• 49 comments

MUSC4EVER

The story continues....
Premium
Wales
wrexham
jameskent86451
Jamobomb86
This great Summer of Sport continues with the Commonwealth Games starting tomorrow, 71 countries taking part with an estimated 4,500 athletes competing in 261 events in 17 sports

It will be televised across the BBC with the opening ceremony taking place tomorrow night at 8pm from Celtic Park and GTP's very own @Classic volunteering at the games!

I'm interested. :D :P

The opening ceremony is a cracker, and overly Scottish. So, there will be some funnies, great music and a helluva welcome. Hope everyone enjoys it. ;)

Pity they decided not to blow up those tower blocks. I reckon that would have been quite spectacular.

And here we go......

Er, don't think John Barrowman is actually Scottish?!

Last edited:
Er, don't think John Barrowman is actually Scottish?!

John Barrowman is Scottish, he just always speaks with an American accent in public. I'm quite not sure why.

Edit - BBC just answered the question. He moved to the US when he was 8.

Ah right.....Ah Amy Macdonald, that's better!

Playing Calvin Harris now, would've been great to get him to DJ for the show...

Last edited:
Just like to say that Celtic Park is looking absolutely incredible tonight.

Oh boy, absolutely buzzing for my first real shift now. Good show, Glasgow. Good show. :D

@Holdenhsvgtsr I take unbelievable pride that the one person the other side adore would step inside one of the most magnificent arenas in world sport. :sly:

Last edited:
Oh boy, absolutely buzzing for my first real shift now. Good show, Glasgow. Good show. :D

@holdenhsvgtr I take unbelievable pride that the one person the other side adore would step inside one of the most magnificent arenas in world sport. :sly:
It's fine I hate football.

It's fine I hate football.
That video did make me laugh. :lol: I know some people will be very bitter, but I can't see past the insane irony of the Queen being in Celtic Park and the English team getting a roar of support! :lol:

That video did make me laugh. :lol: I know some people will be very bitter, but I can't see past the insane irony of the Queen being in Celtic Park and the English team getting a roar of support! :lol:
And this look
04D1F0ED-066F-468E-95C8-9412F6AA62ED_zpswlqqdkl1.jpg

Bit of an uproar that the map of Tassie has been left of the Australian swimming costume.

Seems pretty consistent with modern times if you ask me.

Jedidiah Amoako-Ackah, the sole Ghanian cyclist in the Games is a friend of mine from uni. Can't wait to see him in action!

So England won the first medals of the games earlier in the Women's Triathlon, Mo Farah has pulled out because of Illness and the Men's Triathlon is on now with the Brownlee brothers leading the way...

...And Australia have just won Team Pursuit Cycling Gold, thrashing England in the final...

Last edited:
...And Australia have just won Team Pursuit Cycling Gold, thrashing England in the final...
That's pretty much the only reason why we go to the Commonwealth Games - to win medals. There's less competition than there is at the Olympics, and the media are still smarting about disappointing performances in London and Sochi. A lot of commentators think that the only way to represent the country is to win, which has led to a ridiculous as campaign about Glasgow being "the games where legends are made". The public don't care about it, and even the athletes struggle to show any degree of enthusiasm; certainly nowhere near as much as the media would like them to.

...well the people of Glasgow are loving it. ;) To be honest, with all the latest advancements being made Glasgow would be 'Sport City' if it was anywhere else in the world, Celtic Park, Ibrox Velodrome, Emirites Arena, Hampden park, Scotstoun sports center, Hydro and the SECC. Only to name a few, I know it isn't the Olympics. It's still pretty awesome and you'd see how much it means to some athletes, I've seen first hand. It's easy to make sweeping judgements but medals are medals and true competitors won't embarass themselves.

Was an eventful night at the Pool last night, the first Gold of the night was won by Scotland's Hannah Miley and the atmosphere was incredible after that and Ross Murdoch just managed to beat favourite Martin Jamieson in the 200m Butterfly

England top the medal table with 6 Gold 7 Silver and 5 Bronze, Australia in second with 6 Gold, 7 Silver and 5 Bronze and the Hosts are third with 5 Gold 3 Silver and 3 Bronze but that can quickly change as medals are being won all the time...

Australia top the medal table as things stand with 58, England second with 52 then a gap to Scotland in third with 26, Wales eighth with 17 and N.Ireland and Isle Of Man with 1 medal each

The BBC coverage of last nights action attracted just 3 million viewers....

Back