2006 Rx-7?

Some say yes others say no I say **** NO!
Oh I also heard about it being released in the UK but I really didnt bother posting it here since I thought I should wait until I get more Information.

I also say hell no, go look around on google, a million different kinds of concept RX-7 pics are circling the web, personally it looks like a turd, and I really hope Mazda should really just retire the legendary name, if they do release one, it should have the same overall body shape of the old car, and not release a car looking like a complete turd.

Oh i say yes, but thats only my opnion and that i'm a rotar head. Well if they do bring it back i would personally like the 2nd generation look, rather then the new look in the picture.

That would be nice. I like the look of the new RX-8 but I hate what they made it if it is to be the successor to the RX-7. They did a good job of hiding its extra interior room, but unfortunatly thats all they did. Hide it with a trick of styling. A true two door, two seater would be lighter and have better aerodynamics than the current RX-8 and ditching the two gay demi-doors would probably help stiffen the car as well. I dont see an RX-7 fitting back into Mazdas lineup, but perhaps an RX-8 two seater to accompany the current "quad coupe" is in order. If they want to call it an RX-7, more power to them, but they shouldn't market it as a different car altogether. The styling should be similar. It should be based off the same platform, with the same powertrain options. And the two should be marketed side by side much like they did with the Mazda 3 and Mazda 3 5-door.

p.s. I can't wait until they turbocharge the Renessis. The only reason it wasn't at launch was because with the intercooler, the exhaust gases werent hot enough for proper catalytic operation. But they also said it was still in the works, and they projected 300 hp as a decent yet well attainable goal for the first turbocharged Renessis.

I think Mazda bringing back the RX-7 is as likely as Nissan bringing back the R32 Skyline. It's not going to happen because the car has been retired and a replacement has been available for years now.

Well I think they should retire the RX-7 name if it will come out, it should be called something esle.....Along the lines of something like RX-9.......The 2-door sports coupé. I don't think they'd bring back the old name, since every new rotary car that has come out has the higher number then the previous one ie:RX-3,RX-4.......Or they could just call it the Mazda Cosmo, if anyone else remebers that car. Also about the engine, I don't think a turbo renesis will come out as adding turbo's on rotaries seem to apparently deteriorate the roatary's life a little faster than a non turbo'd one, it'll be more likely a supercharged renesis.
Just my 2 cents.:)

Ev0
I think Mazda bringing back the RX-7 is as likely as Nissan bringing back the R32 Skyline. It's not going to happen because the car has been retired and a replacement has been available for years now.

Years? What car would that be? The 2004 RX-8? That's not quite years the way I see it. And the RX-8 isn't exactly a replacement as it doesn't accomplish the same goals. It's a different car. As was the RX-7 from the previous RX models.

ND4SPD
Well I think they should retire the RX-7 name if it will come out, it should be called something esle.....Along the lines of something like RX-9.......The 2-door sports coupé. I don't think they'd bring back the old name, since every new rotary car that has come out has the higher number then the previous one ie:RX-3,RX-4.......

Then why were there three generations of the RX-7?

Or they could just call it the Mazda Cosmo, if anyone else remebers that car. Also about the engine, I don't think a turbo renesis will come out as adding turbo's on rotaries seem to apparently deteriorate the roatary's life a little faster than a non turbo'd one, it'll be more likely a supercharged renesis.
Just my 2 cents.

Adding a turbo to any engine will deteriorate it faster. But I agree that they should use superchargers instead. However, my reasons have nothing to do with mechanics and everything to do with the image that turbos and superchargers portray.

I think a new RX-7 would be just what the doctor ordered. But Mazda could also benefit from a return of the RX-3 with a detuned longer lasting Renesis or something bigger like a Millenia with a three rotor Renesis. Or throw it in a truck or van. Or the best idea yet!! -- Build a hybrid with a rotary engine. I bet they could get over 60 miles to the gallon.

LoudMusic
I think a new RX-7 would be just what the doctor ordered. But Mazda could also benefit from a return of the RX-3 with a detuned longer lasting Renesis or something bigger like a Millenia with a three rotor Renesis. Or throw it in a truck or van.
Ford is writing Mazda's checks, and I don't think they want to see a Millenia stealing Mercury sales. And I also bet that evey truck that Mazda builds will be a rebadged Ford. As to the RX-3...this is actually quite likely. The hot-hatch market seems to be pretty good as of late.
Or the best idea yet!! -- Build a hybrid with a rotary engine. I bet they could get over 60 miles to the gallon.
👍 Quick, grab a patent for this idea! A high-torque electric would be the perfect complement for the high-rpm rotary.

RX-7_FC_DrIfteR
Then if there not going to make the new "rx-7" then at least make some more 1st genrx-7 and 2nd gen (FC)

That's just crazy speak. Why remake something that's proven old and busted?

I'm really liking the dual motor rotary / electric combo. It would be interesting to see that with the S2000's engine as well. Or any VTEC for that matter. They're all high revving low torque motors.

RX-7_FC_DrIfteR
Yeah but, it would be nice to bring it back from the dead, its hard enough to find my rx-7 fc a decent clean interior.
Today you can build a complete '69 Camaro completely from new aftermarket parts--frame to engine to body to suspension. The FD, at least, is similarly a legend. In 20 more years, you'll be able to build a "new" clone from aftermarket parts. So all you have to do is wait, like, 20 years.

Oh it shouldn't take that long. And it would help if he lived in Japan. But yes you should be able to rebuild it with aftermarket parts. Kind of like an ad-hoc kit.

LoudMusic
Then why were there three generations of the RX-7?

Well I guess that Mazda wanted to keep the RX-7 name, but just wanted to improve on it, they could have done the same with the RX-3,RX-4 and so on, but what I meant was once they're done with the number, I'm pretty sure they won't go back to an older number.

You can build an entire Camaro from aftermarket parts now? Even a full chassis can be bought on the aftermarket? How much would a kit Camaro go for?

The RX-8 was not built to fill the all-out performance void that was created by Mazda after they ceased production of the 3rd gen. They are two COMPLETELY different vehicles.

I think Mazda/Ford would benefit immensely if they were to build a new RX-7 platform. However, it goes without saying that the car would have to be more than competitive against such big names as Evolution - 350Z - STi, all while maintaining a reasonable base price.

This is the decade of the automotive enthusiast. What better time to bring back such a recognized and followed namesake, than now?

The RX-7 should NOT be brought back. Mazda should be focusing on how to make the RX-8 better. Not on something that will throw sales off of it.

What makes you think that a person in the market for a pure sports car, would be contemplating an RX-8? please elaborate.

The funny thing is, if you go to Mazda USAs website you will see a link to Les Wong's Single-Turbo FD RX-7 right on the front page. Are they not afraid of losing potential RX-8 customers?

No - because they are two completely different cars.

RX-8's are FUN cars to drive. A better (funner) car offered from the same dealer would throw sales off their already sporty car. What I'm trying to say is, why spend the enormous amounts of money creating a brand new car when you can simply elaborate on the one you already have. It's like modifying a car, I want to go faster so I upgrade parts. I don't just by another car thats faster.

... I guess you missed the part about them being two completely different cars.

I consider a "fun" car to be a Cavalier, and I consider a fast car to be a Z06 Corvette. see the difference? Because that's about how the 8 would compare to a new 7.

I do think there is enough room in any auto makers lineup for a 'sporty car' and a 'sports car'. Not every person is in the market for a sports car and vice versa. Besides, the 8 will not be around for much longer. ( in north america anyways )

That pic there is from '99, or there abouts. It's old, it's fake, it's useless.

Mazda could easily have a very sports-oriented rotary coupe. All required is a Mazda Roadster coupe, add the Renesis, and drop in a few MazdaSpeed suspension bits, and you'd have a very light rocket of a car. 250hp in a car about 150 lbs heavier(actually, wieght from a normal Miata to a could-be-called "RX-5 Coupe" wouldn't differ that much due to the lightness of the rotary) than a normal Miata would create a car nearly as fast as a FD.

The thing is, Ford is confused by the rotary, and still doesn't believe its advantages and market segment, so they'll let Mazda have it. Trucks, I think, are out of the question because Ford is so truck heavy that all of thier partner companies don't have thier own trucks.
A new Millenia could happen. Ford didn't give a damn about the Millenia because they assumed that Lincoln and Mercury(as well as Jag) would sell better, and they most likely did. Though, Milly owners are very loyal both to Millys and to other Mazdas. It's a Mazda thing. Unfortunately, to create a competitive luxury car Mazda would need to barrow Ford parts(meh...), or create thier own drivetrains(2 Miata 1.8s bolted together! Instant V8 with tons of power). A whole new platform will be needed as well. All time consuming and a big risk for Mazda to take.

Mazda was and still is working on Hydrogen Renesis engines. Electric rotaries would be interesting, but the wieght of the batteries would cancel out any sort of wieght advantage that the rotary gains. Further more, since the only current rotary is the RX-8, no one is going to want one, already with a small trunk, now stuffed full of 150 or so D-sized batteries. No way. A more feasible platform would be the 3 hatch, however then you run into the fact that the only production FWD rotary car was a version of the Capella from '68-'70, and wasn't anything special or wanted. So a new FWD rotary would be needed. It's a complicated situation.

The next RX-7 is still in pre-concept form, more of a dream than a sketch, if Mazda has even started working on the project at all. So, hold off the speculation - "when it doubt, wait it out".

Well the rx7 should stay retired like mj....it can't top what it's legend has been....as far as that concept...

celine dion called it the mazda r-crossfire-x
-end sarcasm-

What concept! There is no concept. That's a damn speculation sketch - meaningless.

MazKid
That pic there is from '99, or there abouts. It's old, it's fake, it's useless.

Mazda could easily have a very sports-oriented rotary coupe. All required is a Mazda Roadster coupe, add the Renesis, and drop in a few MazdaSpeed suspension bits, and you'd have a very light rocket of a car. 250hp in a car about 150 lbs heavier(actually, wieght from a normal Miata to a could-be-called "RX-5 Coupe" wouldn't differ that much due to the lightness of the rotary) than a normal Miata would create a car nearly as fast as a FD.

The thing is, Ford is confused by the rotary, and still doesn't believe its advantages and market segment, so they'll let Mazda have it. Trucks, I think, are out of the question because Ford is so truck heavy that all of thier partner companies don't have thier own trucks.
A new Millenia could happen. Ford didn't give a damn about the Millenia because they assumed that Lincoln and Mercury(as well as Jag) would sell better, and they most likely did. Though, Milly owners are very loyal both to Millys and to other Mazdas. It's a Mazda thing. Unfortunately, to create a competitive luxury car Mazda would need to barrow Ford parts(meh...), or create thier own drivetrains(2 Miata 1.8s bolted together! Instant V8 with tons of power). A whole new platform will be needed as well. All time consuming and a big risk for Mazda to take.

Mazda was and still is working on Hydrogen Renesis engines. Electric rotaries would be interesting, but the wieght of the batteries would cancel out any sort of wieght advantage that the rotary gains. Further more, since the only current rotary is the RX-8, no one is going to want one, already with a small trunk, now stuffed full of 150 or so D-sized batteries. No way. A more feasible platform would be the 3 hatch, however then you run into the fact that the only production FWD rotary car was a version of the Capella from '68-'70, and wasn't anything special or wanted. So a new FWD rotary would be needed. It's a complicated situation.

The next RX-7 is still in pre-concept form, more of a dream than a sketch, if Mazda has even started working on the project at all. So, hold off the speculation - "when it doubt, wait it out".

Hey i heard around somewhere, that a new RX-7 would depend on the sales of the rx-8?

And that somewhere comes from a reliable source?? Just because you hear it from the internet doesn't mean its real, there is a load of BS on the internet.....

I heard something about this outta a magazine. It would be based on the RX-8 platform, but a true 2 seater, 2 doors sports coupe. If they put a turbo pn the renesis, you would have a beast... along witha better tranny and ratios...

Back