2010-2011 English Football League Promotion/Relegation

• Thread starter Famine
  • 59 comments
Ah, I was hoping Shrewsbury would nick the last automatic promotion spot from Wycombe, but it wasn't enough as Wycombe won their final match against Southend. I'll be hoping that Shrewsbury win the playoffs.

...Poor Dagenham and Redbridge got their arses blown away by Peterborough. At least Barnet managed to stay up! :D

May 15th
Premiership
Birmingham City - Fulham, Wigan Athletic - West Ham United; West Ham need to win or they are relegated. If West Ham do win, a draw for Birmingham will still relegate them (and Wigan too). A Birmingham win will see West Ham relegated no matter what and it'll put Wigan and Blackpool in very precarious positions - needing a significant goal difference swing next Sunday to survive...

Birmingham City 0 - 2 Fulham
Wigan Athletic 3 - 2 West Ham United - West Ham United relegated

Last edited:
Not strictly football league, but my beloved Wrexham crashed out of the Conference Semi-Finals 5-1 to Luton. Fleetwood crashed out 8-1, to Wimbledon!

It's either Luton or Wimbledon going up with Crawley; the final will be a close game.

Not strictly football league, but my beloved Wrexham crashed out of the Conference Semi-Finals 5-1 to Luton. Fleetwood crashed out 8-1, to Wimbledon!

It's either Luton or Wimbledon going up with Crawley; the final will be a close game.

It's still up in post 1 though:

Famine
Blue Square Premier
Top 1 Promoted, Next 4 into Playoffs for 1 promotion place.

Promoted

1. Crawley Town - P46, 105pt

Qualified for Playoffs
2. AFC Wimbledon - P46, 90pt
3. Luton Town - P46, 84pt
4. Wrexham - P46, 81pt - Eliminated in Semi-final
5. Fleetwood Town - P46, 78pt - Eliminated in Semi-final

10th May - BSP Playoff Semifinal 1 Leg 1 - Luton Town 2 - 1 Wrexham - Luton Town win 5-1 on aggregate
11th May - BSP Playoff Semifinal 2 Leg 1 - AFC Wimbledon 6 - 1 Fleetwood Town - AFC Wimbledon win 8-1 on aggregate
21st May - BSP Playoff Final - Luton Town - AFC Wimbledon

Urgh. My phone takes too long to cycle pages so I jumped straight to it, apologies.

Still, up the Bluebirds and up the Swans; Cymru am byth!

I find knowing the BSP promotion helps work out who Wednesday's opponents next year are.

Though we've stayed up somehow, so it's a bit superfluous now.

I find knowing the BSP promotion helps work out who Wednesday's opponents next year are.

Though we've stayed up somehow, so it's a bit superfluous now.

Ha, I like it. What're your expectations for next year? I've always enjoyed looking out for the results of 'sleeping giants'. Surprised Wednesday struggled as much as they did.

If you don't go up next year, there's a good chance you'll play Crawley the year after. They'll take some stopping.

If Megson's still there, my expectations are a season of inconsistency and a mid-table finish. If he gets his new signings we might reach the play-offs. If he doesn't, he's made it quite clear to the squad that they're all expendable and we could be anywhere.

I find it incredible that of all the 'big' clubs out of the top flight, Wednesday are one of the lowest ranked. I've always had a soft spot for them since I played as them on Ultimate Soccer Manager. The days of Kevin Pressman, Benito Carbone and John Sheridan are long gone. It's going some years back now, but I watched Wednesday play Wrexham in 2003/04, in what I believe was Paul Sturrock's first game in charge. You slaughtered us 3-0, and I was particularly impressed with veteran Chris Marsden and a certain young winger called Chris Brunt; he hit a stunning free kick.

I went as Wednesday on FM2009 and they had an impressive squad at the time; Tudgay, Wood, Purse, Hinds, Grant, Spurr and Simek. It's odd to think how it's all gone wrong.

I find it incredible that of all the 'big' clubs out of the top flight, Wednesday are one of the lowest ranked. I've always had a soft spot for them since I played as them on Ultimate Soccer Manager. The days of Kevin Pressman, Benito Carbone and John Sheridan are long gone. It's going some years back now, but I watched Wednesday play Wrexham in 2003/04, in what I believe was Paul Sturrock's first game in charge. You slaughtered us 3-0, and I was particularly impressed with veteran Chris Marsden and a certain young winger called Chris Brunt; he hit a stunning free kick.

I went as Wednesday on FM2009 and they had an impressive squad at the time; Tudgay, Wood, Purse, Hinds, Grant, Spurr and Simek. It's odd to think how it's all gone wrong.

Don't remind me.

My Sensible World of Soccer '95-'96 save contains the following Wednesday team:
Chris Woods, Roland Nilsson, Dan Petrescu, Ian Nolan, Des Walker, John Sheridan, Chris Bart-Williams, Chris Waddle, Klas Ingesson, David Hirst, Mark Bright, Kevin Pressman, Peter Atherton, Andy Pearce, Marc Degryse, Andy Sinton, Guy Whittingham. My '96-'97 save adds Darko Kovacevic (later to play in the Champions' League final with Juventus), Dejan Stefanovic, Regi Blinker (awesome), Orlando Trustfull, Paolo di Canio, Benito Carbone and Andy Booth.

What I wouldn't give :lol:

Oddly, my brother and I were telling my nephew (12 soon) about Benito Carbone the other week. He'd never heard of him...

I was born in the wrong age. I'm only 19 but my footballing knowledge goes further back than it ought to. Benito Carbone made Bradford look good, but I get blank stares from my mates when I mention him. Same goes for Tony Yeboah, Andrei Kanchelkiys, Tim Sherwood or Stuart Ripley.

USM 98/99; 4-3-1-2, with a di Canio, Booth, Carbone triangle backed up by supersub Ritchie Humphries was unbeatable.

I was born in the wrong age. I'm only 19 but my footballing knowledge goes further back than it ought to. Benito Carbone made Bradford look good, but I get blank stares from my mates when I mention him.

Beni was awesome.

Same goes for Tony Yeboah

How can anyone forget Tony Yeboah? Even though he played for :censored:ing Leeds, he was epic. That dipping 90mph shot he introduced himself to the Premier League with was awesome.

Oddly, the record for the fastest shot in the Premier League is still held by... Wednesday's David Hirst, with a 114mph ping off the bar - and it was the outright fastest shot ever recorded in professional football until a few years ago.

supersub Ritchie Humphries

Heh. I haven't heard that name - or that combination of words - in a decade or so :lol:

Well Famine, the best blast from the past I can put out there is... Lee Briscoe.

Stunning goal v Arsenal?

Congratulations to my felow countryman Pablo Barrera (West Ham United) for becoming the 1st mexican in The Championship :crazy:

I expect him to return to Mexico this summer... :ouch:

Well Famine, the best blast from the past I can put out there is... Lee Briscoe.

Stunning goal v Arsenal?

Ahh, the game - and goal - that no-one remembers except for one tiny detail... :lol:

Championship playoff final - the richest single event in the entire world of sport - is Swansea City vs. Reading. Fascinating :D

Championship playoff final - the richest single event in the entire world of sport - is Swansea City vs. Reading. Fascinating :D

Could you explain that to me? :confused:
That was mentioned in the largest selling paper in Melbourne today but they didn't explain how or the meaning of it.
Am I on the right track by guessing they are talking about the riches the club can expect to reap in next year in the premiership?

Cheers Shaun.

Could you explain that to me? :confused:
That was mentioned in the largest selling paper in Melbourne today but they didn't explain how or the meaning of it.
Am I on the right track by guessing they are talking about the riches the club can expect to reap in next year in the premiership?

Cheers Shaun.

Pretty much - but it goes a bit beyond that.

Each Premiership club gets money based on their finishing position (merit money - about £1m per place), along with a share of television revenues - about £30m each per season. But then they also qualify for "parachute payments" - any club relegated from the Premiership receives £16m each year for two seasons and then £8m each year for two more seasons.

By comparison, each team playing in the Championship gets about £1.2m a year in television revenues.

This means that the prize money for the winner of the Championship Playoff Final equates to £78-80m, even if they get relegated again the very next season (the range covers 18th-20th place in the following season's Premiership) - and £30m (plus the merit money) more for every season they stay up. There isn't a single sporting event in the world that nets the winner that much money over the second place or losing team/person - even the Champions' League final is worth "only" £30m...

Last edited:
I was hoping for an all Welsh final, but Cardiff played terribly. I though if it was to be Swansea v Cardiff, Cardiff stood a better chance of Premiership survival.

Still, Swansea have a great chance of going up. Dewch ymlaen Abertawe, Cymru am byth!

Pretty much - but it goes a bit beyond that.
*snip*

Thanks for the explanation mate. 👍

So apart from the prestige of playing in the premiership saying this game is important is an understatement.

Cheers Shaun.

I was hoping for an all Welsh final, but Cardiff played terribly. I though if it was to be Swansea v Cardiff, Cardiff stood a better chance of Premiership survival.
Swansea-Cardiff would have been a terrible sight. The violence and security is enough when there's just 20,000 supports, and considerably fewer away fans in league games. But to have even quantities of fans and so many more of them would have been a recipe for disaster.

But I disagree with your comments on Cardiff would have had a better chance. Cardiff are where they are thanks to buy/loaning players who are in the twilight of their career and can't get a premiership team (Bellamy exempt, as it was all a bit rushed). Their finances have been a crock of excrement the last couple of years to fund these habits, and that's considering how much more they'd have to pay in wages in the Premiership.

Swansea on the other hand have had improving finances since they almost went bust 10 years (and almost left the English league). And are surviving off good links with Spanish clubs and young players. Not ideal, but better than other options.

Anyway, can't say I'm a big football fan, but to see premiership teams come to Swansea would be great!

Swansea-Cardiff would have been a terrible sight. The violence and security is enough when there's just 20,000 supports, and considerably fewer away fans in league games. But to have even quantities of fans and so many more of them would have been a recipe for disaster.

But I disagree with your comments on Cardiff would have had a better chance. Cardiff are where they are thanks to buy/loaning players who are in the twilight of their career and can't get a premiership team (Bellamy exempt, as it was all a bit rushed). Their finances have been a crock of excrement the last couple of years to fund these habits, and that's considering how much more they'd have to pay in wages in the Premiership.

Swansea on the other hand have had improving finances since they almost went bust 10 years (and almost left the English league). And are surviving off good links with Spanish clubs and young players. Not ideal, but better than other options.

Anyway, can't say I'm a big football fan, but to see premiership teams come to Swansea would be great!

I'd say that now they've crashed out again, that's it for Cardiff. This was arguably their last 'good' chance of going up. I agree they aren't the club on the soundest of footings, but if they did go up, they'd secure more sponsorship et cetera and have been able to sign some better quality players. But, coulda, woulda, shoulda; it's over for them now.

Fair play to Swansea, I have been hugely impressed by them over the last 4 years. Hugely impressed. Sublime upturn in fortunes, a new stadium and such. A good pool of young talent and some experienced heads. We've had Joe Allen on loan and given him his first break and look at him now; a very promising midfielder. Similarly, to blow smoke up my own backside, Neil Taylor's moved from our non-league environment to bigger and better things. All the best to him.

It would definitely be incredible if they did get promoted, here's hoping.

---

Would not like to call Peterborough v Huddersfield, except: Goals. With Peterborough probably sneaking it.

May 22nd
Premiership
Manchester United - Blackpool, Stoke City - Wigan Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur - Birmingham City, Wolverhampton Wanderers - Blackburn Rovers; The last day of the regular season and still there's five teams fighting to not occupy two places in the relegation zone. Pay attention, 007, this is complicated...

Blackburn Rovers - If they win, they are safe. If they draw they can only be relegated if Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool all win. If they lose they can only be relegated if two of Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool win.
Wolverhampton Wanderers - If they win, they are safe. If they draw they can only be relegated if two of Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool all win. If they lose by one goal they can only be relegated if two of Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool win. If they lose by two or three goals they will be relegated if two results of Birmingham at least drawing, Blackpool at least drawing or Wigan winning occur. If they lose by four goals they can be relegated by two of Birmingham, Wigan and Blackpool drawing.
Birmingham City - If they win, they can still be relegated by Wigan and Blackpool winning better, unless Wolves and Blackburn draw... If they draw, they will be relegated if either Wigan or Blackpool win, or if Wolves or Blackburn lose by a huge margin. If they lose they will be relegated if either Wigan or Blackpool draw or if Wigan or Blackpool lose by one fewer goal.
Blackpool - If they win they can still be relegated if Birmingham win and Wigan win
better, unless Wolves and Blackburn draw. If they draw they will be relegated unless Birmingham lose or if Wolves or Blackburn lose by a huge margin. If the lose they will be relegated unless Birmingham lose by more.
Wigan Athletic - If they win they can still be relegated if Birmingham and Blackpool win, unless Wolves and Blackburn draw. If they draw they will be relegated unless Blackpool and Birmingham lose, or if Wolves or Blackburn lose by a huge margin. If they lose, they will be relegated unless both Blackpool and Birmingham lose by more.

Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 1 Birmingham City
Manchester United 4 - 2 Blackpool - Blackpool relegated
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 - 3 Blackburn Rovers
Stoke City 0 - 1 Wigan Athletic - Birmingham City relegated

Last edited:
:( Blackpool are down. I'll miss them very much. Everyone should miss them very much... :( :( :( They looked like they would stay up as well... :(

Still, at least the other entertainers Wolves and the punching bags Wigan are still around to play. Birmingham never really deserved to stay up, they haven't done anything for me this season...

Blackpool is gone... too bad :( ... I watched several of their games and they were very good ones. Hope they can return ASAP :)

Back