$15k cash. Need me a car. Suggestions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matt R
  • 129 comments
  • 6,436 views
Leonidae: I could show you PICTURES of local wrecked 944's.

but sporty? the only thng I've seen around here lately is a Saturn...and it actually had a stick!
 
I like you're Prelude idea. I've fallen in love with the 92-96 range since driving one.

Maybe a Mustang GT? Camaro SS? Trans Am? C4 Corvette?

C4 Corvette would be a nice one.
 
I would go with the IS300. They are awesome cars.
Or you could go with an Evo or an STI. Everyone thinks that Evos engine is bad but it really isn't in most cases the reason things go sour is they crank the boost way up on the stock turbo or just don't do the right related up grades. Personally I'm not a fan of the flat 4 engine. There are just to many problems with harmonics with a flat engine. I don't know how many Subarus I have seen with bad front crank seals because of it.
 
how about a C-Class W202 Kompressor.
 
I was going to suggest, if you can find one, an S14. Those are pretty sporty... maybe not the newest thing you could buy, but honestly every single one I can recall seeing has been babied and pampered extensively. If you can find one with the SR20DET, which I assume isn't hard to do, you'd be in good shape! A car that weighs 2,800lbs with 250hp and a gigantic variety of mods... that's the most ideal if you're interested in tuning... Rear wheel drive, came with manual trannies, probably pretty easy on the gas with at least a rating of 17mpg, and they're cheap. You can probably find one for less than $5,000 without the swap, or maybe between $5,000-$7,000 with the engine swap. They're pretty rare and exotic in their own right...
 
if it's modded, it usually has been beaten to hell and back. and Autotrader hasn't brought up a single one that hasn't been neglected. rare and exotic? err.. No.
 
Let's resume:

· Under $15000
· Prefer something sporty and quick
· Prefer 2 door instead of 4 door
. AND that does +15 MPG

Try a 2nd hand Camaro.
 
If you are not absolutely wed to the coupe thing, you could pick up an older G35 SEDAN.
not as pretty or as visible as the coupe, but same drivetrain, can be had as a manual (though the manual version is "persnickety" about technique, and is almost as hard on clutches as a 928), plus you can comfortably take a number of friends with on outings.

I am also fond of the Mazda6. It can be had as an I4 or V6 with a manual trans. Though the auto is no slouch. It's reasonably attractive, well equipped even in the base models, a very good, but not stellar handling car. Also gets better than 25 MPG with either motor. And, has a recommendation for regular, not premium fuel.
 
Like I tell everyone in this price bracket:

passat_w8.jpg


Fast. Reliable. Rare. Fun to drive.

That's a Passat W8 for those who can't tell...
 
I hate Kia's but at 4USD a gallon there ok.I think you can find a Kia new for 8k USD and get atleast 30MPG.I hate them,but at gas prices today,when I get a car it will most likely be a Kia :indiff:
 
I hate Kia's but at 4USD a gallon there ok.I think you can find a Kia new for 8k USD and get atleast 30MPG.I hate them,but at gas prices today,when I get a car it will most likely be a Kia :indiff:

Why punish yourself with that? Get a used Civic or Toyota (like a Tercel) and get nearly 40 mpg on the highway and not driving a Kia.

Out of the list put together there, I'd pick the IS300. The big trick is finding one with a manual, but they are out there.
 
I hate Kia's but at 4USD a gallon there ok.I think you can find a Kia new for 8k USD and get atleast 30MPG.I hate them,but at gas prices today,when I get a car it will most likely be a Kia :indiff:

NO! Buy used, not a new Kia.

Kias are crap. (I say that based on just a LITTLE experience working on a Hyundai)
 
why anyone would default to KIA when thinking about getting a stingy sipper i dont know.

when i was at the nissan dealership a few months ago they tried to sell me a sentra se-r. looked kinda cool. not as fast as any of the other cars and its fwd but as far as gas mileage itll do better than anything else suggested.
 
Well I guess driving a Civic is better then Krap I mean Kia:yuck:.Im not a fan of Civics but I dont hate them.

OR...A ownage Mazda :)
 
I would say to check out a GTO but the 2004 barely manages to hit the target price.
 
Like I tell everyone in this price bracket:

passat_w8.jpg


Fast. Reliable. Rare. Fun to drive.

That's a Passat W8 for those who can't tell...

Wow. An 8 cylinder Passat? wtf... :scared:
 
I saw a Pontiac GTO, in a dealer, for $17,995. 300 hp for 18K? Nice...
 
While we're talk'in about American muscle... Maybe you could go a year further in the 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra. V8, Eaton Supercharger, 390hp, 12.9 sec 1/4 mile...

****'in nice. ;)

I think they blue book for around $15,000 in good shape. They're a nice little rarity, being the only SN95 Mustangs to be supercharged out of the box. They were quicker than standard C5 Corvettes, and cheaper.
 
Wow i didnt realise 15k goes along way in America. If thats the case and you can get a Ponitac GTO(new one of course) for that price range do it! Aussie muscle cant go wrong.
 
They don't make them anymore. It would be used. Just looked on eBay motors, and they're going for ~$11K. :eek:

The SVT Cobra also sounds awesome.
 
sLg
They don't make them anymore. It would be used. Just looked on eBay motors, and they're going for ~$11K. :eek:

The SVT Cobra also sounds awesome.

I know they stopped producing the Ponitac GTO because the Holden Monaro ceased production a few years ago but new i meant new shape sorry!

off topic/Actually is the G8 in america yet and if so what is the retail on one of those?
 
Oh, that's what you meant xD. Ok.

The G8 GT costs $29,9(95?)
 
where are you guys finding gtos and svt mustang cobras for UNDER 20k? when i was looking for a car the svts were 25+ in good condition and gtos were all bunched in the low 20s.
 
Mmmmm, Corvette :drool:
The C4 Corvette would perform better than Mustang or GTO, and be cheaper. (Well, the GTO might win, but with a little love in the suspension and engine I'm sure the C4 would king hit it).
 
*eyebrow*
how are you guys affording the insurance on something like a 'Vette or Camaro or a new Goat? especially GUY guys. geeze, I can't get full coverage even now because it would break me.

theFAO: what, you never heard of the W8 engine?!

around here, if it costs less than 10 grand, there's something wrong with the car. if it costs less than 5, there's nothing left holding it together but putty, and it has 4 bald tires and needs everything replaced.
 
*eyebrow*
how are you guys affording the insurance on something like a 'Vette or Camaro or a new Goat? especially GUY guys. geeze, I can't get full coverage even now because it would break me.

as a "guy" with no moving violations, i still wonder why i decided i should finance a sports car. i should have waited until i was 30. i pay 300 a month. sweet!
 
Did you file an insurance claim? Because even if your driving record is clean your insurance record may not be.

I drove a friends car, wrecked it. Talked to her insurance company on the phone once. They paid damages. That was the end of it.

Gil
If you are not absolutely wed to the coupe thing, you could pick up an older G35 SEDAN.
not as pretty or as visible as the coupe, but same drivetrain, can be had as a manual (though the manual version is "persnickety" about technique, and is almost as hard on clutches as a 928), plus you can comfortably take a number of friends with on outings.

I am also fond of the Mazda6. It can be had as an I4 or V6 with a manual trans. Though the auto is no slouch. It's reasonably attractive, well equipped even in the base models, a very good, but not stellar handling car. Also gets better than 25 MPG with either motor. And, has a recommendation for regular, not premium fuel.

Both of these I like. I've found a nice G35 sedan in my area that was black with the tinted windows, nice un-flashy rims, and was smokin. That really got me turned on to it's possibilities. I've always liked the Mazda6. Real nice looking and good fuel economy.

Like I tell everyone in this price bracket:

passat_w8.jpg


Fast. Reliable. Rare. Fun to drive.

That's a Passat W8 for those who can't tell...

That sounds cool! :dopey:

While we're talk'in about American muscle... Maybe you could go a year further in the 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra. V8, Eaton Supercharger, 390hp, 12.9 sec 1/4 mile...

****'in nice. ;)

I think they blue book for around $15,000 in good shape. They're a nice little rarity, being the only SN95 Mustangs to be supercharged out of the box. They were quicker than standard C5 Corvettes, and cheaper.

I've never seen an SVT Cobra for under $20k. Not without a zillion miles on it.


The C4 'vette is appealing as well. 👍
 
As a car buyer that lives in the same area i can tell you half of these car prices everyones giving off are quite off.

You'll find no SVT Cobra's at the price ever, GTO's are still in the 20k's, RX8's you'll find plenty, none of these cars will feature 15+ mpg. No way you'll find any E46 M3 or 350z manuals for 15k.

Having been literally in the position you are in now here are my recommendations.

Previous gen G35 sedan, sport models are great and can be had at that price.
Lexus IS300, It's lexus reliability and somewhat easy on the gas
E46 3's, 330's are rare at 15k but 328's are a dime a dozen, easily gets 25+ MPG for manual in the hands of the right driver.

I ended up with a E36 M3 4 door, probably my best choice at the time. I get 20mpg in Atlanta driving, however if you go for one make sure it is in close to mint with under 100k miles on the clock, wear and tear items and oil changes are not cheap. I spent well over 2000K this year on things wear and tear.
 
As a car buyer that lives in the same area i can tell you half of these car prices everyones giving off are quite off.

You'll find no SVT Cobra's at the price ever, GTO's are still in the 20k's, RX8's you'll find plenty, none of these cars will feature 15+ mpg. No way you'll find any E46 M3 or 350z manuals for 15k.

2004 GTO - under $15000
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/740500366.html

If you look on Autotrader, you will find several under $20000.
 
Back