2012 Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 1,442 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland
Ireland
The__Luke
After 4 months out F1 is back and at one of the most exciting racetracks on the calender, Melbourne, Australia. The only thing we can gather from testing is that Red Bull and McLaren are meeting expectations, and Ferrari aren't, as for the other teams, no one knows. Will McLaren step up to the challenge for 2012? What about Fernando Alonso or Mark Webber after disappointing seasons last year? Or will Sebastian Vettel finger the competition for another year? It's time for the....

Qantas Australian Grand Prix
From Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia
575px-Circuit_Albert_Park.svg.png

DRS Zones:
There will be two activation points, one along the main straight like last year, the second will most likely be between turns 2 and 3 or turns 12 and 13.
Tyres:
Tyres used will be Soft and Medium, the tyres this season should be slightly more durable than last season, in an effort to make a two-stop strategy equal to a three-stop.
Standings:
Errrm, not yet:sly:
Weather:
Highly detailed forecast here
Rain likely Friday, small chances on Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:
Here are the times for the broadcast on Speed TV for those that get it. I won't be at home this weekend so I will be DVRing it.

Practice Mar 16, 2012 1:30AM ET
Qualifying Mar 17, 2012 2:00AM ET
Race Mar 18, 2012 1:30AM ET
Rebroadcast Mar 18, 2012 2:00PM ET

Think I'll watch the re-run of quali during the day on Saturday and pull an all nighter on Saturday night to watch the race. I don't think I can stand two consecutive nights without sleep :lol:

"Tyres used will be Soft and Medium, the tyres this season should be slightly more durable then last season,..."

It's than...

Vettel to win, Alonso and a Mclaren also on the podium. Hopefully it will be a good race, especially with it being on at silly o'clock.

Total guess, but I'm putting it out there.

A race of attrition.

"at silly o'clock"

:lol:

Is that legit English?

Anyway, not gonna make any predictions, gonna let myself surprise.

haitch40
Only get to see extended highlights :( damn you BBC.

That's why you have Sky. ;)

I'm thinking between McLaren and Red Bull for the win, but we'll get first indication after practice on Thursday.

"at silly o'clock"

:lol:

Is that legit English?

Anyway, not gonna make any predictions, gonna let myself surprise.

Yes it is. Sort of similar to Morgengrauen & Tagesanbruch, but in a more sarcastic and frustrated way.

I have Sky but not Sky Sports F1, and I'm spending most of Sunday doing some Cello workshop. Going be a bit of an anti-climax to the start of the season for me.

If I can go to bed... at all... I'll definitely be up to watch it live.

Tipping Vettel for a win, but wouldn't mind Alonso gatecrashing the Red Bull parade.

Id love for Lotus/Renault to come out of the box and beat Red Bull by 4 tenths on qualifying. But I doubt it.

Heres to a great first weekend for Hamilton and Mclaren!

You think the time is that bad? I'd have to stay up until the middle of the morning to watch anything. In fact, for any race that's in Europe, I have to wake up at around 6-7am, and for Japan, Korea, Malaysia, China, I have to wake up at a similar time as Australia. Canada and Brazil, and USA, will be the only races that I can watch in the afternoon.

All my races are at good times usually, it's ace.

Should be great, I like that it's been a murky few test weeks, and hopefully we will see some different colors at the front this year.

We didn't have a summer in Melbourne. This weekend looks to be following the trend. Cold, windy and wet... Should make for good viewing.

Hopefully I'm not standing out in the rain doing car photography when the race is on.

-

Alonso to win.

That is all.

Peter.
You think the time is that bad? I'd have to stay up until the middle of the morning to watch anything. In fact, for any race that's in Europe, I have to wake up at around 6-7am, and for Japan, Korea, Malaysia, China, I have to wake up at a similar time as Australia. Canada and Brazil, and USA, will be the only races that I can watch in the afternoon.

You think that is bad? Europe races are 5am for me. Too early to wake up, too late to stay up. Canada and USA start at 11am local which is still early for a Sunday, but it's no big deal.
Australia would be a good time for me (11pm local), but I'll be on an airplane towards Hawaii, which messes things up.

So the race starts at 11am our time. I pray that there are no extra classes at school on Sunday, since I finish at 10 :nervous:

I got all giddy when I saw the first race thread of the season was up. The 2012 season is finally upon us!!!!!!! C'mon Vettel! Pull the WDC hat trick!

Hopefully we'll still have some terrific racing this race and this year!

Boo. The first F1 race in ages that I won't watch live. :ouch:

I'd say it's between Red Bull, (if they are reliable) McLaren and Mercedes.

Looking for Caterham to get a point or two.

As for Ferrari. They have been trying to play down expectations with the Italian press. That means they really have issues.

... You go to school on a Sunday?

Sunday School? :D

-

Can't wait for the practices to begin. This will probably be the first time we'll be seeing the true shapes of the front-runners.

Some good news for Australian fans . We'll be getting the SkySportsF1 commentary for the races this year (Whether this will be a good thing or not).
Greg Rust ‏ @Thrusta1
Just 2 recap the @SkySportsF1 commentary on our @tensporttv 2012 F1 coverage starts with qualifying & the race @ausgrandprix.

For those in Europe complaining about the timezones, you deal with it for one race, down here, we deal with for more than half. Races starting at midnight or 1am on a Sunday night.

Its why I dont start uni till 2pm on a Monday ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back