2008 Best Car Series: (Round 3) Nissan GT-R vs Audi R8

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 162 comments
  • 22,880 views

Eastern Promise Fight!


  • Total voters
    81
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
From the Hong Kong division:

nissangtrofficialfront2di8.jpg

The Nissan GT-R

VS

From the Athens division:

2008_audi_r8_comparo_gallery_2008_audi_r8_image_0011_gallery_image_large.jpg

The Audi R8

The winner of this thread will see the winner of the FIAT 500 vs Aston Martin DB9 fight in Kansas City. Lets get it on!
 
The Nissan. IMO, the R8, while still an amazing car, is a slower, but slightly more comfortable Gallardo. The GT-R is just as usable, faster.
 
GT-R. I hate it but at least respect what it does.

The R8 on the other hand while not a bad car, is really just another mid engine supercar using a good bit of tech... Like every other "supercar" out there.
 
Voted for the GT-R. The car speaks for itself really..... 👍
 
As much as people may love the R8, and as good of a car it may be, the GT-R is still something of a techno wonder. That, and the R8 isn't the 911. If it were a 911, my decision would have been different.

Yes, I'm still bitter...
 
Seems even the mighty R8 can't win over the Godzilla. Maybe when the upcoming v10 R8, or more appropiately titled, 'R10', comes around minds will change. For me, the Audi R8 is just another Gallardo, albeit with more focus on luxury than performance.
 
I'm pulling for the R8 so it can kick the Fiat 500's ass!

Edit: erm... nevermind. :rolleyes:
 
Voted the GT-R, that R8 will be a boring car to me for ever and ever. Plus I actually quite like V6s, almost as much as V8s.;) In some cases even more.
 
this was a tough one.. On the other hand, I like the R8, since it's unique Audi with it's mid-engined AWD 2-seater layout.. and then I look at it and see a TT on steroids. :guilty:

GT-R it is, then.
 
Hmm... this one actually makes me think. On one hand, we have the undoubtably impressive R8 that's objectively a better car than the 911 that I prefer, and it also looks good in a sort of clinical, German way. On the other, probably one of Japan's best ever cars, also a 911 beater, an incredible machine in most respects, but perhaps isn't the best looking thing and to me it lacks a little soul.

My vote... goes to the GT-R. Much as I'd like to vote for the Audi for it's extra character, I have a feeling the GT-R is the better car. Autocar confirms it in a recent issue where they tested the GT-R against the R8 and 911, and it beat them both. If I were to choose a car to buy out of these three, the order would be completely reversed (I'd have the 911, then the R8, then the GT-R) but in this vote the GT-R is the better car.
 
Voting for the R35 as usual. The Audi R8 just an Audi, and it get's beaten by a giant video game with better overall looks, performance, comfort and technology
 
Last edited:
Jesus H. Christ... are you ACTUALLY serious?

I actually felt my brain melting as I read that.
 
Last edited:
That and also because it supports the Import World ;)
Gee...on my home planet, Audi is an import, too.

If you live in the United States, imports also come from nations other than Japan, even if they don't create anime.
 
Gee...on my home planet, Audi is an import, too.

If you live in the United States, imports also come from nations other than Japan, even if they don't create anime.

Anime? In our part of the universe we have to hunt down anime on DVD to know what that is.
 
Bah! Your opinion is meaningless. You're not supporting the Import World!
 
CoughanimesukiCough
 
Voting for the R35 as usual. The Audi R8 just an Audi, and it get's beaten by a giant video game with better overall looks, performance, comfort and technology

Voting for the R35 is fair enough (after all, I did too) but the rest of this post makes me want to bang my head repeatedly against my keyboard.

"The Audi R8 just an Audi" - Audi make a very good range of cars at the moment, and have done for some years. The R8 is probably the best of that range of very good cars, which genuinely says something. The Nissan is just the best of a mostly lacklustre range of other Nissans.

And depending on your preferences it might not even be the best Japanese car so far. Much as I like it, I prefer the NSX, Japanese Civic R, Integra (pretty much any version)... in fact, most Hondas, most Mazdas, any Toyota MR2 and most Celicas, a number of Mitsubishis, even a few Daihatsus... quite a few cars really. Sure, they may not all be better all-round than the GT-R but it depends what you look for in a car.

Certainly, I'd say that early Corollas and Civics are more historically significant given the impact they've had on the motoring world, and that even the earlier R33 and R34 Skylines have been more instrumental in showing the world what Japan can do with technology - all the R35 has done is taken the same theories a little further to compete with the next level of performance cars.

"...it get's beaten by a giant video game" - I'll ignore the horrific use of the apostrophe here and get straight to the content of the quote. I don't know about anyone else, but "video game" qualities don't really endear me to a car, and it makes me cringe every time I hear the GT-R described as one.

"with better overall looks, performance, comfort and technology" - That the GT-R has better performance and probably technology is without question, but looks and comfort are pretty subjective. Personally, I can tolerate the looks of the GT-R given its other virtues but it's certainly not an attractive car (and I doubt I'm in the minority feeling this way) and I've never heard the Audi described as any less comfortable than the GT-R so I'd be inclined to disagree on this point too.
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry if I have to say this, but all of your reactions to gator's comment saying "The Audi R8 is just an Audi" is just priceless. :lol:👍
Just let the kid live will ya? He hasn't got a clue what Audi did that totally revolutionized 4WD cars today. (R35 included)
 
Last edited:
I voted for the GT-R because it makes me want to punch something just looking at it.

RARRGGGH!
 
This is an interesting vote off. The GT-R versus what essentially amounts to the Un-GT-R.
 
Last edited:
This was VERY difficult. I love the GT-R--and I do immensely. But the R8 represents the beauty, comfort, and more everyday usefulness that the GT-R lacks...albeit barely. The Audi would be my pick for a daily driver for sure--which is what 90% of the driving world has to have. And truth be told I'm a sucker for the 4.2L Audi V8--which is shocking considering I love Nissan (*cough*Renaults*cough*) V6's.
 
"with better overall looks, performance, comfort and technology" - That the GT-R has better performance and probably technology is without question, but looks and comfort are pretty subjective. Personally, I can tolerate the looks of the GT-R given its other virtues but it's certainly not an attractive car (and I doubt I'm in the minority feeling this way) and I've never heard the Audi described as any less comfortable than the GT-R so I'd be inclined to disagree on this point too.

I agree on both counts. The GT-R has a face only a mother could love. The R8 has a couple of awkward angles, but between the two there is no question in my mind the Audi wins the beauty contest. I saw my first R8 on the road last week and it was utterly gorgeous. Those LED markers are going to make anything on the road without them look a little dated at night.

I've also read the GT-R has a pretty brutal ride. Whereas the R8 has been praised for it's supple ride quality.


After some thought, I ended up voting for the slower and more expensive car. And here's the reason: the undeniable performance advantage of the GT-R over the R8 can only accessed in rare opportunities, definately not in everyday driving. Thus, having a GT-R is like having nuclear deterrent: you know you can obliterate your enemies, but you have to ask yourself "is it worth the price?"

Whereas the comfort, build quality and sheer beauty of the Audi can be accessed on a day to day basis. And it's not exactly slow either.

It was a tough choice, given the GT-R has had a larger impact overall on the near-supercar market and is a total game-changer in the sub-$100 segment. I could say Nissan has done more than Audi to deserve my vote. But I think in the end, the GT-R is the logical choice and the R8 is the emotional choice --which is an odd thing to say about anything German, but there you have it. I voted for the R8 because I like it better.


M
 
JCE
But the R8 represents the beauty, comfort, and more everyday usefulness that the GT-R lacks...albeit barely. The Audi would be my pick for a daily driver for sure.

Surely the GT-R would be more practical? It at least has rear seats..
 
R8 is super overpriced for how it performes. 8:04 on the Ring? I know that the Ring doesn't determine the best results but its a huge margin compared to it's rivals. When you buy the R8 it's mostly on its looks, but even then it doesn't look that great, but neither does the GTR but atleast it has performance and more practicality.
 
Practicality is is directly influenced by livability.
 
Practicality is is directly influenced by livability.

Practicality is directly influenced by the suitability of it's purpose for the individual who owns or potentially owns it. If you need rear seats you need rear seats. Livability is a matter of personal opinion.
 
Back