2011 Australian Grand Prix

Before some mod asks us very kindly to get back on topic I'll add my voice here (seeing that Sonzilla did it), saying that I never found Ardius to be an aggressive poster in the many discussions we had these last few years. Quite the contrary.

And no, I'm not a member of the Ardius fan club :P

Before some mod asks us very kindly to get back on topic I'll add my voice here (seeing that Sonzilla did it), saying that I never found Ardius to be an aggressive poster in the many discussions we had these last few years. Quite the contrary.

And no, I'm not a member of the Ardius fan club :P
+1, except I haven't been here that long.

Now, I can see how you could read this with a mocking tone to it, but when I typed it out, I meant it in a friendly way. I don't see this as my fault, if you choose to believe I'm mocking you, fine but I assure you I was not. I am merely asking you why you feel there is a Hamilton-mania around this situation as its funny to think the FIA would overlook this. Its not personal, please don't take it that way.

The Hamilton Mania comment was referring to F1 in general. Not necessarily the Australian GP. The British journalists are particularly bad for it.

I've never felt Ardius come across as negative and sarcastic in his posts.

Most of the regulars here have been around a while and I don't feel that they are condacending, arrogant or insulting at all. I think we all have very strong opinions from what we have to say so it might come across in the wrong way. So lets just try to be civil about it and take things lightly so that we can have a productive forum. Just my 2 cents hope I didn't offend anyone. :nervous:

After reading the last couple of pages in this thread, it's obvious that the season is well underway.

Not only for the drivers/teams, but for the fans as well... :D

750+ pages of posts for a so-so race, sheesh.

Let's stay on topic everyone.

Rossticles, you were the 760th post in this thread. I'm guessing he's viewing it on a phone or something. Another forum I post at can be viewed on my phone, but it's one post per page.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all but I was surprised to see just how much faster the cars were in qualifying with the fully enabled DRS. I'm not sure what the all time pole position record is but I'm sure Vettel's lap must have been close to it seeing as though Schumacher's lap record is a 1:24 something and that was in race conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if the pole position times around high speed tracks like Monza and Spa were the fastest ever laps around the circuits.

What? You think the cars are faster than the past few years because they're getting close to the 2004 records in qualfying? They've done that most years, and they will be nowhere near the fastest laps at Monza and Spa because they're down at least 150bhp on the V10's.

What? You think the cars are faster than the past few years because they're getting close to the 2004 records in qualfying? They've done that most years, and they will be nowhere near the fastest laps at Monza and Spa because they're down at least 150bhp on the V10's.

Ok maybe not at Monza but Spa does require a lot of downforce as well as Straightline speed. With the DRS and KERS on the longest straights I wouldn't be surprised if the top speeds weren't far off that of the V10 era.

750+ pages? :lol:

I have my posts typed out for me by my secretary, double-spaced and filed, who mails them to me at a secret government location known only to me. I stamp the approved threads and posts, and mail them back to Jordan. Afterwards, he intertwines the approved threads with a loom, and final editing goes to the Administration crew at the textile mill.

Now here comes the tricky part: They and re-collate the posts in order go into a time machine to re-distribute the posts after scanning them onto microfiche and all images are disseminated with the finest 32 ISO paper with high-quality Zeiss lenses, using a time machine to put the posts in the correct order using a spectroscope, as well as a secondary time machine (called Dow X-Mashina) in case the order of posts are accidentally duplicated, not to mention the pages are not always mailed to me in real-time.

So that is how I get 750 pages of posts about the 2011 Australian Grand Prix motor race for single-seater formula class-one cars.

That, as the moderation team is only so human. :ouch:

So...Paul di Resta and Serigo Perez weren't all that bad, although one was lucky and the other unlucky in the final results. It seems these Pirellis will sort of benefit the newcomers because they don't have the same expectations of the more expereinced drivers; that advantage will certainly fade in the next few races, naturally.

The Vyborg Rocket did not disappoint. Heidfeld did, oddly.

Massa and Button had a pretty good battle going on the first third of the race.

So will Petrov make a serious case to join the Gang of Six (Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari drivers) this year; methinks he's on a bit of a wave since properly holding off Alonso last year at Yas Marina, but now we'll see if he establishes himself as the new team leader...and those awesome JPS-like colors near the front were a nice sight on the track again.

Were Vettel and Hamilton that dominant? They had 30 seconds on everyone, and after 10-15 laps there was a definate gap after you got past the fist 5-6 cars, but I suppose the new tires and new pit stop strategies had a factor in it.

I'm not sold on the DRS, to be honest. I stand that it just seems kind of artificial, although everyone could technically use KERS to outgun it. Seems silly having both technologies, in my opinion. I would rather the driver could control it (DRS), as an added skill/technology, rather than have be approved by a timing beam first. Oh well, let's see how it shakes out over the season.

I would rather the driver could control it (DRS), as an added skill/technology, rather than have be approved by a timing beam first.

I don't know that much about the DRS. Is it automatic with no driver influence whatsoever? I thought the driver had to press a button to enable it.

I really se no point in having it and then restricting it to just one straight on the track. Let the drivers use it where- and whenever they wish

the driver in front can't use it.

Only the trailing driver within 1 second can use DRS at specific points. You can use KERS whenever (up to the 6 or what ever second max per lap)

HRT'S excuse for being so slow is, their new front wings were held at customs.

I heard this at my work experiance Force India, (lots of people mentioned it), however we all think its complete B-S.

Your opinions?

Also Force India are happy with their results ;)
They also have believe that they can go much faster when they sort out some small niggles they had with setup.

HRT'S excuse for being so slow is, their new front wings were held at customs.

I heard this at my work experiance Force India, (lots of people mentioned it), however we all think its complete B-S.

Your opinions?

Also Force India are happy with their results ;)
They also have believe that they can go much faster when they sort out some small niggles they had with setup.

HRT's new front wing wasn't held in customs. Their dampers were held in customs, preventing them taking part in the final preseason test. HRT's new front wing failed the crash tests hence they had to use last year's in practice and quali.

I really se no point in having it and then restricting it to just one straight on the track. Let the drivers use it where- and whenever they wish

Agreed, it'd make for some spectacular racing.

Agreed. If they make it to easy for them to overtake it won't be that interesting.

Yeah at least the DRS isn't so great that people can just drive pass others on the straight. If they still have to outbrake the opponent then I think the system would work.

Were you being sarcastic? We do want to see more overtaking easy or not don't we?

I don't. Overtaking should still be difficult, and not artificial. I'd get no excitement from seeing one car power past another down the straight, it takes little skill from the driver. a driver should have to use his superior racecraft to pass another. The DRS is supposed to be there to get the following driver in a position to overtake, not to actually overtake.

Were you being sarcastic? We do want to see more overtaking easy or not don't we?

I don't. Overtaking should still be difficult, and not artificial. I'd get no excitement from seeing one car power past another down the straight, it takes little skill from the driver. a driver should have to use his superior racecraft to pass another. The DRS is supposed to be there to get the following driver in a position to overtake, not to actually overtake.

Exactly. It shouldn't be easy to overtake down the straight unless your in a Ferrari going pass the Lotus :lol: I want to see them work for that position like Button had to in the Australian GP. It shows that they have the ability to overtake.

Latest Posts

Back