2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 366 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
With barely enough time for the teams to catch their breath its go,go,go again in Japan at one of the most famous grand prix's on the calendar. Can Vettel's run of wins be broken by either the Mercedes or Lotus's?? and with the midfield of the championship still very tight it is all to play for.

2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

caterham-f1-team-suzuka-japan-qualifying-2012.jpg

14dhhza.png

Race Date: 13 Oct 2013
First Grand Prix: 1987
Number of Laps: 53
Circuit Length: 5.807 km
Race Distance: 307.471 km
Lap Record: 1:31.540 - K. Raikkonen (2005)
2012 Race Winner: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing)

Enjoy.

Are you sure, Suzuka has been nothing but a bore-fest since it returned from two BRILLIANT Grand Prix's in Fuji. Apart from the crazy 2009 qualifying session, nothing too interesting has happened. The drivers may love the circuit, but I don't like it as a RACE circuit. Plus I find F1 cars racing near sunset annoying, with the low sun and orange 'filter' on the cars.

Are you sure, Suzuka has been nothing but a bore-fest since it returned from two BRILLIANT Grand Prix's in Fuji. Apart from the crazy 2009 qualifying session, nothing too interesting has happened. The drivers may love the circuit, but I don't like it as a RACE circuit. Plus I find F1 cars racing near sunset annoying, with the low sun and orange 'filter' on the cars.

Partially true. I have to write something positive though, I can't just say "Here we are in Japan for likely 1.5-2 hours of cars going round in circles one behind each other." ;)

However the circuit is one of the best known on the calendar and has had some great moments so I have to accentuate those when writing the thread intro. The races may not be as exciting as some however its rare that you get a completely event free race at Suzuka.

I have a revolutionary prediction: Sebastian Vettel will win the race and clinch his 4th straight championship, barring catastrophic failure. :dopey:

My prediction:

Damn boring race (at least up front) in one of my favourite tracks which makes me rather sad;
Vettel will win with ease, unless a sucidal gearbox or KERS system is chosen
First corner mayhem with (I hope not) Gro leading to chaos.
At least two retirements, Webber and Di Resta.

But, I'm still excited for this race

If Vettel wins and Alonso gets 10th or worse, WDC is over. And you know what? I hope it's over and done with as quickly as possible so that MAYBE Seb could redeem himself a little and let Webber pass for a win at some grand prix. Sadly that will never happen. He'll probably be pushing for pole, win and fastest lap every race like the little kid that he is.

--

If Vettel lets Webber take a win by the end of this season I'm not going to boo him in 2014.

If Vettel wins and Alonso gets 10th or worse, WDC is over. And you know what? I hope it's over and done with as quickly as possible so that MAYBE Seb could redeem himself a little and let Webber pass for a win at some grand prix. Sadly that will never happen. He'll probably be pushing for pole, win and fastest lap every race like the little kid that he is.

--

If Vettel lets Webber take a win by the end of this season I'm not going to boo him in 2014.

Why on earth should Seb let Webber take a win and what would it achieve exactly? Because of Malaysia? Internet F1 fans really can't let things go can they. They're also pretty childish,going by your last sentence.

The same reason Schumacher let Barrichello pass (although barely) at Indianapolis. He's got the championship and doesn't need any more wins for himself.

Also let's not discuss the booes again. What's childish is asking people to like, cheer and love not and not dislike, boo and hate. What kind of 21st century hypocritical nonsense is that? I'll boo whoever I don't like whenever I like. This isn't a reality show or a sitcom, people pay money to watch and earn the right to let the organizers/competitors know how they feel.

I don't remember any of you complaining about the booes during the 2005 farce.

---

What exactly do you mean by "internet fans", if you don't mind me asking? I'm pretty sure all those booes weren't through skype.

Heres my prediction:

Red Bull lock out the front row, with a surprise Mark Webber pole.

Webber gets bogged down at the start as usual and dives to the inside. Vettel gets a good start and tries to go around the outside of turn 1. Webber, too busy with his finger on the KERS button, forgets to turn the wheel (I mean, drivers have to do a lot these days, can't blame him really). Vettel and Webber are out.

Meanwhile, Mercedes and Lotus struggle for race pace after the first stint and this paves the way for Alonso to dominate and keep the championship alive. Nico Hulkenberg and Jenson Button have a race long battle ultimately for second place which is hugely exciting. On the podium, Nico announces that he's going to Mclaren next year and Perez cries.

The end.

Last edited:
The same reason Schumacher let Barrichello pass (although barely) at Indianapolis. He's got the championship and doesn't need any more wins for himself.

..and you think Mark Webber will want to inherit a win by Vettel letting him pass? No.

Also let's not discuss the booes again. What's childish is asking people to like, cheer and love not and not dislike, boo and hate. What kind of 21st century hypocritical nonsense is that? I'll boo whoever I don't like whenever I like. This isn't a reality show or a sitcom, people pay money to watch and earn the right to let the organizers/competitors know how they feel.

Erm, you brought booing up, not me. You'll notice Vettel wasn't booed in Korea, likely because the local fans have more respect, something common in the Asian culture. Shame other parts of the world don't have that common decency.

As has been said in the other threads about it if you have a problem with Vettel winning all the time boo the other teams and drivers, it's their fault.

I don't remember any of you complaining about the booes during the 2005 farce.

Yes because they were booing the product, not one driver.

---

What exactly do you mean by "internet fans", if you don't mind me asking? I'm pretty sure all those booes weren't through skype.

Fans. On the internet. They never let anything go, even when the drivers themselves put things behind them.

Heres my prediction:

Red Bull lock out the front row, with a surprise Mark Webber pole.

Webber gets bogged down at the start as usualy and dives to the inside. Vettel gets a good start and tries to go around the outside of turn 1. Webber, too busy with his finger on the KERS button, forgets to turn the wheel (I mean, drivers have to do a lot these days, can't blame him really). Vettel and Webber are out.

Meanwhile, Mercedes and Lotus struggle for race pace after the first stint and this paves the way for Alonso to dominate and keep the championship alive. Nico Hulkenberg and Jenson Button have a race long battle ultimately for second place which is hugely exciting. On the podium, Nico announces that he's going to Mclaren next year and Perez cries.

The end.

Stranger things have happened, as recently as this past Sunday.

MAYBE Seb could redeem himself a little and let Webber pass for a win at some grand prix.

The thing is, Webber would actually have to be near Sebastian for this to work. And it's funny that you criticize him for going for pole position and the win all the time. The other drivers are trying the same thing.

Indeed. Hamilton is saying the fans find it boring when one driver wins all the time and it's very valid point but it doesn't change the fact he would absolutely love to be doing the same thing right now, just as any driver would. They go out there to win.

..and you think Mark Webber will want to inherit a win by Vettel letting him pass? No.
Yes. He doesn't live in a fantasy world like you do, real people would appreciate the gesture.

If that was the case then Kimi would've been too proud to inherit positions from Grosjean multiple times this season and last year. Same goes withe very team order in history.

Matter of fact, Grosjean let Kimi pass without any team order at Bahrain last year. I literally saw Kimi wave "thank you" when it happened.

Erm, you brought booing up, not me. You'll notice Vettel wasn't booed in Korea, likely because the local fans have more respect, something common in the Asian culture. Shame other parts of the world don't have that common decency.
You labeled it childish. I don't normally respond to childish name calling(ironic, isn't it?), but I respected the discussion enough to dignify it with a response. Maybe you'd see the light.

As has been said in the other threads about it if you have a problem with Vettel winning all the time boo the other teams and drivers, it's their fault.
I'm sorry but that's just some stupid **** Vettel made up and some journalists fell in love with. So when the bad guy wins in a movie scene I'm not allowed to boo or hate him? I should just blame the good guy instead for being weak? BOOOOO the weak pathetic little girl jaywalking got her head chopped off by a gang of violent criminals!

Also, and for the 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th time, I for one am not booing Vettel because he wins all the time NOR because of the way he wins.

This will be the last time I say this. We boo him because we hate his ****ing guts and we don't think he deserves it. End of story. Got a different opinion? You think he deserves it? Fine, cheer for him and mind your own god damn business. When Brundle said "don't do that" on the podium at Singapore I wanted to punch the screen. Fans don't pay money to join a circle jerk. When C. Ronaldo screwed over England in 2006 he got booed almost every match in the premier league the following season. People hate him. Big deal.

Yes because they were booing the product, not one driver.
OH NOZ! The negative energy those people create!!!!!!11 How dare anybody boo a product? Disliking something is the work of satan :embarrassed:

Fans. On the internet. They never let anything go, even when the drivers themselves put things behind them.
:lol:. Where does the "internet" fan come in? Are you not a fan on the internet just like me, or are you a "better fan" than I am? Is "internet fan" some sort of derogatory term?

I think you need to stop trying to attack me with such remarks every chance you get and try to actually discuss what I have to say point by point.

BHRxRacer
Also let's not discuss the booes again. What's childish is asking people to like, cheer and love not and not dislike, boo and hate. What kind of 21st century hypocritical nonsense is that?

Actually, nobody said that in any thread. "Creating a Strawman Argument", "Missing the Point Train", "Hyperextended Argument" seem to be fair game, though.

Also, Vettel. And probably more Vettel. But I don't see Alonso doing that badly. And then, Vettel.

Next race, probably more Vettel.

The thing is, Webber would actually have to be near Sebastian for this to work. And it's funny that you criticize him for going for pole position and the win all the time. The other drivers are trying the same thing.
I'm not criticizing him for winning. I'm criticizing how much of a jerk he is, and attempting to let him know (via the booes) that he doesn't deserve the wins and that he's just fortunate to have a beast of a car when all the others proven superior drivers are struggling with their cars.

I'm not getting into why Webber hasn't been "near" Sebastian in the past, but I'll just ask you to look at the very last grand prix. Considering his car was set up for the race and he was only ~2 tenths behind, I'd say he had a great shot of outqualifying and outracing Seb if things didn't go so wrong as usual.

Indeed. Hamilton is saying the fans find it boring when one driver wins all the time and it's very valid point but it doesn't change the fact he would absolutely love to be doing the same thing right now, just as any driver would. They go out there to win.
Call me judgmental, but as much as I hate Hamilton I actually don't think he'd want to do that. He's impatient and hot headed enough he'd get bored. In video games whenever I'm ahead by a large margin I start letting go for the others to catch up a little and have a fight. I'm not saying he'd pull over for the competition, but he wouldn't lose his mind on the radio every time he wins and flip people off with the index finger

Last edited:
I'm not criticizing him for winning. I'm criticizing how much of a jerk he is, and attempting to let him know (via the booes) that he doesn't deserve the wins and that he's just fortunate to have a beast of a car when all the others proven superior drivers are struggling with their cars.

How have they proven themselves as superior to the guy beating them? Oh wait, they haven't.

Well, this thread is sure off to a cracking start. :rolleyes:

My prediction: Vettel in front of Alonso in front of Webber, whose car decides it should actually last a whole race.

Last edited:
Actually, nobody said that in any thread.
They've been saying that since the booes started. I must have dreamt people asking us not to boo then.

I didn't want to get into this, but it's almost 5 am and my tolerance level for guys like Samus calling me "childish" or "internet fan" is at a low.

f40
How have they proven themselves as superior to the guy beating them? Oh wait, they haven't.
They've actually won by racing through dirty air before. When was the last time Vettel won without leading the race from the start or having the guy(s) ahead of him retire? Oh wait, that's right. Never. Literally.

My prediction: Vettel in front of Alonso in front of Webber, whose car decides it should actually last a whole race..
..Without KERS, of course. That's assuming it doesn't start backwards.

They've actually won by racing through dirty air before. When was the last time Vettel won without leading the race from the start or having the guy(s) ahead of him retire? Oh wait, that's right. Never. Literally.

The point of qualifying, which occurs every weekend, is that you're supposed to lead from the start of a race. You don't start/end in first through a random draw, so your point is invalid. Besides, Vettel has achieved great results when he's had to fight through the field.

Yes. He doesn't live in a fantasy world like you do, real people would appreciate the gesture.

Oh do you know Webber personally, when did he tell you that? Racing drivers want to fight for a win, not be handed it. Do you think Schumacher was proud of his inherited wins? No, he pushed Rubens onto the top step in Austria he felt so stupid.

You labeled it childish. I don't normally respond to childish name calling(ironic, isn't it?), but I respected the discussion enough to dignify it with a response. Maybe you'd see the light.

Booing a driver you don't like winning isn't childish? Ok then.

I'm sorry but that's just some stupid **** Vettel made up and some journalists fell in love with. So when the bad guy wins in a movie scene I'm not allowed to boo or hate him? I should just blame the good guy instead for being weak? BOOOOO the weak pathetic little girl jaywalking got her head chopped off by a gang of violent criminals!

Yeah because that's exactly the same situation. Vettel isn't the bad guy by winning. The simple act of winning doesn't make you a bad guy.

It's nothing stupid, booing Vettel isn't going to make the other teams go faster is it?

This will be the last time I say this. We boo him because we hate his ****ing guts and we don't think he deserves it. End of story. Got a different opinion? You think he deserves it? Fine, cheer for him and mind your own god damn business. When Brundle said "don't do that" on the podium at Singapore I wanted to punch the screen. Fans don't pay money to join a circle jerk. When C. Ronaldo screwed over England in 2006 he got booed almost every match in the premier league the following season. People hate him. Big deal.

Who are 'we'? Isn't this 'I'?

OH NOZ! The negative energy those people create!!!!!!11 How dare anybody boo a product? Disliking something is the work of satan :embarrassed:

What?

Seriously, you don't see why I and others consider that childish? I'm also not sure how you've come to the conclusion of proven superior drivers, unless Seb has been in the same team as them without me realising.

Call me judgmental, but as much as I hate Hamilton I actually don't think he'd want to do that. He's impatient and hot headed enough he'd get bored. In video games whenever I'm ahead by a large margin I start letting go for the others to catch up a little and have a fight. I'm not saying he'd pull over for the competition, but he wouldn't lose his mind on the radio every time he wins and flip people off with the index finger

I don't know how to respond to this. Not only do you know Mark Webber you also know Lewis and you seriously believe what, he'd slow down to let other drivers catch up or drive slowly on purpose? Seriously, that's the craziest thing I've read in a while.

It's funny, last time I checked the objective of F1 is to qualify first and finish 1st. Do you want Vettel to purposely qualify lower to win the race with a bit of a challenge? Would you ever do the same, in the same position? This is what I don't get with all this, Vettel is only getting the best out of the car, what else is he seriously supposed to do? The above suggestion you think Hamilton would do, qualify at 90% and cruise in the race to let others catch up?

People also seem to pretend this is the only time this has happened. People keep going on that Vettel has only ever won from fourth or higher, well guess what? That's the same for most wins. Here is a handy chart from 2008.

grandprixwinsbygrid.gif

800 races and a whopping 3/4 won from the first three grid slots.

Hate his personality if you like but I'll never understand the hate for him going out there and doing his job each weekend.

Nah, I think Hamilton in Vettel's shoes would be wearing a T-Shirt saying "I'm so hot right now!"

I know this because I've built up quite a relationship with him through the TV screen.

Becasue its prevalent in one sport doesn't mean some of us F1 fans want it or should say nothing.

I find it quite sad how this lad Vettel is driving excellently around the world only to be greeted with boos. he should be enjoying his celebrations and not be marred through his career.

I wouldn't like it if Pete Sampras was routinely booed after winning. Achievement is normally respected even if the person is not well liked. People didn't like Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry and their dominance in Snooker but their achievement was respected during presentations. Don't you think it would be bad and taint the careers if after winning they were jeered because people didn't like their personalities.

Decorum my friend.

Also I don't know fans who stay around after the football match to boo the winning team. They leave and the remaining few rival fans actaully applaud or at least look on in appreciation, they don't spoil the celebrations. Who are these salty muppets hanging around afterwards?

Just thought what would be even worse is F1 fans booing Adrian Newey

Last edited:

This will be the last time I say this. We boo him because we hate his ****ing guts and we don't think he deserves it. End of story.

I love how people are so brainwashed by the media these days, they think that reality works just like a movie with a protagonist (your personal chosen driver) and an antagonist (the guy that keeps beating him).

Is there really a need to label these guys as "good guy" and "bad guy"? Can it not just be a competition between two (or twenty-two) guys, and the best man/team/car/whatever wins?

I don't understand the need to hate someone just because you can. Seems like a horrible way to behave towards people, and you're probably going to keep getting stick for it because people like that are generally described as "assholes". But best of luck to you with that.

They've been saying that since the booes started. I must have dreamt people asking us not to boo then. I didn't want to get into this, but it's almost 5 am and my tolerance level for guys like Samus calling me "childish" or "internet fan" is at a low. They've actually won by racing through dirty air before. When was the last time Vettel won without leading the race from the start or having the guy(s) ahead of him retire? Oh wait, that's right. Never. Literally. ..Without KERS, of course. That's assuming it doesn't start backwards.

If ya don't like it mate, don't watch it. Nobody's forcing you.

As for the whole Vettel thing, I'm not a fan, but I'm not sure how you can be mad at him for doing his job. He's paid to go out there and win races, and he's doing that very well. If anything you should be mad at the other teams/drivers for not doing their jobs and beating him.

Because its prevalent in one sport doesn't mean some of us F1 fans want it or should say nothing.

Here, here. The difference we need to all keep in mind that unlike Ronaldo, unlike guys in most any other sport, race drivers are risking their life, every time they go out on track. A guy has to do a Senna or a Busch, deliberately putting a fellow driver at greater risk of injury or death for the mere sake of revenge, for me to think boos would be justified. Nothing Vettel has done comes close to being in that ballpark. So he wouldn't gift Webber a win? So freaking what. Let the whinger move on to LMP so the rest of us can get on with business.

Anyway keeping with the topic of the thread.

I reckon it'll more than likely be a repeat of Korea but on Suzuka.

Vettel, Raikkonen and either Hamilton or Grosjean on the podium.

Won't be watching this one as I'll be in Florida unless someone local to Orlando knows somewhere I can watch?

Wow, getting a little out of hand with the Vettel thing. Just let it be guys, on each side, it's no big deal. I don't mind the booing though, I don't think it's a mark of having less class or anything, it's just group mentality at a sporting event, big deal.

I'm sure Vettel sleeps more than well enough at night. If it was actually affecting him though, then that's different. Also, I don't agree with what Simon said about Koreans being more polite, so no booing. Koreans aren't as into F1 as any of the other countries where the booing occurred. Singapore happened because it attracts tons of hardcore F1 fans from all over the world, it's like the fans' Monaco.

Anyway, wanna know what Lewis thinks?

b07Anjl.png

I think Mercedes could be quite quick in the first sector but I expect Vettel on pole with Webber on the first two rows. Vettel will win, Webber will drop out of the top 10 on the first lap for whatever reason, Hamilton and Rosberg will qualify well but drop back slowly whilst Kimi and Alonso make up places in the race after being outqualified by their team mates.

Yeah that's what I love about Suzuka as well with F1, first sector's front limited and the rest of it is rear. But RBR's going to absolutely destroy here with the balance they've achieved. Hopefully at least Merc can bring a little magic into qualifying to get Nico or Lewis up there to make Seb work even a little bit.

*Hamilton's twitter page*

I'll bet he was asked to put those 'clarifications' out by somebody in case he offended any sponsors. That I find really annoying. Mark and Kimi are probably the only two current drivers who say what they want.

Back