2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
Please note that this thread is NOT for discussing the political situation in Bahrain at the moment and the moral or ethical responsibilities of the sport. That discussion is being carried out here. This thread is for the discussion of the actual race.

If the moderators see any discussion outside the events of the race, could they please delete them or move them to the appropriate thread?

Three races, three winners, and no clear contender for the championship (yet). Formula One now moves to Bahrain for the final race of the opening leg of the 2012 championship, and the last race before the all-in group test at Mugello next month. This may be the last chance for teams to score points they may not normally pick up before everyone has a chance to get on top of their cars' issues.

Round IV of the 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship is the ...

VIII Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix
from the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain

bahrain_international_circuit_map1.gif

One lap of Bahrain with Michael Schumacher:

Seven-day forecast:
Clear all week.
Very warm, stable temperatures (26-33°C) predicted through Sunday.

Lap Record ~ 1:30.252
(Michael Schumacher, Scuderia Ferrari, 2006)

2009 Results:
1st ~ Jenson Button (Brawn-Mercedes)
2nd ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
3rd ~ Jarno Trulli (Toyota)

2012 standings (after three races):
1st ~ Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 45 points
2nd ~ Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 43 points
3rd ~ Fernando Alonao (Ferrari) ~ 37 points
4th ~ Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 36 points
5th ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 28 points
6th ~ Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) ~ 26 points
7th ~ Sergio Pérez (Sauber-Ferrari) ~ 22 points
8th ~ Kimi Räikkönen (Lotus-Renault) ~ 16 points
9th ~ Bruno Senna (Williams-Renault) ~ 14 points
10th ~ Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber-Ferrari) ~ 9 points​

Please note that this thread is NOT for discussing the political situation in Bahrain at the moment and the moral or ethical responsibilities of the sport. That discussion is being carried out here. This thread is for the discussion of the actual race.

If the moderators see any discussion outside the events of the race, could they please delete them or move them to the appropriate thread?

1) The start of a long stretch of 7AM races, YAY!!!!

2) Will be interesting to see if Mercedes can keep their pace during the race again.

3) Hopefully the DRS and KERS combo can make this usually boring race interesting like it has done with other usually boring tracks.

I think Mclaren will do good here, with Mercedes right up their backside.

Last edited:
I also have go ahead and think the McLaren will be very strong here again. We know the car could handle any kind of weather and heat so Bahrain is no exception.

Mercedes? Well, they without doubt will be the main contender in the qualifying session but comes the race, it's very obvious really that the heat there is extreme and the tyre wear will be the main factor for them.

For the first time, the race will happen at night time here in Malaysia so yes, I like it.

I think McLaren and Red Bull will be pretty good here with advantage going to McLaren. Mercedes will probably be the 3rd best team, but may struggle with the tires. Ferrari will probably have a similar result as in China.

Dry and Hot? Sounds like a McLaren 1-2, with Merc getting to the top 5 in Quali, and then falling off with their Tyre-eating car.

Hoping that Raikkonen or Schumacher will win.

I'm expecting a win for someone who hasn't already won this season. I'm also expecting it to be powered by a Mercedes engine.

Oh joy, Bahrain. My least favourite race. I think if there's as much action as China, it will be great, and I reckon Red Bull might get a win...

At least they are using the better layout this year. 2010 layout=:yuck:

Where is the DRS zone anyone know?

I think this race should finally show who's on top as far as championship contenters go. So unless there's rain (highly unlikely as we are in a middle of a desert) or a safety car expect what Murray Walker calls a "processional race"

The dominant McLarens will probably get a 1-2 in rather dull fashion. Bahrain has regularly proved to be a procession and is without rain or any sort of weather conditions. After the thrills of Australia, Malaysia and China, normality will resume once again.

I'm guessing Pirelli will decide on the hardest compound as the prime tyre.
This would likely to play into McLarens hands.
I think Renault and Red Bull to fight out the final podium.
Mercedes will show whether or not they have some actual rear end improvement in the warmer conditions.
Ferrari will...Alonso will be in the mix somewhere too.

The dominant McLarens will probably get a 1-2 in rather dull fashion. Bahrain has regularly proved to be a procession and is without rain or any sort of weather conditions. After the thrills of Australia, Malaysia and China, normality will resume once again.

It might not be that bad, the layout they used for 2010 was the endurance race layout. People said all the slow corners made following the leading car near impossible.

I've heard that Bahrain had okay races before that, can't really tell since I wasn't a fan of F1 then.

China always delivers exciting racing in my opinion (although it took a while to get there on Sunday!) but Bahrain has always been boring regardless of layout. Its going to be a race of mechanical failures!

It might not be that bad, the layout they used for 2010 was the endurance race layout. People said all the slow corners made following the leading car near impossible.

I've heard that Bahrain had okay races before that, can't really tell since I wasn't a fan of F1 then.

Bahrain is usually noted as one of the worst tilke tracks if not the worst.

I'm guessing Pirelli will decide on the hardest compound as the prime tyre.
This would likely to play into McLarens hands.
I think Renault and Red Bull to fight out the final podium.
Mercedes will show whether or not they have some actual rear end improvement in the warmer conditions.
Ferrari will...Alonso will be in the mix somewhere too.

Medium and Soft tyres.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/4/13187.html

Three races, three winners. I'm guessing that it's Hamiton's turn.

In the OP Rosberg should be on 25 points. You might have been thinking of Schumi who had 1 point before China. 👍

I'm also glad there's a race this week. :)

It might, but it didn't do much for Valencia. So I would rather set my expectations way low.

Valencia is a very, very tough circuit to overtake on while the Bahrain circuit is far more open for overtaking. I have some hope for this weekend's race to be an exciting one.

The DRS zone will reportedly be included on the back straight.
Both are dull as dishwater though. So they share that, which is what he was saying.
But each has very different features to it, in terms of setup and layout. The Pirelli tyres will respond differently to each. So just because the Pirelli tyres did not make for an exciting race in Valencia last year, that does not automatically mean they will make for poor racing in Bahrain six months later - especially as the teams have no data on how the Pirellis will respond to the surface in Bahrain.

I'm guessing that if there's excitement in Bahrain, it'll be due to the differences in set-up between the Merc and the McLaren... Mercedes might just take another pole here, but Lewis could, finally, win here.

The upgrades on Webber's car in China showed a lot of promise. If Vettel can get the car to his liking, he might finally be in the hunt.

Back