2012 12 Hours of Sebring- Completed.

• Thread starter Patrick
  • 397 comments
When i think about this race, it makes me sad... I still havent got over Peugeot pulling out. The audi/peugeot battle was allways superb action. i am heartbroken... Someone hold me while i cry.

I'm sad Risi Ferrari is racing this year. They're not sure if they'll race in ALMS this year either. :(

Im expecting to see Rocky in the #3 for Audi.

Does Audi REALLY need 3 cars? It's pretty much assured that they're going to win. Unless Toyota pulls some magic speed out of their hats.

Sarrazin in the Starworks LMP2 Entry? Awesome.

I'm hoping that the LMP2 Dominates the coverage, they seem to have a pretty competitive line-up.

Edit: Toyota= Rebellion

Last edited:
hawkeye122
Im expecting to see Rocky in the #3 for Audi.

Does Audi REALLY need 3 cars? It's pretty much assured that they're going to win. Unless Toyota pulls some magic speed out of their hats.

Sarrazin in the Starworks LMP2 Entry? Awesome.

I'm hoping that the LMP2 Dominates the coverage, they seem to have a pretty competitive line-up.

Audi is running four R18's for Le Mans. Two diesel and two hybrids.

Audi is running four R18's for Le Mans. Two diesel and two hybrids.

But that at least makes sense. 2 Hybrids, and if they suck, you still have 2 Conventional-tried-and-true cars. And it's a longer race. And they may get stiff competition from Toyota(Oreca-Toyota).

But at Sebring? I doubt that either of the ALMS teams will hold off the WEC onslaught for very long. And we've seen that the Audi diesels pretty much annihilate their Petrol counterparts. Overkill, but maybe they'll use it as testing time, since they'll be so far in the lead.

Last edited:
hawkeye122
But that at least makes sense. 2 Hybrids, and if they suck, you still have 2 Conventional-tried-and-true cars. And it's a longer race. And they may get stiff competition from Toyota(Oreca-Toyota).

But at Sebring? I doubt that either of the ALMS teams will hold off the WEC onslaught for very long. And we've seen that the Audi diesels pretty much annihilate their Petrol counterparts. Overkill, but maybe they'll use it as testing time, since they'll be so far in the lead.

Its lucky for ALMS that audi still cares enough to show up at all. i dont know how i feel about Scot Atherton sometimes. i know the economic slowdown wasnt his fault and he's doing his best to trim the fat to keep ALMS on life support but i have to wonder what else could be done to lure prototype manufacturers in to compete with Audi. Rule changes? Ad campaigns? I feel like every year i say to myself- "how can ALMS survive to next year?" nobody knows sbout it. you know what it needs is some friggin publicity
even bad publicity or a cheap nipplie slip form Patrick Dempsey, I DONT KNOW, SOMETHING!

even bad publicity or a cheap nipplie slip form Patrick Dempsey, I DONT KNOW, SOMETHING!

If what's written in the other thread is true, Danica Patrick would do wonders with such a slip, I think the ALMS should consider her instead. :D

Last edited:
Its lucky for ALMS that audi still cares enough to show up at all. i dont know how i feel about Scot Atherton sometimes. i know the economic slowdown wasnt his fault and he's doing his best to trim the fat to keep ALMS on life support but i have to wonder what else could be done to lure prototype manufacturers in to compete with Audi. Rule changes? Ad campaigns? I feel like every year i say to myself- "how can ALMS survive to next year?" nobody knows sbout it. you know what it needs is some friggin publicity

The most vocal of opinion on the matter is that the ACO needs to either handicap diesels severely, or allow the petrol cars more freedom in development.

But what many people don't see that running an lmp1 program is not easy not cheap even for a company like Audi and Toyota. Can't expect a privateer to run a development project on the scale of Audi on a budget that Pescarolo had to make do with.

If I were the ACO I'd limit diesels to 2.5 liters while petrol can be 3.5 liters for turbocharged machines and 5 liters for N/A machines with v10s as max cylinders for all cars. Where diesels win in torque they will lose in power (hypothetically).

But I can see Audi writing my name on the enemies list though.

Hun200kmh
If what's written in the other thread is true, Danica Patrick would do wonders with such a slip, I think the ALMS should consider her instead. :D

You want more crashed LMP or GT cars? :lol: :sly:

Yeah. Hopefully most of her ignorant fans would figure out the difference between an Sports prototype and a Nascar. :lol:

Audi released their line-up for Sebring, Spa and Le Mans.

Sebring 12 Hours

#1 - Audi R18 TDI
Marcel Fassle
Andre Lotterer
Benoit Treluyer

#2 - Audi R18 TDI
Dindo Capello
Tom Kristensen
Allan McNish

#3 - Audi R18 TDI
Timo Bernhard
Romain Dumas
Loïc Duval (last year's winner in the Oreca Peugeot)

Spa 6 Hours and Le Mans 24 Hours

#1 - Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Marcel Fassler
Andre Lotterer
Benoit Treluyer

#2 - Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Dindo Capello
Tom Kristensen
Allan McNish

#3 - Audi R18 ultra
Timo Bernhard
Romain Dumas
Loïc Duval

#4 - Audi R18 ultra
Marco Bonanomi
Oliver Jarvis
Mike Rockenfeller

If I were the ACO I'd limit diesels to 2.5 liters while petrol can be 3.5 liters for turbocharged machines and 5 liters for N/A machines with v10s as max cylinders for all cars. Where diesels win in torque they will lose in power (hypothetically).
These ideas are now obsolete because the 2014 rules, based on either energy or fuel limits, will say goodbye (hopefully) to all displacement limits and other parametres (restrictors, boost pressures). Obviously these new rules won't solve the parity automatically since the two fuel types have different energy content...

Last edited:
Is the ALMS GT field significantly smaller than last year? Is Lotus running the Evora this year? Anyways I'm really looking forward to this, I'm off that whole weekend so guess what I'm doing:P

Sebring 12 Hours

#1 - Audi R18 TDI
Marcel Fassler
Andre Lotterer
Benoit Treluyer
(Good Call, tried and true team who perform well under pressure, it seems)

#2 - Audi R18 TDI
Dindo Capello
Tom Kristensen
Allan McNish
(Also a good call to get all of the experienced guys in the race.)

#3 - Audi R18 TDI
Timo Bernhard
Romain Dumas
Loïc Duval
(I guess I was wrong about Rocky. Duval is a pretty safe bet, assuming they've given him some testing time in the R18)

Spa 6 Hours and Le Mans 24 Hours

#1 - Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Marcel Fassler
Andre Lotterer
Benoit Treluyer
(Figures)

#2 - Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Dindo Capello
Tom Kristensen
Allan McNish
(Saw it coming. How much longer till one of them retires? An interesting call, putting the "Old Dogs" in the car with "New Tricks")

#3 - Audi R18 ultra
Timo Bernhard
Romain Dumas
Loïc Duval
(Keep the Sebring guys together, good choice)

#4 - Audi R18 ultra
Marco Bonanomi (A quick Google reveals that he was a Lower-Formula racer until 2009. GP2, Formula Renault, and the like. But other than that, it doesn't appear that he's been in the cockpit since 2009...)

Oliver Jarvis (Now ousted from DTM, maybe Team Joest wants to find some new talent from the DTM ranks for when the Porsche boys depart in a few years)

Mike Rockenfeller(DTM Ace coming back for more. Good to put him and Jarvis on the same car, for the purposes of already having a bit of a working relationship going.)

(This appears to be the Rookie car, with assistance from Rocky as the sort of "Coach". I hope they do well at Le Mans!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With regards to Sebring, I still don't think they need to be worried.

But for Spa and the 24, I think the #4 Car is a wild card. But it seems they put the Most Successful drivers in the #1 and #2, with the #3 being a sort of fall-back.

ALMS would get more TV coverage with her racing in the series.

or just go back to Speed where it seems like Endurence type racing is more Appreciated then ESPN whatever number its on. But look at what speed does at the 24 hours of Le Mans i could watch it from my couch rather than watching espn 3's coverage of Sebring or the entire ALMS on my computer

vetteman24
or just go back to Speed where it seems like Endurence type racing is more Appreciated then ESPN whatever number its on. But look at what speed does at the 24 hours of Le Mans i could watch it from my couch rather than watching espn 3's coverage of Sebring or the entire ALMS on my computer

ESPN sucks :lol: SPEED has great Le Mans coverage. They were good when they did the ALMS races too.

I like ESPN's coverage of the ALMS better than Speeds. I can go online and STILL re-watch the 2011 12 Hours of Sebring, and all of the other ALMS races. They have the 2 brilliant commentators from Radio Le Mans. Their pit/paddock coverage could use some work (Speed w/ Justin Bell, among others makes for a much better team) but other than that, I'm very content with the ESPN coverage. I wish they would cover the WEC too.

Edit: If Speed could deliver the Online, full live coverage (Not some BS view from the cockpit of a Corvette, and heck, playing the whole race instead of "Pass Time" and "Pimp my Ride" during the freaking race), AND have the Radio Le Mans guys, we'd be set.

Do we have any other gamblers here? I will take the Audi at Sebring to cover the spread this year. in fact me thinks they will lap the spread many times. but i'm open for a wager

Back