST), lasting 15 minutes
Round 2: Saturday July 12, 3:00pm (EST), lasting 15 minutes
Round 3: Saturday July 12, 10:00pm (EST), lasting 15 minutes

===================

How boring. How about giving us some endurance races or something other then 3 lap sprints...

This is a good idea as it testes you to perform now, which is a good indicator of how well you can adjust and adapt to the course and car. I like this alot because it prevents players from retrying all week and learning / picking up technique from other player's replays to finally record a better lap. Good drivers will adapt quickly and should be able to record quick laps in 15 mins. I think it's not a good measurement when events go for weeks and allow their replays to be seen so that others have more times to pick up on what they are doing to acheive their best times. I would go as far as limiting the in car replay to keep it legit in the spirit of competition.

I'd vote for them to reset some drift trials and lets do the same thing for drift trials.
Create an online drift trial event with a random car and track and have the ranking trials have an limited open window to run.
15min online event is a good idea.

In GTHD, I used to wait until it was Thursday just 30 mins before they would reset the scores and I'd compete in the GHTD drift trials with the Suzuki Capp and rank 1st. For concecutive weeks that I did this, I owned 1st place everytime. Allowing others to hold the top position for a bit.

To seal the victory, I didn't want my best score to be available so that others could spend all day reviewing my technique and trying to best it. :)

It's like play calling in football. You don't want to start doing things too early to bring out your best, soon others will recognize your plays.

^I dont think being able to quickly adapt to cars and tracks makes you a good driver, its just a handy skill to have and a different style of playing.
You make it sound as if studying the track and improving your technique is somehow cheating, even though thats what drivers do in real life.

However, I do agree it mixes up a bit and will be interesting. I'm also sort of disappointed not to see something new, like maybe at least a 10 lap race or something.

i like it a lot and it is true that it will force you to adapt quick... this should be very fun, i can pick up and drive any car fast after about a lap or two.

^I dont think being able to quickly adapt to cars and tracks makes you a good driver, its just a handy skill to have and a different style of playing.
You make it sound as if studying the track and improving your technique is somehow cheating, even though thats what drivers do in real life.

However, I do agree it mixes up a bit and will be interesting. I'm also sort of disappointed not to see something new, like maybe at least a 10 lap race or something.

I'm not saying it's cheating to study and improve your technique. It'd be crazy to think that.

You have to study and practice to imporove.

What my point is....I think the benefit of limiting the event to 15 minutes is that it simulates the spirit of real competition. By all means, go practice, study tracks. If you don't it's your lost, but when it's time to compete in any real life situation, you don't have retries when you are playing on the stage.

Tiger Woods can't say please allow me to re hit that ball when he slices the ball into the bunker. He practices before hand to learn as would anyone. And when he wins, you know he won because he's good. Sure he's been playing since he was born, but that is what allows him to perform as an athlete under that pressure. That is not cheating. If he's in a tourney and notices that the best way to approach the green was draw the ball to the left of the fairway and then play from the left side after he's already played the hole, you think it's right that he ask to replay that hole?
The point is, there are rules in competition to allow for mistakes and allow for many trials. NBA Playoffs are played best out of 7 and such to allow for others to adapt. This 15 mins event, in my opinion seems to align that same mentality into online time trials, which is what I'm saying is a good idea if you want to see who ranks top of the list. It's a more accurate measurement of skill.

If students were allowed to retake tests after finding out the results, would that be an accurate measurement of how skilled the student was? Come prepared. Professional certification tests have limits too. You fail, you have to wait months before you can retry it and I think it's done to test you.

The purpose of test and trials is to ask you to perform at that moment. You should come prepared (that is not cheating to be prepared), but if it's a test like an online ranking event here, it's good that they are moving towards limited window to rank if they really want an accurate ranking result. This keeps players from having the insight from other drivers to come back and go at it again and again.

I just saw this before and think it's a great idea. shame about the last 2 times though. most will be in no state for a time trial at 3am on sunday morning.

Yeah, we did one of these in Spec I. I can't remember the car (think it was a corvette on N1 around Suzuka) and trek450 came out on top.

Id like to see a car that isnt every where like the jag or DB9 both are really good cars just not quite quick enuf in the current PP config. or the 02 viper <.< I love driving that thing, but again its not as fast as the others in its class as it lacks the power they have.

shame about the last 2 times though. most will be in no state for a time trial at 3am on sunday morning.

Looks like the idea is to have one of the three events at a reasonable time for each continent.

I like the concept of it. It's one thing to spend endless hours trying to get a perfect lap (I actually find that boring), but a completely different thing to only be given a limited time to do so. IMO that's much more closer to a real qualifying session.

I like the concept of it. It's one thing to spend endless hours trying to get a perfect lap (I actually find that boring), but a completely different thing to only be given a limited time to do so. IMO that's much more closer to a real qualifying session.

+1,this is more like from real life.:)

I like it! I usually pull off my best time within 10 minutes and then spend hours trying to work out the kinks and beat that time.

I'm guessing the tracks will be short ones (London, Eiger, Suzuka East) as we only have 15 minutes to put in some fast laps but what about cars?

I can't help thinking they're going to favour 4WD cars to get as much participation as possible:indiff:

Considering how they did the GT Academy thing, they're probably going to use cars that are really slow or really hard to control. They obviously wont be like GT LM on R3, so expect something that nobody uses right now.

Guessing PD wants to test their networking under heavy load, so they're trying to generate as much as possible for a brief period.

Guessing PD wants to test their networking under heavy load, so they're trying to generate as much as possible for a brief period.

sounds likely...
also it could be a test for the 2nd round of gtacadamy...

am very curious what the cars and tracks will be .....
am hoping for something fast/suzuka/rwd/s1 or 2 tyres...👍

spyrrari.

Exactly.

We have to remember that the online section of prologue is still being beta tested by us. They did basic online stuff. Then they introduced worldwide races to test lag. Now they're testing heavy load. Longer races will probably be tested at some point too.

Back