2013 US G.D. - Racecamp is finished! Nick McMillen (GumballCGT) is our champion!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 1,566 comments
Before the dog fight they did a coin flip and let Dan who won it pick the car he would use. We stayed in the same cars and did 2 races. It wasn't anywhere as close as TV made it look.

In qualifying for the final race my fast lap was not really a good lap as I caught up to Nick mid lap and lost probably .5 at least in the last sector. On lap 3 when I backed off I backed way off and somehow still caught up to Patrick coming into the last chicane on a lap that would have been an 18 something for sure which is why I was so pissed at him. Then I tried the pass locked up the rears over the bumps and had to spin it to not hit him.

Also the pass in the final race happened in turn 3 on the last lap not the final turn. Just made one stupid mistake and that was it. To be honest I was not pressured into the mistake as much as just struggling with a car that had no front bias on the brakes and locked the rears anytime you broke even slightly late or slightly underblipped on a downshift. My one regret from that race was not pushing hard the whole race instead of playing it safe like I did. I had a nice lead early in the race and didn't see the point in taking to many risks as I felt like I could keep the gap. Later in the race when Nick started closing on me my rear tires where very much gone so I was struggling for rear grip through all the high speed stuff. I think that was part of why I had so little rear grip when he passed me.

Anyways congrats to Nick. At least a SNAIL won. Gonna keep chasing the dream somehow.
I thought it was interesting that you were on the bubble and then went and set pole for the final race. That was pretty cool :)

Haha yeah I thought it was odd that everyone was saying it was the last corner when it was definitely the 3rd. That's tv for ya!

Yea it's not like losing the lead with a half a lap to go doesn't create drama. LOL. Oh well. One thing I found interesting was looking at last season's qualifying times I think everyone but Patrick would have out qualified last years top 4. Last years pole was a 1:21.4 vs my 1:19.8 or whatever it was. Just found that interesting. Not meant as a dig on anyone who made it last year just interesting.

Yea it's not like losing the lead with a half a lap to go doesn't create drama. LOL. Oh well. One thing I found interesting was looking at last season's qualifying times I think everyone but Patrick would have out qualified last years top 4. Last years pole was a 1:21.4 vs my 1:19.8 or whatever it was. Just found that interesting. Not meant as a dig on anyone who made it last year just interesting.

We noticed that too, but have been informed different tires (2012 descrbied as much worse) were in use so there's no way to extrapolate the data ;)

We noticed that too, but have been informed different tires (2012 descrbied as much worse) were in use so there's no way to extrapolate the data ;)
Interesting. I was wondering if our group was faster or if there was something else going on. Good to know. They should have an all stars race with the top 4 from each season some time. Would be fun to see where we all stacked up against each other (they could put another seat on the line for the winner). Just saying it could be awesome. LOL

Has anyone won GT Academy without winning the last final race? I'm thinking about if Hill didn't had made that mistake on the last lap, had he won GTA? What I've seen it seems like the winner of the last race is the winner overall but I might have wrong as I haven't seen all final races in GTA history.

All the races in the past have been winner of the last race takes all. This year they changed it though and were running a points system throughout the week and picking more of who they wanted. I just happened to win the last race which made it a lot easier decision for them :sly:

Has anyone won GT Academy without winning the last final race? I'm thinking about if Hill didn't had made that mistake on the last lap, had he won GTA? What I've seen it seems like the winner of the last race is the winner overall but I might have wrong as I haven't seen all final races in GTA history.
I was told after the show was over that if I had won the race I still wouldn't have won because my fitness scores weren't good enough. At one point they said there would be a challenge after the final race but I think they got the result they wanted so decided they didn't need the other challenge. The messed up part of that is that I was injured the whole week from the mud challenge which is why I wasn't even close in the fitness.

I have my own belief that they wanted Nick to win cause he is a talented young driver in his 20s verses someone in their mid 30s. They probably felt he fit the demographic they were looking for more which I can understand. Anyways I don't want to get into more in a public forum but anyone who wants to know more about my thoughts on what happened feel free to ask in PM. Just to be clear I don't have a grudge and truly wish Nick the best in his racing career. The better he does the better I look since I've proven I have as much if not more speed so I hope he becomes a legend of the sport.

Wonder when we're going to get our tax forms... got all my Mortgage and student loan interest stuff so GT Academy is all I'm waiting on now.
Anyone know from previous years if I'm going to be checking the mailbox in March?

How much was it? I'm afraid to know lol.

As long as your parents aren't claiming you as a dependent on their taxes you should be fine. If they are... well you're not getting a return this year but I doubt it will be very costly. It does apply as "income" so it just pushes your gross up toward a higher tax bracket.

It was worse for us in 2012 as well, having to pay taxes on all the extra swag we got.

SWAG Timothy

yer forgot about that here in Aus you don't get tax on your winnings.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a free lunch in the states (unless of course you're multinational corporation, in which case you can use creative accounting to make all of your meals free).

edit: got mine ... damn yo... $23,000?

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no such thing as a free lunch in the states (unless of course you're multinational corporation, in which case you can use creative accounting to make all of your meals free).

Did they fly you over first class or something? Thats huge!

Sheesh. Looks like the prize of just going to Silverstone was costly. Did they charge you for the fuel you burned while you were there?

23,000.?was that just for going to gt academy.

That's actually less than what I expected. I got dinged 3K for NYC it's around 20K for Silverstone.

Yep, $23k.

Just did my taxes:

Without Silverstone Trip: $2k Refund
With Silverstone Trip: I owe $5k

That was a $7,000 week lol.

*edit* to be fair, it was probably only that much because it bumped me into a new tax bracket.

Last edited:
Yep, $23k.

Just did my taxes:

Without Silverstone Trip: $2k Refund
With Silverstone Trip: I owe $5k

That was a $7,000 week lol.

*edit* to be fair, it was probably only that much because it bumped me into a new tax bracket.

Jesus and its only U S applicants it apples to.?

I don't know how taxes work in other countries, but at the very least it's a less expensive trip if you live in the UK since there are no flights involved, etc.

Jesus and its only U S applicants it apples to.?
Basically, any prizes won through contests is taxed based on its value. Based on some quickie math, that number is at least $336,000 combined for all contestants.
It did because I only owed 15% of the value for Finals.

Back