$15k cash. Need me a car. Suggestions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matt R
  • 129 comments
  • 6,436 views
That looks to be in decent shape, but would you being buying a head unit for the car? Also I wonder why he replaced the stuff
 
DKX
That looks to be in decent shape, but would you being buying a head unit for the car? Also I wonder why he replaced the stuff

Its an old car, of course stuff has to be replaced. Thats a good sign if you're a used car buyer.

That "ABSOLUTELY NO JOY RIDES!" seems a little suspicious.

That means he want serious business, owners of sports cars usually get kids who "look interested" in buying but come for the joy rides.

5,500 is a good price for a VR-4, however not for one that old.
 

There are no miles listed or did I miss it? If you are planning on spending $15k on a car why not get something a big nicer?

That "ABSOLUTELY NO JOY RIDES!" seems a little suspicious.

How about this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/747727765.html

I think it's funny he said it has low miles when it has 119,000. He needs to look at low mileage car and them rewrite his listing. Anytime I look at something low mileage it's typically under 50,000 but more often than not it's under 30,000.
 
I'm a BIG fan of the Mitsu 3000GT VR-4. I'll take that car with any amount of miles, so long as the lister has receipts of the repairs. I only would consider a 3000GT in the 91-93 body style.

Joey, when I see "low mileage", I consider anything under 80k. That's me.

I must likely plan on using craigslist, ebay, and autotrader to find my car. ALL LISTINGS anyone can find are GREATLY appreciated. Traveling 1200+ miles for the purchase of car is not a problem. I think it would be rather cool to buy the car privately and have a time with it for that amount of miles.

Again, ANY and ALL craigslist, ebay, or autotrader listings are GREATLY appreciated. A more real world prospective. The Volvo linked for 13k is wildly entertaining. Not to mention that VW Passat W8. :drool:
 
low miles is now under 100K!

at least somebody made a refrence for the "w" engine I could understand. I had an entirely different configuration in mind...

like this:
O O
O o O
O o O

aw, bugger!
 
Don't get carried away on that Passat W8 folks, imagine the maintenance costs. It would have how many timing chains? What, rare engine? Parts only from Germany- I'm paying freight costs?!

Depends, really. Given that the early cars are getting to the point where miles are going to start dictating more intensive work, nevertheless, the W8 has been a fairly reliable Passat by comparison to the respective 1.8T and VR6 versions made available in the US. I make absolutely no claim of it being "cheap" to repair or to insure... I can attest that it'll likely be the opposite... But it will be far more cheap than a comparable BMW or Mercedes I'm afraid. Particularly models of similar vintage.

I'm a fan of the W8 because its the Passat that everyone forgot. Granted, you can get a lot of the same performance with a VR6 4MOTION model (would require a few modifications), but there is just something "cool" about owning an odd little critter like that. But, then again, there are a lot of good options out there for $15K too. I have noticed that the W8 has been holding its value at that point fairly well (I've never seen one stickered for less than $15K around here), but that may change as well.

The thorn in the side of the W8, at least in my opinion, would be a VR6 4MOTION with a few "moderate" add-ons. Yes, they likely won't have the sick in that form... But with most of the same outward appearance, it would be just as nice, and likely be able to do much more.

377044421_98aae534f1.jpg


...that often comes to mind...
 
Update.

I have reached a number with my insurance company that I am happy with. The money is mine, and I should have check in hand around the start of October.

Now, it's really time to get cracking. My spending limit is still going to be $15,000.

The cars so far that I am very interested in are :

Volvo S60 R
Honda S2000
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX-8
C5 Corvette
Passat W8

I've never had my own car. I really want something slick and sporty. It has GOT to be a manual. I currently can't drive manual, but I'm forcing myself to pick it up now. I won't buy unless it's manual. I of course am looking for something that has got lower miles, especially now that I know I can afford it. I'm starting school in January and I plan on driving something nice.

I guess over all my ramblings, I've got one simple question.

If you had $15,000 to spend on a car, what would it be and why?
 
Last edited:
Of all of those the S2000 is hands down the quintessential sports car, not the most power or fastest, but definitely the most exciting and fun car.
 
the RX-8 is the only one i can see being had easily for 15k.

edit*

other than the c4 vettes and the lexus. but you dont REALLY want those. right?
 
Last edited:
I'd go with the Volvo S60 R, sporty yet comfortable. It also has sufficient room to carry people, has great safety, and in my opinion looks awesome. Top Gear described it as a miniature version of the Rolls-Royce Phantom.

After that I would look at the Infiniti G35.
 
Of all of those the S2000 is hands down the quintessential sports car, not the most power or fastest, but definitely the most exciting and fun car.

I've ridden in a buddies s2000 and was very impressed. This was a few years back, but from what I remember we were taking turns entirely to fast.

the RX-8 is the only one i can see being had easily for 15k.

edit*

other than the c4 vettes and the lexus. but you dont REALLY want those. right?

You've just got to look in the right places. Every car on that list can be found for $15k and under. When you've got cash, it only makes things easier.

I'd go with the Volvo S60 R, sporty yet comfortable. It also has sufficient room to carry people, has great safety, and in my opinion looks awesome. Top Gear described it as a miniature version of the Rolls-Royce Phantom.

After that I would look at the Infiniti G35.

The S60R only recently came to my attention. Actually, it did so in this thread. I love everything about it. Those gauges are to die for as well.

The G35 has been my dream car for years now. But, I'm undecided now seeing as how my options have opened.

Would you recommend a Passat W8 over the S60R?
 
Last edited:
I think finding a Passat W8 over an S60 R is going to be challenging. But if it was my money I would have the Volvo, I went with a buddy of mine to test drive one a little over a year ago when he was looking at cars. I never drove it but I loved it from the passenger seat.
 
I assume it depends on where you are as to whether or not the W8 would be easier to get than an S60R. To be honest, they're both absolutely brilliant family sedans with a bit of gusto under the hood, and I'd be very happy with both (although I'd spring for the V70R instead). I'd have the VW for my biased VW reasons from that list, otherwise, I'd probably go with the S2000 since you're in an area where the weather would allow for it.
 
When I was looking, the only S60R I found was for 23k, and it had way too many miles.

But it may be different in your area.
 
Friend of mine has an S60R... not sure you can afford it, but if you can, don't do it!
 
I think finding a Passat W8 over an S60 R is going to be challenging. But if it was my money I would have the Volvo, I went with a buddy of mine to test drive one a little over a year ago when he was looking at cars. I never drove it but I loved it from the passenger seat.

I'm not worried about the cars location. If I like it enough, I'll travel anywhere in the states to pick it up. Nothing like a road trip in your new car.

I assume it depends on where you are as to whether or not the W8 would be easier to get than an S60R. To be honest, they're both absolutely brilliant family sedans with a bit of gusto under the hood, and I'd be very happy with both (although I'd spring for the V70R instead). I'd have the VW for my biased VW reasons from that list, otherwise, I'd probably go with the S2000 since you're in an area where the weather would allow for it.

As I said to Joey, I'm not worried about the location of the car. I'll pick it up from anywhere. The s2000 is an easy find in my area however.

When I was looking, the only S60R I found was for 23k, and it had way too many miles.

But it may be different in your area.

Here's one on craigslist for $16k and 102,000 miles. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/790301485.html
In an earlier posting in this thread someone found one with 120,000 miles for $12k.

Friend of mine has an S60R... not sure you can afford it, but if you can, don't do it!

Care to elaborate?


Also, what do you guys think about something like this? Linky.

Here's a W8 for under $10k with higher mileage. I've seen some for around $15k in other places with less miles though. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/807329433.html

I also really liked this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...50287813786&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123
 
Last edited:
I'd be diggin' that Vette if she were a manual. If you like auto, then good gravy man, what are you waiting on?
 
I'd be diggin' that Vette if she were a manual. If you like auto, then good gravy man, what are you waiting on?

You can find manuals all day on AutoTrader for the same price. I just used that manual one as an example. It'd def be a manual.
 
Care to elaborate?

Drive one and you'll see - the clutch is atrocious, power delivery is in true turbo style (aka NOTHING down low), handling is unspectacular, ride is harsh. Car is absolutely gorgeous though.
 
I'm very interested in knowing your opinions on the last gen corvette. As of now, the C5 is the most bang for the buck I have been able to find. I seem to be able to find C5 manuals everyplace for $15k and below. Base model tops at 345hp. Less than 5 seconds to 60 if you're able to find a Z06. No room, but lots of bang. 21 year old with a corvette? Feels sort of nice if you ask me.

Anytime I've dreamed of owning a car, I've dreamt of the guys at GTP helping me through the process. I WANT ALL opinions given to me. Negative or positive. I've been a member since I was like 14 or something. I kind of hope to have the enthusiasm shared amongst you as I have reading your responses. Any and everything you smart folks can tell me about any car would be more than greatly appreciated. I'm expecting to get a check cut to me buy mid October. Times a wasting and yours truly is in dire need of expert opinion. That's where you guys come in.

Get to posting, I need each and every one of you in this process. Please help me find a car.

Your respective listenser,

Matt R.
 
Hm...

The 'Vette would probably make you happy, but don't rule out 1996-1998 Mustang Cobras as a cheap, fast, fun car, same with the 2003-2004 Mach 1, or if you can find one, a 2003-4 Cobra.

The s'charged Cobras are about $300-400 away from STOMPING everything in sight in a straight line well enough to keep up around a road course as they aren't too bad handling. Add in a few aftermarket suspension bits and good wheels/tires/brakes and you have a hell of a car for fairly low outlay provided you don't pay through the nose up front. Also, don't get a 'Vert.
 
Ever looked into Subaru WRXs?

Turbocharged, AWD, and good looks (to me at least...)
 
Drive one and you'll see - the clutch is atrocious, power delivery is in true turbo style (aka NOTHING down low), handling is unspectacular, ride is harsh. Car is absolutely gorgeous though.

When did this happen? This thing where you drive stick?
 
I'm very interested in knowing your opinions on the last gen corvette.

I liked it. I've driven a couple of C5s and they have a lot of appeal, mostly in the powertrain dept. Great low end, pretty good throttle response. Great noise. The suspension and tires have a lot of stick, but you're not really sure where you stand because the Vette doesn't tell you much.

The steering is accurate in it that the car goes pretty much where you point it, but offers almost no feedback. It's vague. I mean really vague like the steering isn't really attached to anything. Of course it is, but if you're just driving along, hands on the wheel, the car gives you the same sensations as if you were in a Malibu or Silverado.

But once you pick up speed, the C5 becomes really enjoyable because you can go stupid fast. Good balance at the limit, mostly benign. It's not all that intuitive because you have to trust the car --there is very little feedback about what's going on at the contact patches. But pretty much nothing will touch the performance for the price.

I personally think the C5 is a good looking car. Low, broad and dramatic. The thing about Corvettes is that you have to come to terms with the rental car interior. (Well that and the Nondisclosure Agreement the steering racks have to sign before installation at the factory) If the swaths of cheap plastic and hand-me down switch gear doesn't bother you, then it's a good bet. If you want something more involving to drive, you will have to look elsewhere.

On a personal note, I think Corvettes are a terrible first sports car for a younger driver. Lots of power. Lots of stick from the tires. It's not the sort of car you want to cut your teeth in. It's not a bad handling car or anything, but it's limits are so high, when you DO make a mistake, you will be flying. I think autocross or track time is wise with the purchase of any high performance car regardless of age. For younger drivers, I think it should be mandatory.


M
 
I definately agree with that. By comparison to the Corvette, something like a Miata (or even an S2000? Ha) would be a better alternative simply because they aren't quite as likely to kill you, or worse, someone else.

My love for the Corvette knows no bounds, and while the C5 was the milestone car in making it affordable and competitive with just about anything, it has its drawbacks as well. I'm personally not a big fan of the interior, but given the other GM cars of the era, its not too bad. Part of the problem is that you'll have to look for early C5 models to get them for the price you're looking for, and I'd be looking for later ones for the updates they gave it periodically. I wouldn't go looking for Z06s either... They're great cars, but you can get 9/10ths the gusto with the Z51 or the Magnaride models for a lot less.

The problems you're going to have with the C5 Corvette are generally those you see with all Corvettes... Electrical problems, and general wear and tear that you're going to see when people drive it like it was meant to be driven. Tries are going to be expensive (run-flats across the board as I recall), headlight issues can cost a couple hundred bucks to fix per light (remember, its still a pop-up car), but otherwise you're going to be dealing with otherwise "bulletproof" GM engine and transmission pieces that don't break too easily.

Tread lightly, you can find one that you like. But I don't know if its really the best idea, this of course coming from a "Corvette guy."
 
Back