2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_013.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_015.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_021.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_022.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_023.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_024.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_018.jpg

2008_Audi_A4_MotorAuthority_019.jpg

Audi of America today released pricing for two of its newest entries, the 2009 model year Audi A4 sedan and A4 Avant. Pricing for the base sedan, which comes with a 211hp (157kW) 2.0L TFSI engine, starts at $32,700, while the A4 Avant will start at $34,500. First deliveries will start in September but some dealers will have vehicles available for consumer test drives as early as the week of August 10th.

The Audi A4 sedan can be equipped with either the all-new 2.0 TFSI four-cylinder engine or the 3.2 FSI V6 engine. The 2.0 TFSI engine can be configured for front-wheel drive or with Audi’s quattro AWD system. The 3.2 FSI is offered exclusively in the sedan and with the quattro all-wheel-drive system plus a six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission. The A4 Avant will be equipped with the 2.0 TFSI engine and quattro AWD.

New for 2009, the 2.0 TFSI engine features more horsepower and significantly more torque -258 lb-ft (350Nm) than the engine it replaces. Rated at 21mpg (11.2L/100km) in the city and 27mpg (8.7L/100km) on the highway, the 2.0 TFSI engine delivers better fuel economy, and when compared to the AWD versions, better 0-to-60mph times than most of its rivals in this segment.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/audi-reveals-pricing-for-us-a4-sedan-and-avant/

It's funny that the 4 cylinder produce more torque than the V6 version.

This thing is pure sex.

Oh man has it ever grown on me. I thought it was a bad facelift when I saw photos way back when, but time has done a good job! It's a step back towards the simpler days of Audi's design family! I'm in luuuuuve.

The 2.0TFSI is better than the 3.2 in every way but exhaust note. Apparently remaps to 265hp.

Are they bringing the diesel here? If so, how is its fuel efficiency and any word on its price?

The price is very competitive in the segment, it seems. It looks like the $32K mark here in the US is the magic spot, but to be completely honest, knowing that its FWD and has the 2.0T I'm going to resort to the same thing that I always say about the A4; You can get the "just as good" Passat with more kit for less money.

Sure, the A4 looks and drives well, but I'll take the bigger Passat that will cost less, be just as "reliable," all while being cheaper to insure and not costing me much in the fuel department either. That $10,000 in savings goes a long, long way these days...

Are they bringing the diesel here? If so, how is its fuel efficiency and any word on its price?

Supposely it gets around 21 city /27 highway.

I believe that the 2.0TFSI also have QUATTRO AWD available. Not sure how much extra.

The profile reminds me of a BMW a bit too much... Audi really needs to get that FWD and luxury sedans are best left to Acura these days.

For the price, I'd much rather have an IS250 with a manual. RWD, naturally aspirated, and similar fuel economy. And better looks.

Looking good. I expect to have a go in one soon.

<SNIP>knowing that its FWD and has the 2.0T<SNIP>

The article is unclear about this, but for the US market, the $32,700 base price on the 2.0TFSI includes quattro. I've read the FWD version of the car will not be available for a few more months stateside.

My initial pricing analysis:

The base car does NOT include these must have features: power/memory seats, auto 3-zone HVAC, auto dimming mirrors and bi-xenon lights.

On the plus side, leather seats, sat radio and glass moonroof are standard.

This compares well with the identically priced 328i, which comes with none of the above standard except for the auto HVAC and glass moonroof. xDrive is $1,800 more. The bimmer does bring more power to the table, however.

The G35 Journey, also identically priced at $32,700, throws in leather, bi-xenon lights and keyless start, but the moonroof, seat memory and auto dim mirrors are optional. Of course, the G brings huge power to the table.

The real sweet spot here is the $40,000 3.2 FSI, which is virtually "feature complete". Slower than the 335xi and G35x, but pretty price competitive against the G and a bit cheaper than the Bimmer. But once you dip into the 3.2 FSI S-line Prestige, I think the pricing advantage will evaporate.

Still, it's looking pretty good. Though the times when Audi was substantially less expensive than a comparable BMW or Mercedes are well and truly over.

M

Though mostly because the 3.2L is terribly outdated. Audi desperately needs the 3.6L version found in the Cayenne.

No they dont, nasty engine that. the 3.2 will get phased out and replaced by the 3.0 supercharged unit soon enough.

You can get the "just as good" Passat with more kit for less money.

LOL no you cant. Thats like saying oh I like the A4 but the volv0 S40 is basically the same car but cheaper so might aswell get that. Passat and A4, two completely different machines on the design sheets but sharing simiar engines and bits and bobs that do not define a vehicle.

2.0T available with quattro, if someone doesnt require 4wd the fwd is there to be a cheaper option for people who couldnt care less about rwd fwd or 4wd differences.

Last edited:
No they dont, nasty engine that. the 3.2 will get phased out and replaced by the 3.0 supercharged unit soon enough.
Regardless, the A4 has been down on power for nearly 3 years now because of how limited the engine range is compared to BMW.

LOL no you cant. Thats like saying oh I like the A4 but the volv0 S40 is basically the same car but cheaper so might aswell get that. Passat and A4, two completely different machines on the design sheets but sharing simiar engines and bits and bobs that do not define a vehicle.
I agree with this. This isn't the Passat Mk V and the B6 A4. Audi has reinvented the lower range to be (ignoring the A3) more than just tarted up VWs over the course of the B7 cars and the A5. A4s now drive differently from the Passat. They handle better than the Passat. They are actually BMW competitors now. Coupled with the fact that the Passat was moved downmarket after the W8 bombed means that you will get little more than a taste of the A4's luxury side and none of the sporty side if you go with the Passat.

Last edited:
That would depend greatly on which Passat model that you're buying. VW has baked in more than enough "sport" to keep VW fans happy, and for that matter, their cars are happily running circles around your average Toyota Camry SE or Honda Accord EX-L.

They very well are not one in the same, but I suppose I'm just plain crazy wanting to save $10,000 while getting 7/8ths of the car.

Oh man has it ever grown on me. I thought it was a bad facelift when I saw photos way back when, but time has done a good job! It's a step back towards the simpler days of Audi's design family! I'm in luuuuuve.
80% of it is beautiful. It's just a crying shame that the hideous 20% is all stuck up there at the front where it is blaringly obvious.

That would depend greatly on which Passat model that you're buying. VW has baked in more than enough "sport" to keep VW fans happy, and for that matter, their cars are happily running circles around your average Toyota Camry SE or Honda Accord EX-L.

I'm not really convinced this is true. Which Passat are you talking about?

80% of it is beautiful. It's just a crying shame that the hideous 20% is all stuck up there at the front where it is blaringly obvious.

Still not down with the Trout Pout, huh?

M

I'm not really convinced this is true. Which Passat are you talking about?

Across the board you're going to find that the Passat is going to one-up the competition in the crucial "feel" and "performance" categories, but quite certainly, if we're going to talk the 3.6L VR6 model with the "Sport Package" (creative title, eh?) will do pretty good. We're talking about running past 60 MPH in less than six seconds and handling that is more apt to be compared to some of the "other" German brands.

Certainly, the car is expensive, much moreso than the Accord and Camry. But, considering that its one of the last cars in its class to offer a fun to drive sedan with a four pot and a stick... The "lesser" 2.0T would be my first choice.

I like the car generally speaking but I'd much rather have an Impreza (along with many other less expensive cars). If I was looking for something sporting I'd go other ways, if I was looking for something comfy I'd look at other car as well. The Audi seems over priced in initial cost and I'd assume in maintenance as well.
All that bad stuff said, I'd probably buy the Audi over a BMW of equal price (but only if the Audi was all wheel drive).

Last edited:
Across the board you're going to find that the Passat is going to one-up the competition in the crucial "feel" and "performance" categories, <SNIP>

Not the B5.5 Passat loaner car that I had a few years ago. It drove more like a German Buick than a proper sports sedan. "Sport" was definately not "baked in" on that car.

If you're talking about the latest, greatest Mk VI Passat with the 280 hp VR6, well that's a $36,000+ car, several thousand more than the A4 2.0 and within easy shouting range of the 3.2. So I don't think it's a slam-dunk no brainer with that Passat either...

Additionally, I wouldn't lump the Accords together with the Camrys. In the right trim, packing the V6, the Accord is surprisingly capable. V6 Accords have been ripping sub 6 second 60s since the previous gen. The coupe version of the most recent V6 Accord is tearing off 14.2 quarter-miles and trapping at 102!!

M

Additionally, I wouldn't lump the Accords together with the Camrys. In the right trim, packing the V6, the Accord is surprisingly capable. V6 Accords have been ripping sub 6 second 60s since the previous gen. The coupe version of the most recent V6 Accord is tearing off 14.2 quarter-miles and trapping at 102!!

Not to mention that the GRM editors even suggested it would make a good trackday car!

Not to mention that the GRM editors even suggested it would make a good trackday car!

I'd believe it. One of wifey's girlfriends had an early 2000s V6 Accord Coupe (auto). I took it for a drive once and was stunned at how good it was at a fundamental level. Loose the granny tires, mount some sway bars, head for the twisties and the car could have given Acura CL-S drivers a heart attack (and cause E36 M3 drivers to do a serious double-take).

M

Oh, don't worry... I love my Accords too (Camry, not so much), as I have fond memories of the previous-generation V6 EX that I drove for an afternoon. I didn't like it as much as the Mazda 6s that I had driven (still my favorite mid-size sedan), but its a damn-good car.

M

Exactly... I know the Passat is pretty quick but I don't expect it to run circles over the Accord V6. It would be closer than you'd imagine...

The Camry has no chance. It'd be better if you replace the Camry with the Altima 3.5 coupe.

Indeed, the Camry isn't even trying for the same style (soft and cush, no sport at all). That said, the 626 I spent time with (comparable to the Accord of its time) was no competition with the Accord. Only after the switch to a 6 and not the 626 did Mazda seem to have a nice ride but I haven't tried it so I can't say how it stacks up to a comparable Accord.
Either way I'm still the type to look other ways... None the less, this is a thread about the A4 so I'd like to see what people think of comparable BMWs instead of Hondas. :sly:

...Or Acuras...

Really, to be honest, the A4 is going to have one helluva competitor with the SH-AWD version of the TL. Only problem is that the Acura is butt-ugly these days, so take what you want out of that. For that matter, those pesky buggers at GM are shooting straight at it with the Saab 9-3 TurboX, and now that Ford is kicking around the EcoBoost program, I'm sure they'll be happy to throw their Lincoln MKS into the fold as well.

Comparison with the new TL?! Audi wins hand down. Only person who would buy a TL would be Ray Charles (kidding...)

But the new TL is really that ugly. This Audi's main competitor is BMW 3 series, Infiniti G35/G37 and the Lexus IS250/350. Audi however lack serious power compared to the others.

Audi however lack serious power compared to the others.

I fully expect Audi to run the NA 3.2 V6 for one and a half, perhaps two model years before they switch to a new supercharged 3.0 V6 with ~300ish hp. Maybe something like 307 or 308 just so they can advertise more power than the 335i.

This would be a similar evolution to the 3-Series, where they launched the car with a 255 hp NA motor only to drop it 18 months later for the turbo motor.

BMW is no doubt anticipating this very move and is probably scrambling around in Munich preparing a return salvo. If I were a betting man, I would expect a return of the ZHP Performance Package to the 3-Series --the car's just received its facelift and probably has about 3-4 years left in it's life cycle so the timing is about right.

Competition is good.

M

Back