2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

True, but Qualifying ain't over yet.

Webber 1st on hard tire? That's something... Though I don't know how hard everyone else is trying at the moment...

HRT definitely trying. They squeak through into the 107%.

If Alonso didn't improve changing tyres doesn't that suggest there was nothing left timewise in the car from the first time?

I have a feeling that if Felipe was replaced during the season the person who replaces him, no matter who it is will do no better. Like Fisichella in 2009.

Grosjean living on the edge there... Just one qualifying lap?

Still through... If Perez gets through, then Alonso is out. Fernando needs another lap to secure his place...

Massa out. Schumacher on the hot seat now...

Last edited:
Impressed by Senna. Being within 3 tenths of Maldonado was a good effort after being way off in Q1.
I have a feeling that if Felipe was replaced during the season the person who replaces him, no matter who it is will do no better. Like Fisichella in 2009.
Probably. Unless you can get someone fast with F1 experience. Only people outside F1 that fit that description are Buemi (tied to Red Bull/Toyota), Barrichello (lol) and Alguersuari. The only option within F1 is Perez. And even Jaime or Sergio would be a risk in that terrible car, as was demonstrated by Fisichella going from pole and 2nd place in the FI to being a backmarker in the Ferrari.

Cheer's for asking Anthony Davidson that question, Georgie. No one else could've done it,

RBR looking way off the pace, which is odd.

Lotus or McLaren to set the fastest time, in my opinion.

The upper midfield is incredible this year. Ferrari have gone from comfortable third to behind Lotus and Mercedes and scrapping with Sauber.

Ouchy times for Felipe... He was much less than half a second off Alonso... A place you'd expect to find Webber versus Vettel or Button versus Hamilton, but with Ferrari's poor form, it makes a world of difference.

RBR will just appear at the top of the time sheets this session.
Based on what? It looks like they clearly don't have the pace, like in Melbourne. Qualifying order looks like it'll be the same as Australia, McLaren - Lotus - Mercedes - Red Bull.

I think RBR will struggle here. Kimi absolutely monstering that car on the qualifying... Those hands! I've missed seeing that Kimi handwork... Perhaps all the front runners could do better on the next lap... I think Kimi was faster in Q2, same pace as Hamilton is at the top of those sheets.

It's possible those laps are all used tires... Even Vettel's.

Schumi second! Time for everyone else to get out on fresh tires!

Interesting... Vettel on Hard and Webber on Medium. Splitting strategy for race?

I hope that lap from Schumacher will shut up anyone that say he is too old.

EDIT: I know it's early, but McLaren domination this year instead of Red Bull? Ugh... That's much better...

Great time from Schumacher. Starts 3rd. Let's ponder what could happen if he gets a clean start tomorrow....

Alonso 9th. That Ferrari is just bile.

Great lap from MSC 👍 Hopefully Merc won't drop into oblivion in the race. Lotus are also doing a very good job, nice to see them back at the top.

But:

2966280w.jpg

Life is not so easy when you don't have the best car.

McLaren one-two! Schumi continuing his strong season in 3rd, Webber and Vettel split by Raikkonen who'll take a penalty and get knocked down to tenth tomorrow. Vettel, interestingly, was on the hard tire... He may just be able to win tomorrow if McLaren still have tire degradation problems tomorrow.

That's right, folks, Vettel is sacrificing qualifying pace for race strategy. RBR is playing this smart.

Worryingly, Alonso's slow Ferrari is on the softer medium tire. Ouch, again.

WTF? It's so boring at the front. Same team qualifies 1-2 for the first two races.

(!)

The Vettel Red Bull has pace in hand? The diff is suppose to be .5 seconds between the medium and hard... He was .4 off....In retrospect that is a stunning lap from Vettel.

And 4 tenths separate the top 8 :eek:....Anyone of those guys could have gotten pole!

no rain. Damn Raikkonen is a WHEEL MAN! Working that wheel!

The Vettel Red Bull has pace in hand? The diff is suppose to be .5 seconds between the medium and hard... He was .4 off....In retrospect that is a stunning lap from Vettel.

And 4 tenths separate the top 8 :eek:....Anyone of those guys could have gotten pole!

You're telling me they purposely didn't put it on pole, to instead race from midish pack?

I don't think so.

Back