2014/15 UEFA Europa League

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 86 comments
And we took Besiktas' scalp! It's been since '95 when Bruges last reached the quarter finals in european competition (then we went out against Chelsea).
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif

Everton out, there goes the last British/English team left in Europe this season..

Quarter final draw

Sevilla v Zenit St Petersberg
Dnipro v Club Brugge
Dynamo Kiev v Fiorentina
Wolfsburg v Napoli

Quarter final draw

Sevilla v Zenit St Petersberg
Dnipro v Club Brugge
Dynamo Kiev v Fiorentina
Wolfsburg v Napoli
Seems were the only ones in this thread MUSC4EVER :D
Next hurdle for my beloved Bruges is Dnipro Dnipropretopropetovsks. Tricky as they will sit back and wait on the counter probably.

Seems were the only ones in this thread MUSC4EVER :D
Next hurdle for my beloved Bruges is Dnipro Dnipropretopropetovsks. Tricky as they will sit back and wait on the counter probably.

Should be no problem defeating them if you have people in your squad that know how to put a ball between the posts. Something Ajax seems to be missing every now and then.

Should be no problem defeating them if you have people in your squad that know how to put a ball between the posts. Something Ajax seems to be missing every now and then.
Didn't see that game but Dutch football is a bit too attacking for it's own good sometimes. Did Ajax get screwed on the counter?

Didn't see that game but Dutch football is a bit too attacking for it's own good sometimes. Did Ajax get screwed on the counter?

No, by a defender not doing his job, and the attackers not getting the ball in between the posts.

Every time they shot on goal the ball seemed to be filled with helium.

No, by a defender not doing his job, and the attackers not getting the ball in between the posts.

Every time they shot on goal the ball seemed to be filled with helium.
:D Sounds good (meaning Dnipro is doable). Hope we get the stadium filled for the home game as it's not the most attractive opponent.

Semi final second legs on in a bit, Sevilla lead Fiorentina 3-0 and its 1-1 between Napoli and surprise package Dnipro...

It's a good thing Charlie Whiting isn't the UEFA president or something, he would definitely red flag the Napoli game :P

Its Dnipro v Sevilla in the final, massive well done to Dnipro for getting to their first ever Europa League/Uefa Cup final! 👍

Anyone watching the final? Matheus just collapsed in the middle of the pitch with no one around him. He did get a knock on the head moments before which may have been the reason. Lets hope he's okay. Sevilla have just won the final 3-2 as well meaning they get automatic qualification to the Champions League. That also means that Spain have 5 teams competing in the UCL as well.

Yeah, I am watching. Let's hope he's ok, it's always scary to see that happen.

That also means that Spain have 5 teams competing in the UCL as well.

That is kinda ridiculous, isn't it?

Yeah, I am watching. Let's hope he's ok, it's always scary to see that happen.

That is kinda ridiculous, isn't it?
I understand why UEFA has done it (so that the Europa League is a more meaningful competition) but it is ridiculous that 1 country can have 5 teams in the UCL.

2 is enough. League winner has direct entry, runner up goes to preliminary rounds. And then the only exception of that rule is the winner of the Europa League also gets a ticket.

Irony being that the European Cup was a true "Champions" Cup; only domestic league Champions and the defending cup champions were permitted.

Balls to your money. Bring that back. How can one country have more than one team for a "Champions" competition? Were there four champions of England last year?

Well Done to Sevilla. I thought maybe Dnipro were going to take it. When they went 1-0 and 2-2.

I've got a question for the more BPL'y members we have here...

Why are outlets of the English media determined to pretend that English clubs don't care about the Europa League/now even the Champions League because they continuously fail to make any sort of impact on either of them? Listening to Talksport is one of the most hilarious things I've heard at times!

Tbf the Spanish league is easily the best atm. People say that it's a 2-team league but in reality I'm fairly sure the likes of Sevilla/Valencia would beat the 5th-7th placed teams in the Premier League.

I'd also like the Champions League to revert back to 2 teams per country. The same teams get to the business end every year anyway and it feels like there's two tiers of teams anyway.

The Europa League would benefit from this as well as it would become normal for bigger teams to be a part of it and would experience a lot more high-quality games.

Tbf the Spanish league is easily the best atm. People say that it's a 2-team league but in reality I'm fairly sure the likes of Sevilla/Valencia would beat the 5th-7th placed teams in the Premier League.

I'd also like the Champions League to revert back to 2 teams per country. The same teams get to the business end every year anyway and it feels like there's two tiers of teams anyway.

The Europa League would benefit from this as well as it would become normal for bigger teams to be a part of it and would experience a lot more high-quality games.
The best way to think on it is:

Sevilla win the EL - They were always going to win it, there's no competition!
Dinipro won the EL - This shows what's wrong with the EL, there's no real competition!

Congrats to Sevilla. Dnipro did well in the first half but really lacked quality in the second. La Liga continues the european dominance.

Latest Posts

Back