2010 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

United States
Houston, TX
astrosdude91
Here we are, the last race of the epic 2010 Formula One season. Red Bull Racing has earned the World Constructors Championship from their 1-2 result in Brazil, but the title race for the Driver's Championship is still wide open. It's still a four way race, mathmatically anyways. It all comes down to the Yas Marina Circuit. Somebody will be crowned the 2010 Formula One Champion of the World after 55 laps, but who will it be?

The 2010 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Yas Marina Circuit
yasmarina.png

Number of Laps: 55
Circuit Length: 5.554 Km
Race Distance: 305.361 Km
Lap Record: 1:40.279- S. Vettel (2009)

2009 Results:
1. Sebastian Vettel- Red Bull Racing
2. Mark Webber- Red Bull Racing
3. Jenson Button- Brawn GP​

2010 WDC standings after 18 rounds:
1. Fernando Alonso- 246
2. Mark Webber- 238
3. Sebastian Vettel- 231
4. Lewis Hamilton- 222

Last edited:
Final showdown, here we come!

I'd like a nice ending for a fantastic season. I don't really care who gets the title, but I'd like it to be hard-earned, and not given by a teammate.

So, I'd like:
a) Alonso to crush the oposition, win the race and become champion;
b) Alonso to be able to get between both Red Bulls and become champion no matter who wins the race;
c) Webber to crush the opposition, win the race, see Alonso finish 3rd or lower and become champion;
d) Vettel to crush the opposition, win the race, see Alonso finish 5th or lower and become champion

I wouldn't like any other kind of less bright 'n clear result.

So, I'd like:
Unfortunately, the one I see happening is Vettel leading, Webber 2nd and Alonso in 3rd. That would mean Alonso would get the title. Red Bull would then have to swap Webber into the lead to get the drivers' championship.

Unfortunately, the one I see happening is Vettel leading, Webber 2nd and Alonso in 3rd. That would mean Alonso would get the title. Red Bull would then have to swap Webber into the lead to get the drivers' championship.

It's going to be an interesting race to say the least.

You want to know what i'm hoping for? Each of the title contenders each coming into bad luck and none of them being in contention for the race win (Maybe problems in qualifying, or puncture on the first lap like vettel at Silverstone). I'd like to see a Mercedes 1-2 :lol: With the 3rd podium spot to Webber to give him the championship.

It's been a good championship. I don't think that Vettel will be able to win it though, I reckon that it's Webber vs Alonso at this point.

I would like to see McLaren mix it up and push Alonso down therefore creating the situation where:
Alonso has to battle his way to the front.
Vettel, Webber and Red Bull have to decide who they want to win.

Qualifying is going to be massively intense...

I really would like to see a situation where Vettel leads ahead of Webber and Alonso with ten laps to go. I'm prepared to bet a significant sum of money that Vettel will have an unexplainable loss of engine power for a lap or so just like in a previous race this season only to find the engine running as smooth as ever once Webber is passed. Then I want to hear the explanations from the Ferrari haters.

I really would like to see a situation where Vettel leads ahead of Webber and Alonso with ten laps to go. I'm prepared to bet a significant sum of money that Vettel will have an unexplainable loss of engine power for a lap or so just like in a previous race this season only to find the engine running as smooth as ever once Webber is passed. Then I want to hear the explanations from the Ferrari haters.

The only reason people didnt like the Hockenheim move was becuase it was so early in the season and the gap between Massa and Alonso wasn't that big. I think most smart people would find Red Bull using team orders here completly acceptable, although...

Should be a great race; cheering for Mark Webber 👍; hopefully decided between drivers and not 'obvious':sly: team orders :)

Here's a funny situation I wouldn't mind seeing: As the race unfolds it is Vettel out front with Webber and Alonso in 2nd and 3rd respectively. With a couple of laps remaining RBR give Vettel the secret message to reduce power and let Webber through so he can become WDC. The only problem is, after the swap is made, Alonso has a massive engine failure leaving RBR scratching their heads as to what they should really do, as they would rather have their golden boy win of course. They figure that Vettel deserves to win the race and thus the DC, so they once again radio in coded messages to their drivers to get them to re-arrange their running order...only problem is, Mark Webber is having none of it! :lol: After the race, all hell breaks loose within RBR and Formula 1 :crazy:

GM
The only reason people didnt like the Hockenheim move was becuase it was so early in the season and the gap between Massa and Alonso wasn't that big. I think most smart people would find Red Bull using team orders here completly acceptable, although...

Personally, I feel that people who argue that just aren't being realistic. Massa was nearly 80 points back of the WDC leader at that point and was 31 points behind Alonso going into Hockenheim, Ferrari and Alonso were already facing a uphill battle with RB having such a strong car, 9 times out of 10 Massa was clearly the inferior performer of the two (which has continued to be proven race after race since Hockenheim), - IMO, Ferrari were only being smart (look at how close the WDC is now after all the ups and downs) by putting all their eggs in one basket and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
If Alonso is leading from Massa I would like them to switch and give Massa the win on the final lap.

I still think Vettel can do it. I'm pretty certain he can at least win the race, now we just need some kind of misfortune in the Ferrari department or for Alonso to just be too slow.

GM
The only reason people didnt like the Hockenheim move was becuase it was so early in the season and the gap between Massa and Alonso wasn't that big. I think most smart people would find Red Bull using team orders here completly acceptable[/URL]

Although this is just my opinion, I believe the reason is far more mundane than that. After Alonso's 2007 season at McLaren where he showed his true colours, and the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix (didn't know about the plan my ass); he is the villan of Formula One. With Massa being one of the most liked people in the paddock, it was never going to go down well when he got 🤬 over by Alonso and his cronies...

Anyway, if I do not give my opinion on the up coming race this could be considered spam and unrelated. Red Bull should be the fastest here, go figure. I'd consider (however, feel free to disagree) Yas Marina to be rather alike the Hungaroring, because of it's tight corners and undulations. As we already know, Red Bull is superior here. However, those two long straights set the two tracks apart. Nobody should really expect the Red Bulls to loose out on the straights. Everybody said that about Spa and look where they ended up. I'm really hoping for Webber to win the title and not Alonso. Although if Vettel wins, Webber comes second and Alonso comes third (which given his form lately, is very possible); Webber can kiss the title adios. So then, we need someone to step-up and spoil Alonso's podium chances. My two favourites for this would be Rosberg and Kubica. However, I'm not holding my breath.

This is such a better choice for a season finale than Interlagos. It was the last race of the season last year, but not the championship-deciding one. I don't really care for either McLaren driver, but I would like to see them mix it up and make it difficult for Vettel, Alonso, and Webber.

I've wanted Vettel to win the championship since Bahrain.

I want Webber to win it (The championship), though I would put my money on Alonso.

I want Webber to win it (The championship)
I'm with you. He's in a great team, and he's a great driver. This could be his last chance to get a drivers' championship. Vettel is still quite young, so he's got plently of time.

When I first saw the track layout, it looked like a street circuit (except sector 2, more like Fuji) It lacks curves, and trades it for jagged corners (much like Singapore). As for the pit lane, I like it. There is time to be lost/gained there, but a crash inside the tunnel is a flaw.

I think the only way the championship situation could be more interesting would be if Vettel let Webber through in the last ten laps, only for Alonso's engine to give up a lap later ...

I'm putting my money on Vettel for the championship. It's far fetched but as we've seen in the past when Raikkonen and Hamilton won their Driver's Crown. We have to keep in mind Alonso has been running on used engines since around Singapore.

I don't really care who wins when all is said and done. I just like to see someone new win it.

I think the only way the championship situation could be more interesting would be if Vettel let Webber through in the last ten laps, only for Alonso's engine to give up a lap later ...

Won't happen. Vettel being Vettel will concede position (if he does it) between the last corner and the start/finish line ... last lap. So that everyone can see that he is "giving" Webber the title.

As much as I want Webber to win the title, I don't want to see it 'given' to him by Vettel (if the situation arises). And I'm not sure that Webber would want to win it that way either.

The race certainly could get interesting if the McLarens and Kubica get it together this weekend and take points off the other 3.

Rumor mill (i.e. Speed) says Alonso has a barely used engine that he can swap in before the race. If someone can confirm that, that'd be great.

That being said, I hope that it blows up on him and takes him out of contention early. Vettel and Webber have an epic fight to the finish, with Webber coming out on top and winning the WDC.

Won't happen. Vettel being Vettel will concede position (if he does it) between the last corner and the start/finish line ... last lap. So that everyone can see that he is "giving" Webber the title.
It's too risky. What if we get a situation like Brazil where Vettel's lead over Webber is twice Webber's lead over Alonso? Vettel would have to slow right down and wait for Webber to come through, and there's a very real chance that Alonso could slip by him as well. No, I think Vettel will simply turn down his engine and let Webber reel him in over the course of a few laps, let him through - maybe making a big show of it - and then turn the engine back up and ride shotgun for a lap or two to preserve the running order. If Vettel is going to give his position and the title to Webber, he's going to want to make damn sure Alonso can't get the better of him and get by. Especially if Vettel is doing it by choice. Of course, the trick is that Vettel need to find the right time and place to do it because if he's faster than Webber, he's going to start closing the gap up, and if Alonso is in the mix, the Ferrari could get them both ins quick succession.

I just think it would make everything a lot more interesting if Alonso retired after Vettel yielded to Webber. You'd no doubt have Marko ordering Webber to give the position back, Webber igoring him, Vettel trying his darndest to get the position back and Christian Horner trying to talk sense into everyone.

I just think it would make everything a lot more interesting if Alonso retired after Vettel yielded to Webber. You'd no doubt have Marko ordering Webber to give the position back, Webber igoring him, Vettel trying his darndest to get the position back and Christian Horner trying to talk sense into everyone.

Ok, in such a scenario what would be really, really funny was them both crashing and taking each other out, handing Alonso the WDC or - why not - Hamilton! :lol:

That would be the funniest end to a championship ever. I wouldn't bet against it though. Maybe a dodgy vettel overtake with webber weaving all over the road. :lol:

What are the odds of the championship being decided in the stewards room after the race after an ill-fated passing move on Alonso by Vettel or Webber?

That being said, I hope that it blows up on him and takes him out of contention early. Vettel and Webber have an epic fight to the finish, with Webber coming out on top and winning the WDC.

Hmm, Vettel vs Webber, This is not going to end well...

Ok, in such a scenario what would be really, really funny was them both crashing and taking each other out, handing Alonso the WDC or - why not - Hamilton! :lol:
Oh, yes. I was going to suggest Alonso retiring with an engine fault, Webber and Vettel tangling at the final corner and a disbeliving Hamilton getting his miracle and cruising through. I just thought it was a bit too far-fetched.

Last edited:
Oh, yes. I was going to suggest Alonso retiring with an engine fault, Webber and Vettel tangling at the final corner and a disbeliving Hamilton getting his miracle and cruising through. I just thought it was a bit too far-fetched.

Now that would be a surprising end to the 2010 Formula 1 season, Hamilton would be lost for words!

Back