2013 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 476 comments
I was totally expecting Lewis to pass Kimi, that E21 is a tank going so quick with the damage. GJ to everyone really, to Paul for P5 too especially after Sutil took him out like that, wow.

Paul was out of phase with the pit stops. He didn't finish p5, he pitted after Button and finished 9th I think. Button finished p5.

Dont forget guys that the race finish is only provisional...theres a few investigations going on by the stewards...

An exciting strategic race to watch; one has to wonder if RBR got too clever for their own good in qualifying.

Anyway, my DOTD would be Ricciardo; he had an opportunity to convert a good qualifying position and raced a mature race to get his best result yet. Bottas gets a mention for outracing Maldonado and beating him on track in his third outing.

Ferrari have a pacy car - this looks like another close season brewing.

Definitely Webber at fault, he was too far back.

Is it a new thing to investigate everything after the race? Seems everything went that way.

I think they were referring to the current situation in the country, as it's not exactly entirely peaceful over there at the minute. The race was cancelled in 2011 after lots of people died during political demonstrations.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I knew of the political unrest, but I was guilty of assuming there might have been something more shallow afoot. I was under the moronic view that the issues had more to do with the track or race itself. Thanks for the info! :cheers:

Paul was out of phase with the pit stops. He didn't finish p5, he pitted after Button and finished 9th I think. Button finished p5.

Ah, I didn't notice my live timing froze. Seeing it now, he finished 8th, still a great result for sure. Thanks though.

Dont forget guys that the race finish is only provisional...theres a few investigations going on by the stewards...

None of them are getting penalized since there was a DRS issue relating to telemetry.

Good race, exciting battles all over the race as usual.

Driver of the day, Vettel / Räikkönen.

I wonder would Hamilton kept up with Kimi if the team wouldn't have told about Vettel. As soon they mentioned about it Lewis seemed to little bit panic. (As he tend to do more than other top drivers under pressure).

Good constant race for Alonso, nice to see Ferrari in 1st place for while. He seemed to very hungry for victory and fortunately got away from Kimi in the start.

Can't wait for Bahrain, good thing it is in a week. :)

Alonso's car reached over 320 km/h top speed at the front when Vettel's chasing from behind could barely go over 310+ km/h, I think both were on DRS, Ferrari has the straight speed pace over most of the other teams in this race.

Vettel getting stuck running Hulkenbergs pace to the 1st stop cost him 2nd place.I dont think he could have passed Alonso at the end but it would have been a very close finish.

Alonso's car reached over 320 km/h top speed at the front when Vettel's chasing from behind could barely go over 310+ km/h, I think both were on DRS, Ferrari has the straight speed pace over most of the other teams in this race.

Red Bull are always one of the slowest in the speed traps, this is nothing new.

Quite an exciting race to watch. Alonso in fine form, Kimi in shark like predator mode (never disappoints), and i'm really pleased Hamilton managed to fend off the hard charging RB (close, but no cigar Vettel). Also Button did well with 5th. Good race to watch. :)

[EDIT] The Hulk was quite impressive too.

Last edited:
So many McLaren drivers on the podium.

Too bad none of them were in a McLaren this race... :D

BBC Viewers: How shifty did Gary Anderson look when they found him? Deer in the headlights and stuffing things in his pockets.

Ricciardo drove a brilliant race, very good to see.

Also, getting easier to see who's giving way for António Félix da Costa next year in STR...

So the Ferrari is the best car car this year?
What do you think?! just asking!!

In race pace, probably, but Mercedes and Lotus are so close, RB too, but track dependant. Things will change though of course, still early.

Quite a boring race. Only excitement came really when Sebastian went on that charge at end, a bit like race against GT5 AI :lol:. Seems like no one is really racing, just driving around until the end and seeing how their strategy ends up at end of race. Hopefully what Pirelli implementing Barcelona onwards goes back to where they were in 2012 regarding tyres.

Tyre graining on Felipe's car shows that a car being out of the optimum window can be costly for a car that in right operating window being able to win comfortably.

@Saidur_Ali
What?

[x] Exceptionally many lead changes.
[x] Insane number of overtakes.
[x] Great tactical race.
[x] Not possible to call a winner after qualifying, unpredictable race too.
[x] In the end, best car this year on this track won.

Great race today. Well done to Alonso he really needed to win after the DNF in Malaysia.

Close finish at the end, the Caterham saved Lewis his podium I'm quite sure that Vettel would get him if he woudn't make that mistake before the long straight.

Points in standings looking close again, it will be a great seaon!

@Saidur_Ali
What?

[x] Exceptionally many lead changes.
[x] Insane number of overtakes.
[x] Great tactical race.
[x] Not possible to call a winner after qualifying, unpredictable race too.
[x] In the end, best car this year on this track won.
I found it really dull. Not real wheel to wheel racing, knew Fernando was going to win for quite a lot of the race unless he had misfortune.

The overtaking in general was mainly a question of when, not if and trying to do it without damaging your tyres as much as possible when running into people on different strategy.

This kind of racing, driving around, drivers asking if they should race against car or not which is usually a resulting no, it is sad how low F1 has been dragged to in my opinion.

The Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes all seemed to have similar inherent speed going by qualifying yet you did not really see them race because whoever had clean air or less graining would come out on top. If tyres had been better, we would most likely have seen Fernando, Kimi and Lewis fighting tooth and nail lap after lap. Instead the race was already over between them quite quickly. Lewis could not even attempt to overtake Kimi which was a bit disappointing to see but I already thought this would be the case as tyres are the crucial thing to get right and racing on track seems not a priority in this kind of racing as it can't really be done.

It is getting rather silly when you have drivers asking if they can race the guy in front or not. Most of the passes today weren't even fought, the driver being passed didn't bother because of, you guessed it, his tyres. As said above all of the drivers were just driving to their own schedule and if another car came up in that schedule they had to ask if they were allowed to fight them. Silly.

It is getting rather silly when you have drivers asking if they can race the guy in front or not. Most of the passes today weren't even fought, the driver being passed didn't bother because of, you guessed it, his tyres. As said above all of the drivers were just driving to their own schedule and if another car came up in that schedule they had to ask if they were allowed to fight them. Silly.

The DRS zones were too long, which didn't help. The overtaking was a given, I don't recall seeing a failed DRS-assisted overtake attempt.

Back