2005-06 NBA Season Discussion Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 612 comments
Giancarlo
The Mavericks wilted under the pressure. The Heat's spectacular Zone defense, anchored by Shaq and especially Zo (5 blocks), turned the Mavericks into a jump shooting team who was reluctant to stop the red-hot Wade. Who's one-dimensional now?

The Heat had for more hunger to win this title, and far more veterans with far more experience (apart from Gary Payton on that one play, lol) that knew what to do when the pressure was on.
Yup. I do agree with this. I think I even mentioned about the Miami's experience before the series started.

Giancarlo
Avery Johnson was extremely outcoached on every level by Pat Riley, when it came to substitutions, motivation, set plays and character.

Edit:
I disagree with this though. He was not "extremely outcoached on every level" by Riley. He obviously was outcoached, or there would at least be a Game 7 in the series right now. But Avery did better than good. He could not correct some of the mistakes his team were making, but Riley was no Mr. Perfect either. Dallas could have easily won couple more of those games in Miami. Maybe even the Game 6.

It is really easy to claim that Avery Johnson was no match for Pat Riley after Dallas lost the series, but IMO, Avery was just as good of a coach, if not better.

Giancarlo
I cannot believe the Mavs fans turned out to be worse than most Pistons fans. At least they took the loss to heart and understood that they lost to a more prepared team. Major props to Rip and Tayshaun for congratulating the Heat players after their win, and for helping make the East finally able to win the championship again.
There is a HUGE difference here. Detroit fans had to take it well, their team self-destructed. Flip Saunders took the Piston's trademark defense away(good job letting Brown go, Joe), players were slacking, Big Ben was criticizing his teammates and the coach. They weren't even in the position to win against Miami.

Edit:

I forgot to add. Rasho Nesterovic of San Antonio Spurs were traded to the Toronto Raptors for couple of expiring contracts today. I think one of them were Eric Williams. I was never big on Nesterovic, so I'm kind of glad to see him leave the Spurs. I hope he works out well for the Raptors though. At least for Saleen Man's sake. :D
Another Edit: Story is here. http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9519804

Giancarlo
The Mavericks wilted under the pressure. The Heat's spectacular Zone defense, anchored by Shaq and especially Zo (5 blocks), turned the Mavericks into a jump shooting team who was reluctant to stop the red-hot Wade. Who's one-dimensional now?

The Heat had for more hunger to win this title, and far more veterans with far more experience (apart from Gary Payton on that one play, lol) that knew what to do when the pressure was on.

Avery Johnson was extremely outcoached on every level by Pat Riley, when it came to substitutions, motivation, set plays and character.

I cannot believe the Mavs fans turned out to be worse than most Pistons fans. At least they took the loss to heart and understood that they lost to a more prepared team. Major props to Rip and Tayshaun for congratulating the Heat players after their win, and for helping make the East finally able to win the championship again.

Zo is my Finals MVP, and a freaking warrior time and time again when the pressure was on.
hpg0506_060620_zo.jpg

hpg0506_060620_zo3.jpg

hpg0506_060620_arena1.jpg

WORD, man. I LOVE Mourning, and he deserves mad respect. He actually made a difference, unlike stupid Gary Payton. Gary Payton is so selfish and stupid and stuff. Mourning, on the other hand, is intelligent and inspirational. What a guy. During his post-game press conference, his statements were really awesome. The way he played, however, was even awesomer. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I still hate Gary Payton, but aren't you guys being little hard on that loser? :P

I think I saw just one complete game in the entire series, so I'm not 100%, but I seem to recall him making couple of crucial shots. One was probably Game 4. An 18 ft. jumper to pretty much put away the Mavs. Another one was a high banking lay-up at the end of (again)probably Game 5. With those two shots, he would've been good for almost 10 seconds in the series, combined. :sly:

I don't have much to say about the finals. Other than go Heat, and Dwyane Wade is a lot of fun to watch.

Back to the NBA and (unfortunately) my Raptors. Nesterovic? I have never liked this guy because in my opinion, he sucks. But I guess if he sucks he'll fit right in with the Raptors. Chris Bosh is the only bright spot. I sure hope they don't screw up with the 1st overall pick.

Saleen Man
I don't have much to say about the finals. Other than go Heat, and Dwyane Wade is a lot of fun to watch.

Back to the NBA and (unfortunately) my Raptors. Nesterovic? I have never liked this guy because in my opinion, he sucks. But I guess if he sucks he'll fit right in with the Raptors. Chris Bosh is the only bright spot. I sure hope they don't screw up with the 1st overall pick.
Come on now, Saleen. I have a lot of respect for the Raptors. Even when everybody assumed that they are typical lottery losers, they played hard and won some games, while my Blazers were throwing games, left and right. While I was devastated about the Blazers 4th overall pick(:(), I thought it was total justice/karma that Raptors got the first pick. 👍

On Nestrovic: As I've already said, I was kinda happy to see him leave the Spurs, so I'm not a fan of the guy, but look on the bright side. Raptors pretty much got him for nothing, and he is a capable NBA big man. Don't picture him when he was with the Spurs, but when he was with the Wolves. He wasn't that bad. Again, I hope this works out for the Raptors. :)

Well I guess years of losing have destroyed any and all optimism I may have had in previous years towards the Raptors. And they've wasted some high picks in the past, so I sure hope they do something good with it this time around.

There are so many trade rumors right now. But all of them I've heard so far seems to involve other high lottery teams trading up to Toronto's number 1 spot, which of course means Raptors will still get a decent pick, plus hopefully another prospect or veteran that can help the ballclub.

Rumor is, Blazers offered their 4th pick, 30th pick(last pick of the 1st round via Detroit, I believe), and any (conditional depending on the salary, I'm sure)players, except Martell Webster and Jarett Jack. One of the guys from Oregonlive.com(our local paper's website) reports that Toronto might be interested, if Jack was thrown in the deal. From the Blazers point of view, I don't think they should trade any of the prospects. We need to unload Zach Randolph and Darius Miles right now. :grumpy: :D

Blazers are looking at LaMarcus Aldridge, Adam Morrison, and Brandon Roy as their #1 pick. I wouldn't mind any of those guys, if they should be available at #4. Who do you like for your Raptors?

P.S. Looks like Larry Brown was fired as the Knicks headcoach. I don't know what Brown was thiking, going into a job like that. Isiah Thomas is the worst GM in the league(sorry Isiah, I still love u!), roster is filled with bunch of unusable and underachieving players. I know Larry Brown is a miracle worker that turned poor teams like the Spurs, Clippers, Pacers and Sixers into contenders, but Knicks situation was just unbelievably bad. He's lucky he got fired after just one season IMO.

Giancarlo, are you going to the Heat parade? I'm going to see if I can't coax the folks into it.

Omnis
Giancarlo, are you going to the Heat parade? I'm going to see if I can't coax the folks into it.

I don't think so, i'd rather watch it on tv. Otherwise i might just be stuck in a crowd and not see anything.

Holy cow. Pat Riley dancing scared me a little bit.

Here's a cool rumor:
Posted by Eric Marentette/Oregonlive.com
Interesting stuff over at draftexpress.com, where they say Tyrus Thomas flew in and out of Houston today for an interview and physical. Apparently, Thomas' agent would neither confirm nor deny today's visit:

Rumors of a trade between Portland and Houston are likely the reason for Thomas' visit today. Both teams are reportedly in discussions for swapping their picks (#4 for #8), but the exact details are still unknown. Further confirming the fact that Houston is serious about trading up is the fact that the Rockets will bring in Brandon Roy on Saturday as well.

Update: DraftExpress has learned that the Trail Blazers are asking the Rockets to take on the contract of Darius Miles in return for Juwan Howard. A proposal made a few days ago by Portland involved trading Darius Miles and the #30 and #31 picks in return for Juwan Howard and the #8 pick. That offer was rejected by Houston and the teams have [gone] back to the drawing board.
I would love to see the Blazer be able to get rid of Darius Miles, who turned out to be almost as bad as Bonzi Wells, but price is high, as we would have to part with the 4th pick, which could possibly give us Brandon Roy or Adam Morrison. Again, possibly. But with Darius, it's definitely an addition by subraction. And while I'm not a fan of Juwan Howard, at least he was never known as headcase. If this leads to the Blazers also shipping out Zach Randolph(which HAS to happen), then I think the Blazers should do it. It saddens me though. :( Actually, I would ask Houston to give us Howard for 30, 31st, and Miles.

NBA Draft is tomorrow. Blazers are involved in several trade rumors. Here are couple of major ones.:

1) Portland will send Sebastian Telfair to Boston Celtics for their 7th pick and Dan Dickau. While this may seem to favor Portland, Telfair has the potential to become one of the best point guards in the NBA. This can be the biggest mistake Blazers made, since letting Jermaine O'Neal go to the Pacers.

2) Portland is still trying to move up from the 4th overall selection. Reportedly, they are after the Toronto's #1 pick and Charlotte's #3 pick.

Boy, I can't wait until tomorrow. :drool:

Back