1st PS3 Review

FWIW. Some thoughts based on having played the game for about 8 or 9 hours so far using a G25 wheel.

Is the game worth it?

My break even point is when a game can provide entertainment for $1 hr or less. For this game I would need to play it for around 55 hours to get to that point. So far I think that I will get that much game time out of this and probably more.

How is gameplay?

So far so good. I have read a number of complaints about bugs and other issues which almost deterred me from purchasing the game but so far I have not encountered any (granted in only 8 hours of gameplay). I have raced all the tracks in Grand Prix mode (3 laps usually) and have started career mode and I am now up to the third race. I have turned off most of the assists with the exception of keeping traction control at medium. My one major complaint so far is not having enough (or correct) force feedback when losing traction and as such I left on some traction control until I better learn the handling and physics particular to this game. At my current level of assist settings and difficulty level (easy) I think the game will start to get too easy soon but I am hoping the other difficulty levels will provide a greater challenge when that time comes. The one thing for sure is that the game is accessible for those that are more casual and less sim.

How about the graphics?

For someone looking at another person race or viewing replays the graphics are clearly not as good as GT5P but they are a little better than Ferrari Challenge or Supercar Challenge. For me though racing behind the wheel focusing on the race the graphics were certainly good enough.

Will this pass the time before GT5?

For me I think so. It will probably take me another week or so to work though the 1st season in career mode alone and I haven't tried on-line yet. I can't say how much I will play this game after November 2 though.

For someone looking at another person race or viewing replays the graphics are clearly not as good as GT5P but they are a little better than Ferrari Challenge or Supercar Challenge. For me though racing behind the wheel focusing on the race the graphics were certainly good enough.

For me, FC and SCC are the most worst looking PS3 games I´ve seen so far :yuck: So every game must look better :D

But anyway the physics were the best on the PS3 till now (hope GT5 will feel as good as SCC)

Seriously? Ive played F1 CE and F1 2010 blows it away graphics and physics wise.

As a fan of FC & SCC, great graphics are not that high up in my requirements. :)

The graphics styles of F1CE & F1 2010 are so different it's hard to compare them fairly. I've always admired the graphics of F1CE - simple but very effective at creating a realistic looking racing environment. F1 2010 really just fails to live up to the over-hyped expectations for its graphics, but while actually racing, the graphics are more than satisfactory. (The F1 2010 replays really show the weakness of the graphics - worse really than GT4. But then again, F1CE's replay aren't that good either - though in a completely different way!)

Why buy F1 2010? Well I hate to be a pessimist, but it's just possible that GT5 will fail to live up to everybody's over-inflated expectations. I'm sure it's going to look amazing, but what if the AI continues the drone-like characteristics of GT tradition? Although I enjoyed playing GT5P & (a bit more) FC & SCC, through the last three years or so, F1CE has been my first choice for offline racing. Although there are some questions about the long-term replay value of F1 2010 because the AI may be too "easy" (not sure about this yet myself), like F1CE, F1 2010 may provide a better offline racing experience than GT5.

I may try and pick up a copy tomorrow.

From looking at some videos, there appears to be primitive wall contact physics; GRID had that kind of squashy tyre wall impact. But doesn't appear so in F1 2010, which is surprising since they used the GRID engine, to my knowledge.

I may try and pick up a copy tomorrow.

From looking at some videos, there appears to be primitive wall contact physics; GRID had that kind of squashy tyre wall impact. But doesn't appear so in F1 2010, which is surprising since they used the GRID engine, to my knowledge.

For the time being I would avoid the career mode until the game has been patched. But the time trialing and online racing seems solid enough. I think you'll enjoy the physics a lot more than Codemasters' latest efforts.

I think the physics of the game are pretty good, I feel as though I can drive the car like they drive it on the telly, where as in F1:CE I never felt I could.

I think the physics of the game are pretty good, I feel as though I can drive the car like they drive it on the telly, where as in F1:CE I never felt I could.

I think this guy hit the nail on the head over at the CM forums about the best elements of F1 2010's handling:

I think the crowning glory of this game is the driving rhythm. Anthony Davidson spoke about this leading up to release and it's definitely been dialed in so well.

This is something that the more serious sim stuff almost always falls down on. With F1 2010, it's great to just put in lap after lap and get into that sort of trance like groove. Very fun and, in fact, extremely realistic.

I just can't get enough of the driving experience in this game and, frankly, as a hotlapper most of the time, I'm not seeing the bugs very often and, so far, they haven't spoiled my enjoyment at all.

I truly hope that those people who've put the game down until the patch comes out will try again, look for the great deal of positives in the game and get their 60 bucks worth, or whatever they paid in their own currency.

It's not perfect, but it's still the best thing to ever happen to F1 gaming.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...228-positive-post-alert-driving-rhythm-2.html

This is what I said on the matter:

"Excellent point. This is something that I have definitely been thinking about too and it reminds me particularly of go-karting. The game does put you into this trance like state where you just drive automatically without too much thought - as it is in real life - and the difference between a good lap and a slow one is about how much you push as opposed to how well you have planned ahead for the next corner as seems to be the feeling I get in most other driving games. F1 2010's driving experience is much more organic.

Hand on heart, regardless of the accuracy of the physics, F1 2010 replicates the feel and sensation of lapping a circuit better than any other game i've played. It's something to do with the fact that in most games a good lap depends on you taking the best line through the corner, whereas in F1 2010 you always take the same or similar lines through the corner, but it's just about how much you're pushing, how late you're braking and how early you're getting on the throttle. This feels much, much more life-like to me.

Sorry if i'm gushing a bit, but can anyone who's raced in go-karts, or single seaters relate to what i'm saying?"

Last edited:
I think from my point of view, when I settle into that rhythm, I can drive the thing without it being seriously difficult, but when I need to push for a fast lap, I still find that hard. It's hard to explain what you feel, but I think I just get the idea that I can cruise fairly easily, but if I need to push I find it a challenge.

I think this guy hit the nail on the head over at the CM forums about the best elements of F1 2010's handling:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...228-positive-post-alert-driving-rhythm-2.html

This is what I said on the matter:

"Excellent point. This is something that I have definitely been thinking about too and it reminds me particularly of go-karting. The game does put you into this trance like state where you just drive automatically without too much thought - as it is in real life - and the difference between a good lap and a slow one is about how much you push as opposed to how well you have planned ahead for the next corner as seems to be the feeling I get in most other driving games. F1 2010's driving experience is much more organic.

Hand on heart, regardless of the accuracy of the physics, F1 2010 replicates the feel and sensation of lapping a circuit better than any other game i've played. It's something to do with the fact that in most games a good lap depends on you taking the best line through the corner, whereas in F1 2010 you always take the same or similar lines through the corner, but it's just about how much you're pushing, how late you're braking and how early you're getting on the throttle. This feels much, much more life-like to me.

Sorry if i'm gushing a bit, but can anyone who's raced in go-karts, or single seaters relate to what i'm saying?"

I'm so glad someone said this, I couldn't quite put my finger on it and I always sort of forgot in the midst of all the flaws. I find myself really enjoying this game despite the flaws and its because of what you just said, you can drive it and it feels familiar. You get into a trance where you adjust your braking, throttle and attitude of the car in the corners rather than feel like you have to get a sequence of commands correct to get the best time.

I feel like I can manipulate the car to find what suits my style. for instance I love to crash down on the apex where I apply the brake just enough to get the car yaw just barely over rotated so that the middle of the car,not the inside tire is aimed at the apex and then apply throttle so that the power, in effect, pushes the car back to the optimum line. I like it because it gives me the best chance to apply throttle in the striaightest line. This game allows me to do that flawlessly to great effect it is so satisfying.

I found myself under pressure for 20 laps at Catalunya in the Sauber but not breaking a sweat, I didnt over cook it, and had a few of those awesome moments where the rear gets ever so squirrely coming out of a corner. I was able to do this and stay calm because I felt like I was really driving the car and the car felt like any other performance car I have driver and I was comfortable pushing the car under atack for 20+ laps, and in total 50 laps.

I think above all else the game really does get the familiarity of a vehicle spot on and the feel that you can run different lines, throttle points etc, without crashing. Very satisfying.

Last edited:
I'm so glad someone said this, I couldn't quite put my finger on it and I always sort of forgot in the midst of all the flaws. I find myself really enjoying this game despite the flaws and its because of what you just said, you can drive it and it feels familiar. You get into a trance where you adjust your braking, throttle and attitude of the car in the corners rather than feel like you have to get a sequence of commands correct to get the best time.

I feel like I can manipulate the car to find what suits my style. for instance I love to crash down on the apex where I apply the brake just enough to get the car yaw just barely over rotated so that the middle of the car,not the inside tire is aimed at the apex and then apply throttle so that the power, in effect, pushes the car back to the optimum line. I like it because it gives me the best chance to apply throttle in the striaightest line. This game allows me to do that flawlessly to great effect it is so satisfying.

I found myself under pressure for 20 laps at Catalunya in the Sauber but not breaking a sweat, I didnt over cook it, and had a few of those awesome moments where the rear gets ever so squirrely coming out of a corner. I was able to do this and stay calm because I felt like I was really driving the car and the car felt like any other performance car I have driver and I was comfortable pushing the car under atack for 20+ laps, and in total 50 laps.

I think above all else the game really does get the familiarity of a vehicle spot on and the feel that you can run different lines, throttle points etc, without crashing. Very satisfying.

Yeah spot on 👍

I mentioned before that one of the first things I noticed about the handling was how easy it was to place the car, and meet the apexes, which is something completely missing from F1:CE. The truth is- in the words of Martin Brundle - that an F1 car is like an extension of the body, it just does what you command it to almost instinctively.

Watching that video, it all seemed to relate to F1 2010's handling in that it feels just as he's describing in that video, all apart from smelling the floor burning :)

It's funny, I had to check back through your posts to see if you were the same guy who described the handling as being 'mushy'. Incidentally, that was my very first thought as well until I got into enough of a rhythm to get used to it.

I'm finding the game unputdownable at the moment, and that's despite all the bugs. I was never quite that engrossed in F1:CE it has to be said, as excellent as that game was. I really hope CM get the credit they deserve for the job they've done with the handling in F1 2010.

Yeah spot on 👍

I mentioned before that one of the first things I noticed about the handling was how easy it was to place the car, and meet the apexes, which is something completely missing from F1:CE. The truth is- in the words of Martin Brundle - that an F1 car is like an extension of the body, it just does what you command it to almost instinctively.

Watching that video, it all seemed to relate to F1 2010's handling in that it feels just as he's describing in that video, all apart from smelling the floor burning :)

It's funny, I had to check back through your posts to see if you were the same guy who described the handling as being 'mushy'. Incidentally, that was my very first thought as well until I got into enough of a rhythm to get used to it.

I'm finding the game unputdownable at the moment, and that's despite all the bugs. I was never quite that engrossed in F1:CE it has to be said, as excellent as that game was. I really hope CM get the credit they deserve for the job they've done with the handling in F1 2010.

T'was I who said it was mushy, and I was wrong. The #1 thing that helped to firm the steering up for me hands down was to adjust the steering saturation down to about 45% this alone gave me about 1 sec. and then I turned the wheel weight down to about 20% it is awesome now.

The only thing I wish for now is a little more feedback when coming out of a corner hot. I know I am not giving it WAY too much throttle, just a little bit too much, I would like to be able to have more of a fighting chance to save it, it just seems like it goes before you even realize it is spinning. On the broadcast you see the car give little twitches that are easily correctable at pretty much full throttle. This would be nice instead of the spin or constant peel out I usually get.

The other thing I would like is a little more rear lockup into corners when too much brake is applied. Other than that, the driving is superior to F1:CE no doubt.

I think I would get into that trance-like state (when things were going well) in F1CE also. The difference is that F1CE's handling always felt somewhat digital rather than organic - even the rugged FFB effects could not disguise that. The handling in F1 2010 has a more natural feel. In particular, I am starting to be able to initiate a little controlled understeer & oversteer in cornering, something that was very, very difficult in F1CE (I used to try with the classic cars with very little success).

I wanted to get this game as soon as those people who liked GRiD didn't like F1 2010. I have been playing the career mode and have just won my first race at Turkey after staying out on option tyres a little bit longer before switching to primes. I actually, for the 1st time since GT5P actually, got really excited about achieving this. I like it a lot, sure its got its bugs and issues but as others said the handling is ergonomic, feels right. I think they've done a 1st good attempt.

For me, FC and SCC are the most worst looking PS3 games I´ve seen so far :yuck: So every game must look better :D

But anyway the physics were the best on the PS3 till now (hope GT5 will feel as good as SCC)

With FC although it's definitely not the best looking game but if you decrease the saturation on your TV, it's quite acceptable. It's sharper than SCC and unlike SCC or GT5, Grid, Dirt 2 etc, the clouds actually move in FC. If you still have the game, park your Ferrari on the side of the track and just look at the somewhat animated sky.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that codemasters messed up with damage? Codemasters, that is a pretty big shock.

If that is true then it is pretty shocking, since Codemasters have always been able to do damage better than anyone else.

Inside Sim racing did a mini review, not a full one yet, though :) Focus was on the PS3 along with various wheels tested.

Back