~$15k Sport Sedan Comparo

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 95 comments

Which one?

• Total voters
We have $80 tickets here at Aquinas for those who don't have a parking pass, and it is a poor excuse not to. They are free for anyone who is a student, and even if you had to park nearby the school, you could just go across the street if it is a huge problem...

Well, they are normally 20, but if you pay them within 24 hours, its half. Some fines do go up to like 80 around here as well, but parking passes still cost quite a bit, even for the crappy half mile away spots...

That's basically my line of thinking on the issue too. But, the engine it uses was cancelled so I'm afraid parts will eventually become in short supply.
There's plenty of parts to go around, and in many cases, if you want performance-related aftermarket parts, there's plenty of those, too. If you have to do a bit of mountain road or hill climbing, the 2JZ motor has great torque from 3000-4500 rpm. I only wish the roads here allowed me to use that part of the sweet spot...

The interior trim is always top-notch; however, I've noticed that people who wear lots of jewlery tend to scratch the metalic-painted or black plastic trim after a few years. But the seats are firm, bolster you in all the right places, I never seen one that was ripped at the seams or torn from normal use. The steering is damn near inch-perfect (why the competing 3-series BMW took the way-too-light steering route is beyond my ken).

There's a few little issues with the car: 1) CD players seem to have less tolerance than other Lexuses. Some home-burnt disks are a wee too thick to fit in the loading slot, and it will jam the unit. Never use one with a label or decal pressed on it, it's guaranteed to cause a problem with the IS's CD player. 2) Clicking noises in the lower right of the dashboard. A/C servo mix (mode and temperature) motors tend to bind. They rarely cause actual performance A/C problems, though. 3) Oxygen and Air/Fuel sensors burn out quite frequently on every Lexus product, especially more recent cars. A used one is no exception. Any other major issues (clutch, tires, some interior trim) are wear issues that can be affected by the driver's habits.

The only downside of the IS to the rest of the cars in this comparison, is that the IS tends to go through tires; 15,000 miles is an average, but if you always keep the car aligned, the tire pressures right, and rotated on time, it's a small price to pay for it's best-in-this-group handling. However, 17" tires are getting less and less expensive (you might say 17s are the new 15s).

So what if the styling is dated? I prefer to own something that has a lot less flash. Beauty and flash is great for that other guy's car, I say.

To be on the safe side I'll get one with an extended warranty, if keeping it until 2014. Seven more years is a lot to ask on any used car (and driver), though.

GTP signed me out as I was typing, but I said the following things:

1. I want an automatic because I enjoy cruising, and sometimes I don't want to have a "rewarding experience," which is why manumatic is the best of all worlds.
2. I like the on-campus parking fees, because it keeps the poor students away. Haha, just kidding - but in the same vein, I like it because it's a limiter of the number of cars on the campus, meaning parking spots are always relatively easy to come by.
3. Thanks, FormulaNone, for reviewing the IS300. My only complaints are its trashy manumatic, its slightly slower acceleration, and its yellow fog lights. I prefer the styling to the other cars I'm considering. I wasn't too serious about it until this thread, but you guys have changed that a bit. We'll see.

Effing dammit – so after making a post about parking tickets, I get $140 in tickets for parking in a metered spot for a week. The spot was marked for students, so I thought it was okay to park with just a permit, but apparently there are time provisions for that situation. Stupid piece of eff.

Back