1st PS3 Review

persiano_dubai

(Banned)
persiano_dubai
What you will read is a result of my first experience with the F1 2010. I played for about 3 hours b4 turning 2 bed (it was 6 AM b4 I knew it lol)... Enjoy

The moment you put in the F1 2010 BD and it starts installing you feel something special is about to come your way. In fact the install process is rather fast and not like many many other Ps3 titles I have played.

Intro about myself

Before i start giving details into this let me tell you a little bit about my gaming experience. I started car games with NFS 1 and 2 and so on. The moment I fell in love with racing titles was the first time I played a demo of a game called Gran Turismo on a Black DEMO cd of PS1. I bet this is bringing some good old memories back to mind. There and then I said I need it and I want it. So started a good relationship with racing games. The most titles I have played so far is GT4 on my ps2 and lately on my ps3.

I actually really started enjoying racing games once my playseat arrived from the USA. Matched with a G25 wheel, pedal and gear and with a Panasonic 42" Plasma HD with 5.1 surround, this is my sanctuary. I sit and play for hours and hours before noticing its turned day or night. As many of you I have been biting my nails for 5 long years for the release of you know what.

So in the mean while I got occupied by many great titles. Some that I loved were GRID, Sega Rally, NFS undercover, and finally NFS shift. (of course GT5P is on that list) So getting F1 2010 as early as possible was a must for me.

Back to F1 2010

So enough of the boring stuff and lets get back to this title. The moment it starts you smile , because you just have to. Once you go through some of the options and get familiar with the press and choose your team you will head out to a nice area that is like your home location. From there you can see your and other peoples progress and points, etc. But going to a weekend is what I actually did the first time rather than jumping to a new car as Vettel or Hamilton. So the moment the cars comes out of that pit is just AWESOME. The graphics are unbelievable, the sound is super realistic and the animation seems very smooth.

The moment you come out of the pits you will and comes the first corner (Bahrain) you will have your first spin. Especially if you turn off all your drivers aids. So I started off like a noob for the reason that I am actually a noob at F1. AUTO BREAK - OFF, ABS - ON, TCS - MED, RACING LINE - ALWAYS, GEARBOX - SEQUENTIAL. Well we will call this semi noob. Once you get around a few laps and get comfortable with your steering wheel controls and decide on which angle you want to view (I prefer the overhead cam for now till I know the track inside out). You now feel ready to take on a challenge and set some good lap times. So you start to push and push and push untill ...

Oops ... Framerates dropped ... The faster you go , the more feels that this game was not entirely ready and they wanted to sell as many copies as possible before the competition took their sales away (you know who I mean :). The constant animation mishap in your rear view mirror and the pit stop bugs and the sudden movements of other cars on the circuit as if you are running on a slow LAN will confirm that. Ok, enough bad stuff ! That is all the bad I have to say about this game ... I think a few patches later on we will see all these issues resolved. Maybe my PS3 is old now and cant handle the pressure (Original FAT 60 GB). Id certainly like to think so !

But any ways, I said that because I am realistic and not a fanboy. I tend to see both sides of the coin and every beauty has a certain ugliness attached to it somehow. Moving On to the game I feel that this game is as realistic as possible. It just makes you understand just how hard it is to concentrate on the circuit, the rivals behind you, the opponents in front of you, the corner ahead, the tire and engine temps, the engineer speaking to you, the gear you are in, the gear you need to be in a few seconds, when you need to pit in, the weather condition, your lap time, and so much more you will not believe it !

This is a day in the life of an F1 driver. This game is all about that and it delivers this 100% to the details. I would recommend this game to any F1 lover or racing driver. But dont think for one second that you can simply get in an F1 car and just drive.

Have patience, patience and more patience. Learn each track before attempting to drive really fast. In the end I have to say that if you think this game has alot of issues to be fixed I say YES ... BUT know that the development has not taken 5 years to perfection. Things will get better over time, I am hopeful about that.

If you have any comments or questions feel free to ask me and I hope my review has given you a good bit of info both about the good and the bad of this game.

Last edited:
The constant animation mishap in your rear view mirror and the pit stop bugs and the sudden movements of other cars on the circuit as if you are running on a slow LAN will confirm that.

Thanks for this first PS3 review.
After watching a lot of gameplay vids I was actually a bit worried about AI, looks like I wasn't totally wrong. :(

What about the audio options, can you adjust your engine volume to make it sound higher than the other cars'?

well with the bugs being able to be pointed out in 6 hours it seems like they were not able to do a bunch of testing. that's why the fanatec wheels are "officially" compatible. hopefully i read some news about up coming patches. till then i will be holding off a little on this purchase. not to mention i know 2011 will be coming out the same time next year :-/. (i hate yearly games! it ruins it)

What you will read is a result of my first experience with the F1 2010. I played for about 3 hours b4 turning 2 bed (it was 6 AM b4 I knew it lol)... Enjoy

The moment you put in the F1 2010 BD and it starts installing you feel something special is about to come your way. In fact the install process is rather fast and not like many many other Ps3 titles I have played.

Intro about myself

Before i start giving details into this let me tell you a little bit about my gaming experience. I started car games with NFS 1 and 2 and so on. The moment I fell in love with racing titles was the first time I played a demo of a game called Gran Turismo on a Black DEMO cd of PS1. I bet this is bringing some good old memories back to mind. There and then I said I need it and I want it. So started a good relationship with racing games. The most titles I have played so far is GT4 on my ps2 and lately on my ps3. I actually really started enjoying racing games once my playseat arrived from the USA. Matched with a G25 wheel, pedal and gear and with a Panasonic 42" Plasma HD with 5.1 surround, this is my sanctuary. I sit and play for hours and hours before noticing its turned day or night. As many of you I have been biting my nails for 5 long years for the release of you know what. So in the mean while I got occupied by many great titles. Some that I loved were GRID, Sega Rally, NFS undercover, and finally NFS shift. (of course GT5P is on that list) So getting F1 2010 as early as possible was a must for me.

Back to F1 2010

So enough of the boring stuff and lets get back to this title. The moment it starts you smile , because you just have to. Once you go through some of the options and get familiar with the press and choose your team you will head out to a nice area that is like your home location. From there you can see your and other peoples progress and points, etc. But going to a weekend is what I actually did the first time rather than jumping to a new car as Vettel or Hamilton. So the moment the cars comes out of that pit is just AWESOME. The graphics are unbelievable, the sound is super realistic and the animation seems very smooth. The moment you come out of the pits you will and comes the first corner (Bahrain) you will have your first spin. Especially if you turn off all your drivers aids. So I started off like a noob for the reason that I am actually a noob at F1. AUTO BREAK - OFF, ABS - ON, TCS - MED, RACING LINE - ALWAYS, GEARBOX - SEQUENTIAL. Well we will call this semi noob. Once you get around a few laps and get comfortable with your steering wheel controls and decide on which angle you want to view (I prefer the overhead cam for now till I know the track inside out). You now feel ready to take on a challenge and set some good lap times. So you start to push and push and push untill ... Oops ... Framerates dropped ... The faster you go , the more feels that this game was not entirely ready and they wanted to sell as many copies as possible before the competition took their sales away (you know who I mean :). The constant animation mishap in your rear view mirror and the pit stop bugs and the sudden movements of other cars on the circuit as if you are running on a slow LAN will confirm that. Ok, enough bad stuff ! That is all the bad I have to say about this game ... I think a few patches later on we will see all these issues resolved. Maybe my PS3 is old now and cant handle the pressure (Original FAT 60 GB). Id certainly like to think so ! But any ways, I said that because I am realistic and not a fanboy. I tend to see both sides of the coin and every beauty has a certain ugliness attached to it somehow. Moving On to the game I feel that this game is as realistic as possible. It just makes you understand just how hard it is to concentrate on the circuit, the rivals behind you, the opponents in front of you, the corner ahead, the tire and engine temps, the engineer speaking to you, the gear you are in, the gear you need to be in a few seconds, when you need to pit in, the weather condition, your lap time, and so much more you will not believe it ! This is a day in the life of an F1 driver. This game is all about that and it delivers this 100% to the details. I would recommend this game to any F1 lover or racing driver. But dont think for one second that you can simply get in an F1 car and just drive. Have patience, patience and more patience. Learn each track before attempting to drive really fast. In the end I have to say that if you think this game has alot of issues to be fixed I say YES ... BUT know that the development has not taken 5 years to perfection. Things will get better over time, I am hopeful about that.

If you have any comments or questions feel free to ask me and I hope my review has given you a good bit of info both about the good and the bad of this game.

I would read it but i got lost.

Would've like a break there somewhere :dopey:

Ok guys ... I hope this will help ur questions:

1. What about the audio options, can you adjust your engine volume to make it sound higher than the other cars'? - I did not play with it ! It sounds good and does not annoy you as u will be concentrated mostly on ur own engine buzz and it wont affect ur performance as much ... But Ill double check that 4 u

2. Would've like a break there somewhere - Ur feedback is highly appreciated ! I wrote this in such a hurry and with such enthusiasm that I forgot my punctuation and breathing in the middle - Fixed it for u

3. what do you mean whit pitstop bugs. what goes wrong? - Well nothing goes wrong really ... Its just that the animation kind of goes weird when pitting in and out and u feel that its a glitch! for example sudden change of steering wheel from one frame to the next without a smooth transition ! and the Lollypop guy seems to give way 2 the whole world and everyone passes u b4 u can get out of the pit ... same goes for when coming out of garage for the P1 & P2 & Q1, etc ... They always manage to be extra cautious...

1 more point Id like to add is that a very tiny Fender bump will cause u a 10 Sec grid penalty which is totally unfair coz its just part of the race .. and if its not serious it should be a warning , 2nd warning, 3rd warning , then a penalty ! ... and the stwearts seem to react pretty fast to the situation (almost instant which kills some of the reality) and I dont want to dissapoint u but the forcefeedback on the G25 even @ full is nothing compared to NFS Shift or GT5 where u can break ur arms ! I think its not 100% supported YET

Can you turn penalties off?

They sucked in F1CE(or suck as Im not getting 2010 til Friday). Schumacher always crashes into you and in recovering to the track you get an absurd time penalty. Or when you make a genuine mistake upon turning in and cut an early apex, costing you time, you get a penalty. Its really frustrating and spoils the enjoyment. I turned penalties off as soon as my first season was over.

Last edited:
nope ... i did not c that option anywhere
you can turn them to another setting which is pretty hard to get any penalties,unless you repeatedly cut corners. Driving around the circuit backwards will still get you disqualified tho:crazy:

This game runs at 30fps and it shows... I felt a little disappointed with the graphics, all of those internet videos looked gorgeous, maybe that was the PC version...

I bought it yesterday and I played until I couldn't bear the pain in my right arm, F1 driving is very hard on you, even with a game. I played in expert mode (no driving aids) and I liked a lot the understeer under heavy braking and that is so easy to spin out coming out of corners if you are not kind with the gas.

Starts are kinda weird, as you start with first gear engaged, you can't go back to neutral and starts is just a matter of hitting the gas until your car starts to move. I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't find the advanced setting screens...

Anyhow, after the disappointing with graphics I kinda enjoyed a 10 laps race in Bahrain, where I drove a Toro Rosso, starting in 17th possition after a 5 places penalty, beware with the marshalls, they see everything and they are ruthless!

Also, graphically, cars seem to "float", and like has been said before in the thread, rear view mirror graphics seem like from Crammond's F1GP!

I hope they patch this game soon, it has lots of possibilities (you have to like F1 style driving, though, you can't relax here, it is quite stressful), if done right.

This game runs at 30fps and it shows... I felt a little disappointed with the graphics, all of those internet videos looked gorgeous, maybe that was the PC version...

I bought it yesterday and I played until I couldn't bear the pain in my right arm, F1 driving is very hard on you, even with a game. I played in expert mode (no driving aids) and I liked a lot the understeer under heavy braking and that is so easy to spin out coming out of corners if you are not kind with the gas.

Starts are kinda weird, as you start with first gear engaged, you can't go back to neutral and starts is just a matter of hitting the gas until your car starts to move. I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't find the advanced setting screens...

Anyhow, after the disappointing with graphics I kinda enjoyed a 10 laps race in Bahrain, where I drove a Toro Rosso, starting in 17th possition after a 5 places penalty, beware with the marshalls, they see everything and they are ruthless!

Also, graphically, cars seem to "float", and like has been said before in the thread, rear view mirror graphics seem like from Crammond's F1GP!

I hope they patch this game soon, it has lots of possibilities (you have to like F1 style driving, though, you can't relax here, it is quite stressful), if done right.

Just a few first impressions after a couple of hours lapping at Spa & Bahrain.

Graphics.

Immediate impression: VERY disappointing. Very bland-looking & not very detailed (this is on PS3). Certainly not anywhere near GT5P, nor as good as Shift IMO. I would say, in many ways not as good as F1CE. However, it's difficult to make a direct comparison, because the style of graphics is so different. Where F1CE is colour-saturated, F1 2010 has a bleached look.

In any case, after a while of playing, you adjust to the look & it's fine. But I would definitely say that, on the PS3 at any rate, the graphics are certainly not ground-breaking in any way.

Physics.

Again very different feeling compared to F1CE. I find you really have to be pushing the cars hard before you start to get a true feel for the physics, & I'm not there yet. However, it does feel like there is "more going on" in F1 2010 than in F1CE. The cars skid out fairly readily & the steering feels a little more nuanced than in F1CE. In particular, the cars understeer noticeably - it's easy to plough through a corner if you don't know the braking point.

FFB.

Pretty good. Again has a more nuanced feel than F1CE, but I really miss the "bumpy" FFB of F1CE. And it's not FC or SCC by any means.

Sound.

Definitely prefer the sound of F1CE.

Gameplay.

No real comments yet, but one thing I noticed is that the cars are VERY difficult to drive in the cockpit view which feels extremely low to the ground. After a while I switched to the T cam view & found it much more comfortable to use, however obviously not as "realistic" as the true cockpit view.

Ok, thanks guys, apparently this game would need a HUGE massive patch... Sorry Codies, I'm not going to buy it. :P

My first impressions are quite good actually. I have no idea why people are harping about graphics, though for me they are a relatively minor part of a game. A lot of jaggies and I hate the brown-vision which makes perfect sunny days look like dusk...
But even so, the physics surprised me. With the hardest settings, no TCS and no ABS, its very easy to spin and lock the brakes. I have only tested the Lotus on Bahrain and Monaco so far, but its pretty engaging trying to find a good rhythm at the moment. Still miles off the pace, but getting there.

The penalties seem to be ok, there is a weird one at Monaco which I don't quite understand yet, sometimes I get a lap invalidated there if I take a tight line around the last corner and the start/finish straight. I will need to investigate that.
I was pleasantly surprised to achieve a 5 place grid penalty in qualifying! I haven't seen that in any game before, usually just invalidating the current laps! (I hit Kobayashi while spinning myself back on to the track).

I can't say much about the AI or the infamous pit bug yet as I haven't done a race. Hopefully tomorrow I will find the time to complete some full race weekends and investigate the penalty system. So far so good though, I like the atmosphere of the game though I find the sessions to be kind of dull with no commentary like F1:CE. There isn't even much radio messages from your race engineer, which is a big shame. Just something as simple as "So and so is on pole", "Driver X has spun at turn/sector...". Maybe it features this in the races, but in practice and qualifying there appears to be little radio.

Just adding my comments here... I haven't got it but got a short play of it tohugh.

1) a few bugs.. anoying that a finished product has bugs in it... pretty pathetic actually, there is one in the pits, one when I fiinshed my lap in qualy after the end of the session (but starting before the end).

2) Pitting is horrible.. there I said it, I didn't have much time for a race by myself.... only a few laps... all pit at once, logic dictates when you pitt, and you go in 5th and come out pretty much stone dead last. All other cars need a small gap to get out, you need a runway big enough to take a jumbo with full fuel to be let out. no point in doing the first half of the race..

3) gear change anoying, as does the controller d-pad terretz (spelling)

So yeah thats it... Looks good, sounds good doesn't drive good and just isn't finshed. GT5 appeears alot more finished.

TO

what do you mean whit pitstop bugs. what goes wrong?

The lollypop guy lets the whole field go past you unless there is a major gap in traffic. The most spots I've lost in pit lane was 7!!! That's just in pit lane too, not including the out lap. Huge problem.

Guys ... Its really unfair to compare it to GT5 ... GT5 its a 60,000,000$ Project where as this could be 10x less ... and GT5 took 5 good years to complete ...this maybe took 1.5 years... so NO ... we should not compare .. GT5 will eventually set the benchmark in the future and have a read @ my review I think the whole reason behind the quick release was not to interfere with GT5 and lose sale to it

The lollypop guy lets the whole field go past you unless there is a major gap in traffic. The most spots I've lost in pit lane was 7!!! That's just in pit lane too, not including the out lap. Huge problem.

Can't we just do a Sakon Yamamoto on the lollypop guy and go? :D

I have no idea why people are harping about graphics, though for me they are a relatively minor part of a game.

Because the previews of any new game always make the graphics look stunning! I think we have to learn that pretty much anything looks good when you're looking at a You Tube-sized video! ;)

In truth, the graphics really aren't that important - once you get used to them they become "reality" to you.

Guys ... Its really unfair to compare it to GT5 ... GT5 its a 60,000,000$ Project where as this could be 10x less ... and GT5 took 5 good years to complete ...this maybe took 1.5 years... so NO ... we should not compare .. GT5 will eventually set the benchmark in the future and have a read @ my review I think the whole reason behind the quick release was not to interfere with GT5 and lose sale to it

I don't think it's realistic to compare it to GT5, but how about F1CE? I doubt that much time & money was spent on F1CE & they did a great job. Four years on, I think it's reasonable for us to have hoped for a really significant improvement over F1CE. If F1 2010 took 1.5 years of development time, there are 3 - 3 years of wasted time in there. :grumpy:

In summary: it seems, so far, that F1 2010 is not a bad effort - I think a worthwhile purchase for F1 sim aficionados - but certainly not a "must-have" title for any PS3 racing sim fan.

Because the previews of any new game always make the graphics look stunning! I think we have to learn that pretty much anything looks good when you're looking at a You Tube-sized video! ;)

In truth, the graphics really aren't that important - once you get used to them they become "reality" to you.

I don't think it's realistic to compare it to GT5, but how about F1CE? I doubt that much time & money was spent on F1CE & they did a great job. Four years on, I think it's reasonable for us to have hoped for a really significant improvement over F1CE. If F1 2010 took 1.5 years of development time, there are 3 - 3 years of wasted time in there. :grumpy:

In summary: it seems, so far, that F1 2010 is not a bad effort - I think a worthwhile purchase for F1 sim aficionados - but certainly not a "must-have" title for any PS3 racing sim fan.

I just recently got into F1 and was thinking of buying this, but maybe not anymore.

lol I think I want Playstation Move and FIFA 11 more. haha

Well from the impressions I hear, it seems it's not all that better than F1CE. If that's the case, instead of buying it just because it's new, I'll just stick with F1CE to play in my spare time. I'm no where near good enough in that game anyway and I'm not a crazy F1 fanatic so the current season isn't that much of a big deal to me.

Thanks for the tips.

I love it. Period. If you go full on career, you cant go wrong. Just HOW realistic are you wanting it? Theres a point where it will be too realistic and you wont be able to drive it. This game is a game for hardcore sim racers and casual.

I played it now for like 8 hours on ps3.

The cars feel weigthless that is my biggest concern with this game. On the other hand, how would I know how a 550 kg 800 HP racecar should feel.

Graphics are detailed and look realistic. But the framerate is not like Gran Turismo. Especially the reflections on objects are like 5 fps. That is just disturbing.

Why are the rearview mirrors not visible when I sit in the cockpit? The T cam shows the rearview mirror but very small and also with 5 fps. Not good.

The good stuff is that F1 2010 offers an immersive racing experience. The AI is decent enough to keep you going. The carreer mode is fun too. Shame you cannot save while you are in a race.

Running a race on Monaco is a blast. Really. I hate the circuit but I love racing it in F1 2010. It seems so real.

I briefly tried the demo for F1ce. The graphics might not be as rich as they are in F1 2010, but they are sharper and everything runs with a higher fps.

Will it stay: yes untill GT5 arrives.

Wow sounds like it sucks, I was hoping with the first set of reviews they were discussing another format and not the PS3 version, I'm glad I'm not getting it, my old man however has tasked me with getting the game today while he is in hospital, I hope the game doesn't send him back :)

Just as with every other PS3 racing game there's some good & some not-so good:

I'm disappointed with the graphics - which I think are on a level with GT4.

I'm disappointed with the frame-rate - which makes it a bit difficult to see what's going on at times.

I'm disappointed with the FFB - which is a bit bland compared to F1CE.

On the positive side, the physics seem quite deep (although I can't judge how "realistic" they are) & the AI is the best I've encountered in a PS3 racing game so far. The AI is fast, varied & interactive which makes the racing challenging, immersive & fun.

Picked it up last night and spent about 3 hours playing around. TT at Bahrain, trying to learn the new infield layout. :grumpy:

Graphics are fine, it's 720p afterall. The only problem that I had (albeit I didn't spend exhaustive time playing) is with the steering controls. Codemasters has those 'saturation' and 'linearity' sliders that just blow my mind for some reason. Can't wrap my head completely around it, but after doing laps at 0% then 100% and then back somewhere in the middle I got the steering sorted. But still having comfort troubles with the throttle settings. Will spend more time this weekend and try to gain a handle on that.

The initial comment I have is that it feels alittle 'soft' and 'squishy', but it is a Codemasters game and that is expected, although it is not as bad as some others. Part of my personal problems center around the throttle response and I attribute that to my not gaining a comfortable throttle saturation/linearity setting, so I won't hold that against it yet. It reminds me of an evil turbo lag feeling. With TC off, it bites me occasionally, even when I think I've got it right. More testing required for sure.

As I spent all my initial time on the Bahrain circuit, my comments should be taken with much salt. I was really stumbled when in Free Practice I see that the course record is 1'30.xxx by Schumi. I gasped, as I had only gotten to 2'00.xxx in FP and thought, "damn I suck." But then I noticed that the record in the game was set in 2004 :crazy: . Alonso, this year bested a 1'58.xxx on this new course, so I feel that maybe I don't suck that bad, especially after only a couple hours of trying and only maybe 5-10 clean laps scattered about that session.

It's a new challenge, so I welcome it. I think the game will be fun after I gain some confidence in the cars limits and sort out the controls properly. After that I'll spend more time on the suspension/chassis settings, then play with the gearing some.

Not knowing what a 2010 (or any) F1 car feels like, I won't comment derisively on the handling other than to say that, understeer and oversteer are unfriendly and difficult to define. It appeared that they were more dependent on the track than the car. At some turns oversteer would bite your neck off; at others I would skate into the sand without much effort. After tooling with the downforce alittle and moving the ballast around a bit, it seemed more clear, but without stable throttle control, I was still battling the car more than I felt I should.

In closing, as someone stated above: If you're hesitant to buy a $60 game for your $3000 setup, you're missing some fun. I'll update my thoughts once I gain more experience with the game.

v/r

I have played my PS3 version with a GTDF wheel for about 6 hours now and I really love it. You have to play around a bit with the wheel settings to get the right feel but once you get it right it's great. The in game grafics are amazing. The replays look a bit worse than the XBOX360 movies I've seen on youtube but that's not such a big deal.

Just as with every other PS3 racing game there's some good & some not-so good:

I'm disappointed with the graphics - which I think are on a level with GT4.

I'm disappointed with the frame-rate - which makes it a bit difficult to see what's going on at times.

I'm disappointed with the FFB - which is a bit bland compared to F1CE.

how does it compare with Ferrari challenge? :dopey:

Back