2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Narain will bring the rain in Bahrain. Vettel will feel the pain...

The rain in Bahrain falls mainly on Narain.

epic%2Bwin%2Bsmiley.jpeg

So much win!

epic%2Bwin%2Bsmiley.jpeg

So much win!

WTF! I'm coming in here to only see some stupid rhymes of rain in Bahrain falling on Narain.

*Yo dawg I herd you like rhymes, so I put ma rhyme in yo rhyme, so you can read a rhyme while you read a rhyme!*

Last edited:
Don't mind us... we're just practicing for the next caption contest entry.

Which, I predict with 99% certainty, will feature a certain N. Karthikayen. :D

-

Mercedes is harping on about how they've finally figured out the tires... this race will prove it. If they've got tire wear right, they may just be neck-in-neck with McLaren throughout the season.

I don't have a problem at all, joke or not it's still against AUP.

Technically it isn't because the spelling in this case accurately reflects the meme on which it was based/and the dialectical influences of the person on which the meme was based.

PS get a sense of humour.

I really hope Bahrain can produce an exciting race. We're on the good layout at least.

I also agree with scrapping the compound rules. We could be in for barnstorming races if someone does a 4-stopper on options.

McLaren on pole, other McLaren to win.

Technically it isn't because the spelling in this case accurately reflects the meme on which it was based/and the dialectical influences of the person on which the meme was based.

PS get a sense of humour.

Sure thing I'll get right on it 👍

I really hope Bahrain can produce an exciting race. We're on the good layout at least.

I also agree with scrapping the compound rules. We could be in for barnstorming races if someone does a 4-stopper on options.

McLaren on pole, other McLaren to win.

Yeah I was sort of glad to hear that they went back to the old format instead of the Endurance one.

I believe the endurance format was only ever intended to be a one-off, but the organisers were open to using it again in future if it produced a good race.

I believe the endurance format was only ever intended to be a one-off, but the organisers were open to using it again in future if it produced a good race.

Well I guess the only way to find out would be to run it again down the road. One boring race on it doesn't tread water all that well for those who are against it.

I can't see it going ahead now with the incident with the Force India staff. If it does still go ahead then I would expect a McLaren 1-2 and possibly a bit of a shock with Michael Schumacher getting 3rd. The rest of the points split between Rosberg, Vettel, Webber, Perez, Raikonnen, Grosjean and Alonso.

I can't see it going ahead now with the incident with the Force India staff. If it does still go ahead then I would expect a McLaren 1-2 and possibly a bit of a shock with Michael Schumacher getting 3rd. The rest of the points split between Rosberg, Vettel, Webber, Perez, Raikonnen, Grosjean and Alonso.

...Hope for another good race from Rosberg even though I have all my chips in the Hamilton camp for a win.

LMSCorvetteGT2
...Hope for another good race from Rosberg even though I have all my chips in the Hamilton camp for a win.

I wouldn't mind that happening either. I actually think that Rosberg is underrated and is starting to come out Schumacher's shadow

MatskiMonk
Give 'em all great tyres, do away DRS and KERS, and throw a competition caution 5 laps from the end - cheaper, simpler, easier for the spectator and no less artificial than we have now.

My name is Bill France Jr., and I approve this message.

Give 'em all great tyres, do away DRS and KERS, and throw a competition caution 5 laps from the end - cheaper, simpler, easier for the spectator and no less artificial than we have now.

What's artificial about KERS?

I didnt recognise the track, having driven it a lot when I played it in the F1 2010 game, I'm not sure which version I prefer, but this one definitely favours the high straight line speed cars like the Mercedes and Mclaren.

I'm going to put my money on Hamilton, though I might change my mind after the practice sessions and qualifying!

I wouldnt change the current formula for racing, the Chinese GP was one of the best races I've ever seen.

What's artificial about KERS?

KERS deployment in F1 is a push to pass system, a needlessly complicated and expensive one at that (oh yes sorry I forgot it helps promote F1's Green image LAUGH). Many would argue that giving drivers a button to push so they can power past the opposition is somewhat false, even if it may make it more exciting, and in that respect, not really any different to competition yellow.

KERS deployment in F1 is a push to pass system, a needlessly complicated and expensive one at that (oh yes sorry I forgot it helps promote F1's Green image LAUGH). Many would argue that giving drivers a button to push so they can power past the opposition is somewhat false, even if it may make it more exciting, and in that respect, not really any different to competition yellow.

I quite like formula Palmer Audi's system. A set number of boosts per race no recharges.

At the same time I don't mind the current system and liked f1 before KERS,DRS etc.

Its not push to pass though, its used for defending and can be used a little bit more tactically than the ordinary push to pass.
Most push to pass systems have a set number of uses, KERS is only limited by regulation and the space, capacity and weight of the batteries.

How is using KERS any more false than turning up a turbo or adjusting the fuel or engine settings?

I have no problem at all with KERS - its completely up to the driver where and when to use it and they can use it tactically to defend and attack. Nothing artificial about that, the driver still has to make best use of it as a tool just as much as he does with his tyres, fuel or his car overall.

DRS though is completely artificial and a stop-gap solution to a problem that has plagued wing-based formula cars for a very long time.

I quite like formula Palmer Audi's system. A set number of boosts per race no recharges.

At the same time I don't mind the current system and liked f1 before KERS,DRS etc.

I don't get why they don't just ditch the expense, complexity and weight of KERS and program a boost into the ECU.

edit:

Its not push to pass though, its used for defending and can be used a little bit more tactically than the ordinary push to pass.
A power boost is a power boost, however it's generated or used KERS isn't any different.

Most push to pass systems have a set number of uses, KERS is only limited by regulation and the space, capacity and weight of the batteries.
So KERS does have set usage too, the maximum amount useable over race distance is essentially fixed, it's no different in that respect either.

How is using KERS any more false than turning up a turbo or adjusting the fuel or engine settings?
If you mean other adjustments an F1 driver can make during a race I can't really argue that, other than the fact it was bought in to promote over-taking because F1 couldn't find a balance in the rest of it's regs. If you mean KERS compared to other PtP systems, I'm not saying it's more artificial than any other, just more expensive, heavier and more complicated.

I have no problem at all with KERS - its completely up to the driver where and when to use it and they can use it tactically to defend and attack. Nothing artificial about that, the driver still has to make best use of it as a tool just as much as he does with his tyres, fuel or his car overall.

I think KERS as a system is stupid, but I agree that the aspects you highlighted are just as valid as anything else.

DRS though is completely artificial and a stop-gap solution to a problem that has plagued wing-based formula cars for a very long time.

That I agree with. Maybe they should just do away with the expense and weight of the generator and battery systems of KERS, and use the expense and weight to develop fully active aerodynamics?

Edit 2: To drag this back on to topic a little... Bahrain may require Half-time Monster Trucks and Multi-ball to make it exciting.

Last edited:

This.

I don't have a problem with KERS at all. As Ardius said, it's like tweaking the engine or using a turbo of sorts.

But aerodynamics kill overtaking and the DRS is a drastic measure. I'm undecided on its usefulness and how it reflects on F1's image.

I wouldn't say aerodynamics kill overtaking per se, but certainly aerodynamics generated from wings struggle when they are in a turbulent wake from a car ahead in a corner. Whereas a car which generates its grip from ground effects instead of wings wouldn't be affected as much from turbulence but ground effects are more erratic over bumps and can be difficult to control on the edge. So I wouldn't make it as simple as aerodynamics to blame but certainly we can see that cars which barely rely on aero tend to produce closer racing and better overtaking opportunities.

Problem is, if you want to go fast, aerodynamics is where it is at. Almost all motorsport series these days has some form of advanced aerodynamics involved even series people don't consider heavy on aero such as NASCAR, BTCC or WRC.

I can't see motorsports dropping aerodynamics unfortunately but certainly more could be done to make the racing closer without having to resort to DRS.

Something that has puzzled me is why are F1 so adamant on keeping the underfloor of the car heavily restricted to what its aerodynamic enhancements can be. When in IndyCar, the underfloors are heavily modified and it appears the turbulent air created by the cars isn't so severe so passing is more regular without the need for DRS.

Latest Posts

Back