2011 Ford Shelby GT500, talk me into or out of it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter GT5Junkie
  • 70 comments
  • 6,749 views
Wait for it to come out and buy the new Focus ST.
 
Wait for it to come out and buy the new Focus ST.

He's looking at a 500+hp car, has already called a 330hp or so car "too slow", and you suggest a 250hp hatch?




Honestly I don't know if the GT500 is the way to go right now... We know that the 5.4 is now quite long in the tooth (but well proven) and probably due for a replacement... 5.0 cars will be somewhat better balanced in corners given proper suspension work (see Boss) and can match the GT500 in a straight line easily enough... Iunno.
 
I'm not one for American cars but I was watching spike one day and they had a turbo kit for the camaro SS and it boosted it an extra 100 HP. I was extremely impressed with the kit too, intercooler and hose clamps and even a catch can and everything included with the kit for a very low price for the quality kit they sold. Here's the thing though with your choices; you can buy the $35,000 (around that much) SS and a $2-4000 turbo kit and have as much HP as the the GT500 mustang which is around $50-55000. I would go for the camaro. personally I think it looks better too. You should broaden your vehicle search for the money you have. How about a used GTR? :)

That's why the 5.0 is still on the list (which is superior to the Camaro SS in virtually every way IMO).

For $5500 you can get a procharger kit for the 5.0 which puts rwhp in the 520ish range, which is higher than the GT500. I doubt that turbo kit is anywhere near 2 grand, btw, the ones I've seen are 6-7k, and a pain to install.

Equipped how I'd want it, a 2012 Mustang would probably run about 34k. Add 1200 for brembos and 5500 for the supercharger and I'm at 41 grand. That's only 4 grand less than the new Shelby I'm looking at, and my brand new 5.0 now has basically zero powertrain warranty.

I haven't seen any used GTRs for less than low 60s, which is out of the price range. There's one on autotrader for 58,5 but it's got over 40k miles on it and needs brake work. Something to think about though, I'd probably have to wait a year or so to really get a good one down into my price range.

He's looking at a 500+hp car, has already called a 330hp or so car "too slow", and you suggest a 250hp hatch?

Heh.

Honestly I don't know if the GT500 is the way to go right now... We know that the 5.4 is now quite long in the tooth (but well proven) and probably due for a replacement... 5.0 cars will be somewhat better balanced in corners given proper suspension work (see Boss) and can match the GT500 in a straight line easily enough... Iunno.

You've hit on what might be my primary concern. The 5.4 is a great motor, but it's definitely been around a while and could probably be significantly more efficient with some updating ala the 5.0. There's also rumors of it getting punched out to 5.8 liters and making 620ish hp for the 2013 Shelby. But if that happens Shelby prices may be back where they were a year ago, 5-10k over MSRP, and I won't be interested. Never know though.

Mild supercharged 5.0s are generally making 510-520 rwhp from what I've seen, while the stock Shelby is 475-485. But, how reliable are those 5.0s going to be? I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure. You're talking about 11:1 compression motor with cast pistons in the 5.0 versus 8.4:1 CR and forged pistons in the Shelby. Not too tough to see who's going to win the longevity title with that.

The valvetrain in the 5.0 is where the magic is happening though.

Actually I found a comparison where they compared the 5.0 to the 5.4 at varying boost levels:

8# KB GT 545hp 461lbft >8# eaton 478hp 459lbft(stock tune)
12# GT 650hp 532lbft > 12# KB Shelby 616hp 539lbft
15# GT 710hp ???lbft > 15# KB Shelby 637hp 576lbft
18# GT blew oil pump 2x cause of aftermarket harmonic balancer < KB Shelby 672hp 606lbft


At 8 pounds of boost (bone stock on the Shelby) the numbers look pretty bad for the 5.4, but the 12# numbers look pretty good for the Shelby IMO. An extra 4 pounds of boost is nothing to the Shelby, but 12 pounds on the 11:1 CR cast piston 5.0? Plus I don't think you're really going over 8 or 9 pounds on the 5.0 with 91 octane, so the 5.0 is going to be limited to the 550ish while 91 octane is easily good for 12 pounds (most say 15 pounds) on the Shelby, = 616 HP.

Plus there's the tranny issue, the TR6060 in the GT500 holds up really well. I dunno, lot's to think about. Like I said, the point you made is was one of the major cons IMO.
 
Last edited:
He's looking at a 500+hp car, has already called a 330hp or so car "too slow", and you suggest a 250hp hatch?

I was trying to sway him with a good car that has fully indepent rear suspension and that will, in comparison with other cars suggested, sip fuel.
 
I was trying to sway him with a good car that has fully indepent rear suspension and that will, in comparison with other cars suggested, sip fuel.

lol @ pulling the IRS card.

If he wanted IRS so badly he'd probably be looking at a Camaro. But what's this? The Camaro doesn't handle as well as the Mustang? Oh. Sips fuel? Mustang V6 says hi with 300hp on tap so it'll be just as quick as the ST despite the slight weight disadvantage.
 
I was trying to sway him with a good car that has fully indepent rear suspension and that will, in comparison with other cars suggested, sip fuel.
This is even more ridiculous than the usual IRS arguments. You might as well suggest a Toyota Camry for all the relevance the Focus has on this discussion.
 
If i was about thirty years younger, i would get the GT 500!! If i had the money to spend right now i would get one, in a heart beat!! I also love the Grabber Blue with White Stripes!!!!
 
Well, also remember that this year the 5.4 is all-aluminium. That means it can actually go around a corner without going straight off into a tree.
 
Wait for it to come out and buy the new Focus ST.

heh, this post (and the ensuing discussion) is even better than the M3 one.

About getting a new 5.0 and slapping in a supercharger, I remember hearing from a friend that has one about a supercharger option from Ford itself which, I'd assume, would also have a warranty?

however I might be totally off the rocker since alcohol was a bit of a factor that time, heh.

Anyone can clarify this?
 
I'm sure Ford Racing does offer a blower, but it's not from the factory, and I think comes with it's own warranty. Unless he was talking about the blown aluminum 5.4 in the GT500. Which is from the factory.
 
Wait a year (MY2013).

Just got a promotion and want to spend all your new cash? Dumb idea. Do not burden yourself with debt, in this case a car payment, until you're damn sure you're going to have the same job or better for the foreseeable future. Getting laid off sucks...getting laid off and having a $50k+ car you can no longer make payments on would suck worse.

So wait a year. You may feel you've earned the position and that you do a good job for the company, yet there are hundreds of people out there who will do the same thing for less and there are consultants out there that specialize in 'downsizing' and all of the sudden your new position may become non-essential.

Can you guess I've been laid off before?

Another reason to wait a year? How about 5.8L worth of reasons?
 
I'm sure Ford Racing does offer a blower, but it's not from the factory, and I think comes with it's own warranty. Unless he was talking about the blown aluminum 5.4 in the GT500. Which is from the factory.

No, he was talking about supercharging the 5.0 in his car. The guy is a semi-pro driver and has nothing more on his car than a set of R888s and he's always in the first three places at track days. It sure is amazing to see a bone stock Coyote eat all the more track prepared machines. Really lets you see how good the new Mustang really is.

I've told him with a set of different shock absorbers and more power he would be unbeatable. The blower would make him lots of good becase he usually races at almost 2 kilometers above sea level... or beyond, so even if it's only puffing a few psi, it would wake the car up a lot.
 
DSC01544.jpg



You'll regret it if you don't.
 
Wait a year (MY2013).

Just got a promotion and want to spend all your new cash? Dumb idea. Do not burden yourself with debt, in this case a car payment, until you're damn sure you're going to have the same job or better for the foreseeable future. Getting laid off sucks...getting laid off and having a $50k+ car you can no longer make payments on would suck worse.

So wait a year. You may feel you've earned the position and that you do a good job for the company, yet there are hundreds of people out there who will do the same thing for less and there are consultants out there that specialize in 'downsizing' and all of the sudden your new position may become non-essential.

Can you guess I've been laid off before?

Another reason to wait a year? How about 5.8L worth of reasons?

Not really worried about the job, tbh. I've been here five years and the industry I'm in is very hot right now and probably will be for quite a while. If I got laid off right now I could have three different jobs tomorrow. Worst comes to worst and the industry takes a dump then I pull 30 grand out of my 401k and pay off the car and get a job at McDonalds.

I've considered the 5.8 things but I think there's a high likelihood that it'll take 60 grand to get your hands on one and there's a big difference between that and 45 grand. It's something I'm thinking about though.
 
heh, this post (and the ensuing discussion) is even better than the M3 one.

About getting a new 5.0 and slapping in a supercharger, I remember hearing from a friend that has one about a supercharger option from Ford itself which, I'd assume, would also have a warranty?

however I might be totally off the rocker since alcohol was a bit of a factor that time, heh.

Anyone can clarify this?

It's true. BUT, AFAIK it's 525 HP (crank), the kit has a $7800 MSRP, has to be installed by a Ford dealer, and you end up with a 12 month warranty.
 
That sounds like a losing deal compared to the Shelby.
 
That's a whole different ballgame once any maintenance or repairs are required.
You can get extended warranty on those just in case anything breaks and if you find a good example they are pretty good cars. I would go for the 6MT though if I were buying used
 
Shame GTRs are still so expensive... Best combo for crazy power anywhere is a used GTR and a full Switzer performance package... Which reinforces the fancy gearbox to cope with the power.

GT500s are fun. No better car for producing copious amounts of tire smoke. Ugly, too... In a good way.
 
It's true. BUT, AFAIK it's 525 HP (crank), the kit has a $7800 MSRP, has to be installed by a Ford dealer, and you end up with a 12 month warranty.

7,800!!!!!!!!!!!! wow, wtFF? :scared: As Eric says, it sounds way off, You'de be b etter off with a Shelby.
 
Do it! A mate of mine has a 2010 model and it is an amazing car. The look, the sound, the power, I've never seen a car turn so many heads!
 
My immediate conclusion is thus:

"What the hell for?"

Honestly, why? I mean, I understand that the thought of 550 BHP is enough to tighten the britches of anyone, ultimately the point of the GT500 is greatly diminished with the introduction of the Coyote GT and the BOSS 302. Although the improvements brought to the GT500 over the past year have significantly increased the performance of the vehicle, it is still nowhere near as sharp as the BOSS, and considering the price difference, it seems like an unreasonable way to spend more money.

Furthermore, you're walking into a territory that is ripe with competition. Although you have expressed your thoughts against the CTS-V, you are getting far more car for your money, and more likely than not, you're going to be able to get one without a markup, likely for less than a comparable GT500. You also need to consider the Camaro ZL1, along with the updated Challenger SRT-8 while you're at it. Toss in the Corvette Gran Sport, BMW M3, Mercedes C63, and so on and so on... You've got a lot of options to deal with.

Here is the TL;DR
If you can get a GT500 at MSRP, who's going to stop you? Otherwise, you're better off buying a standard GT or a BOSS (if you can find one). There are too many options, and I would suggest shopping around.
 
You can get one for invoice. The one I'm probably going to buy should be about $45,700 out the door (incl. Title and license, no sales tax).
 
Buy a GT500. Run Low 12s. Throw some slicks on. Run 11s. Do basic bolts-ons. Run 10s. With a warranty.
 
Buy a GT500. Run Low 12s. Throw some slicks on. Run 11s. Do basic bolts-ons. Run 10s. With a warranty.
Unless these are Ford-supplied parts, no, not gonna happen if you're modifying & drag racing it. Even then, Ford won't necessarily cover it.
 
2011_gt500_order-guide.jpg


How can a sane person say no to that?
 
*Kona Blue GT500*

How can a sane person say no to that?

:drool:

It's... It's beautiful. Too rich for my blood though, give me an '11+ GT instead... Though, that too is too rich for my blood.
 
Unless these are Ford-supplied parts, no, not gonna happen if you're modifying & drag racing it. Even then, Ford won't necessarily cover it.

Depends on the dealer. ;)
 
Back