~$15k Sport Sedan Comparo

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 95 comments
  • 5,349 views

Which one?


  • Total voters
    36
I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but...

Have you considered a CTS? No manumatic mode but from my understanding the auto tranny is very good. They're right near the top end of your price range though, but nice examples can be found for good deals.
 
--- I'm lagging behind on this convo because I'm not in, much, but I agree with Sage regarding the Mazda 6... especially since you're looking at an automatic... Mazdas are trouble enough to maintain with a manual (not horribly so, but they need more love than an Acura), but I have absolutely no love for any automatic tranny that comes out of that company... no love at ALL. They're slow and they break... sometimes even when you're not expecting them to... :ouch:

LS V8? Kinda hard to pick, and you'll have to look up the history of the car... might be more complicated to care for than an Acura or a Lexus.
 
Ghost, I recommended a CTS to him in the previous thread, when he was looking at the Buick. I think he was receptive, but he seems to be looking at cars a notch smaller than that this time around.

Doug, after a night to think, and after reading the additional two pages here, I'm going to solidify my vote for the Acura 3.2TL-S. In your price range you really don't have to look any older than 2003. I think it's far and away the best fit here except possibly the Lincoln LS Sport. I also think it does look better than the CL - I don't quite get the 2-door sedan idea; mostly it is so you don't have to say you drive a 4-door. As neither you nor I feel that stigma, then I heartily recommend skipping the CL. Make sure you get a TL-S, though.

The TL is going to offer a much more solid feel than the Mazda6, inside and out. The interior of the 6 is just a tad on the cheapo side and a bit garish for my taste, unlike the TL-S which is mostly understated luxury. The 6 looks OK but I am not smitten with the styling at all. It's slightly more agressive looking than the TL, but no better looking. The TL's interior and overall build quality of the Acura are a slam dunk over the 6, though, regardless of the actual reliability of the Mazda.

And, yeah, I concede on the older TL vs. newer TSX. Nice as the TSX is, you're getting more for your money with the bigger, more powerful TL-S. Over the next year, as the first round of 36-month TSX leases begin to expire, you're going to see prices edging down.

You really can't beat some of these:
I could go on, but you're getting the point I'm sure. The Lincoln LS is nice, and it's RWD, but I'm not sure it's giving you much value that these TL-Ss are not.

And it's going to be a more satisfying drive than the Regal GS, too.
 
for <$20000 id be looking at a car that handles great and eschews all the badge snobbery youue bouond to run into

a two or three year old MINI cooper S. but only as a stick. why bother with an auto.

It's too slow either way, coming in at about 7.6sec 0-60. It's also too damn small. I definitely understand where you're coming from and I definitely thought about them for a bit, but its size is the eliminating factor, in the end.

Toronado
If he wanted other cars I would have suggested the Z32 300ZX.

You'd recommend a car that's already at least a decade old knowing that I'll be keeping it another decade?!

YSSMAN
My two cents on what has been suggested thus far:

1) My love for GM would certainly push me towards the Grand Prix Comp G for the 3.8L Supercharged V6 and the "TapShift" automatic, but for the most part, I'm not sold on outgoing W-Bodies unless they are post-2005 restyle. The interior quality went up substantially, as did standard equipment and fuel economy. You can find high-spec models on the cheap these days, given the rebates and their rather poor depreciation ratings. It won't be long until you could get a Bonneville GXP (4.0L Northstar V8) or Grand Prix GXP (5.3L V8) on the cheap... Otherwise I'd look for a newer Grand Prix GT, which is essentially the same car as the old Comp G, at a lower price.

I presume you mean 4.6-liter Northstar, and Grand Prix GTP, since the GT is the 205hp 3.8-liter non-supercharged pushrod V6. The reason I'm considering the Comp G is because it's a very performance-oriented vehicle, perhaps moreso than any other vehicle on this list. It's also loaded. And, it has TAPShift. If I wasn't so interested in manumatic, I'd look at a regular Grand Prix GTP.

2) I really like the Mazda 6, don't get me wrong, but not for the length of time you are looking at here. We were looking at buying a 6i not too long ago, and although the sportyness of the car was certainly a plus, I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality, and the ride would eventually get tiresome if you are looking for some levels of comfort. True, agility counts in it's class, and the 6s has it in spades. But overall, you searching for one sans manual transmission raises red flags for me. If you are looking for a sport sedan with an automatic, the 6s is the wrong place to shop.

That's a really interesting comment, YSSMAN. The 6 seems to be generating a lot of division. I guess I must drive it in order to determine how I feel, because you guys have very different opinions.

(You may want to check out the "sporty" Kia Optima. It is essentially the same car [think Impala vs Grand Prix], but with more sport baked-in)

Fair, but remember that the Optima came out in 2006.5, so they're hard to find used (not only because they're just-out but because searching for a "2006 Optima" yields both new and old models :rolleyes:). I'd be more apt to get an Optima than a Sonata, indeed, but I don't think I'll be able to find one.

There are a wide range of engines and transmissions to choose from here, certainly one that can match your budget and offer the kind of performance you are looking for. Obviously on the high-end of things there is the Passat W8 (my personal favorite), dealer retail knocking on the $20K door for a 2003 model (last year was 2004). You are getting German-grade quality here, which can be hit or miss in some cases. The best part of the deal is of course the 270 BHP W8, and with the optional 5-speed Triptronic, you are good for about 20/27 MPG. And with the added 4MOTION AWD, you are going to get plenty of traction in the snow.

No Passats. The W8 is WAY too expensive, with a first-year model averaging $21,137 right now. The V6 is way too slow, as is the four-cylinder. Really, why get a Passat when I could have the TL-S, which is way more powerful and has more features. Don't even get me started on Volkswagen reliablity, either.

Ghost C
Have you considered a CTS? No manumatic mode but from my understanding the auto tranny is very good. They're right near the top end of your price range though, but nice examples can be found for good deals.

No manumatic, too slow. Remember, for its first year, 2003, the CTS wasn't available with the stunning 3.6-liter engine it uses now; instead it used a 220hp 3.2-liter V6 (0-60 in mid-sevens), and even those are averaging $21,100 right now - way too high.

niky
LS V8? Kinda hard to pick, and you'll have to look up the history of the car... might be more complicated to care for than an Acura or a Lexus

Indeed, and the V8 was designed by Jaguar, so it just screams trouble.
 
You'd recommend a car that's already at least a decade old knowing that I'll be keeping it another decade?!
Come now. $20,000 could buy you probably the best damned 300ZX 2+2 in the country, and I'm sure even a ratty one will last forever.
 
Doug, after a night to think, and after reading the additional two pages here, I'm going to solidify my vote for the Acura 3.2TL-S. In your price range you really don't have to look any older than 2003. I think it's far and away the best fit here except possibly the Lincoln LS Sport. I also think it does look better than the CL - I don't quite get the 2-door sedan idea; mostly it is so you don't have to say you drive a 4-door. As neither you nor I feel that stigma, then I heartily recommend skipping the CL. Make sure you get a TL-S, though.

Okay - for right now, the TL-S is going to be the car I pitch to my parents. Lord only knows if they're going to think it's too quick. I am also going to have to test drive some other cars. I'm going to drive the IS300 and Mazda 6, as per the comments in this thread. I personally am intrigued by the Galant so if I can find one, I'll drive it, but I'm skipping the CL, Grand Prix, and Solara. I'm considering the Lincoln, but not to a huge degree. I will have a decision made by the end of the year, which is less than eight weeks away, even though the car won't likely be purchased for a few months past that.

And Duke - how do you feel about the automatic 2001 Lexus IS300? Do you like the handling of the vehicle?
 
by the way, that budget encompasses some 500E models of the W124.

limited. partly porsche built. 322hp. pure wolf in sheeps clothing. whats not to love.
 
An expanded view on the Mazda 6:

At the time when I was looking at the car, there were several other models we were considering at the time, including the Honda Accord LX and the Chevrolet Malibu LT3. The 6i was indeed a very different car as Mazda had promised, offering a very distinct style both inside and outside of the car. I loved the gauges, and the grippy cloth seats. The manumatic transmission seemed to work out pretty well, and the engine was definitely very responsive and powerful enough to seem like a V6 compared to the Camry we were looking to replace.

The ride was good, and you could pick up on the sporty preferences that Mazda has. For me and my then 18 year old body, it was nothing too bad. But for my Mom, who was about 44 at the time, it was a bit too rough, particularly on highway drives. It wasn't overly rough, but going from a Camry to a 6i is a bit of a jump. Turn-in was crisp, and steady cornering was a great feeling in the car, as roll control seem to be strapped down and addressed well. Again, a big difference between a 6i and a Camry.

...You are going to have to drive it to get what you think out of it. If indeed the 6s is meant to be a bit more sporty, I can't be certain of what exactly would happen there...
 
Come now. $20,000 could buy you probably the best damned 300ZX 2+2 in the country, and I'm sure even a ratty one will last forever.

And not only is it way too old, but I'd be completely uninsurable on the vehicle.

neanderthal
by the way, that budget encompasses some 500E models of the W124.

limited. partly porsche built. 322hp. pure wolf in sheeps clothing. whats not to love.

Only its age. If it was my money, the W124 500E would be number two on my list, behind the '97-'01 740i. But my parents would never go for buying a mid-1990s anything, particularly a Mercedes, no matter how reliable I tell them it is.

YSSMAN
It wasn't overly rough, but going from a Camry to a 6i is a bit of a jump.

I have to think the Lexus would be even more rough than the Mazda, though. I think you might think it's rough just because the Camry is so... not rough.
 
...I'm attempting to think back to the IS300 that I drove, and it didn't seem overly bad in any way. Of course I'm young, so it would have to be pretty bad for me to notice anything. I do remember liking the 328i we looked at better than the IS300, but thats more of a personal taste thing than anything else.
 
And not only is it way too old, but I'd be completely uninsurable on the vehicle.
Irrelevant anyways, as I wasn't actually suggesting it, but whatever. I disagree with you and we'll leave it at that.
 
Irrelevant anyways, as I wasn't actually suggesting it, but whatever. I disagree with you and we'll leave it at that.

You think I would be insurable?

Would you have suggested a turbo?
 
You think I would be insurable?
Would you have suggested a turbo?
The first question depends on many factors.
On the second question, no, I wouldn't have suggested the turbo because it is faster than it needs to be to meet your criteria. The N/A model is plenty fast to meet your criteria.
 
The first question depends on many factors.
On the second question, no, I wouldn't have suggested the turbo because it is faster than it needs to be to meet your criteria. The N/A model is plenty fast to meet your criteria.

I'm a college student. And I got a ticket doing 76 in a 35. So...

I think even if you eliminated the second thing, I wouldn't be insurable.

The naturally-aspirated one isn't quicker than my Volvo was, to my knowledge. It's definitely quicker than some of the cars up there, though.

It's just too old. Even if I got a low-mileage '96, it'd be five years older than the IS300, which is already two years older than the SUV my parents want me to take on reliability grounds (or the Acura I'd rather have).
 
...and frankly, I think some people have a rose-tinted view of how reliable Nissans are in general and the 300ZX in specific.
 
...and frankly, I think some people have a rose-tinted view of how reliable Nissans are in general and the 300ZX in specific.
I've honestly never heard very good things about Nissan reliability, to tell the truth. However, if I was to choose any of the cars mentioned in this thread (and remember, I'm not Doug, so I'd want a stick) I would choose the 300ZX because I think it is a great car.
Anyways, back on topic, I voted for the Lexus, but the TL/CL are also very fine automobiles, and the Hyundai is new enough that it would still have most of its warranty left.
 
I'd take the IS300 from ones on that list. I'm a Toyota guy, and I love RWD, so that takes the cake right there.

I saw the Legacy mentioned earlier. While its not a Legacy, the Outback is basically the same form, and my dad has the 2.5 XT limited '05. I know for a fact its out of the price range, but Subaru did a very good job with the tiptronic system. If you can find a turbo legacy for the right price, I'd say go for it.

In all honesty though, you being a college student, I'd say go find a Corolla XRS and have some fun. I've got a 99, and it makes for a pretty decent car for around town and trips. Yes, I would rather have a Lexus (the new IS350 ;) ) but price wise, can't got wrong on the Corolla.

And learn to drive stick. It sucks at first, but once you get use to it you will not want to bother with an auto for years. Unless it has an extremely nice tiptronic. And Mercedes' tiptronic system did not work for me. I drove a c230 Kompressor, and it was just bleh.

Oh, and another mention, though FWD and Nissan, is the Infinti G20, though I forgot when they stopped making them.
 
I've honestly never heard very good things about Nissan reliability, to tell the truth. However, if I was to choose any of the cars mentioned in this thread (and remember, I'm not Doug, so I'd want a stick) I would choose the 300ZX because I think it is a great car.


I just don't understand. You'd get the car despite the knowledge that you're keeping it through 2014 and with the knowledge that it's not very reliable? And given that you know the cost of insurance, too? Is there something I'm missing? I'm really just trying to understand your point of view, here, not drag this out - are you thinking from a rational point of view, or are you just getting the car on more emotional grounds?

Azuremen
I saw the Legacy mentioned earlier. While its not a Legacy, the Outback is basically the same form, and my dad has the 2.5 XT limited '05. I know for a fact its out of the price range, but Subaru did a very good job with the tiptronic system. If you can find a turbo legacy for the right price, I'd say go for it.

The only Legacy turbos I'll be finding for that price are missing portions and have salvage titles. :D

In all honesty though, you being a college student, I'd say go find a Corolla XRS and have some fun. I've got a 99, and it makes for a pretty decent car for around town and trips. Yes, I would rather have a Lexus (the new IS350 ) but price wise, can't got wrong on the Corolla.

But I'm still not understanding this. If I got the TL, I'd have an older car, yes - but a cheaper one that's quicker, has more features, and handles similarly if not better. The Corolla's sole advantage is that it's newer - an advantage more suited to a non-car person whose sole concern is reliability. Do you know what I mean? I'd trade a bit of age for a much better car - wouldn't you?

And learn to drive stick. It sucks at first, but once you get use to it you will not want to bother with an auto for years. Unless it has an extremely nice tiptronic. And Mercedes' tiptronic system did not work for me. I drove a c230 Kompressor, and it was just bleh.

Oh, and another mention, though FWD and Nissan, is the Infinti G20, though I forgot when they stopped making them.

G20 stopped in 2002, but it's way too slow anyway. They are unbelievably reliable, though. As for learning to drive manual, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a better car I could be looking at if I learned. As I said, the only two I know of are the '02-'03 Maxima and the '02-'03 WRX, neither of which are worth learning to drive manual given my present choices.
 
The Corolla actually is fun to drive. And the 40 MPG is plus as well.

But do what I do. Have two cars. A newish but less fun daily (my Corolla) and an older and much more fun, yet very unpractical car (My MkI MR2 with its huge list of mods). Thats how I handled things.

And yes, a 4 door is EXTREMELY nice to have. I had a Tercel first, and when I got the Corolla, life became alot easier.

The Acura TL is a solid pick as well. I just really prefer my RWD for sporty cars too much these days. I personally prefer the TSX's styling, but I can't remember your verdict on it.
 
As for learning to drive manual, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a better car I could be looking at if I learned. As I said, the only two I know of are the '02-'03 Maxima and the '02-'03 WRX, neither of which are worth learning to drive manual given my present choices.
Well you could get a 3.2 CL type S with a six speed, which would all of a sudden become far-and-away the best choice.

Or you could get the IS300 with a stick (I think they had both 5 and 6 speeds).

Or you could get the Mazda 6s with a stick.

And, from my point of view, these 3 would then be the best possible options if they were on the poll.

Hell, if you asked me to choose between the cars on the poll, all of which have auto, and my car, I would still rather have my car, because it is a stick, even though it would be the cheapeast, smallest, and least luxurious choice.

EDIT: Plus, it's not like you need a whole lot of skill to drive stick.
 
The Corolla actually is fun to drive. And the 40 MPG is plus as well.

Fair, but remember I'm not paying for gas, and the XRS is rated at 25/32, not 40. Obviously a base Corolla wouldn't be fun at all for me to drive.

But do what I do. Have two cars. A newish but less fun daily (my Corolla) and an older and much more fun, yet very unpractical car (My MkI MR2 with its huge list of mods). Thats how I handled things.

A parking spot on campus is $600, so two would be $1,200 not to mention insurance with my driving record. So that's not happening yet. :lol:

The Acura TL is a solid pick as well. I just really prefer my RWD for sporty cars too much these days. I personally prefer the TSX's styling, but I can't remember your verdict on it.

Too slow. I prefer its styling as well; it's gorgeous. 👍

Skip0110
Well you could get a 3.2 CL type S with a six speed, which would all of a sudden become far-and-away the best choice.

Or you could get the IS300 with a stick (I think they had both 5 and 6 speeds).

These two are both eliminated on the grounds that they're too expensive. Remember, Lexus refused to release the IS300 with a manual transmission, so manuals didn't come out until 2002 - and those are hovering around $18,500 presently. The CL-S is excruciatingly rare as a manual, but even if I could find one, they're '03-only, and they too are going for around $18,500 now. I personally don't want to spend more than $16,000; $16,500 at the very most.

The Mazda 6 is possible, but I'd rather have an automatic TL or IS than any 6. Then again, I'm saying that without driving it, so I might change my mind.

The truth is, for other reasons, I don't think I'll ever have a manual daily driver.
 
I just don't understand. You'd get the car despite the knowledge that you're keeping it through 2014 and with the knowledge that it's not very reliable? And given that you know the cost of insurance, too? Is there something I'm missing? I'm really just trying to understand your point of view, here, not drag this out - are you thinking from a rational point of view, or are you just getting the car on more emotional grounds?
Emotional grounds. I know it isn't a car for rational minds, and I'd truthfully probably be better off with my current car through 2014; but the 300ZX (in both Z31 and Z32 forms) is a car I've adored since my childhood, and furthermore my grandfather used to own one. Then I learned of all of the cool technology related stuff it had in it.
 
EDIT: Plus, it's not like you need a whole lot of skill to drive stick.
No. And Doug, after while, it is pretty much automatic. Like riding a bike, you don't even think about it most of the time. It can be a pain in the ass during a bumper-to-bumper traffic, but it is far more rewarding than the automatic transmission.

You stick with automatics, if you want. No pun intended. I just wanted to give you my input. :)
 
...I've been stuck on manual transmissions since my first car ('93 VW Fox), and I can't stand driving anything with an automatic these days. There just isn't any involvement, and it totally sucks. Most of the time I don't even think about shifting, you just listen for the note, and go through the motions.

...The only time I ever didn't like having a stick was when I was stuck in a traffic jam on the southeast side of Chicago. Bumper to bumper for about 45 mins isn't very comfortable, and the clutch got stiff quite quickly. And I guess the time I had the Porsche after the bike race wasn't too great either, but if my legs weren't so sore, it would have gone over a lot better...
 
Ditto on autos... not to slam Doug's choice, but I can't stand that press-and-wait feeling when trying to overtake... :lol:

About the only way I'd take the Mazda6 is in MT. :) Comfort is a matter of taste, yes... when I drove it, it felt a lot like my Protege MP3-based car, stiff, connected (heck, the steering even felt just as good) and in touch with the road. But the tire noise (given enough time, you can tell the brand of cigarette you've just driven over) and stiffness are worlds away from the Accord and Camry. I could personally live with it, but I can understand why so many people don't feel like doing that day-in and day-out.
 
Doug, I think you are too hung up on straight line acceleration. I mean, I started with a Tercel, with an AWESOME 84 HP :p And I did autocross it, and I learned alot.

And I failed to clarify I have a base model Corolla with about 125 ish HP.

About the insurance. My MR2 costs the same as my Tercel did for liabilaty (spelling?) only, which is all you should bother with on an older car anyhow. And it is affordable, even with the accident (my fault) and a speeding ticket (I think its still on my record). Now thats not 76 in a 35 (I thought that was reckless and license go bye bye speeding), but I imagine my premiums could be similar.

Other benefit to getting a cheap ass car is you can roll it, trash it, jump it, and basically go balls out in it and not care if you damage it. Because it only costs a few grand, versus 15 grand. Once you get the hang of drifting, rallying and so on, then you get a nice car and you can drive it with alot more control. ;)
 
A parking spot on campus is $600, so two would be $1,200 not to mention insurance with my driving record. So that's not happening yet. :lol:

Sucks, doesn't it? I'm in the same problem, pretty much, although I've got an apartment off-campus. I'm probably gonna end up getting a motorcycle instead of a project car, just because I can park it sideways the carport and park the suby behind it. (Fortunately, our carports are big enough to fit a midisize SUV, so a bike plus a small sedan will fit. My neighbor does the same thing with his CBR600RR and his Protege 5.)
 
I'm lucky enough to be renting a house with a garage. Its just barely a two car, so it normally gets one of the MR2's in the middle with tools and parts everywhere else.

But yeah, on campus parking is a PITA around here too... I tend to just illegally park when I must and take the 10 dollar fine that comes up if I get caught.
 
Only $10? Damn &#8211; my high school had $20 parking tickets (which I received once). At UCSD, a normal citation is $20&#8211;60, but some of the tickets go above $300.
 
Back