2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 786 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
DNF's are the cancer to a pts fight. Great finds here I didn't know that was his record.

I remember hearing about how he either wins or crashes, never thought they were being that literal about it.

So BBC have moved the FP sessions to BBC2 this year but they're only showing the second half of FP1? Great move BBC.

I'd like to see Force India do well this weekend. They've been pretty consistent during the season so far and it would good to see them keep it up, maybe even bag themselves a podium. Paul di Resta, preferably.

I'd like either of the Mercedes drivers to win. Since Hamilton moved from McLaren, it's been hard to choose which team I support more. But after some of Nico's performances last year with Schumacher as a team mate, he managed to hold his own, even getting his first win. Then how well he's done this season with a few pole positions and even a race win, they're my team.

Cold temperature should help Mercedes. I just hope the weather doesn't change mid-qualiyfing like we saw in Australia and Malaysia. Seems to catch out Rosberg every time. He lead every session of those weekends except Q3 because of the weather/tyre changes at the end.

Hamilton should do well here. I'm still on the 2011 wasn't all his fault side. I want him to lead pole to flag so the media does a 180 degree turn about him wanting to be a rapper and a dog lover more than his race profession :lol: For a guy 'struggling' he was .09 slower than Rosberg in qualifying last round. Whoa.

Just watching the '11 Canada rerun on SSF1 :cool:

But found this on the internet:
379576_507853695936681_1831633596_n.jpg

What the hell was that truck made of for it to slice straight through her helmet like that?

She hit a loading platform that was in mid air, you can see it here, the bottom one.

QQHdY.jpg

Even at low speed it would have been like a knife edge.

Samus
She hit a loading platform that was in mid air, you can see it here, the bottom one.

Even at low speed it would have been like a knife edge.

That's the 1st footage I ever seen of it.

Got Tickets to the Pin Head. As also 4th row down. :D. Qualifing and Race. :D. Very Excited. 4th Time Going to Montreal for F1.

So it seems Lewis Hamilton has an addiction to brake fluid, in an interview with the BBC he said he is "sucking on the brakes". Either that or it's a new bleeding system Mercedes are using.

Oh my Pastor Crashe.... Oh F it I'm bored of typing that now.

All that sponsorship money is being whittled away on replacement front wings. He's been through what... 15 this season?

Hamilton should do well here. I'm still on the 2011 wasn't all his fault side. I want him to lead pole to flag so the media does a 180 degree turn about him wanting to be a rapper and a dog lover more than his race profession :lol: For a guy 'struggling' he was .09 slower than Rosberg in qualifying last round. Whoa.

Had he not lost so much time in sector 1 then who knows he might have been on the top step come Sunday, having said that I think Rosberg is slightly quicker at the moment.

Had he not lost so much time in sector 1 then who knows he might have been on the top step come Sunday, having said that I think Rosberg is slightly quicker at the moment.

Yeah I also believed so. Apparently Hamilton said he still doesnt trust the Mercedes the way he was trusting the Mclaren. So he can't attack as much as he wants.

FP1 wasnt really interesting. Nothing to note really atm.

I'll pick Di Resta for the win if that's OK with you.
I must know how you were able to call that.

He just topped FP1. I don't know what fuel/tyres or the condition of the track when he went out but that's somewhat shocking.

Not really shocking, the track was drying and he got the best lap in.

So in FP2 Mercedes are looking good on 1 lap pace again but not looking good on the long runs, Ferrari and RB looking stronger.

Yeah I also believed so. Apparently Hamilton said he still doesnt trust the Mercedes the way he was trusting the Mclaren. So he can't attack as much as he wants.

The commentators in FP2 were talking about how a lot of it is to do with the brakes in the Mercedes not Suiting Hamilton's driving style as well as it does Rosberg's, something to do with Hamilton preferring to apply full braking pressure more quickly than most other drivers, which he can't do with the current brakes without risking locking up.

That's how I interpreted what they said anyway, I wasn't paying that much attention.

I'm thinking this is where Alonso starts to cut into Vettel's points lead. Also, I'm looking forward to see if both Force India cars can score points 👍

It was interesting watching and comparing Sky versus BBC over the practice sessions.
The BBC benefits hugely from Gary Anderson really. In a straight comparison when talking about Hamilton's brakes, Ferrari's update package or swapping Pirelli's left to right - Gary Anderson explained it far better and in much greater detail. Ted Kravitz tended to wander off on some random trivia or joke or whatever.

On Hamilton's brakes:
Anderson - explained in detail the differences between brake suppliers, how the brake fluid system works (and can affect a driver's feel), differences in driving styles, etc.
Herbert/Kravitz - generically talked about different brake suppliers but in no huge detail.

On Ferrari's updates:
Anderson - pointed out the curved sections of the front wing and talked about how the teams were looking to make the wing behave consistently over a race by avoiding getting too much rubber pick-up stuck in the slots. Also talked about the return of the side-pod mid-wings.
Kravitz - mentioned the side-pod mid-wings and then talked about Alonso's Spongebob Squarepants lucky charm.

On swapping Pirelli's left to right:
Anderson - explained (in greater detail on the BBC website) how they came up with idea with Goodyear when working at Jordan. Explained that the torque can cause an increase in the behaviour of toe-in or toe-out and that the pattern of the tyre structure affects this. Swapping sides can help promote toe-in (or vice versa).
Herbert/Kravitz - postulated that it might be to do with tyre wear.

Honestly, I almost don't care about the rest in terms of commentary. It's great to hear someone, anyone, finally know what they're talking about and able to talk in technical detail but still be understandable and interesting.
I used to think Kravitz was quite good, but seeing such a direct comparison with Gary Anderson really makes him look pretty amateur.

Ted tends to try to simplify things a lot, try to come up with relatable similies that anyone can understand because he's from a broadcaster/presenter background whilst Gary, coming from the background he does, just explains the technical stuff straight up.

Gary also spent a lot of time on the Williams front wing, talking about the slot gaps and the positioning of the FIA cameras and how they can affect the airflow, which parts of the wing were pretty standard within the rules and what they were more free to position. Very informative.

He does get some things wrong but for the most part I agree, he's the best part of the BBC team.

So it seems Lewis Hamilton has an addiction to brake fluid, in an interview with the BBC he said he is "sucking on the brakes". Either that or it's a new bleeding system Mercedes are using.

Supposedly the system McLaren had was much more efficient and to his style than what we see at Merc. Couple that with the failure during winter testing and wanting different rotors...and you get a story to why Lewis has been more easy on brakes, and beating himself up for not doing well enough.

Also I still say Vettel will be ahead of Alonso if the weekend stays cold and wet.

I think Lewis and Seb have a lot more time to give in qualifying after watching P2, Alonso or Vettel to win. I hope it's dry, wet races last too long and the element of luck plays too much of a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back