2012 Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 926 comments
Notice though that this was before the pit lane was widened, compare this onboard to Raikkonen's and notice that he had plenty more room and in 2010 Lewis nearly ran over a wheel gun because it was tight. Even that wasn't much of an issue then so it shouldn't even be brought up now.

I know, just pointing out to F1 Fan that if it wasn't an issue then (in arguably more dangerous conditions) it shouldn't be an issue now. Unfortunately selective memory often occurs when you're holding a grudge against someone.

Also:
Pz2cG.gif

I reckon Webber would have a good RB Air Race career after he's done with F1. :P

I know, just pointing out to F1 Fan that if it wasn't an issue then (in arguably more dangerous conditions) it shouldn't be an issue now. Unfortunately selective memory often occurs when you're holding a grudge against someone.

Sorry, I didn't know what that's what point you were making when you posted it.

I must say though... Kimi must have been right at home sliding all over the place in the final laps... God he must miss Rallying :dunce:

I really dont understand why didnt they pit him when button pitted... it was the right time to do it considering the timing of the second pit stop he made...

I'm not saying he drove a hell of a race but it wasn't average at all. He finished one place behind his team mate after being around 10 places behind after lap 1.

...because, he made up all those places when everyone else was pitting. It really was an average race for him. He didn't show much pace, he wasn't as quick as Webber, he had a lot of trouble overtaking (yes, he was down on top speed, but Hamilton and Webber... even Massa... seemed to have no trouble overtaking in areas that didn't require top speed).

By Vettel's standards, that was an incredibly average race. He just faded into the background and only ended up where he did through a flawed strategy call.

Whether you're a Vettel fan or not (not you specifically, but "you" as a general term inclusive of everyone) I struggle to see how any of it was particularly impressive. If it was, then there were probably 15 other drivers in that race who were more impressive...

I reckon Webber would have a good RB Air Race career after he's done with F1. :P

Just slightly off-topic, but the RB Air Race has been cancelled for this year and the future is still pretty much uncertain at the moment.

Anyway, the more I looked at that, the more I thought of how the F1 cars looked like as a dragster. Seems out of place :lol:

...because, he made up all those places when everyone else was pitting. It really was an average race for him. He didn't show much pace, he wasn't as quick as Webber, he had a lot of trouble overtaking (yes, he was down on top speed, but Hamilton and Webber... even Massa... seemed to have no trouble overtaking in areas that didn't require top speed).

By Vettel's standards, that was an incredibly average race. He just faded into the background and only ended up where he did through a flawed strategy call.

Whether you're a Vettel fan or not (not you specifically, but "you" as a general term inclusive of everyone) I struggle to see how any of it was particularly impressive. If it was, then there were probably 15 other drivers in that race who were more impressive...

Whether he got his positions from others pitting is irrelevant, all that matters is where you finish. It's not like he didn't pit at all either, he just pit at the right times to jump them. Raikkonen was also on two stops and he managed to close the gap to him with plenty of laps to go, so his pace must have been decent.

Also:
Pz2cG.gif

Webber being the tallest f1 driver on the grid has no bottom to his seat, he sits directly on the chassis floor, so that would have been extremely painful.

Overall though, good race, well done rosberg for his first win and it was amazingly close the rest of the top 10 in the last few laps.

Also:
Pz2cG.gif

I bet he said «OH NO NOT AGAIN» :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whether he got his positions from others pitting is irrelevant, all that matters is where you finish. It's not like he didn't pit at all either, he just pit at the right times to jump them. Raikkonen was also on two stops and he managed to close the gap to him with plenty of laps to go, so his pace must have been decent.

It was still an average race. He just pottered about and collected places through strategy - and then lost several of them at the end. It's not a hard concept to grasp. He was very lucky, but that doesn't make it any more than an average race for him.

Also:
Pz2cG.gif

If that had flipped it could have been much worse than Valencia as a car comming round to find the car there might plow into it or go over it like a ramp.

Webber being the tallest f1 driver on the grid has no bottom to his seat, he sits directly on the chassis floor, so that would have been extremely painful.

Overall though, good race, well done rosberg for his first win and it was amazingly close the rest of the top 10 in the last few laps.

He was talking about it on BBC. He only mentioned that it hurt his neck.

And that could've ended very, very badly. I was fearing the worst when I saw that.

I was actually thinking: "Super-Webber flies again!" when I saw that. Then immediately went: "Ouch" when I saw the landing. That was HARD

He was probably saved by the stepped nose.

True but then its not a normal accident and Webbers car would be chucked halfway down the track because there are no wheels touching the ground to stop it.

Great race!! i really jumped up from the couch several times in the last 20 laps....great overtaking moments all over the place,and we really didn't see all of them on sceen unfortunately,there were just too many of them!!!

I feel really sorry again for shumi,he just doesn't get any luck doesn't he...!!!!

Also,Kimi....mate...if your team made you stop for tyres at a better moment as they did with your team mate ,you would have hade a good chance for a podium..,..really bad judgment there from the team!!

Well done Nico,congrats with your first win in F1....hope there will be more,but i really doubt that,think this will be a 1 off for you...nevertheless,well driven!!

I don't like Lewis at all,but he drove a fantasic race,big kudo's for him this time for how he overtook many drivers and kept cleen of Massa...;)

Good job from rookie(sort off...)Senna again,even with a damaged front wing he performed better than hid team mate...well done!

tired of typing now,but great race today!!

Spy.

Tom
Ferrari are obviously focusing on Alonso to produce the results and are putting him on the best strategy, whilst Massa has been put on the backburner and is there simply to aid Fernando. Give them both a chance, with strategies that will work and see what the result is. If Massa scores points then we know he has potential, if not then they know what to do.

I thought that both strategies seemed about equal. It seemed like Alonso might have even been better off with Massa's strategy. They both ended up around where they qualified.

I dont understand people saying that Vettel didnt drive well? he drove one hell of a race (and I dont even like him) and a very good strategy... only downside was the bad start.

When we say he didn't drive well we all mean compared to last last year. Obviously getting 5th out of the world's top drivers is amazing but he got 1st (and by a lot) almost every race last year!

It was a bummer that Lewis had to take the five-spot penalty after qualifying on the front row, so I guess I'm just pleased that he managed to finish on the podium. Had he been able to start where he qualified, I'm not sure that he'd have been able to take the win since Rosberg seemed pretty fast, but he should have at least been able to keep second. Either way, he's now leading in the points, so I guess I can be happy about that.

Perhaps some people have got so used to the stewards over-penalising Hamilton that they somehow expect that every tiny movement that could be bent into an infringement of the rules, should be penalised?

-Possible un-safe release by McLaren releasing Hamilton when Raikkonen was so close - but these kinds of pitlane incidents are very close-calls and its difficult to judge whether it was close because the release was too late or if Hamilton was simply a little slower leaving the pitbox than the mechanic judged?

Pit lane is close to begin with also Hamilton was just fine same with Kimi, they had to obey the speed limit. I'm sure if Hamilton could have jetted out of there without Kimi's nose next to his side pod he would. Neither team have the ability to predict when another car is going to get released and it is only their job to watch out for cars coming down pit lane behind the car they are releasing. I've never heard of a un-safe release, but then again I might learn something new.

-Perez pushing Kobayashi onto the grass.
And all of these were pretty tame really, not worthy of penalty.

Not sure on this one, Shumacher was penalized when he did it to Rubens. Yet Alonso doing it to Vettel at Monza didn't get a penelty if I remember correctly. So it's a balancing act it seems with the rules on those type of situations.

Considering that Mercedes have said that Nico has been a bit harder on the tyres than Michael, its safe to bet that Michael could have easily followed the 2 stop strategy as well, and gotten himself a solid 2nd place behind Nico.

It was clear that Michael was racing To help secure the win for Mercedes, as he was more focused on trying to hold up the pack than to try and beat Nico. It's a bit unlike Schumacher to play the number 2 driver role, but I can respect him for it. He was really thinking intelligently today.

Exactly! It wouldn't be an issue, if some people stopped TRYING to find fault with drivers..

In an ideal world yes, but we know people are always going to nit pick drivers joking banter is fine. But outright hate toward certain drivers is just stupid, some people need to get over their ego at the end of the day and enjoy the race.

Considering that Mercedes have said that Nico has been a bit harder on the tyres than Michael, its safe to bet that Michael could have easily followed the 2 stop strategy as well, and gotten himself a solid 2nd place behind Nico.

It was clear that Michael was racing To help secure the win for Mercedes, as he was more focused on trying to hold up the pack than to try and beat Nico. It's a bit unlike Schumacher to play the number 2 driver role, but I can respect him for it. He was really thinking intelligently today.

He's been playing that role since the start of the season it seems. With him protecting the car from Cameras and helping Nico a bit and so on. It seems like Shumacher is more of a Hero than Anti-hero in F1 these days.

Back